Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

1. Keep yourself informed
    2. Stay alert to the possible danger
    3. Prepare as you see fit
    4. Don't Panic
    5. Repeat

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

josip wrote: »

What an interesting website. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Second death in Japan from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I saw a video on James Woods twitter account, it looks terryifying ... I don't want to link it ... but here is JAmes Woods Twitter main page
    https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So instead of reporting on the actual facts and severity of the Coronavirus case, RTE News: Six One run a politically loaded piece about Chinese people in Ireland experiencing discrimination here as a result of the Corona virus outbreak. Given that the general public (I'd include myself in that) are ill-informed on the subject (which RTE themselves are partly responsible for), I doubt this "discrimination" can be too widespread. Why is this even an issue for RTE?! And if someone, God forbid, decides to take a caution first approach towards someone who might appear to originate from the country where this virus is rampant, they can hardly be blamed. RTE would want to seriously get their priorities straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I saw a video on James Woods twitter account, it looks terryifying ... I don't want to link it ... but here is JAmes Woods Twitter main page
    https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Looks fake. Very easy to add sound to something. 0 people reacting to gunshots? Sure.

Twitter is a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For RTE its not a story unless they can use it to virtue signal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A) James Woods is a bit of a fruitcake. One of those Americans still looking for Reds under the bed 60 years on.
    B) the video is fake as fook. The footage of the armed troops looks legit, but gives no context, the gunshots are clearly added in later. Note how the people don't flinch at all with each report. Look at any footage of real gunfire and civilians in a public setting, they naturally flinch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wibbs wrote: »
    A) James Woods is a bit of a fruitcake. One of those Americans still looking for Reds under the bed 60 years on.
    B) the video is fake as fook. The footage of the armed troops looks legit, but gives no context, the gunshots are clearly added in later. Note how the people don't flinch at all with each report. Look at any footage of real gunfire and civilians in a public setting, they naturally flinch.

I saw the original video (weeks ago now).

There were no gunshots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

There are a few possibilities.

Someone said the woman was in a scooter accident - not sure why the person beside her however is in "shot in back of head pose"

Another said she was shot trying to break a quarantine barracade - which is in my mind, a little harsh, but, your in Communist China, im sure you should know better.

The videos of people attending the sick on the road were released ages ago - I saw them up to and maybe beyond 2 weeks ago, they did then however also contain gunshots. If you are hearing constant gunshots and are aware they are a few streets away, you wouldnt really be jumping every 3/4 of a second.

Another theory on the armed police, they are going to cull animals.

Or its all entirely possible the chinese are now just murdering infected people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ardinn wrote: »
    There are a few possibilities.

Someone said the woman was in a scooter accident - not sure why the person beside her however is in "shot in back of head pose"

Another said she was shot trying to break a quarantine barracade - which is in my mind, a little harsh, but, your in Communist China, im sure you should know better.

The videos of people attending the sick on the road were released ages ago - I saw them up to and maybe beyond 2 weeks ago, they did then however also contain gunshots. If you are hearing constant gunshots and are aware they are a few streets away, you wouldnt really be jumping every 3/4 of a second.

Another theory on the armed police, they are going to cull animals.

Or its all entirely possible the chinese are now just murdering infected people!

Bull****.

You would react to them in some way. Nobody reacts in any way whatsoever.

If this kind of **** was going on do you think they could keep it hushed up? It's not north korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Second death in Japan from it.

Any links, was Googling it and can only find news about the first death in Japan.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Easy to get parking at the Chinese restaurant at lunch today. Usually packed tight. Silver linings.

There should be an RTE person equivalent to Teresa Mannion & her weather/driving advice that could give out simple tips as directed by HSE/Dept Health. The late Keelin Shanley would have been an ideal persona for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

This is all a bit Irish isn't it? So we have no mechanism like every other country to deal with this?

So if it arrives tomorrow we cant forcibly quarantine?

lol, good luck folks. :D

Section 38 of the Health Act 1947 makes provision for Detention and isolation of person who is probable source of infection.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1947/act/28/section/38/enacted/en/html

If it is necessary for a person to be quarantined they can be, by force if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭Cody montana

4. Don't Panic
    5. Repeat

Are we going to war or something?

A Russian woman who has defied orders for quarantine has blockaded herself in her house and is refusing to open the door to the police.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51488861

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A Russian woman who has defied orders for quarantine has blockaded herself in her house and is refusing to open the door to the police.

So she is self isolating!

4. Don't Panic
    5. Repeat

Dad’s Army & Corporal Jones :D

ardinn wrote: »
    So she is self isolating!

I'm not criticising her or anything but she was supposed to stay in the isolation place.

• Advertisement

Self isolating is fine but the people I'd be most concerned about infecting are the other ones in my house.

Best idea is for the sick person to lock themselves in the spare room. Set up air purifier. Point a fan out the window as a quasi negative pressure set-up. Make sure they don't need hospital. Make arrangements for transport there if it is needed that doesn't include other adult or the baby. Use disposable plates and cutlery and follow established protocols for hazardous waste disposal to get rid of them. Toilet arrangements would need to be considered too. Use masks if there is a need to leave the room.

Also should plan for eventuality of baby getting sick but that is hard to countenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah if I get sick I hope I get carted away and locked up tbh. I've a housemate with diabetes and I don't want that on my conscience

Yeah if I get sick I hope I get carted away and locked up tbh. I've a housemate with diabetes and I don't want that on my conscience
    Yeah I'd prefer hospitalisation too for a similar reason. Statistically you're more likely not to need it though.

Any links, was Googling it and can only find news about the first death in Japan.

Second death on Japanese soil, first one was a chinese person, second person(first Japanese person) died today, on another note heading to vietnam in a few weeks and after reading news that they have quarantined a town(10,000 people) in north vietnam, up to six people from this area have the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Take that you bastards! You won't quarantine me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think I know the answer to the question but am interested in getting peoples opinion.

We are in the throws of arranging a family catch up in Maylasia in the summer (flying in to Bangkok). Before we pull the trigger on booking and paying for the long haul flights this week, would our travel insurance (which I plan to buy from multi trip.com at the same time) cover us should either counter become an affected zone.

Korea have advised it's people to not travel to Maylasia. Ireland have not (yet).

Have a query with Multitrip.com and they are the checking...

So multi trip.com said they can cover it if I buy the enhanced cancellation cover - moves the annual premium from €79 to €119 and the additional cover won't apply for 7 days (so if Maylasua or Thailand became no go zones in the next week we would not be covered). Could buy insurance now and then the flights in a week.

Checked VHI travel insurance just now and while their premium is €107 they don't charge extra to have cancellation due to epidemic covered- nor do they have the 7 day rule either.

Decisions decisions, If it was just us I'd postpone the trip for a year but with a group involved it makes it harder (to cancel). Some of the group are based in Asia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Second death on Japanese soil, first one was a chinese person, second person(first Japanese person) died today, on another note heading to vietnam in a few weeks and after reading news that they have quarantined a town(10,000 people) in north vietnam, up to six people from this area have the virus.

To live or to visit as a matter of interest?

cnocbui wrote: »
    The stuff I got from Lidl has Aloe Vera in it along with the 73.5% Ethanol.

Thats the stuff i use. My hands have never been so soft.

To live or to visit as a matter of interest?

At the moment were still heading over, staying with friends in an area outside nha trang ( which had one case but the lady has been given the all clear two weeks ago), fingers crossed all goes ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I see RTE news had an item about discrimination against Chinese people in Ireland. That restaurants had 50% down on normal and some Irish were avoiding getting too close to them.

Really? Our authorities have not stopped or quarantined those returning from China or other affected areas in the last month. How is the person in the street to know if that Asian person is a recent arrival or here for years. I don't blame people for not taking any chance even if it is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

[url]Http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/patients-in-ireland-with-coronavirus-who-refuse-to-go-into-isolation-may-face-compulsory-quarantine-under-new-plans-38954445.html[/url]

Similar forced quarantine being explored in Ireland. Heard on Newstalk earlier today but this only article I can find on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

sadly, the rich will be grand. Even if they get it they can hire a private nurse, have a private lung machine (whatever) flown to their mansion, and have some of the best doctors in the world on call.

That kind of thing only gets you so far. Look at Steve Jobs

4. Don't Panic
    5. Repeat

Dad’s Army & Corporal Jones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭jackboy

Steve Jobs was treated with fake alternative treatments for quite a while. He probably would have died eventually anyway because of the type of cancer he had. Money can make a huge difference for many health issues though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mainly because he was a hippie and refused medical science in favour of "alternatives" for nearly a year after his cancer diagnosis. Even so he lasted well beyond the average life expectancy for his cancer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Are we going to war or something?

Yes, we are. the enemy is at the gates!

Mainly because he was a hippie and refused medical science in favour of "alternatives" for nearly a year after his cancer diagnosis. Even so he lasted well beyond the average life expectancy for his cancer.

Surprisingly the well known and wealthy can get bad treatment too here. Garrett Fitzgerald was turned away from public emergency dept just before his death with a prescription before his daughter phoned a doctor at the Mater Private to get him in there for his final two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

saabsaab wrote: »

This thread has gone beyond saving but it's really entertaining, so I don't mind too much.

If the virus doesn't get me, I'll die laughing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ouch. That can't have helped his cause. Knew someone who tried something similar and died at 26 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was Jobs the one that went on a fruitarian diet?, that's not even alternative just fkn retarded

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

silverharp wrote: »
    was Jobs the one that went on a fruitarian diet?, that's not even alternative just fkn retarded

Someone told him that an Apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Coat, door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

jackboy wrote: »
    Steve Jobs was treated with fake alternative treatments for quite a while. He probably would have died eventually anyway because of the type of cancer he had. Money can make a huge difference for many health issues though.

I thought the type of cancer he had originally was one of the rare forms of pancreatic cancer that is very treatable? If he had had the recommended surgery at soon as he was diagnosed he more than likely would have lived a lot longer or even beaten it altogether. He didnt opt for this though until the cancer had spread, instead trying alternative treatments
    Jobs was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer, called an islet cell tumor or gasteroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumor (GEP-NET), which is a different form of pancreatic cancer than the highly aggressive and often rapidly fatal pancreatic adenocarcinoma. GEP-NETs are slow growing tumors that have the potential to be cured surgically if the tumor is removed prior to metastasis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924574/

RTE doing a segment on 'Corona Virus' in the next while on One if anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51491763

Some tests showing up false negative .

silverharp wrote: »
    yes
    and yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

saabsaab wrote: »

Bill Gates?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00379-9

Wherever that guy shows up theres a disaster brewing for sure! He's a feking jinx! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Surprised this hasnt been mentioned, 10 patients aboard the Japanese cruise ship have developed into severe condition
    https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200213-00000148-jij-soci

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Guy from the RCSI on Prime Time seemed fairly chill about the whole thing in general.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement