Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

There's probably 3/4 of those ICU beds full as it is, let alone the lack of ventilation devices. We're completely screwed if this thing lands here.

Said it yesterday the complete and utter "ah sure we'll be grand" attitude here will cost us dearly.

Just a few comments to be made|:

TREATMENT?
    - Vitamin C (ascorbic acid/antioxidant fights cytokine surge)Vitamin C replacement is only necessary if vitamin C deficient.
    - O2 Therapy This is useful if ti progresses to viral pneumonia. It's a supportive measure rather than a treatment
    - Protein Pump inhibitors (reduce replication)Makes no sense First of all it's proton pump inhibitor. Secondly, PPI's reduce the acidity of your stomach which means that micro-organisms are more likley to survive. Studies have been done in relation to norovirus and been on a PPI increases your risk of getting norovirus
    - NOT Aspirin (deceases Vitamin C)Aspirin only decreases the absorption of vitamin C. It doesn't decrease vitamin c level in the body. If you are not vitamin c deficient, there is no point in taking it as a supplement. your body ends up excreting the excess
    - Meds "protein pump inhibitors" / reduce Histamine OVER-productionIf you wanted a anti-histamine effect, would it not be better to use an antihistamine such as ceterizine or chlorphenamine?
    - Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix or Zantac (Ranitidine Hydrochloride 2-4 wks supply PP)
    - Prilosec, Operazole, Prevacid or Nexium (Famotidine 2-4 wks supply PP) These aren't all PPI's. Some are H2RA's.

!
    If looking for advice about medications/treatment, please contact a healthcare professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Also ginger and turmeric appear to be good.

Horsing the Ginger nut biscuits into me from now on :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Woooooooosh

Your attempt at being dim was very convincing, my bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just pulled it from one of the posts in the gab coronavirus group
    https://gab.com/groups/4077
    Ah that explains it.
    So it's basically someone who is a prepper, that makes more sense now.
    I don't think I will be rushing out to buy a shotgun and tripwires just yet...

According to wiki preserving lemons reduces the vitamin c levels from 64% to zero. So scrapping that idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

And is there any way to slow the natural response down to a level where it’s still fighting a virus but not not over exerting itself?

Not sure.

If looking for advice about medications/treatment, please contact a healthcare professional.

Dazzler, I know you work in the HSE as a pharmacist. Do you think that the health service should be issuing public safety announcements in regards to hand hygiene? If so, is that something you can raise internally to management or do you just have to wait like the rest of us to see if they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah that explains it.
    So it's basically someone who is a prepper, that makes more sense now.
    I don't think I will be rushing out to buy a shotgun and tripwires just yet...

I've got the shotgun and rolls of barbed wire already, I think we may survive down the country but they'll end up eating themselves in Dublin.
    We've natural spring water, loads of beef and plenty of trees to burn to keep us warm, only one road into the house which will be flanked by heavy machinery ready to shove any vehicle or person down into the river.
    I've this planned out, I'm going to survive it along with my relations and immediate family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Would you have a look at the literature on vitamin c and turmeric's effects on cytokine production and give your view on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Took one look and can already tell she's a lunatic

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17487-8

That's okay, my friend. Just means more yummy sauerkraut in the shops for the lunatics like me :)

I've got the shotgun and rolls of barbed wire already, I think we may survive down the country but they'll end up eating themselves in Dublin.
    We've natural spring water, loads of beef and plenty of trees to burn to keep us warm, only one road into the house which will be flanked by heavy machinery ready to shove any vehicle or person down into the river.
    I've this planned out, I'm going to survive it along with my relations and immediate family.
    You an always read world war z for more tips! :)

They could be thin on the ground shortly, I'm taking some echinacea for a bit of resistance until we get some official information of how to protect ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Following on from Blergh’s post, I have the following:
    A box of 50 Surgical Disposable Face Masks with adaptable nose bar. (Homecare Medical)
    6 x Vitrex Premium Respirator P2 Masks FFP2 (Home Base)
    8 x Vitrex Premium RespiratorP3 Masks FFP3 (HomeBase)
    8 x Harris Task masters Dust Masks. (Local hardware store)
    2 x 300ml Purell Advanced Alcohol hand rub (Homecare Medical)
    8 x 50ml (pocket size) Hand sanitizing Hand Gels (Aldi)
    200 Homecare medical Hard surface wet wipes 70% Isoproply Alcohol Solution (Homecare Medical)
    I have liquid soap beside every sink to which I ALWAYS add Dettol. Always.
    I have also bought and given masks to my elderly dad, elderly father in law and my Brother (who is very compromised).
    Our son has a disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

wakka12 wrote: »
    Also, start to consciously practice NOT touching your face when out in public. Perhaps a good exercise would be to log how many times you do touch your face when sitting at your desk or looking at your phone. I know I’ve touched my face 5 times whilst typing this.

Nadal is fu**ed

Grocery List for 90-day Meal Plan here, looks simple enough..

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/pandemic-survival-how-much-food/

Grocery List for 90-day Meal Plan here, looks simple enough..

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/pandemic-survival-how-much-food/
    My thoughts after looking at that and reading the comments....christ Americans are mad aren't they

My thoughts after looking at that and reading the comments....christ Americans are mad aren't they

What’s with their love of spam?

:vomit:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trawling through my collection of oddball tat. Sh1t got real. :D

502595.jpg

Actually that would protect the nose eyes and mouth. The filters are dated 2017. Might get the Guards called going into tesco mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've noted that this seems to much more prevalent in really big countries with "faraway" central governments. Russians and Chinese can be similar as far as government mistrust and rumour, though Americans win on this. I suppose their internal cultural myth of the individual settlers in a strange land fleeing oppression from somewhere else. When you consider the nation was largely founded by religious types who were considered a tad too mad even for post Reformation Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I've got a pole chainsaw with an extra boom. So basically a chainsaw on the end of a very long pole. I think that is the most thematic weapon to use in defending our home. Classic zombie killing weapon adapted to deal with infectious enemies.

Jessus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure what particular model that is but a lot of the cold war russian masks used asbestos as a filter.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Trawling through my collection of oddball tat. Sh1t got real. :D

502595.jpg

Actually that would protect the nose eyes and mouth. The filters are dated 2017. Might get the Guards called going into tesco mind you.
    But I am sure you would be very welcome at some "niche" club nights!

I've got a pole chainsaw with an extra boom. So basically a chainsaw on the end of a very long pole. I think that is the most thematic weapon to use in defending our home. Classic zombie killing weapon adapted to deal with infectious enemies.

I have one of those as well but unfortunately it is electric. it reduces its effectiveness somewhat.

I mean who doesn't love a tin of Specially Prepared Assorted Meats....yummm

• Advertisement

Next boards beers at Nimhneach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fried in an Irish breakfast it's a good plan B instead of bacon...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've noted that this seems to much more prevalent in really big countries with "faraway" central governments. Russians and Chinese can be similar as far as government mistrust and rumour, though Americans win on this. I suppose their internal cultural myth of the individual settlers in a strange land fleeing oppression from somewhere else. When you consider the nation was largely founded by religious types who were considered a tad too mad even for post Reformation Europe.

We used to laugh at the yanks for this but as the EU has expanded its role I've noticed it catching more and more of a similar type of flak that would have been unimaginable outside of the lunatic fringes in say 1992. Brexit was in many ways a manifestation of this distrust of a distant and seemingly unaccountable and undemocratic government.

I misread your username as gmask after seeing that post :pac:

If we’re all gonna be stuck indoors, shouldn’t we be adding vitamin D to our list?

I know my dad was given when he was in hospital for 8 months and it’s now on his prescription for once a month since he’s been home.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Your attempt at being dim was very convincing, my bad :rolleyes:

Touchy this morning i see. Bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Drumpot wrote: »

From that link
    Note:This is a supplementary equipment and is not intended for serious disease or those who stay alive solely on medical oxygen.

If you suffer from disease,Please consult your doctor before buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

dont forget a few months supply of contraception, if there is one thing bunkers are famous for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

dont forget a few months supply of contraception, if there is one thing bunkers are famous for

Someone mentions vitamin D and soon after someone mentions contraception!

I’d add disposable gloves to the list.

Where's the bacon and eggs in his list?

Honestly, that list looks like it was developed by a 12 year old American boy. Peanut butter sandwiches? Bleurgh! Jelly, aka Jam sandwiches, no thanks.

I could put together a much easier, tastier, possibly cheaper list very easily.

Following on from Blergh’s post, I have the following:
    A box of 50 Surgical Disposable Face Masks with adaptable nose bar. (Homecare Medical)
    6 x Vitrex Premium Respirator P2 Masks FFP2 (Home Base)
    8 x Vitrex Premium RespiratorP3 Masks FFP3 (HomeBase)
    8 x Harris Task masters Dust Masks. (Local hardware store)
    2 x 300ml Purell Advanced Alcohol hand rub (Homecare Medical)
    8 x 50ml (pocket size) Hand sanitizing Hand Gels (Aldi)
    200 Homecare medical Hard surface wet wipes 70% Isoproply Alcohol Solution (Homecare Medical)
    I have liquid soap beside every sink to which I ALWAYS add Dettol. Always.
    I have also bought and given masks to my elderly dad, elderly father in law and my Brother (who is very compromised).
    Our son has a disability.

Can i ask how recently you bought the Aldi hand gels and in which store? I have looked in a few places but all seem to be sold out. I have everything else sorted but would like to get a rake of these if i can.

Honestly, that list looks like it was developed by a 12 year old American boy. Peanut butter sandwiches? Bleurgh! Jelly, aka Jam sandwiches, no thanks.

he does mention eggs :pac:

I’m gonna go mad cooking this weekend. Loads of nutritional meals for the freezer.

I’m gonna go mad cooking this weekend. Loads of nutritional meals for the freezer.

I do that most weekends. :D

Haha. I wish I was that organised. Gimme a good recipe? There’s just 2 of us and we eat anything.

• Advertisement

he does mention eggs :pac:

I meant bacon and eggs as a breakfast, rather than Spam. However, His shoppiing list:
    Grocery List for 90-day Meal Plan
    Augason Farms dry-milk (3) #10 cans makes 270 cups (~17 gallons)
    (view on amzn)

Pancake Mix (2) 32-oz boxes Aunt Jemima ‘Buttermilk Complete’ makes ~120 4″ cakes

Oatmeal packets Box of 45
    (view on amzn)

Spam (8) 12-oz cans

Jelly (1) large 30-oz jar of your favorite

Butter (2) pounds for toast & bread-making

Flour (3) 5 pound bags for ~15 loaves of homemade bread

Canned Chicken (30) 12.5-oz cans

Canned Tuna (23) 5-oz cans

Mayo (3) 30-oz large jars

Mac-n-Cheese (12) boxes

Peanut Butter (1) 40-oz large jar

Pasta (5) pounds

Pasta sauce (6) pints

Rice (8) pounds

Dry Beans (2) pounds

Canned Corned Beef Hash (9) cans

Peanuts (7) 16-oz jars (pounds)

Canned Green Beans (12)

Cans of Carrots (12)

Canned Corn (12)

doesn't include eggs.

I hope you have a generator for that fridge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

That prison in UK is going to be fecked

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can i ask how recently you bought the Aldi hand gels and in which store? I have looked in a few places but all seem to be sold out. I have everything else sorted but would like to get a rake of these if i can.

You need 70% alcohol ones or above not sure what the Aldi ones are. You can get bottles on the pharmacy if there's any left..

I hope you have a generator for that fridge....

That’s why I’m cooking and freezing. No point having raw meat frozen that I’m unable to cook when the electricity goes. At least with cooked meats and meals I’ll get a few more days of food to eat.

Oh oh... So this could mean the gimps will inherit the earth? :D

Haha. I wish I was that organised. Gimme a good recipe? There’s just 2 of us and we eat anything.

I usually do two batches of some of my favourite meals and freeze them for lunches/dinners during the week.

On Saturday my two batches were Chicken Thai Green Curry with rice and Lasagne.

But I do have a fireplace and 2 years worth of timber to burn.

My hubby is gonna have a “see, I told ya we should stock up” field day!

I usually do two batches of some of my favourite meals and freeze them for lunches/dinners during the week.

On Saturday my two batches were Chicken Thai Green Curry with rice and Lasagne.

My sister gave me recipe for a veggie dish which I made last week and it was so nice. Layers of butternut squash, spinach, tomato and topped with cheese. I added layers of couscous to it. She says it freezes well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You need 70% alcohol ones or above not sure what the Aldi ones are. You can get bottles on the pharmacy if there's any left..

The ALDI ones are 73.5% ethanol, Lacura brand.

I got the last two in D3 -> at least at the checkout aisle I was queuing at.

As an aside, I might get some black \ white pudding - technically you can eat it hot or cold as it is already pre-cooked :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement