Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Zenify wrote: »
    She came back on a commercial flight (Turkish airlines).wouldn't want to be sitting next to the cruise ship passengers on a commercial flight.

So maybe they can lease an aircraft to bring them home..A ryanair 737 with one stop either way to refuel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

YFlyer wrote: »
    Elite athletes will be racing.

It may aswell been cancelled. To reduce an event from 38'000 to a few hundred is significant especially with the olympics fast approaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Another senior doctor has died in Wuhan, reports of stricter protocols for residents locally.

I just wonder how long they can keep a city of that size under lock down before there is major civil unrest.

How are cases still increasing if such strict rules are being enforced? Is it because of the delay between the initial outbreak and the restrictions?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/feb/18/senior-wuhan-doctor-dies-from-coronavirus-as-authorities-start-to-round-up-patients

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

volchitsa wrote: »
    Or he has something else. He's 85 after all.

Edit: By the way, is he the guy who said he was a staunch Tory voter and had supported Boris J but had no faith in him to deal with this crisis? If so, that reduces my sympathy for him, as he seemed to be saying that when he voted for them he knew they were useless but didn't think then that he himself would find himself vulnerable to their recklessness/incompetence so he didn't mind tol much. I'd say Karma to that.

They are American, so no.
    I have deepest sympathy for ANYONE who gets this horrible virus.

Bit coincidental his wife has the virus, and he has similar symptoms but tests negative, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI-iFiV1jns

so this couple is now tested positive too?? That's shocking, great couple, their youtube videos were always very interesting and informative and also entertaining.

and he also talked about the couple they befriended on the ship being tested positive, than brought to hospital and twice tested negative there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Edit: By the way, is he the guy who said he was a staunch Tory voter and had supported Boris J but had no faith in him to deal with this crisis? If so, that reduces my sympathy for him, as he seemed to be saying that when he voted for them he knew they were useless but didn't think then that he himself would find himself vulnerable to their recklessness/incompetence so he didn't mind tol much. I'd say Karma to that.

Jeez christ. They are an elderly couple stuck on a boat where the virus is now rampant - and you reckon smack it to them because of some expressed political opinion? Glad I dont live in your universe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

tara73 wrote: »

so this couple is now tested positive too?? That's shocking, great couple, their youtube videos were always very interesting and informative and also entertaining.

have to quote myself here... if it is like that David Abel said, they want to silence him and have not put him in a hospital but in a hostel with no access to wifi, that's more shocking than having the virus..why or who wants to silence him?? he didn't do anything wrong, never spoke bad of the cruise ship, the opposite, he was informing the world very objectively about everything. Stuff of nightmares for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It may aswell been cancelled. To reduce an event from 38'000 to a few hundred is significant especially with the olympics fast approaching.

It may happen but with no crowd. I can see something similar happening with premier league if it takes hold in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Does anybody know who is responsible for Ireland crisis management?

I found http://emii.ie/emii-committee-members/ but I’m not sure if it is our main crisis management community.

I wouldn’t mind going to some of the meetings (if there are any) to see what are the protocols and thinking behind how they manage these situations. Poor communication seems to be a serious deficiency (as Highlighted in https://www.ghsindex.org/country/ireland/ ) and all we got was a copy and paste (NHS) website from the HSE.

I’d love to understand the thought process behind this. I haven’t gotten any answers here as you got people just telling people to stop panicking. I didn’t read to many posts panicking, but there does seem to be an issue with people wanting to be educated on it being considered as troublesome.

Some day there will be a crisis in this country. I don’t mean a day or two of ice that caused the great Brennan’s bread crisis, I mean something serious. I suppose if I’m somebody that likes to understand it, I just want to see if there is a forum or open meeting I can attend to get more educated on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not far off 100 more people on the ship infected. 542 total, more than one in 8 passengers now confirmed positive

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not far off 100 more people on the ship infected. 542 total, more than one in 8 passengers now confirmed positive

It really is morally wrong to keep them on it with such a spread occurring.

pc7 wrote: »

I believe they are going to all be evacuated now and tested on mainland quarantine zones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

pc7 wrote: »

The fear is that the one's that seem not to have it, might already be infected. Maybe they are all infected at this stage.

The fear is that the one's that seem not to have it, might already be infected. Maybe they are all infected at this stage.

Yeh, a huge number of the confirmed have no symptoms. I wonder does that mean they just havnt developed yet or if they are some of the people that simply do not ever experience symptoms with this virus? Crazy that it seems to be really deadly for some of the population and then some people dont even know they have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Very elderly man contracts deadly virus but is not entitled to sympathy because he is of the “wrong”political persuasion. Mmmmm...what does that remind me of?!? Behold, the now very famous tolerance and compassion of the left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah but cruise ships seem to be less than ideal environments for whatever reason. Better to quarantine them in conditions where they are less likely to catch it.

https://time.com/5785594/china-airlines-coronavirus/?utm_source=reddit.com
    China's aviation capacity drops by 80%, was second largest in the world, now smaller than Portugal's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yeah but cruise ships seem to be less than ideal environments for whatever reason. Better to quarantine them in conditions where they are less likely to catch it.

I'd agree it's less than ideal for them, but in terms of bringing a load of potentially contagious people in contact with everyone else it is ideal for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Drumpot wrote: »

I found http://emii.ie/emii-committee-members/ but I’m not sure if it is our main crisis management community.

I wouldn’t mind going to some of the meetings (if there are any) to see what are the protocols and thinking behind how they manage these situations. Poor communication seems to be a serious deficiency (as Highlighted in https://www.ghsindex.org/country/ireland/ ) and all we got was a copy and paste (NHS) website from the HSE.

I’d love to understand the thought process behind this. I haven’t gotten any answers here as you got people just telling people to stop panicking. I didn’t read to many posts panicking, but there does seem to be an issue with people wanting to be educated on it being considered as troublesome.

Some day there will be a crisis in this country. I don’t mean a day or two of ice that caused the great Brennan’s bread crisis, I mean something serious. I suppose if I’m somebody that likes to understand it, I just want to see if there is a forum or open meeting I can attend to get more educated on it.

As I have said before it is largely up to each of us to deal with any situation that may arise. It is never any use relying on " authority" . Analyse the likely effects of any situation to your own life and make provision,
    This is what we learned in the last War by the way. And it served us well.

No use panicking about panicking!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Some people here weren't erring on the side of caution. I have no issue with that. We should of course be cautious. They were presenting clueless nonsense as fact and portraying themselves as exerts, quoting youtube videos and opinion pieces with absolute certainty as to their veracity. Those youtubers have made a pretty penny feeding on it.

This thread could be a superb thesis on the perils of social media for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think it is led by the Housing and planning Minister oddly enough. Thank goodness Eoghan Murphy has his sleeves pre-rolled up in anticipation of any disaster.

There's also a space, in Kildare Street I believe, called the National Emergency Co-ordination Centre, where Eoghan Murphy puts on an Air Corps bomber jacket and gets to pretend like he's the President from that movie Independence Day.

https://www.emergencyplanning.ie/en

And the ‘experts’ who police it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Graces7 wrote: »
    As I have said before it is largely up to each of us to deal with any situation that may arise. It is never any use relying on " authority" . Analyse the likely effects of any situation to your own life and make provision,

I agree, we are all responsible for our own on this. You can set up your own provisions and have your own plans in place but part of that that would help is knowing how the authorities will respond.

I will give you an example. My estate has flooded several times (not recently since a solution appears to of been finally supplied). Around the time it flooded a couple of times there was absolutely no real coordination and nobody "responsible" for communicating or leading the challenge to try and help secure the estate. We are a small estate so it wouldnt of taken too much resources to get some sort of order.

Firemen come and try to pump out the water. Council come and sit in diggers with nobody there to tell them what to do. Sand Bags dumped in an area and nobody told what should be done. I basically went out and started sandbagging random houses and seeing if neighbors would check on elderly.

I dont resent having to do this, I resent living in a society that places little resources into educating and encouraging people to prepare for different events. We also appear to take a "wait and see" (it will be grand) instead of a proactive approach with simple plans that everybody can follow. What I find really annoying is planning, preparing and communication are things we can actually address anytime.

My estate flooded several times and each time there was panic and no real authority or organisation to it. Thats just a small estate with a flooding issue. These are manageable things and while I agree its up to us as individuals to have our own crisis management plans, if everybody else (including authorities) doesn't, it can render our own plans relatively useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Chart from an article on the BBC. Not good news for that british couple on the cruise ship

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

Annotation-2020-02-18-113104.jpg

We’ll all be off to join you Graces :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yurt! wrote: »
    I think it is led by the Housing and planning Minister oddly enough. Thank goodness Eoghan Murphy has his sleeves pre-rolled up in anticipation of any disaster.

There's also a space, in Kildare Street I believe, called the National Emergency Co-ordination Centre, where Eoghan Murphy puts on an Air Corps bomber jacket and gets to pretend like he's the President from that movie Independence Day.

Is this what they were rolling out for the "Hurricane" last year, with Leo addressing the wounded nation flanked by a Garda and Soldier?

https://www.scmp.com/tech/science-research/article/3049858/race-diagnose-treat-coronavirus-patients-constrained-shortage

The accuracy rate of the test is only 30 to 50 per cent, said Wang Chen, president of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, during a CCTV interview on Wednesday.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    https://www.scmp.com/tech/science-research/article/3049858/race-diagnose-treat-coronavirus-patients-constrained-shortage

The accuracy rate of the test is only 30 to 50 per cent, said Wang Chen, president of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, during a CCTV interview on Wednesday.

Due to the nature of the test there are a lot of false negatives. The test measures viral count but in the early stages the viral count is too low to register. Hence we hear of a lot of people who test negative who subsequently test positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Due to the nature of the test there are a lot of false negatives. The test measures viral count but in the early stages the viral count is too low to register. Hence we hear of a lot of people who test negative who subsequently test positive.

Surely this should mean anyone coming from known areas be in strict quarantine and re-tested sometime later?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Surely this should mean anyone coming from known areas be in strict quarantine and re-tested sometime later?

it certainly does mean that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭volchitsa

splinter65 wrote: »
    Very elderly man contracts deadly virus but is not entitled to sympathy because he is of the “wrong”political persuasion. Mmmmm...what does that remind me of?!? Behold, the now very famous tolerance and compassion of the left.

Except that's not what I said. Not at all.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

My estate flooded several times and each time there was panic and no real authority or organisation to it. Thats just a small estate with a flooding issue. These are manageable things and while I agree its up to us as individuals to have our own crisis management plans, if everybody else (including authorities) doesn't, it can render our own plans relatively useless.

A lot of cultural differences in this. Several European countries have well thought through and widely drilled civil contingencies that involve both the state mobilising resources and citizens taking responsibility also. It tends to be driven by longstanding outside influences - The Dutch in relation to flooding and the Baltic countries in relation to war with Russia for example. (I read a really interesting piece about the latter example, where families have pre-planned contingencies so the people off fighting know what they are doing to stay safe and aren't distracted by the idea of them being in danger. Imagine living under those conditions!)

We just don't face existential threats and are a very individualistic nation full of, as you say, easygoing types. In the US they're paranoid about everything (and in fairness have enough natural disasters let alone manmade to make it worth considering) which is why local, state and federal agencies can mobilise in a big way and you'll regularly find individuals going around with survival kits in their cars. But they probably wouldn't be so quick to help one another out, of course...

I imagine things like climate change and viruses like this might change our approach. Eventually. After quite a few people are killed, of course, and there's an inquiry. Or two.

Yurt! wrote: »

Fairly standard Irish State level of information being provided on emergency planning there and elsewhere tbh - ie bugger all squared

According to the news this morning the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed there are Irish citizens on board a cruise ship in Japan and the cruise ship in Cambodia (I presume among those not cleared for departure)
    Asked whether there were any plans to evacuate them, a spokesperson said the department is "examining its options".

Yeah reckon that's deciding what type of biscuit options there are for the meetings that may be scheduled sometime somewhere ...

If it hits here our hospital and response services will be well and truely fooked and no fault of hard working frontline staff either ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭volchitsa

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    They are American, so no.
    I have deepest sympathy for ANYONE who gets this horrible virus.

Bit coincidental his wife has the virus, and he has similar symptoms but tests negative, no?

Not the same person then, the man I heard was definitely English and had voted for the Tories in the last election. I think he sounded younger too, actually.

But just to be clear, I was not saying "serve him right for voting Tory" (which would be mad, TBF, and is something I never thought anyone would be twisted enough to read into it).

I was saying that the guy didn't say he'd suddenly realized how incompetent the Tories were or anything - he was basically saying that he always knew how reckless they were with the lives of vulnerable people, but he voted for them anyway. Presumably being wealthy enough to go on cruises etc, he had never imagined that it would ever matter to him.

So now when he suddenly finds himself in a vulnerable situation, then he starts saying he has no confidence in Boris or the Tories. Shouldn't he have been able to put himself in other people's shoes a little bit before that?

That said, I still wouldn't wish any harm on him, just pointing out that voting for someone you know is dangerously reckless or incompetent, even if they're a good laugh, is never a good idea.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

The Department of Foreign Affairs managed to lose 2 letters from the UN about an ex-naval service ship that has found itself now fighting in the Libyan civil war for a militia. One wonders if urgent communiques about Irish citizens caught up in the virus outbreak aren't just floating around waiting for someone to do the quarterly check of the mailbox.

I'm looking to the UK foreign office for travel advice. The same as the Irish department of foreign affairs, I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

I agree, we are all responsible for our own on this. You can set up your own provisions and have your own plans in place but part of that that would help is knowing how the authorities will respond.

I will give you an example. My estate has flooded several times (not recently since a solution appears to of been finally supplied). Around the time it flooded a couple of times there was absolutely no real coordination and nobody "responsible" for communicating or leading the challenge to try and help secure the estate. We are a small estate so it wouldnt of taken too much resources to get some sort of order.

Firemen come and try to pump out the water. Council come and sit in diggers with nobody there to tell them what to do. Sand Bags dumped in an area and nobody told what should be done. I basically went out and started sandbagging random houses and seeing if neighbors would check on elderly.

I dont resent having to do this, I resent living in a society that places little resources into educating and encouraging people to prepare for different events. We also appear to take a "wait and see" (it will be grand) instead of a proactive approach with simple plans that everybody can follow. What I find really annoying is planning, preparing and communication are things we can actually address anytime.

Fair play, you already did more than most would have done. People should prepare to self rescue as much as possible. They only realise that fact after they find themselves in a situation where they need help and discover that the emergency services aren't like the Thunderbirds, they don't just materialize out of thin air. But if you are the sort to prepare for the unexpected your branded a crazy prepper here. Personally I'd always expect to only have myself to rely on, my plans always start with what I can do for myself before needing assistance.

Fair play, you already did more than most would have done. People should prepare to self rescue as much as possible. They only realise that fact after they find themselves in a situation where they need help and discover that the emergency services aren't like the Thunderbirds, they don't just materialize out of thin air. But if you are the sort to prepare for the unexpected your branded a crazy prepper here. Personally I'd always expect to only have myself to rely on, my plans always start with what I can do for myself before needing assistance.

In The Big Short, Michael Lewis describes one of the smaller capital firms who made big money on the financial crash as having an investment strategy based on the idea that humans don't like to think about bad things happening, and so inappropriately price the risk. By taking a realistic assessment, they were able to make big bucks off the housing market crash and other bad events.

Worst (best) case scenario you have a lot of batteries and tinned goods around the house you'll use anyway within their use by dates; plus a few odds and ends like a wind up radio that aren't going to bankrupt you.

Best (worst) case scenario you're better off than everyone you know who was scoffing at the idea. Tho maybe don't tell them you're prepping lest they come to raid your stock when they're caught short.

I would say that country people are better at this that City dwellers.

As I have said before it is largely up to each of us to deal with any situation that may arise. It is never any use relying on " authority" . Analyse the likely effects of any situation to your own life and make provision, This is what we learned in the last War by the way. And it served us well. No use panicking about panicking!

To be fair it would be difficult for individuals to set up proper detection and quarantine services for both visitors or groups of people who may be infected.

It would also be fairly difficult for individuals to administer their own intensive care to themselves or access requirements for oxygen or other specislist care should that need arise. .

As to authorities providing stuff - that goes with the territory - with here providing largely free accommodation, general healthcare and a whole range of other services to those who cant afford it or otherwise (yeah thats not perfect either) .

The UK and Ireland during the 'last' war took control of food production and rationing, with strict controls being the norm. (not advocating that btw - just a reply about the above)

Tbh a kick up the arse to the state authorities here regarding some decent contingency planning wouldn't go amiss.

Heres another one

Fail to prepare - prepare to fail ...

• Advertisement

Not the same person then, the man I heard was definitely English and had voted for the Tories in the last election. I think he sounded younger too, actually.

But just to be clear, I was not saying "serve him right for voting Tory" (which would be mad, TBF, and is something I never thought anyone would be twisted enough to read into it).

I was saying that the guy didn't say he'd suddenly realized how incompetent the Tories were or anything - he was basically saying that he always knew how reckless they were with the lives of vulnerable people, but he voted for them anyway. Presumably being wealthy enough to go on cruises etc, he had never imagined that it would ever matter to him.

So now when he suddenly finds himself in a vulnerable situation, then he starts saying he has no confidence in Boris or the Tories. Shouldn't he have been able to put himself in other people's shoes a little bit before that?

That said, I still wouldn't wish any harm on him, just pointing out that voting for someone you know is dangerously reckless or incompetent, even if they're a good laugh, is never a good idea.

Empathy is always a welcome trait in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gozunda wrote: »
    To be fair it would be difficult for individuals to set up proper detection and quarantine services for both visitors or groups of people who may be infected.

It would also be fairly difficult for individuals to administer their own intensive care to themselves or access requirements for oxygen or other specislist care should that need arise. .

As to authorities providing stuff - that goes with the territory - with here providing largely free accommodation, general healthcare and a whole range of other services to those who cant afford it or otherwise (yeah thats not perfect either) .

The UK and Ireland during the 'last' war took control of food production and rationing, with strict controls being the norm. (not advocating that btw - just a reply about the above)

Tbh a kick up the arse to the state authorities here regarding some decent contingency planning wouldn't go amiss tbh.

Heres another one

Fail to prepare - prepare to fail ...

I read the post differently; HSE have assured of precautions etc already. and of course medical care.

You cannot compare this with food rationing in and after the last war.

But there remains a great deal we each and all can do to prepare. Without and before being ordered to and I know many here are doing that. There is abundant info Self reliance goes a long way in any situation and the fail to prepare maxim certainly applies .

8 new cases on mainland Japan in 4 different regions, and 4 more in Singapore , 74 and 81 respectively now

4 more patients aboard Diamon Princess have developed into a serious condition, total 24 of 554 hospitalised with serious condition now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why - who has died or come to harm?

Just saw on RTE that those returning from the affected ships may not have to quarantine! This is mad we are only asking for trouble.

I read the post differently; HSE have assured of precautions etc already. and of course medical care. You cannot compare this with food rationing in and after the last war. But there remains a great deal we each and all can do to prepare. Without and before being ordered to and I know many here are doing that. There is abundant info Self reliance goes a long way in any situation and the fail to prepare maxim certainly applies .

Taking a look at government communications to date and the state emergency website - there's fuk all being done apparently. I would love that to be proven otherwise tbh

The HSE is currently log jamed with significant waiting lists for beds in all the major hospitals. Not a chance in hell there is available capacity or resouces for any type of an emergency in the present system

Btw I'm not comparing anything to food rationing - that was a response to this
    Analyse the likely effects of any situation to your own life and make provision, This is what we learned in the last War by the way. 

The point is the state took some fairly effective hands on controls at a national level during the 'last war' you mentioned. - It's not possible for the individual to make national provision but rather I'd hope the relevant authorities are up for taking the finger out

But yes agreed people can do stuff to help themselves - though that doesnt mean those in charge shouldn't be at least doing some half decent contingency planning for this or even similar events.

• Advertisement

'based on the idea that humans don't like to think about bad things happening'

Human nature but taken to extreme will lead to head in sand syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gozunda wrote: »
    Fairly standard Irish State level of information being provided on emergency planning there and elsewhere tbh - ie bugger all squared

According to the news this morning the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed there are Irish citizens on board a cruise ship in Japan and the cruise ship in Cambodia (I presume among those not cleared for departure)

Yeah reckon that's deciding what type of biscuit options there are for the meetings that may be scheduled sometime somewhere ...

If it hits here our hospital and response services will be well and truely fooked and no fault of hard working frontline staff either ...

Why doesn't a journalist challenge the liars in government and ask how is it our medical services could cope with an outbreak, when the norm is for there to be 9+ month waiting lists for innumerable medical procedures and Limerick regional hospital has had people on trolleys for the last decade. If there is the capacity to cope then why hasn't that capacity been used to eliminate waiting lists and get people off trolleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Did I misunderstand an earlier comment.... did an Australian couple refuse to be evacuated from the ship because they weren't sure if they could bring all their bags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just saw on RTE that those returning from the affected ships may not have to quarantine! This is mad we are only asking for trouble.
    Two Irish passengers aboard the MS Westerdam returned home and entered self-imposed isolation for potential coronavirus after the ship docked in Cambodia last week, the Irish Times has learned.

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why - who has died or come to harm?

This whole social media angle is being overplayed dramatically.

China is in serious lockdown mode combating a serious threat. Some of the unverified material is fake for sure but more isn't. I think it's important to sometimes see a glimpse from ground zero. Without access to this material i believe the great unwashed wouldn't be told the full story. I believe social media has played an important role in educating people to some extent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement