Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

Are all of us in this thread living in a completely different universe to those in RTÉ? They just had a good old laugh at the whole thing. Couldn’t even call the virus and disease by their correct names either and that’s probably because they have done no research at all.

I’m sticking with you lot.

fritzelly wrote: »

Just quoting a section of the link for those that haven’t clicked into it.
    A person subsequently diagnosed with coronavirus was at a central London conference attended by more than 200 people last week, it has emerged, as authorities rush to trace those who may have come into contact with the patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are all of us in this thread living in a completely different universe to those in RTÉ? They just had a good old laugh at the whole thing. Couldn’t even call the virus and disease by their correct names either and that’s probably because they have done no research at all.

I'd expect no less from RTE

I didn't see it. Did they say anything worth sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Surprised this hasnt been mentioned, 10 patients aboard the Japanese cruise ship have developed into severe condition
    https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200213-00000148-jij-soci

Is that on top of the 4 already hospitalised? Or 6 more?
    Assuming it's total 10, still not great odds.

Feb 4th and 5th 20 cases were identified.

9-10 days later half of them need hospitalisation?
    (Assuming they follow the other case studies of a week of mild symptoms and it's days 9,10 it gets severe. IF your a severe case.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I didn't see it. Did they say anything worth sharing?
    Nothing that isn't on this thread really. They don't seem too worried, seemed to focus on economic effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭ForestFire

saabsaab wrote: »
    I see RTE news had an item about discrimination against Chinese people in Ireland. That restaurants had 50% down on normal and some Irish were avoiding getting too close to them.

Really? Our authorities have not stopped or quarantined those returning from China or other affected areas in the last month. How is the person in the street to know if that Asian person is a recent arrival or here for years. I don't blame people for not taking any chance even if it is very small.

They have a few stories on "borderline racism" for children calling it the China virus in a game (Chinese kids in same class) and a man covering his mouth and nose when a Asian person past by them.....

I mean literally everyone in Asian goes around with masks on their faces and one guy in Ireland covers his face and we are racist.

China has quarantined entire cities and barrakaded people in their homes, and Chinese take aways are down and its some sort of issue.

If there was a major breakout in Mayo, and a bus full of Mayo fans stopped at the same filling station as you, is it racist to avoid them.... Sure hasn't big Sam avoided Ma....... No sorry won't go there....

Nothing that isn't on this thread really. They don't seem too worried, seemed to focus on economic effects.

Probably using this thread to base the reporting on :rolleyes:

'bus full of Mayo fans stopped at the same filling station as you, is it racist to avoid them....'

Best avoid them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

SeaBreezes wrote: »

(Assuming they follow the other case studies of a week of mild symptoms and it's days 9,10 it gets severe. IF your a severe case.)

There's a fair chance the age demographics on that ship are quite old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Guy from the RCSI on Prime Time seemed fairly chill about the whole thing in general.

They were rational and informed and explained the situation very well. I think some of you hype merchants should be forced to read your posts on this thread at the end of the year when the crisis has passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

From the ages they released 4 were in their 70s and one in their 80s. Dont know about the rest but I'd say there is a good chance they are 60+

1. Keep yourself informed
    2. Stay alert to the possible danger
    3. Prepare as you see fit
    4. Don't Panic and always carry a towel
    5. Repeat

:)

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They were rational and informed and explained the situation very well. I think some of you hype merchants should be forced to read your posts on this thread at the end of the year when the crisis has passed.

Yeah, if the internet is still up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

ForestFire wrote: »
    They have a few stories on "borderline racism" for children calling it the China virus in a game (Chinese kids in same class) and a man covering his mouth and nose when a Asian person past by them.....

I mean literally everyone in Asian goes around with masks on their faces and one guy in Ireland covers his face and we are racist.

China has quarantined entire cities and barrakaded people in their homes, and Chinese take aways are down and its some sort of issue.

If there was a major breakout in Mayo, and a bus full of Mayo fans stopped at the same filling station as you, is it racist to avoid them.... Sure hasn't big Sam avoided Ma....... No sorry won't go there....

In fairness, the corona would be the least reason to avoid mayo fans.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine brought his wife-to-be on a romantic cruise. Got a whatsapp message from him going "I've just helped about 40 old ladies aboard with their luggage. The only people here our age are the wait staff, and even a few of them are nearing retirement. I'm dreading the pool tomorrow".

I'd assume 90% of people on those types of cruises are aged.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    From the ages they released 4 were in their 70s and one in their 80s. Dont know about the rest but I'd say there is a good chance they are 60+

Where can we see the ages?

I'd assume 90% of people on those types of cruises are aged.

Not so anymore - maybe years ago but as they've got cheaper a lot more younger people are going on them. We've only heard from a few that happen to be older. The Yank guy doesn't look that old (doing reports most days)

SeaBreezes wrote: »

In fairness, I think that's only around 40 out of all the cruise ship? I mean, it doesn't actually seem that contagious. Sure, infecting 40 people seems bad but it's a cruise ship and the stomach flue rips through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've heard: 'if you pay peanuts, don't be surprised if you get monkeys.'

Apparently you can also get same result when it's Euros in six figures.

• Advertisement

RTE doing a segment on 'Corona Virus' in the next while on One if anyone interested.

Nope.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51491763

Some tests showing up false negative .

Please, I am trying really, really hard to resist and push away dark thoughts that this thing was deliberately engineered to be the sod of all viruses, and I was having a lot of success too, until...

In fairness, I think that's only around 40 out of all the cruise ship? I mean, it doesn't actually seem that contagious. Sure, infecting 40 people seems bad but it's a cruise ship and the stomach flue rips through it.

No, it's been increasing, scroll down through the worldometer site through the dates ..
    10 cases Feb 4.
    10 more Feb 5
    40 more Feb 7
    ... and so on to 200+ today.

Just watching the 9-10 day lag to severe symtoms.
    Where can you see the age again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I wonder if they could do a cambridge analytica style analysis of people who got severely ill, not severely ill and any known super spreader. Might lead to clues about what results in someone being one or another.

gozunda wrote: »
    Bill Gates?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00379-9

Wherever that guy shows up theres a disaster brewing for sure! He's a feking jinx! ;)

When Ireland was on it's knees and the EU >cough< Germany >cough< were demanding their pound of flesh for a bailout, forcing The Irish government to offer debt at 6-7% - this saviour of humanity was gobbling up as much of it as he could get his greedy hands on. So yes, you are spot on

Perhaps Chinese restaurants are the safest places to socialize now because of the low volume of people going to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

jackboy wrote: »
    Money can make a huge difference for many health issues though.

Magic Johnson living decades with AIDS from long before retroviral treatments were mature and ubiquitous is the best example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Erh no. Total number of infected persons on board the quarantined ship in Japan is now 218 and has been risng daily with an additional 44 cases identified today.
    The number of patients infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus aboard a quarantined cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japan has continued to rise—making the ship the largest cluster of the deadly virus outside China.

An additional 44 cases of the illness were identified on the Diamond Princess on Thursday, bringing the total number of infections to 218. That accounts for more than one third of all cases detected outside mainland China.

https://time.com/5783451/covid-19-princess-diamond-cruise-ship/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

FYP.

Thanks Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Guy from the RCSI on Prime Time seemed fairly chill about the whole thing in general.

This is one time we could really do without the "Ah sure it will be grand" attitude that encompasses all our institutions and the Irish way of life.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Erh no. Total number of infected persons on board the quarantined ship in Japan is now 218 and has been risng daily with an additional 44 cases identified today.

https://time.com/5783451/covid-19-princess-diamond-cruise-ship/

Hmmm, on in ten is pretty rough imo.

Likely a lot higher than 1 in 10 - have they not only recently started testing all the passengers?
    If I was on the ship and 60 plus I would be sh!tting myself if I had any underlying conditions

Todays figures following the normal trend - still the death rate is increasing, 10% increase if you will

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228102612437872640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They are getting later announcing the updates of infected/deaths.

Doesn't help that they keep changing the criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0213/1115112-coronavirus-schools/

Meanwhile, this is the kind of virtue-signalling, social justice warrior, contrite bull****e that RTE consider to be the important aspect of the Corona Virus. Although, thankfully, we don't have a case here, wouldn't their resources be put to better use by informing and educating people about the actual virus! At least then people can make a decision as to what they can do to prepare.

Imagine co-living in an era of coronavirus covid19

But there's a lag time of 9 days from symptoms to severe.. afaik

I sure hope you are right.

Meanwhile, this is the kind of virtue-signalling, social justice warrior, contrite bull****e that RTE consider to be the important aspect of the Corona Virus. Although, thankfully, we don't have a case here, wouldn't their resources be put to better use by informing and educating people about the actual virus! At least then people can make a decision as to what they can do to prepare.
    Today's headlines: John was a very naughty boy today in PE

• Advertisement

The Japanese are going to face some recriminations in the future for their inhumane and frankly stupid handling of this situation.

Option B should have been: The crew locked down the same as the passengers and all meals should have been brought to the ship from sources ashore.

Option A: They should have all been offloaded somewhere like a touristy island evacuated for the purpose or in a military base, as they are doing in the US.

Have they not worked out yet that asymptomatic infected crew members preparing several meals a day that go to passenger cabins might not be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Though to give some credit to the member of the Chinese community quoted:

"However, Tian Yu Lloyd said that this was very much a secondary issue to members of the Chinese community right now.

"The number 1 issue," she said is, "'is my community doing its best to prevent the virus from spreading to Ireland?'"

Weak, couldn't give a ****e, School Principals like that are why my school days were nothing but misery from age 4 to age 18.

"Mr Jessop would like to ask parents to remind your little darlings not to be psychotic little w*nkers to the foreign kids, the kids not good at sports, or the ones a little smaller than them. KThxBye!"

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Though to give some credit to the member of the Chinese community quoted:

"However, Tian Yu Lloyd said that this was very much a secondary issue to members of the Chinese community right now.

"The number 1 issue," she said is, "'is my community doing its best to prevent the virus from spreading to Ireland?'"

Sensible opinion and if as some say, it is likely to affect Asian males more so then they would be most affected. The number of Asian and Asian decent people in Ireland is probably 50 to 100K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lolanacho

I’m a bit confused...... I thought people could pass on the virus even if they didn’t have any symptoms!

RTE said tonight that that was not true:

“ Amedical journal study from earlier this month, which suggested that that the virus could be spread by people who were not displaying symptoms, was subsequently found to be flawed and was withdrawn.

However, the findings of the New England Journal of Medicine study were widely publicised before it was withdrawn.

This perception – that people displaying no symptoms may still be able to transmit the virus – appears to be contributing to anxiety in schools.

The school principal who spoke to RTÉ News was not aware of the fact that the findings of this study had been discredited.”

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

lolanacho wrote: »
    I’m a bit confused...... I thought people could pass on the virus even if they didn’t have any symptoms!

RTE said tonight that that was not true.

Well it's RTE , you expect accurate news from that crowd ?

• Advertisement

There are people who can be infected but are asymptomatic.

That TV License fee becomes better value everyday.

Don't know for sure yet - there are indications you can
    To know for sure you would need to know someone has the virus and monitor them...
    Chances are highly likely like other coronaviruses

The bigger worry is the resistance of the virus to survive outside the body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Meanwhile, this is the kind of virtue-signalling, social justice warrior, contrite bull****e that RTE consider to be the important aspect of the Corona Virus..
    A primary school principal has spoken out about the negative impact anxiety about the coronavirus is having upon children at her school.

She has told RTÉ News that schoolchildren have begun calling the virus "the China virus". She says that a small number of children at the school have engaged in "prank behaviour" which has caused offence to children of Chinese origin and their families.

A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
    We all fall down

'Coronavirus can be spread through people who aren’t exhibiting symptoms of the illness, the director of the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention said Thursday.
    Dr. Robert Redfield confirmed reports out of China that the virus can spread when the person is still asymptomatic, according to CNN.
    “There’s been good communication with our colleagues to confirm asymptomatic infection, to confirm asymptomatic transmission, to be able to get a better handle on the clinical spectrum of illness in China,” Redfield told the outlet.
    Redfield said it’s not known how much the asymptomatic cases are contributing to the spread of the virus — which has sickened more than 60,000 people worldwide — but the discovery is concerning.
    “What I’ve learned in the last two weeks is that the spectrum of this illness is much broader than was originally presented. There’s much more asymptomatic illness,” he said.
    He added that a number of confirmed cases presented with just a “little sore throat.”

Worrying news is the serious/critical patients rising from 7,084 yesterday to 9,638 today
    30% increase!
    With the increasing death trend this could start to see a massive increase in deaths in the next week

If this starts to hit places outside China then the health systems would be fecked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement