Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I think one thing will/should have to be called into question after all this and that's the fact that all these viruses arise in China and they're all in some way related to their often barbaric animal husbandry and wild animal practises. If the world is going to have to deal with this type of ****e every 15-20 years because of a controlling state like China creates the conditions and hides the outcome then surely stricter controls need to be put in place.
    This may have been ok 100 years ago when such a virus just wiped out the people engaged in this but the world is far too interconnected now.

tromtipp wrote: »
    " I don't think those averages can just be applied to every family. All the family members were around 55+, for example "

The parents and their two children were ALL 55+? Odd family.

What's odd about that? The man was 56, his sibling was a similar age and not surprisingly their parents were even older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the profile of the deaths so far? Has it killed anyone healthy in their 20s or mainly and older population?

There have been people in their 20s killed, also people in their 90s the median age is the difference between the two.
    But children seem to be able to shake it off quicker..

This article discusses it and references a few case studies..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/why-kids-missing-coronavirus-cases.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    I think one thing will/should have to be called into question after all this and that's the fact that all these viruses arise in China and they're all in some way related to their often barbaric animal husbandry and wild animal practises. If the world is going to have to deal with this type of ****e every 15-20 years because of a controlling state like China creates the conditions and hides the outcome then surely stricter controls need to be put in place.
    This may have been ok 100 years ago when such a virus just wiped out the people engaged in this but the world is far too interconnected now.

Absolutely. Remember too, those wet markets were actually illegal. The law was not being enforced.

Spudmonkey wrote: »

You know Spanish flu started in the States, right?
    Smallpox came from Egypt or India.
    Scarlet fever came from Europe..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the profile of the deaths so far? Has it killed anyone healthy in their 20s or mainly and older population?

I think this is a very important question and I wonder why it's not available/done by China/WHO.
    And before the racist/pc brigade shows up again, it's NOT to discriminate elderly people, it's to get the facts right who is mostly affected by the virus to get a better perception of the overall situation and get it under control the best we can (silly to even explain/justify this..:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,718 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

SeaBreezes wrote: »

oddly heard this mentioned as a factoid this morning
    China

More recently, experts have proposed a third hypothesis: The Spanish flu originated somewhere in northern China in late 1917 and swiftly moved to western Europe with the 140,000 Chinese laborers the French and British governments recruited to perform manual labor to free up troops for wartime duty.May 22, 2018

Spanish Flu: Origins and Facts - HISTORY

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

" I don't think those averages can just be applied to every family. All the family members were around 55+, for example "

The parents and their two children were ALL 55+? Odd family.

It said a man born in 1965, his sister, and his parents died . So yes all presumably around 55+, sister could be a bit younger who knows, or could even be way older

'Family ' doesn't mean a young mom and dad an two small children

Did it? I heard it was unknown where Spanish flu occurred. The name came about because Spain was one of only countries without media censorship so the world thought it was affecting Spain worst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

ok, fair enough re: the family ages, I got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

ok, fair enough re: the family ages, I got it wrong.

On the Internet you get 3 goes at being wrong about anything, on the 4th time you get instantly vaporised by a laser from a drone that is programmed to seek out your IP address. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Once this virus takes a hold in India or Africa, it will be around for a decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Gynoid wrote: »
    On the Internet you get 3 goes at being wrong about anything, on the 4th time you get instantly vaporised by a laser from a drone that is programmed to seek out your IP address. Best of luck.

That explains why some people are unable to ever admist to having got something wrong then. Some will brazen it out, while others disappear off and come back with a new username. Now I know why. :D

(Seriously though, fair play to Tromtipp for saying so.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

tara73 wrote: »
    I think this is a very important question and I wonder why it's not available/done by China/WHO.
    And before the racist/pc brigade shows up again, it's NOT to discriminate elderly people, it's to get the facts right who is mostly affected by the virus to get a better perception of the overall situation and get it under control the best we can (silly to even explain/justify this..:rolleyes:)

From what I have read its having the greatest critical effect on people aged 55 or over, more men than women and seems to have little effect on those under 15.

From the death stats available so far it does seem to be killing older people and those with underlying conditions (similar to flu) although there have been some that don't fit that category who have died as well.

silverharp wrote: »
    oddly heard this mentioned as a factoid this morning
    First reported case in States, hard to see how it could have originated in another country and only first be reported in the States

where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918.

On 4 March 1918, company cook Albert Gitchell reported sick at Fort Riley, an American military facility that at the time was training American troops during World War I, making him the first recorded victim of the flu. Within days, 522 men at the camp had reported sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Chang Kai, born in 1964, worked at #Hubei Film Studio, died of #COVID19 in the morning on the #valentinsday . His sister died in the same afternoon. His father died on Jan 28. His mother died on Jan 31. Within 17 days, four members died. His wife was infected too

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1228799606588420097

In the tweet comments: If the mortality rate of the virus was really 2.5% as China is telling the world, the probability of a family of four being killed by the virus is one in 2.5 million. If the mortality was 10% it is one in 10,000. I suspect the real rate is north of 10%

The example of one family is a statistical outlier. It's anecdotal and shouldn't be used an example of anything other than bad luck for that poor family. Based on the cases we've seen so far mortality rate seems to be somewhere between 2% to 3%. It's worth noting that China has been reporting a drop in the number of new cases for the last 3 days in a row now so it would seem at the moment that the spread of this virus is starting to slow after it's peak in the last 2 weeks or so. So it's unlikely the mortality will rise much now, as the spread of the virus slows down the number of people infected will drop and this virus will have run it's course in 4 to 6 weeks or so. It'll likely continue to be an issue in Hubei for another year or more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228998880244781058

1st from Taiwan to die, 60's with underlying medical issues (diabetes and Hep B.)
    Was he recorded as serious/critical before death?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I just think it's a little too perfect of a virus to be natural.

It's ability to transmit, reinfect and kill is phenomenal.

Rumours of it being capable of living on surfaces for lengthy periods and capable of being transmitted by food or goods.

It's apparent non effect on those under 15 years old. It's seeming lethality specifically on Asian people due to the receptors and the way the lungs react.

The timing too, a time of huge gathering and travelling for Chinese New year.

I don't know, I suppose good news is China reporting drops in cases (if figures are legit) also the Christmas Island evacuees all seem to be clear after quarantine.

I feel like I could be in tin foil hat territory but I would not be surprised to learn if it was man made or a purposeful release.

You really could keep going into all sorts of rabbit holes regarding what exactly is the full story surrounding this virus.

If it’s so contagious why isn’t it spreading faster outside of China? Is it that 85% will have such mild symptoms that most cases might go actually unrecorded?

Do the authorities believe it’s a natural virus or biologically made? I imagine they won’t want to discuss this publically, but I presume they have all sorts of theories as to how this started. I thought that it was debunked that it started in that market, so what was the explanation?

I also can’t get my head around containment of this virus. If it can be 2 weeks before some people show symptoms it would be virtually impossible to stop the spread. How many people would the average person interact with in 2 weeks? Now add in people going to different countries, how many people would they meet, even just passing in an airport? If it takes 15 minutes of exposure to get it (heard that somewhere) then what about a person getting public transport to the airport. Then cueing up to check bags in. Then cueing up at security. Then having some food or drink. Then cueing up to get on plane. Then being on plane. Then waiting for bags at other end of destination. Then public transfer. Checking into hotel and then somebody cleaning that room the next day...

How does the virus not be catching on everywhere?

I’m genuinely curious....

From what I have read its having the greatest critical effect on people aged 55 or over, more men than women and seems to have little effect on those under 15.

From the death stats available so far it does seem to be killing older people and those with underlying conditions (similar to flu) although there have been some that don't fit that category who have died as well.

The tendency towards male cases may be due to the fact that most men in China smoke tobacco.

laurah591 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228998880244781058

1st from Taiwan to die, 60's with underlying medical issues (diabetes and Hep B.)
    Was he recorded as serious/critical before death?

Not yesterday anyway, there were just 6 critical yesterday in the Chinese regions Macau Hong Kong Taiwan , all 6 were in HK

Don't think it'd take much to kill a diabetic 60 something with Hep B, poor guy

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    You really could keep going into all sorts of rabbit holes regarding what exactly is the full story surrounding this virus.

If it’s so contagious why isn’t it spreading faster outside of China? Is it that 85% will have such mild symptoms that most cases might go actually unrecorded?

Do the authorities believe it’s a natural virus or biologically made? I imagine they won’t want to discuss this publically, but I presume they have all sorts of theories as to how this started. I thought that it was debunked that it started in that market, so what was the explanation?

I also can’t get my head around containment of this virus. If it can be 2 weeks before some people show symptoms it would be virtually impossible to stop the spread. How many people would the average person interact with in 2 weeks? Now add in people going to different countries, how many people would they meet, even just passing in an airport? If it takes 15 minutes of exposure to get it (heard that somewhere) then what about a person getting public transport to the airport. Then cueing up to check bags in. Then cueing up at security. Then having some food or drink. Then cueing up to get on plane. Then being on plane. Then waiting for bags at other end of destination. Then public transfer. Checking into hotel and then somebody cleaning that room the next day...

How does the virus not be catching on everywhere? It’s been outside China for a month I think at this stage, is it unusual that we still don’t appear to know much about it (including how it spreads)?

People have immune systems that fight it off. Your body comes into contact with thousands of different viruses and bacteria constantly 24/7. There's viruses and bacteria swilling around in your blood stream right now. They're all over your skin and clothes, on everything you touch etc etc. The normal influenza virus (in it's various strains) killed around 60,000 people last year in the UK alone. The only reason this one is getting attention is because it's new and new viruses are always more of a threat due people's immune systems not recognising them. Like all the other times this has happened it persists for a couple of months and then eventually subsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MadYaker wrote: »
    The example of one family is a statistical outlier. It's anecdotal and shouldn't be used an example of anything other than bad luck for that poor family. Based on the cases we've seen so far mortality rate seems to be somewhere between 2% to 3%. It's worth noting that China has been reporting a drop in the number of new cases for the last 3 days in a row now so it would seem at the moment that the spread of this virus is starting to slow after it's peak in the last 2 weeks or so. So it's unlikely the mortality will rise much now, as the spread of the virus slows down the number of people infected will drop and this virus will have run it's course in 4 to 6 weeks or so. It'll likely continue to be an issue in Hubei for another year or more though.

If we have learnt anything about the coronvirus is that it appears to be highly variable among those who are infected. Some only report coughs and mild symptoms - others (a much smaller number apparently) end up in ICU requiring intensive medical care.

Looking at disease modeling- for any given population - infection rates will generally start to plateau as all those at risk fall Ill, recover or die. That is not to say that the outbreak is starting to slow - rather it is in transmission to other susceptible populations.

The wider spread of that infection to other areas will most likely follow a similar pattern imo. The current increase in numbers in surrounding regions and countries is a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

People have immune systems that fight it off. Your body comes into contact with thousands of different viruses and bacteria constantly 24/7. There's viruses and bacteria swilling around in your blood stream right now. They're all over your skin and clothes, on everything you touch etc etc. The normal influenza virus (in it's various strains) killed around 60,000 people last year in the UK alone. The only reason this one is getting attention is because it's new and new viruses are always more of a threat due people's immune systems not recognising them. Like all the other times this has happened it persists for a couple of months and then eventually subsides.

Its not comparable to the flu. Far more dangerous and contagious

Yeah id be surprised if there isn't some transmission in singapore or tokyo. But it doesn't look like it'll be on the same level as what we saw in China. Part of the issue in China is that people don't cover their mouths when they cough, it just isn't considered something you do. People will cough right in your face and think nothing of it. Spitting on the street is also very common. I think these issues combined with very high pop density in urban areas are why China has struggled and we haven't seen the same spread elsewhere. Bit of a head scratcher though.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its not comparable to the flu. Far more dangerous and contagious

It is comparable, they are both viruses with similar pathology. It's too early to say that this corona virus is far more dangerous or contagious. We don't have enough info to make that call yet, but it looks likely as the mortality rate from the likes of influenza A and B is lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Can you link to a report for this please as I can't seem to find anywhere near those numbers reported for UK flu/influenza deaths.

I think it was 2018 not 2019, ill try find the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Ms2011

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The tendency towards male cases may be due to the fact that most men in China smoke tobacco.

Would China's one child policy and favoritism towards sons not mean that it would have a higher male population and therefore higher likelihood of male casualties also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think it was 2018 not 2019, ill try find the report.

I seen something from 2017/2018that said an extra 45k deaths but that seems to have been down to an ineffective flu shot that only protected 1/10 especially over 65's.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Would China's one child policy and favoritism towards sons not mean that it would have a higher male population and therefore higher likelihood of male casualties also?

Despite the one child policy (which is now abolished) China's population is about 45:55 women to men, not much different to the rest of the world. If the virus is affecting more men it's likely because more men are smokers.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »

Maybe that too. Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,357 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Despite the one child policy (which is now abolished) China's population is about 45:55 women to men, not much different to the rest of the world. If the virus is affecting more men it's likely because more men are smokers.

More likely it is because of smoking.
    Secondary factor - could men also be more exposed to air pollution, working outdoors or in factories I wonder? And therefore possible damage to respiratory system.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Air quality in urban areas in China is generally very bad and has been for decades I think so that probably doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

It appeals the hospital they erected in 120 days in Wuhan is leaking heavely =, I don't know how much of the hospital is damaged. This was a brick and mortar location but more modules assembled and put together without

https://twitter.com/BasedPoland/status/1228900576576069632

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,357 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I seen something from 2017/2018that said an extra 45k deaths but that seems to have been down to an ineffective flu shot that only protected 1/10 especially over 65's.

That seems to be a very broad figure of excess winter mortality... I don't think it even looked at what the actual deaths were from. Ineffective flu vaccine is a good theory, but for all we know there was another virus or infection in circulation, and\or something exceptional about the weather \ pollution conditions.
    How much of it was down to below average winter temperatures and the 'Beast from the East'.

It seems hard to scale up from these figures to 50000:
    UK an average of 600 people a year die from complications of seasonal flu. However in 2013-14, it is estimated that about 11,000 people died from flu-related causes.
    https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

First reported case in States, hard to see how it could have originated in another country and only first be reported in the States

where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918.

On 4 March 1918, company cook Albert Gitchell reported sick at Fort Riley, an American military facility that at the time was training American troops during World War I, making him the first recorded victim of the flu. Within days, 522 men at the camp had reported sick

If, say, a Chinese person delivering food supplies, or working as an assistant in the kitchen had gotten sick and died, it would never have been recorded or mentioned. Such people were invisible. It's unlikely an outbreak of flu in China would have made it into the historical record.

Drumpot wrote: »

I also can’t get my head around containment of this virus. If it can be 2 weeks before some people show symptoms it would be virtually impossible to stop the spread. How many people would the average person interact with in 2 weeks? Now add in people going to different countries, how many people would they meet, even just passing in an airport?

If it takes 15 minutes of exposure to get it (heard that somewhere) then what about a person getting public transport to the airport. Then cueing up to check bags in. Then cueing up at security. Then having some food or drink. Then cueing up to get on plane. Then being on plane. Then waiting for bags at other end of destination. Then public transfer. Checking into hotel and then somebody cleaning that room the next day...

How does the virus not be catching on everywhere? It’s been outside China for a month I think at this stage, is it unusual that we still don’t appear to know much about it (including how it spreads)?

As mentioned earlier, there is a “cultural” habit of spitting, especially among the less educated people in China. I took a trip from Ireland to Beijing and Shanghai, incorporating what should have been a lively cruise to Jspan and South Korea. Whilst the big Chinese cities are kept very free from litter and graffiti etc, you do see men spitting. On board the cruise it was horrendous, men spitting all over the food and quite frankly some deplorable behaviour.

Our Chinese guides quietly explained that there is a huge problem about very low education levels in a cohort. Whilst they work very hard physically, they received minimal schooling. I was born in 1961 and when a child I used to see lots and lots of men in Dublin spitting. Of course you still see this among the “scobes”, but much less. In 1980 I was travelling to Orkney islands and I remember on board the Very old bus to the port was a sign “no spitting”, but the habit in men in Ireland and UK was starting to be behind us.

However I noticed young Chinese people were generally much better educated. One of our guides, in spite of never having been to Ireland, had learned Irish, and Welsh, and had a fascination for Celtic culture. Indeed he was due to commence studies later that year in Bangor University, Wales. He would explain things happening around us in Beijing in terms of Irish culture, eg “you see that Garda car there, those Gardaí are stopping the Culchies from coming into the city centre as they are only allowed to come in Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays... to relieve traffic congestion”.

Health and safety culture would vary. Three of our fellow travellers had brought cigarette lighters in the checked-in luggage from Dublin-Heathrow-Beijing. When we were about to depart in a flight Beijing-Shanghai the three were called up to security to open the suitcases and remove the lighters and given a warning how dangerous it was to have them in the flight. On board the aircraft we were then treated to a pre-flight video of a fire smoking up an aircraft cabin and passengers bending down and putting scarf etc around face to escape and survive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

cnocbui wrote: »
    If, say, a Chinese person delivering food supplies, or working as an assistant in the kitchen had gotten sick and died, it would never have been recorded or mentioned. Such people were invisible. It's unlikely an outbreak of flu in China would have made it into the historical record.

A flu with a mortality rate of 30-40% in China in 1918 would have been recorded as it made its way from china to Europe and the states. The trail of destruction that virus and its mortality rate was shocking.

And if the person was a cook? How many more would they have infected? Disaster. Just as happened in the states.

Makes no sense that a virus that was so virulent and such a high mortality rate could march accross a continent to another without anyone noticing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

There was a Channel 4 interview with a British couple in the cruise ship in Japan posted here. They mentioned they were keeping in touch via Facebook with other British couples and an Irish couple they met on the ship. Has it been confirmed there is an Irish couple on the ship? I really feel for anyone on that cruise.

A flu with a mortality rate of 30-40% in China in 1918 would have been recorded as it made its way from china to Europe and the states. The trail of destruction that virus and its mortality rate was shocking.

And if the person was a cook? How many more would they have infected? Disaster. Just as happened in the states.

Makes no sense that a virus that was so virulent and such a high mortality rate could march accross a continent to another without anyone noticing..

It's more a hypothesis by a Canadian war researcher. Workers from China had been sent to the US during the war and were infected with something.
    I dont know much more about it, maybe it went nowhere as an idea

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

imfml wrote: »
    There was a Channel 4 interview with a British couple in the cruise ship in Japan posted here. They mentioned they were keeping in touch via Facebook with other British couples and an Irish couple they met on the ship. Has it been confirmed there is an Irish couple on the ship? I really feel for anyone on that cruise.

Haven't heard anything about Irish people on that ship.

Of the 9 cases they had in the UK 7 have now been discharged from hospital and the other 2 aren't in a serious condition so it seems they are dealing with it pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

imfml wrote: »

Perhaps from NI so maybe just added to the total of UK citizens on board?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The latest corona virus was covered briefly but accurately on Radio 1 (Weekend on One) by the Professor of Biochemistry in the School of Biochemistry and Immunology at TCD (Luke O'Neill).

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11154525

1:49

To summarise, the expert said there is a very low risk of people in Ireland dying from it and there will be a vaccine by Autumn. He said there is a lot of scaremongering going on.

He kept stressing that social media is making things worse by scaring people unnecessarily. Even the WHO are calling it an 'infodemic' where lots of false information is being spread on the media and social media.

The latest corona virus was covered briefly but accurately on Radio 1 (Weekend on One) by the Professor of Biochemistry in the School of Biochemistry and Immunology at TCD (Luke O'Neill).

To summarise, the expert said there is a very low risk of people in Ireland dying from it and there will be a vaccine by Autumn. He said there is a lot of scaremongering going on.

He kept stressing that social media is making things worse by scaring people unnecessarily. Even the WHO are calling it an 'infodemic' where lots of false information is being spread on the media and social media.

They would wouldn't they :-)

Still caution is warranted until more is known. I.ve started over buying, plan is too have a months supply of long life food over the next month. I'd be more worried by having to deal with panicky people down the line than the actual virus

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    They would wouldn't they :-)

Still caution is warranted until more is known. I.ve started over buying, plan is too have a months supply of long life food over the next month. I'd be more worried by having to deal with panicky people down the line than the actual virus

We aren't going to know much more than we know now. In 4 to 6 weeks the number of cases will have dropped massively and it will have moved out of the new cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We aren't going to know much more than we know now. In 4 to 6 weeks the number of cases will have dropped massively and it will have moved out of the new cycle.

Yeah first US case got tested back on January 19th nearly a month ago now and there has only been 14 cases since and the US is a far more urbanised society than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

That would be very risky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Evacuation of the US citizens from the Diamond Princess has begun. https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0216/1115586-corona-virus-toll-update/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The latest corona virus was covered briefly but accurately on Radio 1 (Weekend on One) by the Professor of Biochemistry in the School of Biochemistry and Immunology at TCD (Luke O'Neill)....To summarise, the expert said there is a very low risk of people in Ireland dying from it and there will be a vaccine by Autumn. He said there is a lot of scaremongering going on.

And again it's not about the risk of people dying (which is relatively low even in China) . It's more to do with a very real risk of a large number of infected people overwhelming existing medical services and resources.

And its great that he believes a vaccine will be available by the Autumn - however that wont help deal with any possible further outbreak either inside or outside China in the meantime.

The timeline to a critical number of infected people (many who may be asymptomatic or just have mild systems and therefore remain undetected) means that - much like Wuhan - the rest of the world is looking at a 6 to 8 week delay until we are likley to see any significant outbreak outside China.

But yeah theres always a risk of false news. Though most people have enough sense to know the difference I would hope.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement