Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So no need to plan a summer holiday this year, looks like we all might be doing the old staycation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

BBC News - Coronavirus: Singapore bank evacuated after worker falls ill
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51470363

Got to be worrying for all the employees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The attached arrived for me today. Scared to open it now!

If there’s bubble wrap in there don’t pop it !

Is there a date of postage on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

s-l1000.jpg

wire+brush.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The ALDI ones are 73.5% ethanol, Lacura brand.

I got the last two in D3 -> at least at the checkout aisle I was queuing at.

As an aside, I might get some black \ white pudding - technically you can eat it hot or cold as it is already pre-cooked :)
    They have two varieties, with different levels of alcohol. The official advice is greater than 60%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wibbs wrote: »
    s-l1000.jpg

wire+brush.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

thank you for reminding me of the Billy Connolly wire brush and dettol joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is there a date of postage on it?

23/12 per the label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Have I stumbled on the cooking forum?!!
    Wtf! Can we keep it to updates on the virus and not your prepping lists. There is a forum for prepping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dont forget a few months supply of contraception, if there is one thing bunkers are famous for

Terrible idea, you are supposed to re-populate the deserted world on emerging from your bunker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

Was chatting to a work colleague based in Shanghai this morning, he has been cooped up for 20+ days in his apartment now with his family, with at least another two weeks of the same on the horizon. It is really starting to wear folk down psychologically now, and no wonder. You order the essentials such as groceries online, and they get delivered to the entrance to apartment complexes.

Production in China is still completely on hold after CNY, the project we are working on is hit with a ca one month delay already as a direct consequence, with no real end in sight, workers are being told week by week to stay away for another week, etc.

There also does not seem to be any plateau in sight either at the moment:

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/news/TrackingtheEpidemic.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can i ask how recently you bought the Aldi hand gels and in which store? I have looked in a few places but all seem to be sold out. I have everything else sorted but would like to get a rake of these if i can.

I bought some 73.5% ethanol hand sanitizer in Lidl yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The GP in Brighton was seeing patients for two days before being diagnosed, two days of close personal unprotected contact with dozens(of probably most already ill and elderly people). I assume they are being traced but honestly the way western governments have reacted to this so far I wouldnt be surprised if they arent being

23/12 per the label.

I don’t know what to suggest. It’s only pillows so I guess it would be no big financial loss to not touch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

But I do have a fireplace and 2 years worth of timber to burn.

My hubby is gonna have a “see, I told ya we should stock up” field day!

The smoke will attract the viral zombies.
    Hubby's schadenfreude will be short lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don’t know what to suggest. It’s only pillows so I guess it would be no big financial loss to not touch them.

even assuming the person who packed it in china coughed directly into the envelope any virus would be dead in the weeks it takes those parcels to get here.

I would think it's very low risk but leave it outside in direct sunlight for a few days if you're concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

skallywag wrote: »
    Was chatting to a work colleague based in Shanghai this morning, he has been cooped up for 20+ days in his apartment now with his family, with at least another two weeks of the same on the horizon. It is really starting to wear folk down psychologically now, and no wonder. You order the essentials such as groceries online, and they get delivered to the entrance to apartment complexes.

Production in China is still completely on hold after CNY, the project we are working on is hit with a ca one month delay already as a direct consequence, with no real end in sight, workers are being told week by week to stay away for another week, etc.

February 09, 2020

Confirmed cases: 2,656 new, 37,198 total. Suspected cases: 3,916 new, 28,942 total.

February 12, 2020
    Confirmed cases: 2,015 new, 44,653 total. Suspected cases: 3,342 new, 16,067 total.

Deaths: 97 new, 1,113 total. Recoveries: 744 new, 4,740 total.

think there is a bit of a positive sign it is starting to slow down a bit.

Not the deaths sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

It has to be remembered that the annual influenza virus kills 500,000 people globally, in that context 1000 Coronavirus fatalities in China with a population in excess of 1.2 billion is beyond miniscule.

• Advertisement

It has to be remembered that the annual influenza virus kills 500,000 people globally, in that context 1000 Coronavirus fatalities in China with a population in excess of 1.2 billion is beyond miniscule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

skallywag wrote: »

I am a financial broker. When you talk to people about life assurance, serious illness cover and income protection you can tell that many people don’t really think that they are going to be claiming on any of them. It’s not that people need to panic and worry about it, more ponder the potential and the consequences. I really think we humans don’t like doing that to the point where we bury any sort of negative thoughts deep down so we don’t get worried.

I’ve had pneumonia, flu and bronchitis in the last few years. Have some sort of rhespiratory condition right now (which I am told is allergies but I’m not sure it’s just that as my wife has now got something similar). Every year I seem to have some sort of rhespiratory condition. Now there is a virus spreading across the world, including the most technologically advanced and best prepared countries. It’s not clear if this is gonna just blow itself out or if it will become the pandemic a lot of respected people are predicting.

Based on my own medical status (rhespiratory issues) I could very well be in the danger zone of potential affected with this virus on the severe end of the scale. Am I mad not to get some provisions (masks- maybe even an expensive one, Oxygen filter system that I prob could use every year regardless of virus but might help if our services are over run and I can’t get to a hospital ) or am I better off waiting until things get potentially worse at which time the cost to get the provisions I need would be prohibitive?

I have one life, I don’t understand how thinking this through and weighing up these considerations is anything other then prudent due diligence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Sad video of a woman in China being bundled into a box on the back of a pickup while screaming by guys in hazmats. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-mht7iz8M&feature=youtu.be

MD1990 wrote: »
    February 09, 2020

Confirmed cases: 2,656 new, 37,198 total. Suspected cases: 3,916 new, 28,942 total.

February 12, 2020
    Confirmed cases: 2,015 new, 44,653 total. Suspected cases: 3,342 new, 16,067 total.

Deaths: 97 new, 1,113 total. Recoveries: 744 new, 4,740 total.

think there is a bit of a positive sign it is starting to slow down a bit.

Not the deaths sadly.

I'd be very wary of any figures being put out tbh. The Chinese want to be open to business asap again and might be willing to put a positive spin on them. They've made a superhuman effort to stop it taking hold in Beijing or Shanghai and we should all be thankful for that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is anyone else surprised by lack of chatter say outside this thread? No one in work is discussing it, bar if someone coughs everyone 'jokes' oh is that Corona. They just don't seem worried or concerned at all. I'm hoping for the best but am picking up a few bits with the shopping 'incase'. I have the smallies washing their hands much more, same with myself, much more conscious of touching face/surfaces etc. My parents seem to not even notice any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

reg114 wrote: »
    True but what is the fatality rate for someone that catches it?
    Isn't coronavirus 1-2%? That's pretty high
    Flu seems to be roughly 0.095% a bit of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

pc7 wrote: »
    Is anyone else surprised by lack of chatter say outside this thread? No one in work is discussing it, bar if someone coughs everyone 'jokes' oh is that Corona. They just don't seem worried or concerned at all. I'm hoping for the best but am picking up a few bits with the shopping 'incase'. I have the smallies washing their hands much more, same with myself, much more conscious of touching face/surfaces etc. My parents seem to not even notice any of it.

Yes, I bring it up at work and it just invites ridicule or bad jokes about corona beer.

We have one of those alcohol disinfect dispenser things on the way in, been empty for probably years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you believe those numbers it'd have to make you wonder why China quarantined affected provinces? Shut down factories and universities?
    The figures from China are not believable.
    Look at what they are doing not what figures they are reporting.

If this scares the Chinese government, it should be a matter of serious concern to us all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

gmisk wrote: »
    True but what is the fatality rate for someone that catches it?
    Isn't coronavirus 1-2%? That's pretty high

It's 2%, which is a fifth of the 10% fatality rate of SARS, while 35% died when infected with MERS.

The problem with the Coronavirus is its now the subject of 24/7 news coverage and a top trending topic on all social media platforms. Folks until people are being diagnosed with the virus in Ireland in their 1000s you do not need to cause yourself unnecessary worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's 2%, which is a fifth of the 10% fatality rate of SARS, while 35% died when infected with MERS.

The problem with the Coronavirus is its now the subject of 24/7 news coverage and a top trending topic on all social media platforms. Folks until people are being diagnosed with the virus in Ireland in their 1000s you do not need to cause yourself unnecessary worry.

Except it's not actually 2% since the unconfirmed cases are not accounted for at all in that figure.
    If you believe those numbers it'd have to make you wonder why China quarantined affected provinces? Shut down factories and universities?

If this scares the Chinese government, it should be a matter of serious concern to us all.

Because they have a massive population and many massive cities where a virus like this could spread easily and kill millions of sick and elderly.

Ireland doesn't have that problem.

OK so say the Chinese are lying, say that the coronavirus has a fatality rate of 5 times more than they are saying, you're still only approaching the death rate of SARS a few years ago, what precautions did you take at that time to prevent yourself from acquiring SARS? None.

Worrying at this point is futile and I'll advised

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

At that point though there won't there be a surge to get masks/foodstuffs as another poster pointed out. It's a small cost to pay now just for seeming a bit silly/paranoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Isn't it significantly more infectious than either though? Whatever about the accuracy of the mortality rate, 1 in 50 people dying is still significant if it continues to spread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Lots of people off sick in the office, many going around coughing.

Maybe just taking notice of it more but seems to be many out sick.

I'd wonder. If you have flu like symptoms you wouldn't be going to the doctor. You'd have to feel pretty ****.

Housemate had the flu last week and yesterday I thought I was coming down with something but today I feel fine.

you're still only approaching the death rate of SARS a few years ago, what precautions did you take at that time to prevent yourself from acquiring SARS? None.

SARS spread in a different fashion, nothing like the infection rates we've seen in China with Corona, that to me is the worry.

• Advertisement

Lots of people off sick in the office, many going around coughing.

Maybe just taking notice of it more but seems to be many out sick.

I'd wonder. If you have flu like symptoms you wouldn't be going to the doctor. You'd have to feel pretty ****.

Housemate had the flu last week and yesterday I thought I was coming down with something but today I feel fine.

It's the peak of flu season, it happens every single year

OK so say the Chinese are lying, say that the coronavirus has a fatality rate of 5 times more than they are saying, you're still only approaching the death rate of SARS a few years ago, what precautions did you take at that time to prevent yourself from acquiring SARS? None.

Stocked up on masks, disinfectant, rice, pasta, etc at the time.
    Still have the masks from that time.
    I don't expect to have to use them but will be glad to be able to bring as many as I like on the plane on Friday without having to go shop around for them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BloodBath wrote: »
    Except it's not actually 2% since the unconfirmed cases are not accounted for at all in that figure.
    Because they have a massive population and many massive cities where a virus like this could spread easily and kill millions of sick and elderly.
    Ireland doesn't have that problem.

I really don't know what to make of that post. They are concerned because they have a massive population. We're not allowed to be concerned because... we have less people than they do? Your logic escapes me.
    We shouldn't care about dead Irish people because there will be less dead Irish people than dead Chinese people?
    *not sure if you are for real*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

pc7 wrote: »
    Very surprised tbh. It make me wonder if we're all just a pack of paranoid hypochondriacs! :pac: But realistically, people generally only care about the immediate and, at the moment, this is not an immediate threat to Ireland. When the story is in the mainstream news and being hastagged on twitter, we know we're in trouble!

josip wrote: »
    Stocked up on masks, disinfectant, rice, pasta, etc at the time.
    Still have the masks from that time.
    I don't expect to have to use them but will be glad to be able to bring as many as I like on the plane on Friday without having to go shop around for them now.

You're telling me you have surgical masks that are 17 years old and you expect them to still work?

Surgical masks are intended for uses within 24 months, for optimum performance, after which the chemicals in the masks degrade rendering them useless and potentially could irritate the skin.

• Advertisement

Alot of people on here panicking for absolutely no reason. Until this virus starts to infect Irish people in Ireland there is no rationale for losing the plot. By all means wear masks, but if you're going to then you need to be wearing gloves at all times too.

You're telling me you have surgical masks that are 17 years old and you expect them to still work?

Surgical masks are intended for uses within 24 months, for optimum performance, after which the chemicals in the masks degrade rendering them useless and potentially could irritate the skin.

Thanks for telling us about surgical masks.
    Now, where did I say it was surgical masks I had?

Alot of people on here panicking for absolutely no reason. Until this virus starts to infect Irish people in Ireland there is no rationale for losing the plot. By all means wear masks, but if you're going to then you need to be wearing gloves at all times too.

I think that's a bit unfair, I don't see anyone losing the plot in here, just people trying to figure out what is going on and what is a good plan 'just incase'. The talk of guns/chainsaws is very much tongue in cheek. Our hospitals are full to capacity, an illness that requires extra beds/oxygen is a real threat, not a lot we can do about that. But being a bit more aware in terms of handwashing etc. is no bad thing. The HSE should be pushing this awareness anyhow for the common cold/fly etc.

There is no rationale for losing the plot when it does hit. Panic is the enemy.
    Preparation is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

reading too many twitter conspiracy theories.

There is little cases outside of China & Asia.
    Possibly the humidity influences the disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I really don't know what to make of that post. They are concerned because they have a massive population. We're not allowed to be concerned because... we have less people than they do? Your logic escapes me.
    We shouldn't care about dead Irish people because there will be less dead Irish people than dead Chinese people?
    *not sure if you are for real*

I'm not sure half the people in here are for real either but there you go. Nobody has issues with the repeated bull**** figures being posted and the ott doomsday planning though.

Work yourselves up into a frenzy if you want. It's no wonder the English and the Church controlled Ireland with fear for so long.

A country with a population of 1.5 billion has had 45k cases and 1100 deaths. Granted this figure might rise a lot and the Chinese are doing their best to minimise the damage but that's still an incredibly low number for a supposedly highly infectious virus in multiple cities that each have 10+ million people in them.

josip wrote: »
    Thanks for telling us about surgical masks.
    Now, where did I say it was surgical masks I had?

Using anything other than a medical grade surgical mask to combat infection would be a waste of your time.

Dazzler, I know you work in the HSE as a pharmacist. Do you think that the health service should be issuing public safety announcements in regards to hand hygiene? If so, is that something you can raise internally to management or do you just have to wait like the rest of us to see if they do?

The information is on the HSE front page in the banner with coronavirus in it. It's been there since at least Monday. It's just general hand hygiene that needed. If there was a confirmed case, I imagine they will alter advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We have no immunity to corona, we have to flu (flu vaccine). That’s why corona virus is called a pandemic flu and not a seasonal flu.

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.059(approx) corona is 1%, or 2% depending on what figures you believe.

Flu has an R0 (the measure of how easily the virus will spread from an infected host)of approx 1.3, whereas corona has an R0 of 2.2.

We can predict the flu infection rate will drop off a cliff in March as it does so every year. We cannot say this with corona as we just don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tom1ie wrote: »
    Have I stumbled on the cooking forum?!!
    Wtf! Can we keep it to updates on the virus and not your prepping lists. There is a forum for prepping.

Eh, what? This is a forum for prepping now is it?! Even if it was, what to cook and keep yourself alive is fairly handy advice!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement