Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Can people flight back from China and just walk out of the airport like that in Dublin??

No we have no direct flights. As usual we seem to be relying on others to do the checks but in reality how do you check when only a lab can turn back a result. Unless someone has a temperature and is visibly sick there is no checks to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No we have no direct flights. As usual we seem to be relying on others to do the checks but in reality how do you check when only a lab can turn back a result. Unless someone has a temperature and is visibly sick there is no checks to be done.

I'm afraid you must assume the responsibility of your own protection.

ardinn wrote: »
    Nothing to do with flu - its the inflammatory response cause by pneumonia in the lungs that tumeric will help with.

Not getting into a long winded dialogue about it tho. I'll chance it if I cant breathe at some point!

All, I'm saying all the research papers I've looked up aren't saying that there is any convincing evidence that turmeric has the ability to reduce inflammation caused by viral pneumonia. I'm trying to provide factual evidence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

WHO Giving a press conference soon live on sky news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

fritzelly wrote: »

im sure somone in here will claim the UK is hiding the real results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

auspicious wrote:
    A Dublin based company has developed a test which can confirm infection in patients in 60 mins. It's being fast-tracked to China for clinical evaluation.
    Any link to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Here is an article I broadly agree with regarding turmeric.
    In my opinion, whilst it may do no real harm, the evidence isn't out there that would convince me of it's benefits. Realistically, I can't see it having an effect on reducing severity of flu cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/style/self-care/turmeric-benefits.amp.html%3f0p19G=3248

Curcumin Suppression of Cytokine Release and Cytokine Storm. A Potential Therapy for Patients with Ebola and Other Severe Viral Infections

PETER P. SORDILLO and LAWRENCE HELSON

Abstract

Background: The terminal stage of Ebola and other viral diseases is often the onset of a cytokine storm, the massive overproduction of cytokines by the body's immune system. Materials and Methods: The actions of curcumin in suppressing cytokine release and cytokine storm are discussed. Results: Curcumin blocks cytokine release, most importantly the key pro-inflammatory cytokines, interleukin-1, interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-α. The suppression of cytokine release by curcumin correlates with clinical improvement in experimental models of disease conditions where a cytokine storm plays a significant role in mortality. Conclusion: The use of curcumin should be investigated in patients with Ebola and cytokine storm. Intravenous formulations may allow achievement of therapeutic blood levels of curcumin. Copyright © 2015 International Institute of Anticancer Research (Dr. John G. Delinassios), All rights reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

MD1990 wrote: »
    im sure somone in here will claim the UK is hiding the real results.

Do you think the numbers coming out of China are accurate? Not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

All, I'm saying all the research papers I've looked up aren't saying that there is any convincing evidence that turmeric has the ability to reduce inflammation caused by viral pneumonia. I'm trying to provide factual evidence here.
    That's what I've gathered too. The evidence seems to be almost entirely anecdotal. From the stuff I've read curcumin the active ingredient in tumeric does seem to show some positive effects, enough to have some researchers keep looking. However this is in vitro. Problem is that it's very poorly absorbed by the body(IIRC adding some component of black pepper aids in absorption?) so in vitro levels would be extremely difficult to get in the human body(NB YF's link above where they state "Intravenous formulations"). AFAIR it can also cause stomach upset and blood thinning in larger doses?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

pc7 wrote: »
    So no need to plan a summer holiday this year, looks like we all might be doing the old staycation?

Was thinking about this today as well.

Currently have flights booked to Turkey (no cases reported there yet I don't think) for the summer but I'm a bit reluctant to book anything else yet for now just in case this does become a massive pandemic. Am I mad?? Anyone else in the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Do you think the numbers coming out of China are accurate? Not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question!

Their not accurate. 90 cases in China and 3 worldwide would give a clear indication of that. The UK seems to be following a far more transparent approach, naming the people who have the virus. Id imagine the rest of the world will learn from China mistake's which should help with containing as much as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sorry, this is a bit pointless. The most likely person to cop anything is the flusher and they would already have it, in which case they should be somewhere isolated from others anyway.

Yeah **** is nearly always pointless lol. But seriously the article details shared waste systems - with the virus potentially spreading from one apartment to another in the same block. The toilet lid thing was mentioned in article btw in 'passing' :D

No because it is hard to find everyone with the virus as some are thought be mild.

I dont believe it is as high as 50,000 deaths

Interesting page in relation to Cytokine Storms

Cytokine storms - Why they are dangerous and can kill

In summary

There are three central substances in stopping a cytokine storm.
    Eicosapentaenic Acid (EPA) - this superunsaturated fatty acid is present in fat fish from cold waters, seal- and whale oils. A high quality supplement of one of these oils should be taken as a supplement prior to the disease (super unsaturated fatty acids like EPA is essential to modulate the immune system, regulate auto-immune diseases, promote normal growth, development and function of the body and especially the central nervous system). See the page of how to prevent respiratory infections like the flu virus.
    Curcumin - is a substance found in large quantities in the spice Turmeric. This substance should NOT be taken before or during influenza illnesses as it possibly in some cases can contribute to developing a cytokine storm!
    NSAID - more specifically acetylic salicylic acid NSAID - Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug - This is an huge group of medicines. One of the best known brands is Aspirin. WARNING! This substance should NOT be taken before or during influenza illnesses as it most likely in some cases can contribute to developing a cytokine storm!

Curcumin should not be taken before or during an influenza illness. These substances should only be used if your doctor has diagnosed a cytokine storm!

https://sites.google.com/site/influensabeskyttelse/influenza-protection-and-treatment/cytokin-storms---why-they-are-dangerous-and-can-kill

YFlyer wrote: »
    Curcumin Suppression of Cytokine Release and Cytokine Storm. A Potential Therapy for Patients with Ebola and Other Severe Viral Infections

PETER P. SORDILLO and LAWRENCE HELSON

Abstract

Background: The terminal stage of Ebola and other viral diseases is often the onset of a cytokine storm, the massive overproduction of cytokines by the body's immune system. Materials and Methods: The actions of curcumin in suppressing cytokine release and cytokine storm are discussed. Results: Curcumin blocks cytokine release, most importantly the key pro-inflammatory cytokines, interleukin-1, interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-α. The suppression of cytokine release by curcumin correlates with clinical improvement in experimental models of disease conditions where a cytokine storm plays a significant role in mortality. Conclusion: The use of curcumin should be investigated in patients with Ebola and cytokine storm. Intravenous formulations may allow achievement of therapeutic blood levels of curcumin. Copyright © 2015 International Institute of Anticancer Research (Dr. John G. Delinassios), All rights reserved.

I referred to that in an earlier post. That paper suggests it may be useful. Not that it is useful. It also notes that turmeric has a poor bioavailability (ability of the body to absorb from the GI tract) and recommends studying if IV turmeric could be developed.

Most importantly, this study wasn't carried out in humans. It's based off of modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Currently have flights booked to Turkey (no cases reported there yet I don't think) for the summer but I'm a bit reluctant to book anything else yet for now just in case this does become a massive pandemic. Am I mad?? Anyone else in the same situation?
    Holiday booked for NYC in mid march. Fingers selfishly crossed this doesn't explode there. Won't be booking anything yet for the summer. See how it is after the upcoming trip and look at going away in September instead.

WHO briefing on sky now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

For zombies, is it a shot to the head or do you have to fully decapitate them?

Asking for a friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Asking for a friend...

shot to the head will suffice but that was only in the films

• Advertisement

Asking for a friend...

Take no chances - both

WHO briefing on sky now

Kay Burley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Another potential spreader was found today in Romania

A Romanian man who has treated several people infected with coronavirus at a clinic in Munich was recently hospitalized in Timisoara, in
    Northern Romania, with suspected infection, local Digi24 reported.
    He was properly equipped when he came in contact with the patients, respecting all safety measures.
    The man returned to Romania on February 7, to visit his parents in Resita. He also went to Garana to see his sister and to the Semenic ski resort. He started to feel ill on Tuesday, February 11, and was hospitalized with symptoms specific to coronavirus infection, such as fever and cough.
    His doctor said that the flu test came out negative, and the doctors are now waiting for the results of the coronavirus test

https://www.romania-insider.com/romanian-coronavirus-germany-patients

YFlyer wrote: »
    Kay Burley?

No lol live from WHO

Saying 44,730 cases in China 1,114 deaths

441 cases rest of the world over 24 countries with one death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

lolanacho wrote: »
    The child is 10, they are not trying to protect the grandparents, in fact the child is now living with the grandparents, the three of then went to China for two months while the younger brother who’s 7 stayed in Ireland with his parents.
    They are trying to protect themselves and the younger brother by not sharing the same house and car as they did before the other three travelled to China.

Both parents work, they run a Chinese take away.

I’ll talk to the principal, see what happens.

From what you are saying your child should stay at home for a while yet. I know this will be called overreacting but if in the slim chance he is a carrier, how would you feel. The parents of that child are even worried about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm all booked up. By the time the summer comes it'll be either all gone or things will be dire and the last thing I'll be caring about is the money I lost on the flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

another super spreader found

Asked about reports that the Chinese authorities silenced those warning of the virus at the end of last year, Dr Michael Ryan says that the country’s government notified WHO as soon as there was evidence of the outbreak.

He said that given the country’s huge population and the fact that the symptoms are so similar to influenza, the speed of the identification of the outbreak was impressive. “Now is not the time for recrimination, now is not the time for forensics, now is the time to fight this virus,” he said.

A few would want to read that.

Stop falling for twitter conspiracy theories.

Hopefully new cases will continue to fall over next few days.

Source is the Sun - large pinch of salt needed

Now being cited by other news outlets including Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

Source is the Sun - large pinch of salt needed

I had linked to the Guardian!

• Advertisement

I had linked to the Guardian!

Guardian were using the Sun as the source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭Cody montana

No lol live from WHO

Saying 44,730 cases in China 1,114 deaths

441 cases rest of the world over 24 countries with one death.

They also said cases were levelling off.

Ghebreyesus has defended the reaction of the Chinese authorities to the outbreak.
    We were in this board room for a board meeting and almost all members states were praising China for what it did. And they had a reason ... China took action massively at the epicentre, at the source of the outbreak, in shutting down Wuhan city. And that helped prevent cases from being exported to other provinces in China and the rest of the world. And I remember a board member from the UK saying, verbatim, ‘this is heroic’. Because when you shut down a city like that it has consequences – economic and so on – serious consequences.

seems like China have done all they can.

Going to Namibia myself early March, via Doha. Namibia has second lowest population density and most time there will be in airy and outdoor places. However Doha airport and flights could be a focus for infection. Last time I flew through that airport I caught Influenza which was prevalent there and Australia at the time. Fortunately the vaccine turned what was going to be a very nasty couple of weeks into a two day illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

auspicious wrote: »
    Meanwhile Russia is putting penitentiary inmates to making grade quality masks and Putin has suggested stripping licences off pharmacies if they increase price of masks.
    They are checking flight passengers temperatures e.g. flights from Prague to Moscow.
    India are checking 29 airports and have checked over 1100 flights so far.

A Dublin based company has developed a test which can confirm infection in patients in 60 mins. It's being fast-tracked to China for clinical evaluation.

Damn that Putin is a crafty beggar. I thought the grabbing of Crimea was pretty stealthy, but now he's gone pure ninja to nab the Czech Republic without a murmur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

First case in london been confirmed another chinese national who arrived in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I say we take off, nuke the entire China from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I say we take off, nuke the entire China from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

I'm sure it has crossed the mind of the the Donald...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well that was sensible.
    Mobile World Congress canceled after coronavirus outbreak makes conference ‘impossible’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Now 17 patients in a serious /critical condition outside of China. Up from 12 yesterday, almost 4% of international cases.
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Over 15% of patients in Singapore in a critical condition

20x N95 masks, original price £20, now cost £120 and went as high as £120

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/3M-Particulate-Respirator-8210-Pack/product/B008MCUZZS

Some amount of gouging going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

20x N95 masks, original price £20, now cost £120 and went as high as £120

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/3M-Particulate-Respirator-8210-Pack/product/B008MCUZZS

Some amount of gouging going on.

Always happens when demand outstrips supply. Think a bed in Galway City during race week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Larbre34 wrote: »

Ha , snap, I only watched aliens at the weeekend...... You don’t see the Chinese f**king each over for a percentage....

gmisk wrote: »
    True but what is the fatality rate for someone that catches it?
    Isn't coronavirus 1-2%? That's pretty high
    Flu seems to be roughly 0.095% a bit of a difference

What's the death rate going to be when people get it a second , third, fourth time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement