Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Confirmed case in Perth tonight.

Australia? Individual cases aren't a huge cause of concern. It's when there is a secondary infection reported that we need to worry. I'm actually surprised that there wasn't more news today about escalation. Maybe the Chinese efforts to quarantine have been effective. But that doesn't make sense with the estimated R0 and long incubation period. I think the next few days will tell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So far all the cases outside china are in people who have visited the affected region. If this really is that contagious then we should start to see cases popping up of people infected by these travellers in the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So far all the cases outside china are in people who have visited the affected region. If this really is that contagious then we should start to see cases popping up of people infected by these travellers in the next week or so.

New case in Canada, partner of an infected traveler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    New case in Canada, partner of an infected traveler.

who traveled with him big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If incubation is 10-14 days we will have a better idea of how contagious it is by next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its not an average of 14 days, that was just the maximum length observed in any patient. A majority show symptoms by day 5. So it really does seem Chinese quarantine was extremely effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

who traveled with him big difference

Yes and put herself into isolation as soon as her husband started showing symptoms. Hopefully this has helped it not to spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is it not time to ban flights here from affected areas of China?

Perhaps that is already the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

saabsaab wrote: »

There are none.

There are none.

Thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Thank God.
    There are loads of connecting flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

There are loads of connecting flights.
    Not right now. Not to Hubei. The airports there are closed. There are flights from other regions, but most of those have fairly limited numbers of infected so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The biggest issue will be any Chinese living here - eg students - who returned lately. But as pointed out so far not really much secondary infection occurring outside China, which is - touch wood - a great sign.

Scotland?

Sorry, Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Perhaps that is already the case?

I think we should ban all flights that don’t actually exist. To be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Has anyone watched that documentary 'Pandemic' on Netflix? Really interesting look at the professionals around the world that work at predicting, preventing and isolating outbreaks like this.

There's a startup company trying to make a universal vaccine that will work for all past and all future mutations of influenza. Very interesting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iCareNotOneJot

LOL that people think a virus can be stopped by banning flights

LOL that people think a virus can be stopped by banning flights

It would slow it down until it could be treated.

4742 wrote: »
    Please stop spreading dangerous conspiracies.
    You may cause panic and unrest.
    Stop terrorizing your entire family, friends and neighbours.

You can stay away from internet for a few days to clean your mind.
    I mean it, friend.
    The Chinese authority knows best on the situation. It contains what we will know for the tragedy. Let us be calm and not exaggerate the circumstance. We will know from what they tell us. So far we will be alright.

We all know that China is safely quarantined and few occasional cases in other countries are already well managed. China has cured the disease and made progress

It has been cured. There is not anything to worry for. We can relax this evening now and cease to worry our peers.

'Dangerous conspiracies'? Who said anything about conspiracy?
    As for China having cured this virus I ahve seen nothing on a cure yet!

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Insert Homer Simpson "The leader is good,the leader is great" gif here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I hope that's a troll :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I mean it, friend.
    The Chinese authority knows best on the situation. It contains what we will know for the tragedy. Let us be calm and not exaggerate the circumstance. We will know from what they tell us. So far we will be alright.

We all know that China is safely quarantined and few occasional cases in other countries are already well managed. China has cured the disease and made progress

Link

It has been cured. There is not anything to worry for. We can relax this evening now and cease to worry our peers.

are you Baghdad ali??

I mean it, friend.

Link

My head is a little frazzled after a few threads, but please tell me that this is a piss-take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,725 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I mean it, friend.

Link

Thank you for reassuring us president xi, we will dutifully believe everything you have said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

I mean it, friend.

Link

Don't worry about us cuz, this is Ireland you are talking to.

We be down the pub chasing Death every night of the week.

We are ready for implosion like a microwave dinner anytime.

How are ye doing?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thank you for reassuring us president xi, we will dutifully believe everything you have said

Xi has better English than that, and is far better at playing a crowd... :D

It's more like one of my students TBH. A freshman or sophomore student with intermittent English ability, and incredibly naive logic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Enter The Flu Tang Clan

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thank you for reassuring us president xi,

I read that as president eleven
    buried wrote: »
    Enter The Flu Tang Clan

“I make more noise than heavy metal” :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

He is also in good condition. There has been no case of anything but a mild reaction to the virus in the 70 or so infections outside China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The communication is only to assure that the tragedy in China has been managed and contained.

To spread fear and baseless rumours is to abstain from all responsibility.

To say again, this virus is a minor thing and China already is proccessing the vaccine.

I agree with you, the leader is good. Can I have 500 social credits now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

To say again, this virus is a minor thing and China already is proccessing the vaccine.

It's not minor large parts of the country are on lockdown and Mongolia has closed it's border.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

KungPao wrote:
    The mainstream media won’t carry this. Governments around the world now trying to limit the panic.

It's all over mainstream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ciaranis wrote: »
    It's all over mainstream media.
    KungPao wrote:
    I hear Madagascar has shut down all its ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

BREAKING: Epicenter of coronavirus outbreak reports 1,291 new cases and 24 new deaths, raising death toll to 106
    690 people are now in serious or critical condition. Another huge increase.

We're still waiting for the national update. This update is only from Hubei province.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221959266682265602

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I agree with you, the leader is good. Can I have 500 social credits now please?

Imgaine if we had such an issue here? Carnage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

cintec wrote: »
    It's not minor large parts of the country are on lockdown and Mongolia has closed it's border.

is this 4742 just basically someone trolling

BREAKING: Epicenter of coronavirus outbreak reports 1,291 new cases and 24 new deaths, raising death toll to 106
    690 people are now in serious or critical condition. Another huge increase.

We're still waiting for the national update. This update is only from Hubei province.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221959266682265602

5 million left before they shut down wuhan!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

At current projections cases in major cities are thought to peak around mid-May, so it appears this has a while to run yet. If the Chinese gov. limits mobility further to control the spread, it could tip the economy into recession or at least what feels like recession to most Chinese.

No good options in front of the Chinese gov at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

56 million quarantined/banned from travel in china.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I went into Asian supermarket and all the staff had masks on. Way to make me feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

is this 4742 just basically someone trolling

Are you talking about confirmed cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭circadian

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I went into Asian supermarket and all the staff had masks on. Way to make me feel better.

You do realise the masks are usually worn to stop the spread of colds etc, not to stop the wearer from catching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

circadian wrote: »
    You do realise the masks are usually worn to stop the spread of colds etc, not to stop the wearer from catching them.

You are very much wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

circadian wrote: »
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    You are very much wrong.

I heard the same as circadian. That wearing a mask is often a case of a person not wanting to pass a cold/flu on to another. Weather it works or not is a different story of course.

I heard the same as circadian. That wearing a mask is often a case of a person not wanting to pass a cold/flu on to another. Weather it works or not is a different story of course.

Perhaps in Ireland sure but face masks around the world are to stop the user breathing in pollution, secondly for defense against illnesses.

Hong Kong has now imposed severe restrictions on travel. Time to do the same here. See link

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/world/asia/china-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The fear spreads like the virus, person to person. Saw a person on the train this morning wearing a mask. It didn't go unnoticed by the other punters crammed in together in close quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Hong Kong has now imposed severe restrictions on travel. Time to do the same here.

Why?

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The fear spreads like the virus, person to person. Saw a person on the train this morning wearing a mask. It didn't go unnoticed by the other punters crammed in together in close quarters.

What's wrong with wearing a mask?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement