Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

What's the death rate going to be when people get it a second , third, fourth time

Lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    another super spreader found

the-fortyfoot-ii2a5943_90574133-2-752x501.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

This thing is spreading faster than a hoors legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What's the death rate going to be when people get it a second , third, fourth time

Ehh that's not even possible.

Your body becomes immune to it if you fought it off the first time unless it mutates rapidly or your immune system is fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Youtubes tags on john are gone arseways! - Impossible to embed!

Doc John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BloodBath wrote: »

Your body becomes immune to it if you fought it off the first time unless it mutates rapidly or your immune system is fecked.

Nope, antibodies are not lasting long, same with flu, colds etc so you are at as much chance to catch it again as someone who never had it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

1st the $1,000 type of overpriced 10 camera hyped up 100px mobile phone show get's cancelled,
    next the F1 calander is disrupted somewhat,
    now Jeeves informs me Bulgari (fancy watches) Is Pulling Out of Baselworld 2020!

If the next P&P party over in Monaco gets cancelled, will just have to dust off the billards room for the summer, and consider a liquid reducement of the wine cellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Not true. You have immunity for a short while about 4 months...

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    14days average antibodies some med reckoned on the interweb.
    Assuming that is, 'zero' mutation, or even full 2nd/3rd wave later in year.

Hence the boat people in Japan may be very good experimental subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

SeaBreezes wrote: »

A few people have caught it twice in quick succession.The anti bodys last days,this is one area they have some certainty in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    A few people have caught it twice in quick succession.The anti bodys last days,this is one area they have some certainty in

Are you sure?
    People have caught it, fully recovered and then caught it again?

Or people had it and then things have got worse because of extra exposure before recovery?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nope, antibodies are not lasting long, same with flu, colds etc so you are at as much chance to catch it again as someone who never had it

Source? Any info I've read says you can't unless the virus mutates.

Source?

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    People have caught it, fully recovered and then caught it again?

Or people had it and then things have got worse because of extra exposure before recovery?

im not sure,i just recall the urgency of the body not having antibodies long enough to be an issue with reinfection.

WHO cautions that the apparent slowdown in number of new confirmed cases does not necessarily mean the virus has peaked

'WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: "The number of newly reported cases from China has stabilised in the past week but that has to be interpreted with extreme caution.

This outbreak could go in any direction."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0212/1114788-coronavirus-ireland/

• Advertisement

this is one area they have some certainty in
    im not sure

Contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ghebreyesus has defended the reaction of the Chinese authorities to the outbreak.

seems like China have done all they can.

But too late .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Not true. The antibodies do not remain in your body for long. You could get this multiple times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f2xnch/local_a_village_in_vietnam_around_10000_people_is/
    A town in vietnam has been quaratined after 5 people living there tested positive

Source? Any info I've read says you can't unless the virus mutates

No one knows for sure yet - they are basing it on other coronaviruses, it could be as little as 14 days or...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/256521.php#what-are-coronaviruses
    Among humans, infection most often occurs during the winter months as well as early spring. It is not uncommon for a person to become ill with a cold that is caused by a coronavirus and then catch it again about four months later.

This is because coronavirus antibodies do not last for a very long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Source? Any info I've read says you can't unless the virus mutates.

Source?

Have you got a source for your statement?

givyjoe wrote: »
    Not true. The antibodies do not remain in your body for long. You could get this multiple times.

Again I'll ask for a source as the multiple places I've checked have said no. At least with influenza. Is it different for corona?

The only thing I could find is this which states certain individuals can which I said earlier. Those with weak immune systems.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/scientists-warn-coronavirus-more-than-once

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I'm all booked up. By the time the summer comes it'll be either all gone or things will be dire and the last thing I'll be caring about is the money I lost on the flights

Booked a short few days in Amsterdam with Ryanair for early April but will not book accommodation yet until i see how this is going .

givyjoe wrote: »

Some scientists had suspected the recovered may only have immunity for a few months if it's a virus that mutates fast.
    But that is only speculation from over a week ago when they had no info.

I can't find the info on google, what's the best source to read about the latest developments on this matter?

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f2xnch/local_a_village_in_vietnam_around_10000_people_is/
    A town in vietnam has been quaratined after 5 people living there tested positive

It's China round 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

anto9 wrote: »
    Booked a short few days in Amsterdam with Ryanair for early April but will not book accommodation yet until i see how this is going .

Book it on booking.com and you can cancel it a few days before hand for free.

Contradiction.

I am only reading headlines,so no certain information will come from me.So no contradiction.

9th case in the UK! First in London!

Woman flew from China!

I am only reading headlines,so no certain information will come from me.So no contradiction.

If you are just reading headlines why would you say it's the one area they have some certainty in?
    Why not ask if the headline you read could be true and then maybe someone can get back with some credible sources.

• Advertisement

More sensationalist click bait titles taken as facts. No surprise there then.

Ten thousand people locked down just 25 miles away. Was hoping this week would be less dramatic so I could go back to work next week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm a bit reassured that we haven't seen chains of sustained h2h, seems to be a few superspreaders from Asia, but transmission then seems to stop.

Next couple of weeks should tell a lot.

If you are just reading headlines why would you say it's the one area they have some certainty in?
    Why not ask if the headline you read could be true and then maybe someone can get back with some credible sources.

Isnt it a bit of a job understanding what is and isnt credible.

Isnt it a bit of a job understanding what is and isnt credible.

That's a fact. The era of clickbait, fake news and twatter. The MSM aren't any better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

9th case in the UK! First in London!

Woman flew from China!

I cannot fathom how people are still able to hop on a flight from China. We had a real chance to stop this from turning into a pandemic two weeks ago but no our government and the U.K. seem more concerned with the economy.

It is very short sighted I believe. As and from last week I have been curtailing all of our social activities. We won’t be going out for dinner, shopping centres, pubs, cinema etc until this has passed or the government has stopped allowing people in from infected areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I cannot fathom how people are still able to hop on a flight from China. We had a real chance to stop this from turning into a pandemic two weeks ago but no our government and the U.K. seem more concerned with the economy.

Agreed. The economic fallout from a full blown pandemic will be far higher. Global supply chains will be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

wellwhynot wrote: »

It is very short sighted I believe. As and from last week I have been curtailing all of our social activities. We won’t be going out for dinner, shopping centres, pubs, cinema etc until this has passed or the government has stopped allowing people in from infected areas.

A lot of people with their heads in the sand, you only have to read this very thread to see that.

RTE 9 o clock news tonight 21 minutes in and literally a 22 second section on this. Your licence fee at work folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I've tried to be optimistic.
    but someone in London with the virus is a disaster.

everything will shutdown in 2-3 weeks

hope I'm wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I read a report of a study on emergency disaster situations and the usual case is that first warnings are dismissed second warnings are told to shut up and then it hits and its too late.

An example was given of a stationary airplane that collided on the runway with another that was landing taking off its roof/top. There were a few seconds to leave the seat and jump off but most just froze and stayed put and died in the fire. Those that reacted quickly got away.
    The conclusion is that people come to believe that the way things are can't change. Sometimes they do very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

saabsaab wrote:
    I read a report of a study on emergency disaster situations and the usual case is that first warnings are dismissed second warnings are told to shut up and then it hits and its too late.
    That's also the start of every disaster movie ever.

Captain Smith ignored seven iceberg warnings from his crew and other ships. If he had called for the ship to slow down then maybe the Titanic disaster would not have happened. .

MD1990 wrote: »
    I've tried to be optimistic.
    but someone in London with the virus is a disaster.
    everything will shutdown in 2-3 weeks
    hope I'm wrong
    Not unrealistic, but moreso months: once a single infected subject grabs any near door rail on any morning service circle-lane tube, before alighting.
    That's also the start of every disaster movie ever.
    Also what the WHO have just done in deciding (today), again not to class this as a pandemic.

Not sure about the e-cigs, but anyone smoking 20/day and perhaps swilling a couple of lagers per night would be advised not to if they want to see the Trump man get re-elected in Nov '20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

saabsaab wrote: »
    Captain Smith ignored seven iceberg warnings from his crew and other ships. If he had called for the ship to slow down then maybe the Titanic disaster would not have happened. .

Met Éireann said nothing about icebergs. 2020 is going from bad to worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

saabsaab wrote: »

Or if the ships supposedly self contained compartments actually were watertight... she would have survived the hit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Has SS Eire a Captain Smyth at the Helm? Are our watertight compartments able to cope?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not sure about the e-cigs, but anyone smoking 20/day and perhaps swilling a couple of lagers per night would be advised not to if they want to see the Trump man get re-elected in Nov '20.
    Actually according to the Chinese doctors and researchers on the ground there is a score of sorts that tends to influence outcome. Things like older age, diabetes, chronic conditions and the like add different points to that score. The scale is out of 12. If you are at or above 12 then much more likely serious illness will follow. Can't recall if they mentioned alcohol(though a dicky liver wouldn't help), but current smoking adds 3 to the score. Ex smokers can add 2, so giving up while a very very sensible thing to do won't reduce one's risk so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Again I'll ask for a source as the multiple places I've checked have said no. At least with influenza. Is it different for corona?

The only thing I could find is this which states certain individuals can which I said earlier. Those with weak immune systems.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/scientists-warn-coronavirus-more-than-once

You can catch the flu one year and catch again the next year. It's does change around a good bit hence why you have to get the flu vaccine every year.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Agreed. The economic fallout from a full blown pandemic will be far higher. Global supply chains will be hit.

This man speaks the truth. A lot of the base materials for medicines are sourced in China. A factory blew up in China last year and there was no tazocin for about 4 months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement