Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Zenify wrote: »
    All over the papers at the moment "EU warns outbreak poses risk to economy". What about the risk to life? What the hell is going on...?

If the EU take the same measures as China (and that's a big if) it will put the EU into an immediate recession. Millions upon millions of people won't turn up for work. Trains, buses, undergrounds, offices empty, the truck drivers that delivery your milk, eggs, meat etc...all at home riding out the worst of it.

Yes it's the worst case scenario but as other posters have mentioned the Chinese have gone to extraordinary lengths to halt this and still they can't stop it's progress, lengths i don't think western democracies will go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f39igl/japan_has_reported_4_new_cases_of_coronavirus_in/

4 more cases in Japan, none have any immediately known links to infected persons.

I agree with all of that. So what would constitute "panic"? I agree we shouldn't panic but we do need to prepare and be on guard.

I think a degree of “panic” is inevitable. Individuals respond to situations differently. Some might become dysfunctionally obsessive, whilst at the other end some will go to the grave in denial. Most will have a fair degree of anxiety, it’s how we survive as a species. Those of us who are single individuals without children etc can better afford to become philosophical and whilst taking all reasonable precautions accept the possibility we might become infected, very ill or even die.

I am just after returning from a bit of shopping, and there is most definitely the beginning of a sense of urgency about getting “stocked up”, and with the check-out people using gels. The guy I was talking to says the staff at SuperValu are taking more frequent toilet breaks to wash their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

bb12 wrote: »
    Those figures and statistics are not coming from the chinese government.

They are coming from the likes of the Lancet and Jama (The Journal of the American Medical Association)

Your starting figure which is where you based your infection percentage off is coming directly from the chinese government also none of the lancet or jama papers have been peer reviewed yet and they are not being written by doctors on the ground in wuhan.

In fact the lancet and jama papers estimate the infection rate to be at least triple whats being reported.

Also your methodology of trying to extrapolate it out of china's entire population shows a complete misunderstanding of how and why hubei province is in such dire circumstances compared to everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f39igl/japan_has_reported_4_new_cases_of_coronavirus_in/

4 more cases in Japan, none have any immediately known links to infected persons.

Surprised the Japanese don't have harsher restrictions on travel between China and themselves.

My point was that people dying should be more important than somebody's share portfolio.

To normal people yes but not to the people who organise our society.

And in 4 completely different areas. One of them is a taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

cnocbui wrote: »
    Asian males are more susceptible to the virus due to having more of the targeted receptors in their lungs.
    Link to source? Please don't refer to that (signular) study with a sample group of 8 and N1 postive. Non-peer reviewed, and largely unverified, and not a widely supported 'theory'.

In reality older Chinese males can be heavy smokers, also Wuhan was the uncontrolled epicentre (from early to late Dec), hence China/Asia will suffer the most in initial months, as would be expected in such patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is being mentioned a few places but is their proof they are more susceptible?
    The result indicates that the ACE2 virus receptor expression is concentrated in a small population of type II alveolar cells (AT2). Surprisingly, we found that this population of ACE2-expressing AT2 also highly expressed many other genes that positively regulating viral reproduction and transmission. A comparison between eight individual samples demonstrated that the Asian male one has an extremely large number of ACE2-expressing cells in the lung. This study provides a biological background for the epidemic investigation of the 2019-nCov infection disease, and could be informative for future anti-ACE2 therapeutic strategy development.
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »

One asian male in the sample, not even an asian female sample for the tiniest bit of balance to the argument that it affects 'asian men' primarily, this is assumed simply because there was no asian woman in the study:confused::confused:
    Interesting but useless without further tests

I'm beginning to feel a lot of people i my workplace are now asking questions about this. The same idiots who where sending stupid memes last week in Whatapp groups whilst hundreds of Chinese people where dying in pain now thinking "will i need a mask" and "should i stock up on water and food".

These are the idiots i'm really worried about, the panic merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Looks like there was a huge spike in cases reported yesterday :
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm beginning to feel a lot of people i my workplace are now asking questions about this. The same idiots who where sending stupid memes last week in Whatapp groups whilst hundreds of Chinese people where dying in pain now thinking "will i need a mask" and "should i stock up on water and food".

These are the idiots i'm really worried about, the panic merchants.

Dont worry till it hits Ireland id say. Our overlords will keep the wheels of commerce going as long as they can before going into lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I think a degree of “panic” is inevitable. Individuals respond to situations differently. Some might become dysfunctionally obsessive, whilst at the other end some will go to the grave in denial. Most will have a fair degree of anxiety, it’s how we survive as a species. Those of us who are single individuals without children etc can better afford to become philosophical and whilst taking all reasonable precautions accept the possibility we might become infected, very ill or even die.

I am just after returning from a bit of shopping, and there is most definitely the beginning of a sense of urgency about getting “stocked up”, and with the check-out people using gels. The guy I was talking to says the staff at SuperValu are taking more frequent toilet breaks to wash their hands.

:pac:

Nice handy way of getting breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Mine pops down to 91-93% when I get a bout of atrial fibrillation. On aspirin for it as I could be prone to strokes and there are very small patches of past damage on brain mri. With these commonplace health issues you have to be a bit careful.

Just checked mine there as I have a rotten head cold, blocked nose etc. Still at 97% so not dying just yet :D

• Advertisement

Link to source? Please don't refer to that (signular) study with a sample group of 8 and N1 postive. Non-peer reviewed, and largely unverified, and not a widely supported 'theory'.

In reality older Chinese males can be heavy smokers, also Wuhan was the uncontrolled epicentre (from early to late Dec), hence China/Asia will suffer the most in initial months, as would be expected in such patterns.

This reminds me of a trip to Vietnam when the local guide gave us a great insight into the health of the population. He spoke of the very high burden of liver disease and how his own father and other male members of the family died early from it. Spoke of the prevalence of alcoholism among males where an extremely strong local spirit it gulped down in shots, it’s like paintstripper. Coupled with a prevalence of hepatitis virus this leads to an extraordinary high rate of acute and chronic liver deaths and one can see plenty of small drop-in centres for emergency treatment of bleeding oesophageal varices as a result of cirrhosis. It is not simply because of an inherited weakness of the liver, but the circumstances of the populace.

One of the comments there shows that Japan are being pro-active about getting knowledge about how generally widespread it may be, without people having known contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just checked mine there as I have a rotten head cold, blocked nose etc. Still at 97% so not dying just yet :D

Be sure to let us us know if it reaches 0%

This reminds me of a trip to Vietnam when the local guide gave us a great insight into the health of the population. He spoke of the very high burden of liver disease and how his own father and other male members of the family died early from it. Spoke of the prevalence of alcoholism among males where an extremely strong local spirit it gulped down in shots, it’s like paintstripper. Coupled with a prevalence of hepatitis virus this leads to an extraordinary high rate of acute and chronic liver deaths and one can see plenty of small drop-in centres for emergency treatment of bleeding oesophageal varices as a result of cirrhosis. It is not simply because of an inherited weakness of the liver, but the circumstances of the populace.
    Agree, a similar poster also claimed Native Indians suffered greatly from alchoholism, as if it was a genetic defect. It's a psychological, enforced cultural and environmental aspects that they have a drink problem.

Likewise you never see a morbib obese person in a fammine, saying 'ah sure I'm just big boned'. Even the big Singer 'Adele' knocked off 7 stone in a few months, due to a psychological switch.

Heavy smokers (lifestyle choice) simply aren't going to factor well in this pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is not simply because of an inherited weakness of the liver, but the circumstances of the populace.

And especially if we are talking about a respiratory disease, levels of air pollution if significant enough to have weakened \ damaged lungs could be a factor.
    Wuhan's seems to rate moderate to poor.
    https://aqicn.org/city/wuhan/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

No, she had not recently left the area of Tokyo she lived in.

And yeh^ that is pretty crazy. Cases like this make me think coronavirus is already circulating worldwide. Seriously this woman was sick with coronavirus for over a week just outside Tokyo the biggest city on earth and didnt infect one other person? it seems unbelievable, and who infected her? And she was in a busy hospital for weeks being touched by probably dozens of staff who didnt know she had coronavirus? She was also infectious for at least several days before 21st January,almost a month ago, and that means the person who infected her who was travelling in Tokyo had coronavirus as far back as 21st January and infected her, and that person could have had the virus in Tokyo for weeks before that even.

tbh, I don't believe in the reliability of this coronavirus tests. I couldn't read the article (paywall?) so I don't know how old this woman was, which pre-conditions she might have had. it could be possible she was quiet old, had some health conditions anyway and died of 'normal' pneumonia and the test showing she has this highly infectious coronavirus is just wrong.

This virus is so new, how can we rely 100% on the accurateness of this tests? where do the test kits all come from anyway? Maybe a professional here can answer..Dr. John...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Society will collapse, particularly in a Globalised world. Imagine people in front line services and utilities not turning up to work?

How long would a Power Grid stay up? How long would water systems still run? How long would food still be delivered to the stores with an infection rate that we are seeing in China?

Also, consider this.

China is pretty much a Totalitarian state that is throwing all its resources at this and can't control it. The people there are much more pliant than Western "free" folk so we haven't seen riots or mass panic.

Can you imagine trying to control this in Western Democracies if the infection rates are close to what we are seeing in China?
    This kind of scaremongering **** needs to be called out, every bit as much as the posters who are in denial. How can you say this with such gusto and conviction? It may come to pass but, at the moment, we don't know for certainty (as you seem to do) that it will. That kind of over-the-top hyperbolic reaction is not doing any favours to readers/posters on this thread.

tara73 wrote: »
    tbh, I don't believe in the reliability of this coronavirus tests. I couldn't read the article (paywall?) so I don't know how old this woman was, which pre-conditions she might have had. it could be possible she was quiet old and died of 'normal' pneumonia and the test showing she has this highly infectious coronavirus is just wrong.

This virus is so new, how can we rely 100% on the accurateness of this tests? where do the test kits all come from anyway? Maybe a professional here can answer..Dr. John...:)

She was in her 80's. Well I've heard of false negatives but not any false positives so far. I think they are a lot rarer. The tests administer antibodies I think that react to the disease in question..dont see why they would react to the disease if its not present, false negatives are more common because sometimes there isnt enough of the disease yet developed within the patient to react to the antibodies

There have definitely been issues with kits in some countries but again i think its more the issue of false negatives than false positives

bb12 wrote: »
    ok so looking at china's numbers for today 59804 infected.
    so whats the population of china? 1.5 billion?

59804/1,500,000,000 = current infection rate of 0.004% of total population.

in terms of irish population that would equate to an infected rate of
    4,500,000 * .004 = 18,000

15% of those infected would need oxygen = 18000 * .15 = 2700
    Of these 2700 cases up to 5% would need intenstive care = 2700 * .05 = 135

So these figures represent the full flow of the disease in china at the minute and as its infected figures go up, so would the possible infected figures in ireland...

but so far they don't look too bad for ireland...definitely not apocalyptic yet anyhow.

How can I be the only who spots you're out by two magnitudes of order? Multiple pages later and all these people read this post and accepted that 60k in China equates to 18k in Ireland.

4,500,000 * .00004 = 180

15% of those infected would need oxygen = 180 * .15 = 27
    Of these 27 cases up to 5% would need intenstive care = 27 * .05 = 1.35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How can I be the only who spots you're out by two magnitudes of order? Multiple pages later and all these people read this post and accepted that 60k in China equates to 18k in Ireland.

4,500,000 * .004 = 180

I stopped reading after they tried to extrapolate the infection percentage using the 60k figure vs total Chinese pop.

Personalities or personal habits can also play a factor.

The Brighton 'super-spreader' could simply be a chap that sneezes often with great gusto, without using elbow or tissues. Nothing else genetic or otherwise.
    Thus an unconscious habitual factor, which suddenly turns the average generally well-meaning person, suddenly transformed into a devious super-spreader of virus material.

For some reason everytime I'm in the supermarket there is someone that sneezes very loudly in the next Isle.
    Don't even think it's my Hai-Karate aftershave or peanut-free pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For some reason everytime I'm in the supermarket there is someone that sneezes very loudly in the next Isle.
    Don't even think it's my Hai-Karate aftershave or peanut-free pockets.

I like to sneeze on my hands and then do the touch and squeeze test on every piece of exposed fruit/bread loaves in the supermarket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You can hear people sneezing in the UK?

This is very worrying....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Agree, a similar poster also claimed Native Indians suffered greatly from alchoholism, as if it was a genetic defect. It's a psychological, enforced cultural and environmental aspects that they have a drink problem.

Likewise you never see a morbib obese person in a fammine, saying 'ah sure I'm just big boned'. Even the big Singer 'Adele' knocked off 7 stone in a few months, due to a psychological switch.

Heavy smokers (lifestyle choice) simply aren't going to factor well in this pandemic.

Though it is true that differing Ethnicity can have an outcome on how you are affected by the Flu ... as evidenced by the severe effect Spanish Flu had on ethnic populations.

A recent study on the Maori population:
    Evidence suggests that indigenous populations have suffered disproportionately from past influenza pandemics. To examine any such patterns for Māori in New Zealand, we searched the literature and performed new analyses by using additional datasets. The Māori death rate in the 1918 pandemic (4,230/100,000 population) was 7.3× the European rate. In the 1957 pandemic, the Māori death rate (40/100,000) was 6.2× the European rate. In the 2009 pandemic, the Māori rate was higher than the European rate (rate ratio 2.6, 95% confidence interval 1.3–5.3). These findings suggest some decline in pandemic-related ethnic inequalities in death rates over the past century. Nevertheless, the persistent excess in adverse outcomes for Māori, and for Pacific persons residing in New Zealand, highlights the need for improved public health responses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3310086/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

christ, what a ****show if half of this is true.

edit: Yeah, i tried to link this but it linked the above video for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Dont worry till it hits Ireland id say. Our overlords will keep the wheels of commerce going as long as they can before going into lockdown

sadly, the rich will be grand. Even if they get it they can hire a private nurse, have a private lung machine (whatever) flown to their mansion, and have some of the best doctors in the world on call.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Though it is true that differing Ethnicity can have an outcome on how you are affected by the Flu ... as evidenced by the severe effect Spanish Flu had on ethnic populations.
    A recent study on the Maori population..
    Difficult to take serious any study relating to 100yrs ago whereby data collection would be sketchy, a world war was raging, and it had multiple mutation waves.

Who knows what the lifestyle factors the Maori had 100yrs ago, maybe they liked the smokes, or had a mainly fish-based unbalanced diet, or choose their skygods over any medicinal treatments offered by their occupiers.

I'm a bit confused reading the latest update from the guardian where a woman presented at the hospital having arrived in an Uber...she went 'straight to the reception in a+e to report her symptoms'...which is a 'breach of guidance at stopping the spread of the virus'..

London coronavirus patient turned up at hospital in Uber taxi

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/london-coronavirus-patient-turned-up-hospital-uber-taxi?

Was at my dentist y'day and this was on the door....surely based in it's instruction it's telling you to notify the staff in the clinic?

If I had just returned from Mainland China and read that, I’d assume that the hand gel, face masks and reception were all inside the door. So I’d -

Open door with exposed hands
    Look around for hand gel
    Find hand gel and use while looking for face masks
    Put my hand on my cheek to offer relief to my toothache (why I’m at dentist) while letting out a painful whimper and breathing onto hands.
    Find face masks (yeah they’re really gonna have them) and put on using my now unwashed hands.
    Go to reception, place hands on counter and say “hello, I’m from Wuhan”

Where’s ladybelles post gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Where’s ladybelles post gone?

Sorry I deleted it as couldn't link proper! Trying to log in on desktop to repost- but it's above in the repost!

I'm a bit confused reading the latest update from the guardian where a woman presented at the hospital having arrived in an Uber...she went 'straight to the reception in a+e to report her symptoms'...which is a 'breach of guidance at stopping the spread of the virus'..

London coronavirus patient turned up at hospital in Uber taxi

https://www.theguardia...p-hospital-uber-taxi?

Was at my dentist y'day and this was on the door....surely based in it's instruction it's telling you to notify the staff in the clinic?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She was in her 80's. Well I've heard of false negatives but not any false positives so far. I think they are a lot rarer. The tests administer antibodies I think that react to the disease in question..dont see why they would react to the disease if its not present, false negatives are more common because sometimes there isnt enough of the disease yet developed within the patient to react to the antibodies
    Now shoot me down in flames, but like Tara above I have the strong feeling at the moment the test isn't all it's cracked up to be. In both false negatives and positives. I mentioned this earlier in the thread and someone else(can't recall who :o) had a link to the maker of these tests that suggested an accuracy rate of 60%.

There are a fair few coronaviruses in the wild. The common cold is one. That dose that was/is doing the rounds here in Ireland since around Christmas was another. I got it along with many of my friends. I had a tiny bit of fever for a day or so and then a cough/bronchitis, one mate of mine got it worse, dead tired, constant hacking cough that lasted for weeks. Others around me/us that were certainly exposed got feck all. My question is, if we were tested with this WuFlu kit would any of us have given false positives? Is the test that specific to this particular strain? I mean it was by necessity rushed into service looking for this new virus so maybe not?

The Japanese woman who died was in her 80's and had never left Japan and got sick pretty early in the scheme of things and apparently had no contact with Chinese folks. Now of course it's possible she was infected by various sources, but something doesn't quite add up for me.

Neither does the fingerprint of this virus. Unlike other similar viruses like SARS and MERS it's oddly and extremely variable in how it presents, never mind how long it seems to take to present in people, or how long it can last in the environment. It's all over the place. In patients with confirmed SARS and MERS all became very sick and in the same timeframes. In MERS for example 75% of patients needed mechanical ventilation. This new dose? You have a large percentage of people who are asymptomatic, even more that just have a bit of fever, sniffles and a cough, including "superspreaders" with high viral loads, then you have a minority who go to deaths door in a matter of days to a week. If it were just diabetic 90 year olds chugging fifty fags a day going out like this you'd figure OK, but its also healthy people of various ages.

Even allowing for natural human variability in people and their immune responses something just doesn't add up for me with this virus at all.
    tara73 wrote:
    Maybe a professional here can answer..Dr. John...:)
    I realise he's a popular chap at the moment but TBH I find him decidedly variable in quality and not a little prone to major supposition. Now thankfully he's not the tinfoil hat brigade, but at the same time he tends to follow the usual line without asking the right questions. The Chinese figures he takes as gospel for a start. Takes his sweet time to get to the bloody point too. 30 minute videos that could be condensed down to 5 sorta thing. That's just my take mind you. :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

christ, what a ****show if half of this is true.

edit: Yeah, i tried to link this but it linked the above video for some reason.

Utterly incredible. Now imagine we attempted something like that in Ireland. A few smelly hippies would chain themselves to the trees because some bird had used the area as it's home for a hundred years and it would take the Gardai 3 weeks to move them out before construction begun whilst Paul Murphy stood with his crew of crusties looking on shouting abuse at the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

4,500,000 * .00004 = 180

the 60k amount is not the end total....so equating it to 180 (or 18k if you like) is irrelevant. Only after the outbreak ends can you make reasonable comparisons like that.

For example, what if the 60k turns into 60m? is 180 still a relevant number for Ireland?

On another note, I see yesterdays deaths/cures is still tracking along at around 5/1 (1277/254).

does anybody have any numbers on how long from infection to cure/death? if these timelines were relatively the same, then could we infer a death rate of 20% (rather than the ~2% we are being fed now. this 2% seems to be deaths/infections (1368/59901).....but the infections total is not a resolved number. These ultimately go either to cured or dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Difficult to take serious any study relating to 100yrs ago whereby data collection would be sketchy, a world war was raging, and it had multiple mutation waves.

Who knows what the lifestyle factors the Maori had 100yrs ago, maybe they liked the smokes, or had a mainly fish-based unbalanced diet, or choose their skygods over any medicinal treatments offered by their occupiers.

Read the paper. It goes through pandemics most recent in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed, but different populations have shown different responses to various infectuous agents throughout history. Our current world populations and even our recorded history show this. Native Americans are such a small population today because they had no resistance to pathogens from Europe(including influenza). This was repeated throughout the age of conquest all over the world. More Africans have a resistance to malaria than Europeans(though there is a group in southern europe with a novel resistance to it). In non African populations with archaic Neandertal and Denisovan genes they have found a few of them are to do with the immune system and important enough for survival over time that they still exist in us after at least 40,000 years after they got into the modern human genome.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don’t know how reliable the source is, so will delete if anyone knows if fake news/bad site, scary if true

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1227951785073090566?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

4,500,000 * .00004 = 180

doh! yes it was .004 of 1 percent so forgot to divide by the hundred.

Wow even better numbers then!

As i said in my original post these numbers will of course change as more positives will be added, but as they stand today i don't believe there's any reason why the merchants of doom should currently be predicting the demise of the irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭banie01

From observing the return of large numbers of Chinese and E.Asian students to campus over the last couple of days and given its week 3 of semester.

I'd guess that there was a 14day period when lots of folk from that region self isolated.

We have been getting updates as to hand sanitizer and following HSE advice over the last few weeks but the Chinese were noticeable by their absence until this week.

Is there any update on the rate of infection number?
    I've seen from 0.9 to 4 reported, has that been locked down yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The reason is got out of hand in china is because nothing was done to stop the spread at the beginning. Other countries are implementing quarantines and contact tracing etc as soon as cases are being diagnosed. People are aware that they should take measures to not get sick. All those huge predicted numbers are worst case scenarios (10s of millions infected in the uk for example), as in if no preventative measures are taken and are very unlikely to come to pass. Of course they make better headlines though. You dont think governments have been planning for these things. I mean there are literally people whose job it is just to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

pc7 wrote: »
    I don’t know how reliable the source is, so will delete if anyone knows if fake news/bad site, scary if true

Very reliable and a source for many people. Obviously just the next in a long line of communist / totalitarian tools to be deployed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

That's been out a few days - maybe a contributing factor to the spike in cases!
    And twice as much money if you report yourself..

Edit: Sorry, that was reported in Fangxian - other side of Hubei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Reminds me of

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/rat-catchers-1900s/

banie01 wrote: »
    Is there any update on the rate of infection number?
    I've seen from 0.9 to 4 reported, has that been locked down yet?
    It's yet another factor in this disease that's all over the place as far as numbers go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

One sure way to increase false reports.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement