Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I think you are underestimating how serious catching influenza is.

I had a very bad strain of the flu two years ago I did not sleep for close to 3 full days and nights my lungs were full of goo.

If somebody had of handed me a fatal overdose I would have taken it I am not joking it was that bad I understand now how the flu can kill.

I really hate the Chinese communist government but I also understand how smart they are and they are treating this way more serious than any flu.

Been a while since I heard the term 'oriental people'.

I don't like to use the term Asian as this is what you read after Muslim terror attacks.

The man who looked Asian and so on.

Oriental people are people native to the Orient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I misspoke. I suppose. I should rephrase it as this virus that causes upper respiratory distress similar to the flu. You are correct though, the coronavirus is different to influenza A/B/C

It causes lower respiratory as well

sweetie wrote: »
    You've lost me. Jeez

Happen you a lot?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I don't like to use the term Asian as this is what you read after Muslim terror attacks.

The man who looked Asian and so on.

Oriental people are people native to the Orient.

There's nobody currently native to the Orient.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    There's nobody currently native to the Orient.
    orient
    noun
    noun: the Orient
    /ˈɔːrɪənt,ˈɒrɪənt/
    LITERARY
    the countries of the East, especially East Asia.
    "the treasures of the Orient"

Not that it matters anyway I am old I do not speak millennial.

Lets get back to we are all doomed again.:D

fritzelly wrote: »

It's mainly upper respiratory. LRTI is kinda synonymous with pneumonia. Influenza nearly always starts as a URTI. But that can lead to viral pneumonia in the lower lobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

https://youtu.be/Bb4BlkOhlXs

Dr. JOHN

Mostly good news that children aren't having bad symptoms

Zenify wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Bb4BlkOhlXs

Dr. JOHN

Mostly good news that children aren't having bad symptoms

So Greta Thunberg will be safe? Thank God for that.

I suppose she thinks this is a good thing doing away with us oldies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Been a while since I heard the term 'oriental people'.

I would have thought that was a fairly common phrase.

• Advertisement

Oriental people have on average the highest IQs in the world they produce and have invented some great stuff Playstation Samsung Gunpowder.

The Irish have the lowest average IQ in Western Europe for anybody interested.

I didn't know that but I am not surprised either. China is a very impressive country despite it's political system.

I would have thought that was a fairly common phrase.
    Thanks I would have thought so too.
    This younger generation will never cease to shock us all.
    Revealed: Irish kids aged 12 'cannot run, jump, catch or even hit a ball'
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/revealed-irish-kids-aged-12-cannot-run-jump-catch-or-even-hit-a-ball-36043842.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It seems to like the lung a lot, one of its distinguishing features, the lower incidence of upper rti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I misspoke. I suppose. I should rephrase it as this virus that causes upper respiratory distress similar to the flu. You are correct though, the coronavirus is different to influenza A/B/C

And to quote the frontline doctor interviewed...” it’s not like anything we’ve seen. (This Dr. was frontline for SARS outbreak as well and is no stranger to trauma and stress) their condition might worsen we still don’t understand the mechanism for it. It deals damage outside the lung as well, including our circulatory system, our heart, liver and kidney and our blood system. It could deal a lethal blow to the entire body, this is a special characteristic of the illness” Dr. From Shanghai Wuhan reinforcement team.

The majority of people seeming to be recovering quite well from the infection. It seems to me that in a normal person, this strain is flu is less severe than the seasonal.flu.

But it isn’t an influenza. And what is a normal person?

I know quite a few “normal” people on immunosuppressant drugs for autoimmune diseases and often these are younger people. Pregnant women are immune compromised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Spoke about the virus to a few health professionals but they don't seem too worried yet. I wonder is that they are so busy they don't take much notice of what's coming?

So Greta Thunberg will be safe? Thank God for that.

I suppose she thinks this is a good thing doing away with us oldies.

Wow you must be a huge Greta Thunberg fan and supporter if she's forefront of your mind when you hear children are at low risk with this disease. Unless you were being sarcastic? But that would be truly disturbing so surely not?

I didn't know that but I am not surprised either. China is a very impressive country despite it's political system.

Take a look at this not PC but factual.

SDTCVDS.png

The top six smartest nations on earth

Rank Country IQ
    1 Singapore 108
    2 Hong Kong 108
    3 Taiwan 106
    4 South Korea 106
    5 Japan 105
    6 China 104

Ireland is 39 on that list with an average IQ of 94.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow you must be a huge Greta Thunberg fan and supporter if she's forefront of your mind when you hear children are at low risk with this disease. Unless you were being sarcastic? But that would be truly disturbing so surely not?

Lol checkmate

saabsaab wrote: »
    Spoke about the virus to a few health professionals but they don't seem too worried yet. I wonder is that they are so busy they don't take much notice of what's coming?

So you got expert advice and choose to dismiss it because they are busy?

• Advertisement

Or a joke FFS.
    I am well aware it is the adults in the background pulling the carbon tax strings.

So you got expert advice and choose to dismiss it because they are busy?

No not at all. Just wondered why they aren't more aware especially as they will be in the front line!

Or a joke FFS.

You should do stand up. Children at risk of serious illness is top notch stuff.

You should do stand up. Children at risk of serious illness is top notch stuff.

If a pandemic is coming everybody is at risk.:confused:

SDTCVDS.png

Rank Country IQ
    1 Singapore 108
    2 Hong Kong 108
    3 Taiwan 106
    4 South Korea 106
    5 Japan 105
    6 China 104

IQ is a load of ****. You can't actually measure intelligence in that way.

saabsaab wrote: »
    No not at all. Just wondered why they aren't more aware especially as they will be in the front line!

More aware of what exactly?
    Of the social media hype and hysteria?
    Maybe it's because they are intelligent.

IQ is a load of ****. You can't actually measure intelligence in that way.

:D:D:D:D
    You did not agree with your own result I take it?:D

It is funny that very few people from the top six countries end up on the old scratcher.

Must be something in it.

If a pandemic is coming everybody is at risk.:confused:

But children are at less risk of serious symptoms. And when someone mentioned that you just had to reply with a sarcastic comment about a child. Off topic and pretty messed up. Get a life.

SDTCVDS.png

Rank Country IQ
    1 Singapore 108
    2 Hong Kong 108
    3 Taiwan 106
    4 South Korea 106
    5 Japan 105
    6 China 104

There are many facets to intelligence. IQ measures a narrow range. It is not meaningless but by no means could say somebody is outright 'smarter' than another person based solely on their IQ. Notice the clear trend towards higher IQ and nations with higher levels of education, of course not being educated doesnt mean youre not smart, its just means youre not educated in the fields we associate with 'intelligence'.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D
    You did not agree with your own result I take it?:D

It is funny that very few people from the top six countries end up on the old scratcher.

Must be something in it.

Oh. I'm a stupid ****. Hence why I'm on this thread. But it doesn't actually measure intelligence. Education has an effect on it. So it doesn't actually measure innate intelligence.

More aware of what exactly?
    Of the social media hype and hysteria?
    Maybe it's because they are intelligent.

Aware of the developing situation and the latest facts! Not denying their intelligence but that didn't stop Doctors, nurses and careworkers dying in Wuhan did it?

tara73 wrote: »
    yes, be careful. have a friend living in Beijing (also at the moment, poor pet), and they apparently spit constantly everywhere. Once someone spit on her leg accidentally, sitting in a bus..blergh

You can end up in jail in Singapore for spitting. Or doing anything antisocial. The Chinese government would do well to add spitting offence to their law-breaking intolerance.

Oh. I'm a stupid ****. Hence why I'm on this thread. But it doesn't actually measure intelligence. Education has an effect on it. So it doesn't actually measure innate intelligence.

How did I get into this tangent I am partly to blame also.

Somebody said pointing out what some dirty individuals in China were doing by spitting and wiping spit on surfaces was racist.

I was just pointing out how developed China was and having a go at SOME
    dirty individuals is not racist or anti Chinese.

Sorry for being partially to blame for dragging this thread off topic.

Any chance of getting back on topic as I along with most other people are just trying to figure out how likely we are to be hit by this thing and how bad it will be.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great that is all we needed not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Sad to see comments here and elsewhere discarding older people getting this - as long as everyone else is fine, no problem. Do you not have parents or grandparents? I'm not worried about myself - I'm only just in my 30s - but am worried about relatives. Of course there are always risks for older people, but a pandemic is a bloody unlucky way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

fr336 wrote: »
    Sad to see comments here and elsewhere discarding older people getting this - as long as everyone else is fine, no problem. Do you not have parents or grandparents? I'm not worried about myself - I'm only just in my 30s - but am worried about relatives. Of course there are always risks for older people, but a pandemic is a bloody unlucky way to go.

following this thread quite closely and havn't seen one remark discarding older people..??

tara73 wrote: »
    following this thread quite closely and havn't seen one remark discarding older people..??

Maybe nobody said it outright but you hear it a lot' why is anyone making a fuss about this? Its overhyped, the only people are dying are 60+', that kind thing. Personally I dont see how the mortality rate in 60+ being high is any reassurance, most people in their 60's are pefectly healthy under normal circumstances and should be able to fend off a virus easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's been said here and loads of other places that they're not great for containment. Aside from psychologically, you will let your guard down more easily if you think they're protecting you. They get clogged with dirt and particles and become disgusting and unusable. You'll stop a cough or sneeze with the crook of your elbow more hygienically and then don't touch it or people and wash your clothes on a hot wash straight away when you're home. It sounds looney but it's the only practice that will really keep you protected.

A load of people laughed at me a few days ago when I wouldn't shake their hands, saying "because of the coronavirus, I'd say we should get out of the habit of doing that for a while". I pretended I was joking along with them at the time, to not wreck the buzz, but it made me conscious of the fact that people really aren't taking it seriously. A trainee doctor even went to shake my head when I went in the other day. Fck that.

Crucial hand hygiene practices and staying back from people, if you have to go in public during an outbreak, are the only way you'll even be in with a chance of avoiding it. Everyone should have the option to stay at home today anyway, the weather is crap and everyone is dying :rolleyes:.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Interesting. But if theres no evidence it spreads more than influenze or is more dangerous, why do China and other Asian countries continue to implement such extreme measures with indefinite timespan, surely scientists in Asian countries would have made Asian governments aware of this information by now? Does anyone know what the hospital mortality rate for flu is?

9-10% Corona currently 15% and falling which put's it currently around 1.5 times deadlier than the flu. Pretty far off the 250 some here were claiming.
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Extreme measures are in place because the death rate is way higher than 2%, the data is out there, you just need a calculator

2% death rate means that out of 100 people, 2 people died and 98 people recovered
    At the moment however out of 100 people we have 2 deaths, 13 recovered and 85 still sick

It's been pointed out a million times already that this number does not take into account unconfirmed cases which would way outnumber confirmed ones as the flu figures do. It's far below 2%
    dublin99 wrote: »
    The death rate in China is much higher. People are not tested and therefore not diagnosed (officially) and many people die at home as they are not admitted to hospital. These deaths are not included in the official figures.

In many cases whole families are infected. In Hong Kong in a high rise block, it was spread through the sewage pipes from a man who lived in flat on a high floor to a woman ten floors below. She then infected her son and daughter in law. The daughter in law had a family dinner in a restaurant in a different part of town and infected her father and other relatives!

The problem is it can spread before any symptoms are noticed as incubation is up to 14 days. In fact on the Diamond Princess,of the latest group of 67 (out of 287 cases) 38 cases had no symptoms at all so they can be "invisible" carriers of the virus!

By the same logic a lot more unaccounted for are surviving than dying. Most who are sick enough to be near death will be hospitalised. Those who recover won't be. Do you think family and friends will just let their loved ones die at home? They are rounding up people for coughing or not wearing face masks.
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The data is out there, if you want to know your chances of survival in case you get infected the best thing to do it taking a calculator and work out the rate. You have total deaths, Total infected, total survivals. It ultimately boils down to how you want to look at data

There's a right and wrong way to look at the data. You are looking at it wrong.

BloodBath wrote: »

9-10% Corona currently 15% and falling which put's it currently around 1.5 times deadlier than the flu. Pretty far off the 250 some here were claiming. Still enough to take precautions though. Not knocking anyone for that.

It's been pointed out a million times already that this number does not take into account unconfirmed cases which would way outnumber confirmed ones as the flu figures do. It's far below 2%

By the same logic a lot more unaccounted for are surviving than dying. Most who are sick enough to be near death will be hospitalised. Those who recover won't be. Do you think family and friends will just let their loved ones die at home? They are rounding up people for coughing or not wearing face masks.

There's a right and wrong way to look at the data. You are looking at it wrong.

I only heard one person claim it was 250 times times more deadly than flu on this thread. Corona looks to have a mortality rate between 0.4% and 2.2%, with the lower estimate being still 4 times more lethal than regular flu.The mortality rate internationally and in china outside Hubei are both 0.4%, with a severe complication rate of between 4-10%. These figures appear reliable as its thought the international cases are accuately monitored. It is not known how many unconfirmed cases there are in China and its actually pretty unlikely that it is a huge number given the fact that you can be very harshly legally prosecuted for not admitting yourself to hospital if you show any symptoms of a flu, you also will have your name recorded if buying any flu meds. It looks like coronavirus is less dangerous than first thought but still considerably greater danger than seasonal flu.

There is currently no danger in Ireland as there is no cases, and its unlikely to experience an outbreak soon. But the Wuhan death rate shows how dangerous this flu can be when there are a large number of cases and the hospitals are inundated. If I lived in Japan or Singapore, I would be concerned for older relatives. And of course China's healthcare is not even bad, it represents a very significant danger to developing countries with high population densities and poor healthcare, hence the harsh measures introduced in countries bordering China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

wakka12 wrote: »
    I only heard one person claim it was 250 times times more deadly than flu on this thread. Corona looks to have a mortality rate between 0.4% and 2.2%, with the lower estimate being still 4 times more lethal than regular flu.The mortality rate internationally and in china outside Hubei are both 0.4%, which a severe complication rate of between 4-10%. These figures appear reliable as its thought the international cases are accuarely monitored. It is not known how many unconfirmed cases there are in China and its actually pretty unlikely that it is a huge number given the fact that you can now be legally prosecuted for not admitting yourself to hospital if you show any symptoms of a flu. It looks like coronavirus is less dangerous than first thought but still considerably greater danger than seasonal flu.

accepted flu mortality rate is .01%, so even if coronus rate was 0.4% it would still be 40 times more deadlier, not 4

bb12 wrote: »
    accepted flu mortality rate is .01%, so even if coronus rate was 0.4% it would still be 40 times more deadlier, not 4

Lot of people have problems with maths - it's 4 times

Misread the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

No he was right.

Too small a sample range really to prove one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

.01 is 1/100
    0.4 is 40/100

.01 is 1/100
    0.4 is 40/100

Yeah sorry, thought you wrote 0.1

Is seasonal flu really just 0.01%? Hm maybe I can see why governments are reacting so dramatically then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

2% mortality means that out of 100 people, 2 people die and 98 live
    This is not the case with covid-19
    So far out of 100 people, 2 people died, 13 lived and 85 are still sick
    the mortality rate will be 2% only if all 85 live, why is it so difficult to understand?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement