Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tom1ie wrote: »
    Have I stumbled on the cooking forum?!!
    Wtf! Can we keep it to updates on the virus and not your prepping lists. There is a forum for prepping.

Eh, what? This is a forum for prepping now is it?! Even if it was, what to cook and keep yourself alive is fairly handy advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, what? This is a forum for prepping now is it?! Even if it was, what to cook and keep yourself alive is fairly handy advice!

You haven't figured this out yet in how many years on the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

We have no immunity to corona, we have to flu (flu vaccine). That’s why corona virus is called a pandemic flu and not a seasonal flu.

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.059(approx) corona is 1%, or 2% depending on what figures you believe.

Flu has an R0 (the measure of how easily the virus will spread from an infected host)of approx 1.3, whereas corona has an R0 of 2.2.

We can predict the flu infection rate will drop off a cliff in March as it does so every year. We cannot say this with corona as we just don’t know.

The flu vaccine only vaccinates for previously identified strains of flu. As you know the influenza virus is mutating constantly. It's absolutely conceivable that a person could receive the flu vaccine in October and in November succumb to a different strain of the influenza virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Someone needs to tell the WHO chief to stop panicking. 'Grave threat to the rest of the world' pffft, sure it's only in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

reg114 wrote: »
    Using anything other than a medical grade surgical mask to combat infection would be a waste of your time.

These are N95 respirators that do not have an expiry date and I have received training in how to fit them properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Using anything other than a medical grade surgical mask to combat infection would be a waste of your time.

Not correct
    high-quality filter masks can protect the wearer - unlike simple surgical masks - from infection due to their design. In other words, also from a highly infectious pathogen such as measles or tuberculosis....

Only FFP-3 class masks effectively protect the wearer from droplet aerosols, protein molecules, viruses, bacteria, fungi and spores, and even from highly dangerous dusts such as asbestos fibres.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-how-well-do-face-masks-protect-against-viruses-droplets-and-dust/a-52291265

One of the Dr John videos also detailed that surgical masks were of little use ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Daily update

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Closed Cases (cases which had an outcome) = 5,946
    Deaths = 1,115
    Rate = 19%

Active Cases (Currently Infected Patients)
    Serious or Critical = 8,216
    Rate = 21%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

As you know the influenza virus is mutating constantly.

I think that this is the big fear, in that the Coronavirus could mutate into something which is much easier to spread and which packs a much harder punch (e.g. think 'Spanish Flu' where it was not just the very old and young which were worst hit).

Would you have a look at the literature on vitamin c and turmeric's effects on cytokine production and give your view on it?

There is ONE paper that suggests that turmeric MAY be useful in cytokine storms. The evidence base isn't there. I'm not buying it. Turmeric also interacts with a lot of medications so you really should be careful. Like I said, you only need vitamin c supplements if you are vit c deficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can i ask how recently you bought the Aldi hand gels and in which store? I have looked in a few places but all seem to be sold out. I have everything else sorted but would like to get a rake of these if i can.
    I bought them on the third week in January.

Don't worry if you cant buy more, keep the small pocket size bottle and refill from a larger bottle. If you don't have any small bottles, buy the travel bottles in Penny's that you would otherwise use for Flight travel.

I bought a 5ooml bottle of Medicare 70% Alcohol Hand Sanitizer in my local Pharmacy this morning. I will use it for refills.

I should say that I also have a 500ml bottle of Hibiscrub 4% w/vCutaneous Solution, 40mg/ml Chlorhexidine gluconate. Again, you will get it in your local Pharmacy.

Hibiscrub is what surgeons use for Pre-operative Surgical hand disinfection. The great thing about Hibiscrub is that 25mls can also be used as a whole body soap solution.

Would swarfega do?

If you flush - keep the seat down. Toilet system is suspected of being linked to Covid19 infection in Hong Kong

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-pipes-intl-hnk/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

I bought them on the third week in January.

Don't worry if you cant buy more, keep the small pocket size bottle and refill from a larger bottle. If you don't have any small bottles, buy the travel bottles in Penny's that you would otherwise use for Flight travel.

I bought a 5ooml bottle of Medicare 70% Alcohol Hand Sanitizer in my local Pharmacy this morning. I will use it for refills.

I should say that I also have a 500ml bottle of Hibiscrub 4% w/vCutaneous Solution, 40mg/ml Chlorhexidine gluconate. Again, you will get it in your local Pharmacy.

Hibiscrub is what surgeons use for Pre-operative Surgical hand disinfection. The great thing about Hibiscrub is that 25mls can also be used as a whole body soap solution.

This corona virus is not suceptible to hibiscrub (chlorhexidine). Looks like iodine based washes might not kill it either. Alcohol 65% and above and 1%bleach solutions are the best options. It's a hardy virus..

There is ONE paper that suggests that turmeric MAY be useful in cytokine storms. The evidence base isn't there. I'm not buying it. Turmeric also interacts with a lot of medications so you really should be careful. Like I said, you only need vitamin c supplements if you are vit c deficient.

Turmeric is in most curries in fairly hefty quantity. Never once have I heard a warning not to eat curry when on medication, and I have been on multiple medications, family members too. That would mean the entire Indian nation would have problems taking medication.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You haven't figured this out yet in how many years on the planet?

What on earth are you talking about? I was quoting an epicly stupid post complaining about cooking meals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

gozunda wrote: »
    If you flush - keep the seat down. Toilet system is suspected of being linked to Covid19 infection in Hong Kong

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-pipes-intl-hnk/index.html

Although it reduces plume, it doesn't stop it altogether. A toilet seat down will spray the room too, that's why I keep my toothbrush in the bedroom.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Although it reduces plume, it doesn't stop it altogether. A toilet seat down will spray the room too, that's why I keep my toothbrush in the bedroom.

A bleach block in the cistern might be somewhat helpful. Another one to add to the shopping list :)

Turmeric is in most curries in fairly hefty quantity. Never once have I heard a warning not to eat curry when on medication, and I have been on multiple medications, family members too. That would mean the entire Indian nation would have problems taking medication.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/UKMI_QA_Turmeric-AEandDI.docx

Hope this helps. Any questions, just ask.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If true could this be the spread in the cruise ship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

cnocbui wrote: »
    Terrible idea, you are supposed to re-populate the deserted world on emerging from your bunker.

'May I suggest Mr President a ration of 10 women to each man for optimal breeding purposes!'
    Dr Strangelove

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

saabsaab wrote: »
    'May I suggest Mr President a ration of 10 women to each man for optimal inbreeding purposes!'

Fixed your post

Formula 1 has postponed the Chinese gran prix on 17-19 April at the request of the Chinese government. The Vietnam round is 2 weeks before and it’s possible they will cancel it too.

As I said a couple of day ago the virus may become an issue for the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

busymum1 wrote: »
    This corona virus is not suceptible to hibiscrub (chlorhexidine). Looks like iodine based washes might not kill it either. Alcohol 65% and above and 1%bleach solutions are the best options. It's a hardy virus..
    That's useful to know about chlorhexidine busymum, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That's really the least of our problem at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wakka12 wrote:
    I hear that they are apparently not going to test everyone on board, just those who show symptoms. This seems crazy, as there is an opportunity to accurately assess the danger of the virus now.
    I'm sure due to staff levels and maybe number of kits, they cant afford to test every single person.
    Testing would be prioritised to those that are showing symptoms.
    Those that remain "well" may just need quarentine until they are pass the incubation period and have not succumb to the virus.
    ardinn wrote:
    Im pretty sure you could treat this fully at home if oxygen was available, I have looked into getting it, but its restricted. About 1-2litres per min seems like the norm, but 5 for ncov has been recorded.
    ardinn wrote:
    It's the single most important part of the probelm, If I was in government i would be making sure we have huge supplies and its available on delivery to homes, you can monitor your blood oxygen fairly accurately with a blood pressure monitor. 3 days and you should be good to go again.
    How could we possibly dish out thousands of oxygen tanks to the general public. The cost would be huge.
    Not to mention the health hazard of people operating oxygen tanks unsupervised in their homes where they may have open fires or candles. The tanks would explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How could we possibly dish out thousands of oxygen tanks to the general public. The cost would be huge.
    Not to mention the health hazard of people operating oxygen tanks unsupervised in their homes where they may have open fires or candles. The tanks would explode.

If things were to get that bad there wouldn't be enough global supply of oxygen tanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If I worked in HIQA, I'd definitely chalk that up to a domestic accident rather than Covid-19, keep the stats looking a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Formula 1 has postponed the Chinese gran prix on 17-19 April at the request of the Chinese government. The Vietnam round is 2 weeks before and it’s possible they will cancel it too.

I reckon the Olympics will be cancelled, hundred of thousands of people from all.over the globe intermingling for a month is a recipe for disaster if this virus continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did anyone see this doing the rounds on Facebook, some company taking advantage of our paranoia and probably making a killing from the sales. The OxyBreathPro mask, apparently retailing at 49 Euro. Nuts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Did anyone see this doing the rounds on Facebook, some company taking advantage of our paranoia and probably making a killing from the sales. The OxyBreathPro mask, apparently retailing at 49 Euro. Nuts.

I work part-time at one of they two mega home improvement companies throughout the US. This past week we’ve received a $hitload of disposable masks and the company is prominently displaying them in what we call 'side-stacks' all throughout the center.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It has to be remembered that the annual influenza virus kills 500,000 people globally, in that context 1000 Coronavirus fatalities in China with a population in excess of 1.2 billion is beyond miniscule.

Thanks for reminding, not a single person has mentioned that! It is an invalid comparison because as you say it is a global flu, i.e. Affects hundreds of millions even several billion worldwide so that is why 500k die. Most cases of corona have been in just one city, and killed a significant number . It has also killed that number in just a month. Where as flu as you say killed 500k over a year, a much longer period of time. Complications experienced by those hospitalised are more common than a comparable sample of those hospitalised for flu , so it's not just the death rate which appears to be higher, it also appears to be more infectious then flu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Aren't they used to mimic high altitude training?

They reduce oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Aren't they used to mimic high altitude training?

They reduce oxygen.

Yeah it's a scam, Forsythium now, there's a cure you can depend on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f2s75c/a_japanese_official_tests_positive_after/
    Virus jumps ship!
    A japanese official from the Health Ministry surveying the ship has tested positive, I assume he was in a hazmat suit or at least a lot of protective gear, shows how infectious it is

tuxy wrote: »
    If things were to get that bad there wouldn't be enough global supply of oxygen tanks anyway.

Afaik - Irish hospitals used oxygen generation tanks for their oxygen supply. I need to check if this is still the situation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f2s75c/a_japanese_official_tests_positive_after/
    Virus jumps ship!
    A japanese official from the Health Ministry surveying the ship has tested positive, I assume he was in a hazmat suit or at least a lot of protective gear, shows how infectious it is

I'd love to know the science of this, but it appears when the virus has clusters of people in proximity to work on it appears to get more aggressive and virulent in its behaviour.

* Completely unscientific observation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The flu vaccine only vaccinates for previously identified strains of flu. As you know the influenza virus is mutating constantly. It's absolutely conceivable that a person could receive the flu vaccine in October and in November succumb to a different strain of the influenza virus.

Absolutely but the mutations in the flu virus are minor, which can still make us sick, but the chances of killing us are very minor.
    However this pandemic flu (corona) is completely different and that’s why the mortality rate is far higher, ie 1-2%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

People are losing the run of themselves in here. The posters who live in countries who actually have cases are calmer.

I dont think this is going to be another spanish flu. Hygiene and medical standards are very different these days (in certain places). The danger is for those less developed countries. Could be wrong obviously but panicking wont change anything if we're all doomed anyway.

What on earth are you talking about? I was quoting an epicly stupid post complaining about cooking meals.

I honestly don’t think you know what your on about. Run along to the cooking forum will you. This forum is about the virus.

• Advertisement

It’s forum about the corona virus. Not rice and pasta. Run along now.

No sh1t Sherlock. Hence people are discussing foods to keep them going, in the event of being locked at home etc. Fairly useful info. Equally as useful as discussing which cleaning products to use etc.

But lets just stick to endless arguments over unverifiable death rates instead. Much more helpful.

No sh1t Sherlock. Hence people are discussing foods to keep them going, in the event of being locked at home etc. Fairly useful info. Equally as useful as discussing which cleaning products to use etc.

But lets just stick to endless arguments over unverifiable death rates instead. Much more helpful.

Sure thing chief.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'd love to know the science of this, but it appears when the virus has clusters of people in proximity to work on it appears to get more aggressive and virulent in its behaviour.

* Completely unscientific observation

I agree, does certainly seem that way. Does anyone know if thats a common thing, where the I dont know what youd call it 'higher concentration' of the virus passed to you has a bigger impact? Or does it not matter to your body what the quantity is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No sh1t Sherlock. Hence people are discussing foods to keep them going. Fairly useful info. Equally as useful as discussing which cleaning products to use etc.

Yeah talking about foods to keep them going, fortifying homes, spices and vitamins that will save them (lol) etc. In a country with zero confirmed cases. Bit premature dont you think? Yeah it's useful alright, at spreading anxiety and fear. More useful would be discussing hygiene methods to help prevent it spreading.

I honestly don’t think you know what your on about. Run along to the cooking forum will you. This forum is about the virus.

Who do you actually think you are deciding what can and can be posted in a thread?! The irony of you telling me I don't know what I'm on about. Are you new to boards?

Got a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm sure due to staff levels and maybe number of kits, they cant afford to test every single person.
    Testing would be prioritised to those that are showing symptoms.
    Those that remain "well" may just need quarentine until they are pass the incubation period and have not succumb to the virus.

An oxygen tank is not going to explode if someone has an open fire or a candle. The most serious danger with a pressurised gas cylinder is physically breaking the control manifold off, then it can release it's high pressure contents and shoot around. Thousands of people on the planet have Oxygen cylinders at home for emphysema and such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sorry, this is a bit pointless. The most likely person to cop anything is the flusher and they would already have it, in which case they should be somewhere isolated from others anyway.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah talking about foods to keep them going, fortifying homes, herbs that will save them etc. In a country with zero confirmed cases. Bit premature dont you think? More useful would be discussing hygiene methods to help prevent it spreading.

I'm referring to the posts which detailed what to purchase. Premature, really? It's not like it's already completely out of control in China, despite massive quarantine measures. The more people are prepared early, the less need for utter mayhem in shops grabbing the last available supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think it's panic to have 2 weeks' worth of supplies in the house, should you self quarantine.
    The stuff isn't going to end up in the bin, it has long shelf life and will be cycled through.

Hand gels etc are good to have regardless to stop you picking up coronavirus or just run of the mill stuff.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

People are losing the run of themselves in here. The posters who live in countries who actually have cases are calmer.

I dont think this is going to be another spanish flu. Hygiene and medical standards are very different these days (in certain places). The danger is for those less developed countries. Could be wrong obviously but panicking wont change anything if we're all doomed anyway.

Not to scare monger but being as infectious as it is it has the potential to infect several billion people easily, and has an estimated mortality rate of 2%. Swine flu is less infectious and infected up to more than 20% of the worlds population. So taking that figure of 20%, 1.6 billion people, 2% of that is 34 million deaths. Spanish flu killed 50 million. This is simply because the worlds population is so much larger than it was at the time of Spanish flu, but still, its a lot of deaths.

It may not be the Spanish flu but it could very easily be the worst pandemic since the Spanish flu, by a very wide margin. I dont feel any panic really, but I dont understand the insistence by many that it is the flu, when most signs would imply its a more serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Once again who is panicking?

Preperation is not panicking BTW.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement