Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yurt! wrote: »
    I doubt you'd feel that way if you had a loved one on board.

Japan has the capacity to quarantine these people properly, they're just being very Japanese about it. If you think British people are subject to island mentality, you should pick the brains of the average Japanese lad in his 40s.

'A boat full of filthy diseased foreigners? Send it back!'

I have a good friend who is a long-term resident in Japan, he says he's very much enjoying seeing Japanese people gritting their teeth and being extra fake nice to the gaijin around for both the Rugby World Cup and the Olympics.

Well obviously he would feel different if his loved one was on the boat. Would you say Ireland should quarantine a boat in its waters that had hundreds of French or British or Spanish people on it? Are a lot of the passengers even Japanese? Maybe the Japanese government shouldnt have to quaratine 4000 people just because the cruise happens to be located near there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have a good friend who is a long-term resident in Japan, he says he's very much enjoying seeing Japanese people gritting their teeth and being extra fake nice to the gaijin around for both the Rugby World Cup and the Olympics.

If the Japanese are fake nice then they are all in on the joke. I was in Japan for World Cup 2002 and pretty much every person I met was extremely friendly and helpful.

Taxi drivers, bar staff (making me mashed potatoe), random people helping you find your way if you were a bit lost, manager of a McDonald’s walking us half the way to a destination , person in a bar coming home from work paying for our drinks just because we are guests in his country (didn’t even speak with him, he was at the bar when we ordered). There are other stories but if all that’s fake, it’s very impressive level of comitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do they have an island spare with the correct facilities? DO they have a military base spare with the correct facilities?

You make it happen. You would likely have to move whoever's currently there to somewhere else, but you just do what's necessary. It's not hard. Lots of islands down near Nagasaki, many with connecting bridges. I would bet that as with many countries, they would have a military base on an island that is a complete no-go area for the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can see the point of keeping them on the boat. I think a lot of Irish people would feel the same if they were docked off the coast of Ireland. Its not very nice for the people onboard but I think you have to think of the greater good. The countries involved should be flying them home and having them in quartine there. I am not sure if it is up the Japanese. Is it a Japanese ship?

Its all very well saying oh what if you have relatives aboard. But you have to work to prevent this.

They are in the same accomodation they were in while on their cruise so their accomodation should not be an issue. They are allowed out on deck for a period each day to get fresh air. they have meals delivered to them. They are taken to hospital if they get sick. The exact same conditions seem to be in effect for the people of Wuhan except they are not getting their meals delivered to them.

Yes, meals contaminated with the virus. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Drumpot wrote: »
    If the Japanese are fake nice then they are all in on the joke. I was in Japan for World Cup 2002 and pretty much every person I met was extremely friendly and helpful.

Taxi drivers, bar staff (making me mashed potatoe), random people helping you find your way if you were a bit lost, manager of a McDonald’s walking us half the way to a destination , person in a bar coming home from work paying for our drinks just because we are guests in his country (didn’t even speak with him, he was at the bar when we ordered). There are other stories but if all that’s fake, it’s very impressive level of comitement.

Kinda reminds of this story ...
    The Stranger ...

A tourist came upon an old man hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the old man, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
    "What sort of people live in hereabouts'' asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the old man answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old man. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort here'

Disappointed, the tourist trudged on his way, and the old man returned to his work.

Some time later another tourist, coming from the opposite direction, hailed the old man, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in this country" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the old man once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Welcome," said the old man. "Indeed You'll find the same sort here too'

Every place on the planet has its share of ar*eholes. The majority of people are decent I find ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Coronavirus: Heathrow hotel closed to public and guests removed after health officials designate it as quarantine centre for infected

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-heathrow-hotel-airport-outbreak-quarantine-evacuation-flight-uk-a9339201.html?utm_source=reddit.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, meals contaminated with the virus. :rolleyes:

and you know that how?

I can see the point of keeping them on the boat. I think a lot of Irish people would feel the same if they were docked off the coast of Ireland. Its not very nice for the people onboard but I think you have to think of the greater good. The countries involved should be flying them home and having them in quartine there. I am not sure if it is up the Japanese. Is it a Japanese ship?

Its all very well saying oh what if you have relatives aboard. But you have to work to prevent this.

The US has finally gotten sick of Japan's idiocy and is flying their citizens back to the US. That week minded POS fool Australia saddled itself with as a PM, has finally got a thought process finished in his tiny little mind, so Australia is going to evacuate it's 200. They will put them on Christmas Island where the lot went, who have now finished their quarantine stint and are returning to the mainland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol - If you mean did I sit up in the middle of the night waiting for you to reply? The answer is no.

But yes the figures have been massively under reported. Only in recent days has China added previously unaccounted deaths etc to the published totals. But hey I'd suggest believe what you want. We will probably never know the true figures there.

So deflecting and offering no proof

and you know that how?

I could explain, but it's beyond you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f57e12/singapore_has_near_perfect_detection/
    Singapore is believed to have 'near perfect' rates of detection of infected people, and even then it is believed that there are 1.8 undetected cases for every detected case in Singapore. So , best case scenario there is still 135 other infected people in singapore walking around with coronavirus ,unknown to anyone

I could explain, but it's beyond you.

I generally find people talking out of their arse to be quite difficult to understand so you are quite correct.

RTÉ reporting that Irish citizens on board the Diamond Princess.
    The Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed there are Irish citizens on board a cruise ship in Japan where 454 cases of coronavirus have been diagnosed.

Asked whether there were any plans to evacuate them, a spokesperson said the department is "examining its options."

The US has finally gotten sick of Japan's idiocy and is flying their citizens back to the US. That week minded POS fool Australia saddled itself with as a PM, has finally got a thought process finished in his tiny little mind, so Australia is going to evacuate it's 200. They will put them on Christmas Island where the lot went, who have now finished their quarantine stint and are returning to the mainland.

I don't think its idiocy. I would say that is exactly what Japan wants. They don't want to have to deal with 4000 foreigners in quarantine. I can see their point. Its very selfish but I don't know how idiotic from their point of view.

• Advertisement

RTÉ reporting that Irish citizens on board the Diamond Princess.

Examining will Britain or France take them when they are getting their citizens I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fritzelly wrote: »
    So deflecting and offering no proof

Lol. You disagreed with the other posters comment and not me. And you provided no 'proof' in that comment to show that the statistician quoted was wrong. So I'd suggest you up your game there or find a new line of feigning outrage which actually stands up to some scrutiny.

My question was - are "you're saying the Chinese figures are correct?". You haven't answered that btw.

I don't think its idiocy. I would say that is exactly what Japan wants. They don't want to have to deal with 4000 foreigners in quarantine. I can see their point. Its very selfish but I don't know how idiotic from their point of view.

If you knew that members of the crew had the virus and the numbers of crew infected continued to rise, would you sit back and let the crew continue to prepare meals for themselves and the passengers or would you stop that and provide the meals from shore, prepared by people who don't have the virus?

If you knew that members of the crew had the virus and the numbers of crew infected continued to rise, would you sit back and let the crew continue to prepare meals for themselves and the passengers or would you stop that and provide the meals from shore, prepared by people who don't have the virus?

I would provide meals from shore. That is crazy. I agree with you there.

I actually think the best thing would be take them off in small groups so you can test and quarantine and send home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I'd say that says more about your friend tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Examining will Britain or France take them when they are getting their citizens I would say.

They should not be brought back to Ireland for at least 2 weeks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f559ll/a_24yearold_who_travelled_from_wuhan_to_guangzhou/
    A 24 year old patient in China developed symptoms one day after being quaratined for 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A lot of really nonsensical remarks about the Japanese government on here. You have to ask yourself, what is the purpose of the Japanese government (or any government, for that matter). Clearly, it is to govern and, by-extension, make decisions on behalf-of (and for) its people. I believe the Japanese government made the decision not to treat the passengers on the ship, in the best interests of its own people - and who are we to criticise that decision. To be honest, if I was Japanese I would be glad they did so, looking after their own people first. I know it is a questionable decision, both morally and ethically, but you have to consider the greater good at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Be grand lads, come over and get your dose early, be better in the long run.

At least if you get it now and you develop acute illness, you can get treatment before the healthcare system is completely overwhelmed...think about it, head over , share around a few water bottles, head back and recover.

4 more cases in Japan. one with no links to existing infected

2 new in Singapore, incl a one year old child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Be grand lads, come over and get your dose early, be better in the long run.

At least if you get it now and you develop acute illness, you can get treatment before the healthcare system is completely overwhelmed...think about it, head over , share around a few water bottles, head back and recover.

I would but I'm busy this weekend with my kids' chicken pox party.

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. You disagreed with the other posters comment and not me. And you provided no 'proof' in that comment to show that the statistician quoted was wrong. So I'd suggest you up your game there or find a new line of feigning outrage which actually stands up to some scrutiny.

My question was - are "you're saying the Chinese figures are correct?". You haven't answered that btw.

Sorry, your right wrong poster, but you replied to my challenge
    I don't believe the official figures tell the whole story

Sorry, your right wrong poster, but you replied to my challenge
    I don't believe the official figures tell the whole story

Unless i am very much mistaken that was entirely the point of the post you disagreed with. If you model the official figures they are far too perfect to be true. that was the point.

Tokyo marathon has been cancelled pretty big deal now considering it was a chance for competitors to qualify for the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Tokyo marathon has been cancelled pretty big deal now considering it was a chance for competitors to qualify for the Olympics.

cant see the Olympics going ahead unless by some great bit of luck the virus goes away.

• Advertisement

Unless i am very much mistaken that was entirely the point of the post you disagreed with. If you model the official figures they are far too perfect to be true. that was the point.

But they are not accurate unless you think 20% variance

But they are not accurate unless you think 20% variance

20% variance from what? the figures or the models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

MD1990 wrote: »
    cant see the Olympics going ahead unless by some great bit of luck the virus goes away.

Finally, Cork's big chance to shine! Get the diggers out lads, we've got an Olympic stadium to build! By Christ, we might actually get two events centres out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

It hasn't been, it's been cancelled for the general public. Elite runners will still be running.

20% variance from what? the figures or the models?

The figures they are predicting

The figures they are predicting

the model mentioned in the article was 99% accurate. there is no way a model can be that accurate ergo the official figures it is based on are nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It hasn't been, it's been cancelled for the general public. Elite runners will still be running.

If you read more than the headlines you're not welcome here! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Read the full article and please post sources.

Picked it up wrong on news, still though it been reduced to 176 runners from 38000 is massive

• Advertisement

Read the full article and please post sources.

Seen it on news in Japan where they spoke to a participant who said he just found out it was cancelled there was no article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Finally, Cork's big chance to shine! Get the diggers out lads, we've got an Olympic stadium to build! By Christ, we might actually get two events centres out of this.

Your former mayor said your city is infected.

"Worse than Wuhan" he said...

War time conditions must be imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Your former mayor said your city is infected.

"Worse than Wuhan" he said...

War time conditions must be imposed.

Any follow up on that? Anyone hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Considering this is very similar in make up to the original SARS pathogen, I wonder if it will just die off in the peak temp month of July.

It hates humidity and warmth, so maybe it'll just disappear like original SARS did??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Considering this is very similar in make up to the original SARS pathogen, I wonder if it will just die off in the peak temp month of July.

It hates humidity and warmth, so maybe it'll just disappear like original SARS did??

The warmer weather should definitely help. Id be greatly worried about the Cruise ship developments however. It might be time to start looking into the most effective treatment for this, who is most vulnerable. How behavior can limit the spread. Containing the virus seems to be extremely difficult. Governments might not be totally transparent in a month or so to protect their economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Keeping people on the cruise ship was a big mistake. You don't put 1000's on people into quarantine with an infected person. You remove them asap to self quarantine. All they did was infect 100's more, and now it's a case of move them before they all are infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,718 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Keeping people on the cruise ship was a big mistake. You don't put 1000's on people into quarantine with an infected person. You remove them asap to self quarantine. All they did was infect 100's more, and now it's a case of move them before they all are infected.

Mad scientist stuff for sure.

Probably a lot of patients who have normal flu etc catching it in Chinese hospitals too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So it's going from 38,000 people to 206. Not quite cancelled but basically cancelled if 99.19% of participants aren't running.

Sensible move to be honest, but yeah if getting that many people together isn't a good idea for the marathon it won't be a good idea for the Olympics. An estimated 10 million visitors are expected to travel to Tokyo for the Olympics. If this thing is still going, the Olympics won't be going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

wadacrack wrote: »
    The warmer weather should definitely help.

Singapore is year round 30 degree celsius and rel humidity of 70-80%, but the virus is spreading in the community!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Nijmegen wrote: »
    So it's going from 38,000 people to 206. Not quite cancelled but basically cancelled if 99.19% of participants aren't running.

Sensible move to be honest, but yeah if getting that many people together isn't a good idea for the marathon it won't be a good idea for the Olympics. An estimated 10 million visitors are expected to travel to Tokyo for the Olympics. If this thing is still going, the Olympics won't be going ahead.

So it's not cancelled but basically it's cancelled. Step away from the keyboard.

So it's not cancelled but basically it's cancelled. Step away from the keyboard.

Would suit you to step away

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement