Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Zenify wrote: »
    Can you give a summary?

Have to admit That I missed the end of it.
    One expert saying that the UK is presently at where China was in early December, and that this is the most frightening outbreak that he has worked on. Again, I was only seeing bits of it.

Would like to see it all if anyone has a link.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

scotchy wrote: »
    Well that didn't put my mind at rest:o

Real wake up call for the head in the sand brigade

Can you give a summary?

UK about 6-8 weeks from a Wuhan type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BanditLuke wrote: »

Except there won't be a state wide lock down or quarantine.

BanditLuke wrote: »

Might be time to rethink the hard border.

:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

givyjoe wrote: »
    Except there won't be a state wide lock down or quarantine.

No.

Thínk the euros will be cancelled also. Any events where large crowds gather will be banned imo.

This kind of stuff won't happen in the UK or Ireland for instance.
    http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-everyone-arriving-in-beijing-must-self-isolate-or-be-punished-11934020

I missed most of it as food arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am starting to think and take my head out the sand. I have a conference in London on the 24th for 2 days flying to Heathrow.

3 things?

- If I go should I wear a mask - even though they are like gold dust.
    - Should I go?
    - Will there be lock downs on such events?

I missed most of it as food arrived.

Oooh, what ye get?

:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

anybody has a link to this or was it just on tv and not available yet?

Oooh, what ye get?

Chinese

:D

It will probably be on channel 4 website later to nite or tomorrow.

If you’ve got sky, it’s on +1 now or catch up shortly.

tara73 wrote: »
    anybody has a link to this or was it just on tv and not available yet?

Do we have access to more4? am i wasting my time registering?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Friend of mine traveling to Europe in a few weeks tried local chemists and all sold out was surprised. So people are obviously stocking up or else wearing them while traveling especially at airports I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Chong wrote: »
    I am starting to think and take my head out the sand. I have a conference in London on the 24th for 2 days flying to Heathrow.

3 things?

- Should I go?

Fair chance it will be cancelled.

Dont go if you or any close family member are in high risk for respiratory conditions.

Dont go if it is just a networking thing ie you arent active participant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

More than 1,700 health workers infected by coronavirus in China, the real heroes of China.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/14/more-than-1700-health-workers-infected-by-coronavirus-in-china

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wonder would a dry heat be needed... could humid weather help spread it with so much moisture in the air?

I walk 2 to 3 miles a day. 5 miles not uncommon.

I was in Shanghai in July and I remember one day i went from my hotel, went round the corner to the shop, bought water and a bottle of pepsi, walked back to my hotel, and had to have a lie down with the air con on full. The humidity can be debilitating.

Marry that humidity induced debilitation with any kind of respiratory problems from the virus and I can appreciate how humid conditions would not assist at all.

A dry Saharan heat however, is perhaps whats needed, but you won't get that in Singapore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The person at the bus conference was a SHE, sea breeze and it was in London.

She rang nhs number who advised her to get an ambulance or private transfer to hospital. I think there was a miscommunication and she thought private transfer meant taxi rather than her own transport. That’s why she got the Uber.

I think you are getting a number of news reports mixed up there tbh .

There are now nine confirmed cases in the UK.

One case involved a woman who flew into Heathrow from China at the weekend and then booked an Uber to take her to the A&E in Lewisham

Anothet case involved an unidentified individual who attended a transport conference in London
    It's understood the person who attended the conference is not linked to the ninth person identified with the virus in the UK- a woman from China who took an Uber to A&E after she developed symptoms.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-14/uk-coronavirus-patient-attended-london-conference-with-more-than-200-people-organisers-warn/
    According to the PA news agency, the bus conference case is not linked to the latest person in the UK to test positive for the virus earlier this week, a Chinese woman.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51503292

Oooh, what ye get?

He got a scratchy throat.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

3 things?

- Should I go?

Snap - am doing the same on the same dates. Will see how things develop in London over next week before deciding on what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dont go if you or any close family member are in high risk for respiratory conditions.

If in 2 weeks time, conferences in London or anywhere else in Europe are being cancelled because of this virus we will be in full on, lock the doors pandemic.

By all means make a personal choice but I really can't see that if I'm honest. And I'm a bit of tinfoil hat type person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The coming spring/summer is best chance of bringing this under control. Apparently the virus will not cope well in higher temps outside of winter. Until then chaos.

It's just going to love conditions here :/
    The team also found that low temperatures and high air humidity levels further boost the coronavirus’s lifespan.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200211/Coronavirus-can-live-on-common-surfaces-for-nine-days-how-to-kill-it.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

If in 2 weeks time, conferences in London or anywhere else in Europe are being cancelled because of this virus we will be in full on, lock the doors pandemic.
    Where on earth are you drawing that conclusion from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The Channel 4 doc is on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

By all means make a personal choice but I really can't see that if I'm honest. And I'm a bit of tinfoil hat type person.

The world's largest mobile phone showcase, Mobile World Congress (MWC), has been cancelled over coronavirus concerns, organisers have confirmed...
    MWC was due to be held in Barcelona on 24-27 February. More than 100,000 people usually attend the annual event, about 6,000 of whom travel from China.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51474116

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Where on earth are you drawing that conclusion from

He said IF. As in if it comes to that we are heading up a certain creek.

Yeah I am not sure , I am an asthma sufferer which is not great and have suffered pneumonia before.

Also only there as a viewer and networking really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The world's largest mobile phone showcase, Mobile World Congress (MWC), has been cancelled over coronavirus concerns, organisers have confirmed...
    MWC was due to be held in Barcelona on 24-27 February. More than 100,000 people usually attend the annual event, about 6,000 of whom travel from China.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51474116

I stand corrected :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Have people here bought masks?

I was looking online most shops are sold out impossible to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

No. Because that's mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I stand corrected :o

Different such a large event being cancelled. It would be much more concerning if your local residents association or credit union cancels its AGM.

Worth considering the economic impact though. I work in logistics, we've had a shipment cancelled by a customer and returned from Spain yesterday, was bound for MWC, because the event was called off. Cost them a very significant sum in wasted freight. Now multiply that by the number exhibitors and you're into millions.

Got two P3 disposables in woodies weeks ago for a few quid and this week bought a respirator for £17 on Amazon, the disposable ones were literally more per item.
    Not sure if it can be cleaned and reused but presumably more durable than the single use ones at least.
    It'll go in the press, and be there if it's needed. If not, then the next time I paint a room I don't need to buy anything.

Now that said, I'm a mad hypochondriac so I always consider my reaction to anything scary to be 10 times worse than is required. I'm almost certain they will be utterly unnecessary.

Even if the virus does come here, Ireland is almost a perfect place to contain it with the correct public health measures (and the HSE response will make or break it).
    We've locked the country down on red weather warnings, the same would simply be required for 21 days.

We are very small but relatively sparsely populated Island and also a first world country. There aren't many of that combination. Spanish flu barely affected us in comparison to the UK (yes, different world, granted now more globalised but also communication is faster to counter that)

If you look at the likes of Wuhan, it's insanely dense. Do a little project. Look at LA or London and then Wuhan on the same scale. There are 1.5 times as many people in Wuhan than eitherof those cities but look how geographically condensed it is. All 30-40-floor apartment blocks with every resident using the same lifts, lobbies, etc.

Spread there will always be exponentially higher than a western city where most residences are semi d's or 3-4 storey blocks at most.

Yes. Several boxes for my family and extended family. Bought them weeks ago now though so i don't know if they are still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do you not get the stats from China around this time?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

3 things?

- Should I go?

I was supposed to go to a mini-conference in London next month but I won't be going. I have a compromised immune system, because of longterm health issues and anything like this can either put me out of action for months or in a worst-case scenario, put me 6ft under.

In December 2018 I caught a relatively minor stomach/flu bug. I only recovered 2 months later and for most of Christmas, I was laid up in bed. If I didn't have the flu jab I could have been out for longer.

Anyone who is thinking of going to London for a conference needs their head examined. Why take the risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

this was probably posted already, but i just saw that Egypt reported its 1st case of coronavirus, thats the first on mainland Africa, a foreigner with no symptoms, according to local media

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

this was probably posted already, but i just saw that Egypt reported its 1st case of coronavirus, thats the first on mainland Africa, a foreigner with no symptoms, according to local media

Not a surprise as a lot of mainland Africa dont have any testing kits. According to Dr. John (not 100% source)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The start of that C4 documentary is upsetting. A city of 11 million people already looks like Pripryat. A woman gets taken away and is begging for death.

Like the Imperial College professor I hope I'm overreacting to all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not a surprise as a lot of mainland Africa dont have any testing kits. According to Dr. John (not 100% source)

Dr John scaremongering
    They were monitored as soon as they left the airplane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Interesting debate about these conferences. Do they even need to happen?

I would travel occasionally in my line of work. Not to conferences but to face to face customer meetings. Been in Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, France, UK in the last 18 months.

You could argue every one of those companies was set up for videoconferencing but the "face to face" is a very traditional (and to be honest, more effective) way of communicating. Video is not the same.
    However in current circumstances, I think it's only prudent that anyone who can work from home is allowed to do so, and that all conferencing that can remotely, is.

Unfortunately my experience in Ireland, especially in smaller businesses owned by the Irish ourselves, is that "ah it'll be grand". We are very isolated in terms of attitude. In a normal world, I feel it harms us greatly - if the worst does happen with this bug, and to be very clear I think it won't - slow reaction and slow willingness to allow remote working which should be allowed anyway, could in the worst cases cost lives.
    The start of that C4 documentary is upsetting. A city of 11 million people already looks like Pripryat. A woman gets taken away and is begging for death.

Like the Imperial College professor I hope I'm overreacting to all this.

As I've said a few times in this thread, please compare apples with apples.

Europeans and specifically the British are the calmest in crisis, digging in and getting on with it and from that attitude, when others get upset, we see them as overly hysterical. (think news reports from the middle east and asia, where public gatherings appear chaotic compared to similar events here).
    The Imperial College professor was bred with a stiff upper lip and "keep calm carry on" mentality.
    To him, the hysterical but human reaction of the Chinese is disproportionately alarming.
    China is an autocratic, dystopian state currently on overdrive and in panic mode. It cannot have people work from home to manufacture our cheap tat for us. (The west, by the way, is as much to blame for China's government as China is).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

...individuals confirmed to have the virus - spending 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person is judged to be a significant risk.

washing your hands often, using soap and water for at least 20 seconds - especially after coming into contact with the patient or something that they have handled.

Waste that has been in contact with the isolated person should be put in a plastic rubbish bag and tied - then tied up in a second bag.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51506729

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

If they had no symptoms how were they picked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

If they had no symptoms how were they picked up?

are the symptoms dormant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If the cases rocket in the UK we are going to have to put more serious measures in place at our airports and ports.

I really don't think we have the capacity to deal with that scenario.

If there were 9 cases of foot and mouth in the UK imagine the restrictions that would be in place now.

View from within the HSE: No need to panic. Buying masks is bollocks. Yet again, if frontline staff are that confident. Then, there is no need for immediate worry.

• Advertisement

Big jump in deaths - we may be entering a period where the critical patients are starting to die en masse

Jump again in serious/critical to 10,000+

View from within the HSE: No need to panic. Buying masks is bollocks. Yet again, if frontline staff are that confident. Then, there is no need for immediate worry.

If the HSE said today was Friday I'd check the calendar.

All eyes on Singapore and Japan the next few days. If they can't contain it there then its worst case scenario for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

we are dispersing large numbers of tds, mayors and country councillors to various parts of the USA to promote tourism to Ireland for Patrick's day. Same people who declared a climate emergency the other week.

I've travelled to the USA for work and academia. Presented at a few academic conferences. The work stuff had value because I could see the physical system I was making software for, talk directly to whomever I needed to talk to and engage with the customer. Never saw much value in the academic conferences. Fun but not of value imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement