Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The WHO under instructions from Xi have declared the virus has been beaten - there are no new numbers to be released
    Xi was instrumental in the discovery of the drug to kill the virus - people rejoice

/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fritzelly wrote: »
    Slightly off topic...while waiting for the Doomsday figurese
    Does anyone think this may make countries less reliant on China as a supply chain?

I doubt it. We'll hopefully be back to normal in 6 months time. I think/hope it's been caught in time. Cases in the West are only popping up in single figures without a building escalation and authorities do seem to appreciate the potential seriousness and are taking action. They may look a bit like a collection of ducks, gliding along, but beneath the waterline I am sure there is furious paddling going on we don't see.

I have to hand it to the Chinese, they have come down on this like a ton of bricks. The figures may be utterly fictitious, but I can't see what more they could have done. If their robust efforts do manage to contain the spread, we owe them a huge debt of gratitude for saving our bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The WHO under instructions from Xi have declared the virus has been beaten - there are no new numbers to be released
    Xi was instrumental in the discovery of the drug to kill the virus - people rejoice

/s

Yeah trump was saying will be 'gone' by April.. magic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Google said

You replied "Relatively well doesn't cut it"

What should western countries have done better?

I agree it was handled badly by the Chinese bit I believe they are doing their best now to get a hold of it and stop it's spread.

Yea no I got it mixed up. Someone else had recently mentioned it likely not being much different in any other country with a new disease like this which was in my head as well.

That's a solid woopsie from me. But I stand by my point :D

Well I don't think they've ever been this late releasing the figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

So tonight I had a long and serious discussion with both my parents who are both recently retired within the last 12-24 months. Both are late-60's.

My mother in particular is extremely high risk in the event of contracting 2019-nCov, she suffers from COPD and is a former smoker. Almost 10 years ago she quit smoking after one month in hospital including several days in ICU on Oxygen. My father has good lungs but suffers from high-Blood pressure but is in far better health than my mother despite being older.

I am extremely concerned and it is almost 100% certain if my mother was to contract this virus it will kill her.

My mother and father thankfully have agreed to go into voluntary isolation quarantine as soon as the first confirmed case arrives in Ireland, this is a matter of when and not if in my own opinion.

We are lucky in that we own an extremely remote property, my mothers homeplace and the house itself in in liveable condition with power, heating etc. Our plan is both my parents will go to that house for as long as is absolutely necessary, avoiding contact with others is the only way to survive.

This absolute isolation is my mothers only hope should it come into Ireland. Tomorrow we will start preparing there with supplies, 3 months worth of medicine, luckily the lpg tank was recently filled with gas as it has gas heating. This house is over 0.75km from the public road and 3kms from the nearest occupied house. It gives brilliant isolation.

If an outbreak comes I will print off and laminate signs warning people to keep back that those living there are infected, and we will lock the gates. We will stock up with things like flour, potatoes, powdered milk, and remove food from their normal house to this location. The lists here have been very helpful thus far. The house is located on the family farm where my father goes daily anyway to and has its own water from the farm. In an apocalypse type situation we will assume no electricity, so freezer's wont be any good.

Both my parents were into their late teens and twenties before power arrived so they know life without electricity. I will fill a few 5 gallon drums of Diesel which can be stored to run the car for news reports or to charge a mobile phone from the cigar lighter in the very worst case scenario.

Basically planning for the worst and hoping for the best, if the SHTF both my parents will hopefully have 3 months before they'd resort to having to butcher any of the animals.

Even if it came into Ireland it could takes weeks before we'd see a Wuhan style situation so early isolation is key. My mother and father are comparing it already to stories from their respective parents of World War 2 with rationing etc.

By getting my parents into isolation, I can also self-isolate in their new house if required, it is in a far less secure location from the point of view of looting. I have a holiday to South America booked for myself and a friend so if Ireland got infected we could wait it out over there or else stay home and not travel to begin with.

My points thus far.

Don't panic, educate yourself, make informed choices
    Do prepare, do buy essential items, these might increase in price anyway in a less serious situation e.g. a winter flu type situation, you'd have just paid it ahead and might save money in the long run. Think of a full larder of food as money in the bank. Don't buy stuff you don't normally eat anyway.
    We are lucky that we are facing this as spring is arriving as the days get longer and temps increase.

theguzman wrote: »
    Basically planning for the worst and hoping for the best, if the SHTF both my parents will hopefully have 3 months before they'd resort to having to butcher any of the animals.

Cannibalism should be seen as a real possibility as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Perhaps they have faulty test kits like the ones in the US.
    Where are you hearing tests are faulty

Where are you hearing tests are faulty

It's like some people scan the thread for the worst news posts and just reply to them ignoring all the other posts

Oh, the new tests are here. Seems they 'found' some extra cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

GooglePlus wrote: »
    We have to remember that they did silence the doctor who brought this to official attention and made him denounce what he had said, so they are somewhat responsible for the delay in containment action.

not just that, but they are being haphard imo. giving people antibiotics and sending them home, and then lumping all of the midly sick people in with the extremely sick people.

and that banquet for god sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

So tonight I had a long and serious discussion with both my parents who are both recently retired within the last 12-24 months. Both are late-60's.

My mother in particular is extremely high risk in the event of contracting 2019-nCov, she suffers from COPD and is a former smoker. Almost 10 years ago she quit smoking after one month in hospital including several days in ICU on Oxygen. My father has good lungs but suffers from high-Blood pressure but is in far better health than my mother despite being older.

I am extremely concerned and it is almost 100% certain if my mother was to contract this virus it will kill her.

My mother and father thankfully have agreed to go into voluntary isolation quarantine as soon as the first confirmed case arrives in Ireland, this is a matter of when and not if in my own opinion.

We are lucky in that we own an extremely remote property, my mothers homeplace and the house itself in in liveable condition with power, heating etc. Our plan is both my parents will go to that house for as long as is absolutely necessary, avoiding contact with others is the only way to survive.

This absolute isolation is my mothers only hope should it come into Ireland. Tomorrow we will start preparing there with supplies, 3 months worth of medicine, luckily the lpg tank was recently filled with gas as it has gas heating. This house is over 0.75km from the public road and 3kms from the nearest occupied house. It gives brilliant isolation.

If an outbreak comes I will print off and laminate signs warning people to keep back that those living there are infected, and we will lock the gates. We will stock up with things like flour, potatoes, powdered milk, and remove food from their normal house to this location. The lists here have been very helpful thus far. The house is located on the family farm where my father goes daily anyway to and has its own water from the farm. In an apocalypse type situation we will assume no electricity, so freezer's wont be any good.

Both my parents were into their late teens and twenties before power arrived so they know life without electricity. I will fill a few 5 gallon drums of Diesel which can be stored to run the car for news reports or to charge a mobile phone from the cigar lighter in the very worst case scenario.

Even if it came into Ireland it could takes weeks before we'd see a Wuhan style situation so early isolation is key. My mother and father are comparing it already to stories from their respective parents of World War 2 with rationing etc.

By getting my parents into isolation, I can also self-isolate in their new house if required, it is in a far less secure location from the point of view of looting. I have a holiday to South America booked for myself and a friend so if Ireland got infected we could wait it out over there or else stay home and not travel to begin with.

My points thus far.

Don't panic, educate yourself, make informed choices
    Do prepare, do buy essential items, these might increase in price anyway in a less serious situation e.g. a winter flu type situation, you'd have just paid it ahead and might save money in the long run. Think of a full larder of food as money in the bank. Don't buy stuff you don't normally eat anyway.
    We are lucky that we are facing this as spring is arriving as the days get longer and temps increase.

Careful, if you warn that they have the virus they could be seen as 'easy meat' if it ever gets that apocalyptic. as well as that, you could maybe get in legal trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Careful, if you warn that they have the virus they could be seen as 'easy meat' if it ever gets that apocalyptic. as well as that, you could maybe get in legal trouble.

Private land, trespassers shouldn't even be there, in the very worst case scenario there might not even be a functioning legal system anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Wow massive jump in both deaths and new cases - did they change reporting criteria since yesterday?

And we've still the rest of China to declare yet!

Do pre-existing conditions make it more likely to get pneumonia, or more deadly if you get it? I was under the impression that being old / having lung issues made it more deadly if it developed.. Not more likely to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have to hand it to the Chinese, they have come down on this like a ton of bricks. The figures may be utterly fictitious, but I can't see what more they could have done. If their robust efforts do manage to contain the spread, we owe them a huge debt of gratitude for saving our bacon.

I suspect that they're more concerned with their own bacon rather than ours.
    And since the virus originated in their society, as do a lot of viruses, I wouldn't expect anything less from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Private land, trespassers shouldn't even be there, in the very worst case scenario there might not even be a functioning legal system anymore.

28 Months Later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What the hell? Why so much more than every other day?

Anyway just to add to the madness martial law has been declared in part of a city in Hubei with a population of 400,000.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f30k2k/martial_law_declared_in_hubei/

It's a bit surreal really thinking about this all happening on the other side of the world while I do my college work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I wonder are they beginning to right size the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

What should they have done?

Missing the point. It doesn't matter what they do. The measures are just delaying the spread, they are not going to contain it.

28 Months Later...

Aim for the head when killing them - don't wanna be picking buckshot out of your dinner

Apparently the enormous jump in cases is correcting under-reporting before. New criteria or something.

You know, I was looking at the Singapore and hongkong number of cases and number in critical care compared to recovered and the stats there looked bad (taking time lag into account)

I wonder now if they have to fess up in China as the rest of the world starts to see the numbers themselves.

Is the jump because of everyone returning to work I wonder? Or wouldnt it take a few days for that to show up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Apparently the enormous jump in cases is correcting under-reporting before. New criteria or something.

Have you a source article to highlight the change in criteria by any chance?

If you want a full breakdown (translator needed)

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/202002/t20200213_2025581.shtml

Includes *clinical diagnosis*. I.e not tested but showing symptoms of it.

The jump in deaths is the problem here though it brings down the fatal rate depending on how you calculate it

It's like some people scan the thread for the worst news posts and just reply to them ignoring all the other posts

The CDC themselves have said some of the tests shipped were faulty. It's literally posted in a link a few pages back.

We know that in reality the number of people infected was much larger than reported, models showed this. As said before, deaths have not been reported (which they admit to now).

They seem to have changed their classification and put suspected cases into confirmed without tests.

For the people of Wuhan it is very ominous that officials are coming clean.

The jump in deaths is the problem here

Ah, well that explains the huge jump. No explanation why almost 25% of the deaths over the last month occurred today though

• Advertisement

laurah591 wrote: »
    Have you a source article to highlight the change in criteria by any chance?

No sorry, closed it already. It'll be in the comments of any Twitter comments posted here.

They've basically started adding clinically diagnosed, which I believe means people who show the symptoms but haven't been actually tested for the virus.

givyjoe wrote: »
    The CDC themselves have said some of the tests shipped were faulty. It's literally posted in a link a few pages back.

Did you understand my post? Since I posted the article about 6 posts earler

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ah, well that explains the huge jump. No explanation why almost 25% of the deaths over the last month occurred today though

My guess is suspected weren't being counted when they died

Also important to note that 3400 patients were discharged. Perhaps we are reaching a peak of when a huge number of people infeccted 3 or so weeks ago

The jump in deaths is the problem here

But also excludes tested positive and asymptomatic, so swings and roundabouts.

That’s a big jump in deaths alright.

• Advertisement

My guess is suspected weren't being counted when they died

They can hardly test them now can they?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wonder are they beginning to right size the numbers.

Or need to balance the deaths to keep to the. 2.1% narrative?

Did you understand my post? Since I posted the article about 6 posts earler

What are you on about? You were whinging about people focusing on "bad news posts" and you were the one who posted the article?!

Show me the good news posts?!

Yeh the mortality rate has remained suspiciously almost exactly 2.1% for a very long time

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Or need to balance the deaths to keep to the. 2.1% narrative?

Yup, they’ve done it again.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh the mortality rate has remained suspiciously almost exactly 2.1% for a very long time

Aye becauses it's bollox. Like everything, it will be what suits them until they can't get away with it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

givyjoe wrote: »
    What are you on about? You were whinging about people focusing on "bad news posts" and you were the one who posted the article?!

Show me the good news posts?!

Well if you're a 2019 Coronavirus, things are pretty good.

It looks like we are all f**ked, that it will just take its course and do its pandemic spread. The advantage in retarding its rate of spread would mean less cases at any one time, and to an extent this is happening. But I think we are going to have to resign ourselves into probably getting the horrible dose and hope to goodness we survive and without the worst complications.

One piece of kit that would be useful to have is a pulse oximeter, where you could keep an eye on how well your lungs are oxygenating you’re blood. As long as your sats are keeping well into the 90s you are ok, but when you see them dropping then it’s time to get to hospital. From time to time Lidl sells these, and you can get them through Amazon.

Personally I feel I will be kind of waiting to get the dose, get it behind me, and be immune. But all the time wishing the whole thing would just go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

This gives us little confidence in WHO as well as China.

Maybe Ireland should go into lockdown now even with no case yet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement