Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A lot of really nonsensical remarks about the Japanese government on here. You have to ask yourself, what is the purpose of the Japanese government (or any government, for that matter). Clearly, it is to govern and, by-extension, make decisions on behalf-of (and for) its people. I believe the Japanese government made the decision not to treat the passengers on the ship, in the best interests of its own people - and who are we to criticise that decision. To be honest, if I was Japanese I would be glad they did so, looking after their own people first. I know it is a questionable decision, both morally and ethically, but you have to consider the greater good at times.

When those on the ship get sick, they are brought off and end up in hospital, putting a strain on resources. You think you have protected Japan or served it's interests by making it 450 in hospital rather than 10? How about 3,000 needing hospitalisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

dublin99 wrote: »
    Singapore is year round 30 degree celsius and rel humidity of 70-80%, but the virus is spreading in the community!

Viruses don't last as long on surfaces in warmer weather. Its probably limiting it to some extent in Singapore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Any follow up on that? Anyone hear anything?

Yes Cork is going to be sealed off from Wednesday any of you seen on the streets without a full hazmat suit will be shot on sight.

The Government will be telling us not to panic as it is only Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So it's not cancelled but basically it's cancelled. Step away from the keyboard.

It's a turn of phrase... Marathons are typically massive events with tens of thousands of runners and spectators. The public aspect of it is as much if not a bigger part of the significance of a marathon as the elite athletes who run and complete with standings then qualifying for other events.

This will be a closed door exercise with 300 people running, less than 1% of the total planned. The public event is certainly cancelled and if the virus isn't under control then at best you will have an Olympics that is closed door, camera crews plus competitors. Even then, given the number of competitors (there was over 11,000 at Rio) at an Olympics and their support staff kept together in athletes villages you could see it being totally cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

wadacrack wrote: »
    Viruses don't last as long on surfaces in warmer weather. Its probably limiting it to some extent in Singapore

On average....this family of viruses can survive between four and five days

https://www.sciencealert.com/study-shows-just-how-long-coronaviruses-can-stick-around-on-a-surface

https://www.sciencealert.com/study-shows-just-how-long-coronaviruses-can-stick-around-on-a-surface

It s highly likely that it lasts longer than that in colder conditions as with other viruses. Its one the reason SARS which is genetically very similar slowed down in the summer months. This has been stated by a few experts on it.

"Low temperature and high air humidity further increase their lifespan," says physician Günter Kampf at the Greifswald University Hospital.

From your article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Amazing healthcare in Singapore, just 4 patients in critical condition now, 9 just two days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

I can see a run on human size fridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

All these articles about Singapore's economy and tourism taking a huge hit yet the euro isnt gaining anything against the SGD..I would have thought differently. I guess my econonics knowledge is way off lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,357 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MarkY91 wrote: »
    All these articles about Singapore's economy and tourism taking a huge hit yet the euro isnt gaining anything against the SGD..I would have thought differently. I guess my econonics knowledge is way off lol

It's dropping against the US Dollar, strange if it hasn't also declined versus Euro...
    https://www.cmcmarkets.com/en-ie/news-and-analysis/singapore-cuts-2020-growth-forecast-japan-gdp-slumps

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1229429360957902849?s=20

Interesting live feed of WHO answering questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Was it confirmed the other day that its airborne? I saw a clip of the WHO head comparing it to ebola, basically saying ebola is not comparable to it and he mentioned it being airborne. Anyone else see that?

Be grand lads, come over and get your dose early, be better in the long run.

At least if you get it now and you develop acute illness, you can get treatment before the healthcare system is completely overwhelmed...think about it, head over , share around a few water bottles, head back and recover.

I had been harbouring secret thoughts of wanting to get this dose over and done with, but so far I’m reading that you don’t benefit by immunity from a recurrence of exact same virus, and indeed like the case in Dengue a Fever, the second dose kills you :(:(:(

Was it confirmed the other day that its airborne? I saw a clip of the WHO head comparing it to ebola, basically saying ebola is not comparable to it and he mentioned it being airborne. Anyone else see that?

I keep seeing from WHO and other sources it is indeed airborne, merely breathing in the exhaled air (not necessarily coughed or sneezed etc) of someone with the virus can do it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I keep seeing from WHO and other sources it is indeed airborne, merely breathing in the exhaled air (not necessarily coughed or sneezed etc) of someone with the virus can do it. :(

And I keep seeing that the WHO say that it's possible but no evidence yet.

If you have some recent developments on this can you post links as it would be a major development.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Amazing healthcare in Singapore, just 4 patients in critical condition now, 9 just two days ago.

I remember when seeking advice about getting medical care should I take sick in Vietnam & Cambodia the advice was to get myself to either Bangkok or Singapore ASAP. I used to have ulcerative colitis, and heard of excellent treatment available for it in either place, once you have insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NZ is the latest to say they will rescue their citizens from the plague ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No good news yet on this except that there are no 'confirmed' cases here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thread's gone quiet does this mean the virus in disappearing, hopefully a good sign.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Thread's gone quiet does this mean the virus in disappearing, hopefully a good sign.

They’re all in quarantine and access to boards has been blocked.

:D

But seriously, if I get it I’m telling you lot first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

saabsaab wrote: »
    No good news yet on this except that there are no 'confirmed' cases here yet.

And it doesn't appear to be spreading wildly in most countries with confirmed cases. For example it's been weeks now since the first confirmed cases in the US and canada and aside from spouses , no other infection chains have been observed, that we know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    And it doesn't appear to be spreading wildly in most countries with confirmed cases. For example it's been weeks now since the first confirmed cases in the US and canada and aside from spouses , no other infection chains have been confirmed.

They are doing a good job at keeping the spread under control, lets hope the level of control stays high until the emergency is over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

I don't have a link to back it up at the moment, but I read today in the morning somewhere that new infections in province Hubei are falling for the last 3 days... also dr. john didn't do a video today, so kind of good news also as nothing new to explain probably...?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,718 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd still be sceptical of Chinese reporting, easy to picture smaller outlying regions not wanting to report cases.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

tara73 wrote: »
    I don't have a link to back it up at the moment, but I read today in the morning somewhere that new infections in province Hubei are falling for the last 3 days... also dr. john didn't do a video today, so kind of good news also as nothing new to explain probably...?:)
    Yes that's mentioned in The Guardian. They still think kids are hit less hard by it and that the severity of the critical form is related to age.

80% have a mild disease
    14% have severe disease including pneumonia
    5% have critical disease including respiratory failure
    2% die

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/17/coronavirus-causes-mild-disease-in-four-in-five-patients-says-who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Yesterday there have been "only" 2000 new reported cases, the trend is slowing down
    But most importantly the spread outside China has been prevented with several countries now going back to 0 infected, that's a very good sign

It looks well contained everywhere in the world except some countries around China, such as Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and a few others where cases with no known links to existing infected people continue to pop up , and would suggest it is more widespread than has been detected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It looks well contained everywhere in the world except some countries around China, such as Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and a few others where cases with no known links to existing infected people continue to pop up , and would suggest it is more widespread than has been detected

Give it a couple of weeks. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't take off in India and we get more than a few cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Give it a couple of weeks. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't take off in India and we get more than a few cases

Or Africa for that matter.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

There's Indians all over Singapore and Bangkok. I'm shocked it hasn't reached India yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

India reported the first confirmed case of the coronavirus infection on 30 January 2020 in the state of Kerala. The affected had a travel history from Wuhan, China
    https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/coronavirus-affected-countries-india-measures-impact-pharma-economy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

tillyfilly wrote: »
    India reported the first confirmed case of the coronavirus infection on 30 January 2020 in the state of Kerala. The affected had a travel history from Wuhan, China
    https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/coronavirus-affected-countries-india-measures-impact-pharma-economy/

Yeah. 2 weeks ago now. I find it hard to believe there's nobody else in the entire country not infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Or Africa for that matter.

Getting very hot in Africa and India over the next few weeks viruses don’t like that. That’s why these events always kick off around Christmas and fade away by summer as it gets warmer. It was the same with SARS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yes that's mentioned in The Guardian. They still think kids are hit less hard by it and that the severity of the critical form is related to age.

80% have a mild disease
    14% have severe disease including pneumonia
    5% have critical disease including respiratory failure
    2% die

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/17/coronavirus-causes-mild-disease-in-four-in-five-patients-says-who

Nice number crunching by The Guardian...101%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Speak Now wrote: »

They're quoting the figures by the WHO

Speak Now wrote: »

Rounding four values to the nearest whole number would mean it could add up to anything from 98% to 102% and still be accurate, just imprecise.

I took the 2% who die to be a subset of the 5% who experience critical illness in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Expect a large increase today in the number of infected:
    From today, WHO will be reporting all confirmed cases, including both laboratory-confirmed as previously reported, and those reported as clinically diagnosed (currently only applicable to Hubei province, China). From 13 February through 16 February, we reported only laboratory confirmed cases for Hubei province as mentioned in the situation report published on 13 February. The change in reporting is now shown in the figures. This accounts for the apparent large increase in cases compared to prior situation repor

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200217-sitrep-28-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a19cf2ad_2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Well I for one fully expect tomorrow's Daily Mail to go to great lengths to convey this nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Blud wrote: »
    Well I for one fully expect tomorrow's Daily Mail to go to great lengths to convey this nuance.

It drops the fatality number in closed cases to
    13% ... it has dropped exactly 1% per day since the WHO have boots on the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Certain posters on here who previously lauded the Chinese and WHO cooperation might want to rethink their stances, the chinese governments own propaganda wing has admitted the WHO team wont be going to Hubei

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1179882.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    It drops the fatality number in closed cases to
    13% ... it has dropped exactly 1% per day since the WHO have boots on the ground...

That was always going to happen as there is about a 2 weeks lag on recovery time compared to fatality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

tuxy wrote: »
    That was always going to happen as there is about a 2 weeks lag on recovery time compared to fatality.

And the number of infections doubling every 7 days...
    Until WHO arrived as well.
    Fabulous news!

The age demographics of those killed in China have finally been released.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f5h8j0/fatality_rate_of_covid19_in_different_age_groups/
    Very low death rate in those under 40. A whopping 50%+ in those over 70 though, and 30% in those aged 60-69, also quite surprisingly over 10% of those in their 50's hospitalised with the virus died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

9117 are seriously ill and 1853 are critically ill

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1229539908487958528

Increases don’t appear to be in sync with what the WHO had warned about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f5h8j0/fatality_rate_of_covid19_in_different_age_groups/
    Very low death rate in those under 40. A whopping 50%+ in those over 70 though, and 30% in those aged 60-69, also quite surprisingly over 10% of those in their 50's hospitalised with the virus died
    No deaths in 0-9 category and only one in 10-19. Great news.

No deaths in 0-9 category and only one in 10-19. Great news.

Yes, but would make me worried about my grandparents who are all over 75. If it became pandemic, would be likely I'd lose a family member, or even two

Somewhat worrying for those of us with parents/relatives who are 60+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Yes, but would make me worried about my grandparents who are all over 75. If it became pandemic, would be likely I'd lose a family member, or even two

Based on number of cases outside China, I'm hoping it won't get to pandemic stage.

Although this report is worrying ... alot of healthcare professionals catching this virus. This doc was/is director of the hospital :(

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1229487338780286981

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement