Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In other news - deaths ramped up again

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1229896105355292673

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or maybe I have just been ignoring your obsessive (and admittedly a little disturbing) quoting the same thing from me every day for the last couple of weeks.

Time to move on tuxy.

Ok, just try to refrain from making that claim about the CIA.
    Yes. Wuhan bio weapons lab is across the river from the supposed "origin".
    The CIA say it's the most advanced bio weapons facility in China.

Why do you think China put such extreme measures in place so quick?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

wadacrack wrote: »
    This is not the attitude we need as a society. It is possible to contain it. We just need to be pro active about the cases that do arise here. Have a look at what South Korea and Singapore are doing. Extremely detailed maps of people infected and how they are linked etc. We need to take it as seriously as they are . Not just accept our faith type attitude.

I think we are in a stage of containment and slowing it down to give us time.

I don't know the future, but a pandemic seems likely to some people, including me. Hope I'm wrong. Let's prepare and learn how to slow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

1641 wrote: »
    And? It is no secret that China has been investigating corona viruses and particularly those harboured by bats. This is particularly since Sars. Reports indicate that their scientists have identified at least 500 new corona viruses in bats in the past 10 years - and reckon that that this is only a fraction of those present. It has long been feared that a bat corona virus transmitted to humans could lead to a pandemic and that the most likely source would be China. So, that they are investigating is only to be expected - indeed reassuring.
    The thing is this, and here I am quoting the disease ecologist Peter Daszak from your linked article, “Every time there’s an emerging disease, a new virus, the same story comes out: This is a spillover or the release of an agent or a bioengineered virus,” Daszak says. “It’s just a shame. It seems humans can’t resist controversy and these myths, yet it’s staring us right in the face. There’s this incredible diversity of viruses in wildlife and we’ve just scratched the surface. Within that diversity, there will be some that can infect people and within that group will be some that cause illness.”

You missed this bit?
    "Regardless of any conspiracy allegations"

And it was part of the discussion above. Yeah I've read the article funnily enough. And your problem with that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »
    In other news - deaths ramped up again

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1229896105355292673

The death rate is increasing a lot in recent days, it is now over 3.1% in Hubei, and 0.65% for the rest of China.
    Just a week ago it was about 2.1% in Hubei and 0.3% for the rest of China. Over 18% of patients in Hubei are also still in a serious or critical condition.

wakka12 wrote: »
    The death rate is increasing a lot in recent days, it is now over 3.1% in Hubei, and 2.7% for China overall.

It was going down the past few days - Xi needs to get on this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The death rate is increasing a lot in recent days, it is now over 3.1% in Hubei, and 0.65% for the rest of China.
    Just a week ago it was about 2.1% in Hubei and 0.3% for the rest of China.
    Hubei when excluding the unknowns, the confirmed 'death vs recovery' rate is roughly... 22.52297620546392%. Or 1 : 4.44

But it's difficult to draw any conclusions when the status of most (83%) of the 60k confirmed infected in that region is still unknown. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,729 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there could be a million cases in China and 900K are undianosed sniffles.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

Yup 'Sniffles' which could potentially kill 20,000 others and bring an entire country to a standstill :/

silverharp wrote: »

It's unlikely. CDC says 5-20% of the US population gets flu in a year.The high estimate of 20% of the population getting flu in a densely populated place like Wuhan is probably quite likely, but it's over the course of an entire year. Its only been 5 weeks since the first death from coronavirus, so its unlikely to have infected anywhere near that number in that small timeframe, especially with the harsh quarantine which has been in effect for a month makes it even more unlikely. It is likely there is a significant number of unrecorded cases though given how mild the effects appear to be in many people. But the legal obligation for Chinese citizens to attend hospital with even mild flu symptoms would make it even more unlikely there is a huge number of unrecorded cases, well as high as the 900k number you said anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just a week ago it was about 2.1% in Hubei and 0.3% for the rest of China. Over 18% of patients in Hubei are also still in a serious or critical condition.

Its hard to hide all the bodies I'm guessing. God knows what happens when they unseal all those apartment blocks they've entombed people in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Financial Times tomorrow saying Jaguar Landrover in the UK faces shutdown within weeks due to the coronavirus disruption to supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Non-Chinese cases today are slightly above where Chinese cases were on 23/1, death rate is 1/5th. It will be interesting to see where we are in the next 10-15 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Its hard to hide all the bodies I'm guessing. God knows what happens when they unseal all those apartment blocks they've entombed people in.

Already been recycled for body parts at the secret factory there. Some were sceptical about demand but apparently they flew out.
    Bats.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tuxy wrote: »
    That's fine I have no problem with that. Just try to limit the usage of nutjob conspiracy theories. I'm not demanding, just asking can you please try to do that?
    Reported.

There is a handy ignore button there by the way. You don't have to read any of my posts.
    If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Now can the pair of you leave each other alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hmmmm, so I guess we're all still alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Chinese film director Chang Kai and his family died from Covid-19, sad story.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/18/coronavirus-kills-chinese-film-director-family-wuhan-covid-19

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Any Doctor John Campbell videos today?

Actually found one, I hope this wasn't posted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How can a virus that only kills 2% of those infected kill so many from the one family? I know age is a factor but that’s a lot in the one family. Seems like a statistical anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

How heartbreaking. His poor son in the UK how bereft he must feel. So much loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Russia has issued a temporary ban on all Chinese citizens entering the country for tourism, work and for private purposes. Should this not have been done from the start or would that be an extreme?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Russia has done the right thing .

Just 55 new cases in all the rest of China. Seems like a load of bs. Millions of people left Wuhab in early Jan, it's impossible to believe there are so few cases ongoing in major cities like Shanghai and Beijing which didn't experience harsh lockdowns and quarantines. There are more cases emerging in Singapore and Tokyo in the last few days than China's biggest cities

• Advertisement

15 new cases in South Korea
    10 of the 15 are thought to have been infected by one person
    There's now multiple examples outside China of infected persons infecting up to a dozen other people in just a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Leave out the unverified whataboutery

No - I stated it was unverified, but its interesting in relation to the virus, are countries downplaying their cases, and severity other than china.

This is interesting reading - if true it opens up a whole load more questions

https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/chinese-news-51540821

BanditLuke wrote: »

Unverified.

https://twitter.com/234v244/status/1229953368719642629?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This is interesting reading - if true it opens up a whole load more questions

https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/chinese-news-51540821
    If you can read simple Chinese, otherwise (en):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51540981
    It finds that( average): 80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and only 4.7% as critical (older and males at more elevated % risk).

• Advertisement

Its a very bad sign when north korea, are reporting this much more factually and informatively than the rest of the world. Actually explaining the disease in a very transparent manner.

I know this is from February 4th but cow dung or urine as a cure for coronavirus?
    Strange article.

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/coronavirus-cure-cow-urine-cowdung-corona-virus-vaccine-chakrapani-maharaj-585642

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I know this is from February 4th but cow dung or urine as a cure for coronavirus?
    Strange article.

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/coronavirus-cure-cow-urine-cowdung-corona-virus-vaccine-chakrapani-maharaj-585642

Only from an Indian cow'

I call bull ****:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Hong Kong has reported its 2nd death, a 70 year old with an underlying condition. He was admitted 5 days ago to hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It’s really weird watching the passengers of the Diamond Princess disembark, where do they go now? The testing for the virus has proved to be unreliable, the ship was like a Petri dish - are they going to be quarantined somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

How is it looking in terms of cases outside of China and the rate it's growing? I know the cruise accounted for a lot of confirmed cases but are there signs it is not spreading as fast as initially thought?

UK haven't had a confirmed case in nearly a week

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Sure it will be grand.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/irish-pair-home-after-virus-cruise-were-not-screened-38970354.html

What about the other people on the plane? Don’t understand why it was decided not to quarantine. What about the immune compromised on the plane? Were they informed?

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Sure it will be grand.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/irish-pair-home-after-virus-cruise-were-not-screened-38970354.html

What about the other people on the plane? Don’t understand why it was decided not to quarantine. What about the immune compromised on the plane? Were they informed?

What about the people they were queuing beside whilst waiting to go through airport security? They are the completely unknown group as those people would have been branching off to flights all over the world.

Easy to get the flight details and passengers on the plane they travelled on but everyone else?

Didn’t the Cambodian president/prime minister kiss all the passengers who disembarked the Westerdam?

5 more cases in South Korea in addition to the 15 others just hours ago
    SK will begin testing all patients with flu symptoms and pneumonia for ncov

Unearthly wrote: »
    How is it looking in terms of cases outside of China and the rate it's growing? I know the cruise accounted for a lot of confirmed cases but are there signs it is not spreading as fast as initially thought?

UK haven't had a confirmed case in nearly a week

Very slow outside Hubei , still looks containable worldwide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Very slow outside Hubei , still looks containable worldwide

It just seems crazy how bad Wuhan/Hubei area is affected, I'm hoping it just means that it has mutated and the strain we are seeing elsewhere is lighter strain/version.

I really hope that video of the bodies is fake, those poor poor people, it really is unfathomable what is going on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Carol25 wrote: »

Sobering reading. I too also questioned why we were never told how long the illness lasts and how long to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Sure it will be grand.

Were they tested on arrival here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Were they tested on arrival here in Ireland?

Sources say the Irish pair has followed all health protocols since landing back here - and Ireland remains free of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

North Korea is wonder what's happening there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Carol25 wrote: »

Two entire families wiped out by this virus that have made the news.

Chances of that with a 2.3% fatality rate is 2 million to one.
    Age maybe a factor, but this mans wife is in ICU so that would rule out genetics.

IMHO this is looking more and more like Spanish flu mortality rate which would tie in with the actual numbers this doctor suspects (actually he thinks it worse).

That said I do think they have slowed down the spread of the virus and that in itself will save many lives.

Plus the numbers in UK, 9 infected 8 recovered, 1 still sick, seem to indicate a much better recovery rate than expected. So that's hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Sobering reading. I too also questioned why we were never told how long the illness lasts and how long to death.

Yep, that article is 100% correct. Not sure why people are deluding thmeselves with the 2% death rate. The data speaks for itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0218/1116149-coronavirus-questions-answered/

This is good to see, some questions answered. Maybe we will start to see soft communication like this as this progresses.

• Advertisement

BBC report on how people in China have not been able to access urgent medical care

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51440129

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement