Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Aerosols can also behave differently to droplets, depending on atmospheric conditions.

A hot fart in a cold room, with air-con moving cold air into ground level (cold air sinks) and the said flatulance will may 'linger' about longer savourly - at head height.
    (best not to visualise such).

A hot breath on a winter's night will rise upwards, not fall like a cooler heavier, faster-velocity sneeze droplet.

Anwyay, the big ship may be using low quality air filters and very high volume of circulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Oh here we are back at "Ahh is it really serious." Government agencies have a job to preserve public order, which allows them to more effectively deal with the problem. So look at what they do rather than simply listening to their soothing words.

There's nothing to worry about, but:
    • We've cut out 90% of international air travel capacity to China
    • 10% of the worlds population is on lockdown
    • They're spraying the streets with disinfectant
    • Many countries have banned travel, rather than simply advised against it
    • Citizens are being flown to the likes of military bases for quarantine when evacuated
    • Factories and businesses have been so affected that production lines are shutting down and companies are warning of shortages for all sorts
    • The public aspect of the Tokyo marathon, in a country with relatively few cases, has been cancelled and less than 1% of participants will now run

Like, sit back and say "It'll all be grand yeah", but maybe let people who think they might be wise to buy in a few provisions away with themselves just in case. The actions of government officials are not actions of people sitting in their offices saying "This? This is nothing."

Would you expect anything else from the HSE?

Zero accountability, they don’t give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

givyjoe wrote: »
    Oh for gods sake. From now on I'm going to demand a source for every single post of yours :rolleyes:.

TV news, ITV for the airborne piece (hang on til i trawl through my TV recordings of the last 2 weeks broadcasts to find which one of these reported it).. as for the asymptomatic patient, there's multiple sources if you google it. I am not the one writing these reports or TV pieces for Christ Sake!

Again, seen as you keep missing the point I made.. no evidence anywhere to back up a ludicrous claim that it isn't easily transmissible, when the situation on the ground clearly contradicts this.

Please provide us with a source, quoting scientific research that confirms this is NOT easily transmissible. I look forward to it.

Ok fair enough so not confirmed officially to be airborne yet.
    If you have other confirms about how it is transmitter that is understandable just don't say something is confirmed when it has not been. I don't need sources for everything it would just be nice to have them for things that deviate from official information, I'm aware official info is not always correct but there is also lots of inaccurate unofficial info. That's why I find having a source for it to be beneficial

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-airborne-what-symptoms-cure-3855267
    “For the new coronavirus, we still need to see the data and understand how transmission has been assessed.”

You can see why posts such as this can be considered inaccurate and scaremongering.
    It's been previously confirmed to be airborne,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tuxy wrote: »
    Ok fair enough so not confirmed officially to be airborne yet.
    If you have other confirms about how it is transmitter that is understandable just don't say something is confirmed when it has not been.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-airborne-what-symptoms-cure-3855267

You can see why posts such as this can be considered inaccurate and scaremongering.

No, I can't. Perhaps you're just very very easily scared. Interesting you quoted an earlier post, which i then clearly stated as being incorrect. Genuinely not sure what your game is. Continue to stick your head in the sand/misconstrue what people have said all you wish, but do me a favour and put my posts on ignore. I have foolishly engaged with you in good faith, I wont bother any more. I've asked you three times to answer a fairly simply question, and you either can't or won't.

Lastly, don't tell me what to post.

No, I can't. Perhaps you're just very very easily scared. Interesting you quoted an earlier post, which i then clearly stated as being incorrect. Genuinely not sure what your game is. Continue to stick your head in the sand/misconstrue what people have said all you wish, but do me a favour and put my posts on ignore. I have foolishly engaged with you in good faith, I wont bother any more. I've asked you three times to answer a fairly simply question, and you either can't or won't.

The inaccurate post is still there and has yet to be amended.
    I just don't understand the compulsion to even make such claims.

:eek: And?! Why on earth would/should I bother changing it, considering the post that followed?! This is boards, not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Bizarre stuff.
    For the love of god, stop wholesale changing your posts after the fact. Seriously poor form.

There is no compulsion to do anything. What is with your bizarre compulsion/posting style?

:eek: And?! Why on earth would/should I bother changing it, considering the post that followed?! This is boards, not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Bizarre stuff.
    For the love of god, stop wholesale changing your posts after the fact. Seriously poor form.

There is no compulsion to do anything. What is with your bizarre compulsion/posting style?
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

https://www.reddit.com/r/corovirusdata/comments/f5w2r6/bbc_china_wrote_an_article_stating_china_has/
    At a press conference held in Shanghai, health and epidemic prevention experts confirmed that in addition to direct transmission and contact transmission, the transmission route of new crown pneumonia also includes "aerosol transmission".

Aerosol is a colloidal dispersion system formed by solid or liquid small particles dispersed and suspended in a gaseous medium. In simple terms, aerosols are small liquid or solid particles that are stably dispersed and suspended in the air and cannot be seen by the naked eye.

The so-called "aerosol transmission" means that the droplets are mixed in the air to form an "aerosol", which causes infection after inhalation.
    https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/amp/world-51427216%3F__twitter_impression%3Dtrue&xid=17259,15700022,15700043,15700186,15700191,15700259,15700271,15700302

Why would anyone doubt it's airborne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I posted this in the diabetes forum but just found this place and thought I would see what the thinking on here is.

My 19 year old son is a Type 1 diabetic, he recently got the flu while in Paris and had a bad DKA incident which left him in ICU for 5 days and took him a few weeks to get over it all.

Him and his New Zealand girlfriend are planning on going back to NZ in May. The problem is that due to the corna virus, flights on Chinese Airlines are at rock bottom price for long haul flights. They want to book a ticket from Dublin to Taiwan to Auckland.

Given his diabetes I am quite worried about this virus anyway but I think he is putting himself in harms way by flying this route with a Chinese Airline. For the sake of a few hundred euros he could fly with another carrier to the middle east or USA routes.

I do a lot of risk assessments for work, my analysis is as follows: Liklihood of catching the corona virus from a Chinese Airlines plane or while in Taiwan airport = low (but probably higher than with another carrier and route). Severity of catching the virus as a Type 1 diabetic with an already weakened immune system = high. Risk rating = Medium.

For a medium risk level I would review my current proposal and additional control measures or identify and remove elements that are considered as posing the greatest risk. We cant remove the diabetes so the only changeable factor is the travel route.

Am I getting caught up in the mass hysteria surrounding the virus or would this be considered an unacceptable level of risk for a type 1 diabetic to take. It is getting to the point now where we are arguing about it and this is not how we want them leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just don't understand the compulsion to even make such claims.

The WHO chief said it was airborne. Why did none of his colleagues correct him there or can you find a written statement where they corrected him after? They are so concerned about panic and misinformation, wouldn't they be like 'woops, better put out a statement about his mistake'. Should be a quick google for you.

They say they don't have enough evidence, and the head of the organisation also said it is airborne. Two pieces of information, which together without a correction is reasonable for people to think it may be airborne.

Apparently the sliding scale between droplets and smaller droplets is hard to really quantify? I don't know if it is or isn't 'airborne' but the WHO chief obviously thought it was.

• Advertisement

:mad::mad::mad:

???? Care to elaborate. Hardly an unreasonable request to stop making massive changes to your post after the fact. Telling someone as to the content of what they should/shouldn't post is fairly obviously not your place. Wouldn't have thought such a thing would need explaining. Again, bizarre stuff.

They say they don't have enough evidence, and the head of the organisation also said it is airborne. Two pieces of information, which together without a correction is reasonable for people to think it may be airborne.

Yes if that video is a recent press conference then it is confusing conflicting information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I posted this in the diabetes forum but just found this place and thought I would see what the thinking on here is.

My 19 year old son is a Type 1 diabetic, he recently got the flu while in Paris and had a bad DKA incident which left him in ICU for 5 days and took him a few weeks to get over it all.

Him and his New Zealand girlfriend are planning on going back to NZ in May. The problem is that due to the corna virus, flights on Chinese Airlines are at rock bottom price for long haul flights. They want to book a ticket from Dublin to Taiwan to Auckland.

Given his diabetes I am quite worried about this virus anyway but I think he is putting himself in harms way by flying this route with a Chinese Airline. For the sake of a few hundred euros he could fly with another carrier to the middle east or USA routes.

I do a lot of risk assessments for work, my analysis is as follows: Liklihood of catching the corona virus from a Chinese Airlines plane or while in Taiwan airport = low (but probably higher than with another carrier and route). Severity of catching the virus as a Type 1 diabetic with an already weakened immune system = high. Risk rating = Medium.

For a medium risk level I would review my current proposal and additional control measures or identify and remove elements that are considered as posing the greatest risk. We cant remove the diabetes so the only changeable factor is the travel route.

Am I getting caught up in the mass hysteria surrounding the virus or would this be considered an unacceptable level of risk for a type 1 diabetic to take. It is getting to the point now where we are arguing about it and this is not how we want them leaving.

Flying through Taiwan is not risky, I wouldnt worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Offer to pay for the flights if they take the route you choose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is this the only way you can converse on this topic? When a person reverts to insulting somebody to perhaps avoid meaningful engagement, one has to wonder if they lack the capacity for objective reasoning. Can you discuss this without reverting to insults please ?

Objective reasoning? You are comparing having a fire extinguisher in your house to being adequately prepared for the corona virus to somehow validate that it's perfectly reasonable for Irish people to stockpile food and medical supplies when there is a negligible chance of it ever becoming a major issue here. It's loose lips like this thread that causes a panic and a run on the shops for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Objective reasoning? You are comparing having a fire extinguisher in your house to being adequately prepared for the corona virus to somehow validate that it's perfectly reasonable for Irish people to stockpile food and medical supplies when there is a negligible chance of it ever becoming a major issue here. It's loose lips like this thread that causes a panic and a run on the shops for no reason.

Where did I say people (or even I was) should stockpile food and medical supplies? Please quote exactly where I said that or correct yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Not sure how accurate this is, but it looks like the Coronavirus is racist!

https://www.eturbonews.com/542533/coronavirus-risk-for-asians-africans-caucasians-revealed/

If the report is true, Irish /Caucasians are low risk :-)

dublin99 wrote: »

https://www.eturbonews.com/542533/coronavirus-risk-for-asians-africans-caucasians-revealed/

Jesus H Christ. This again. That same 8 person study being knocked around. What a load of sh!te.

Although different races look very different to us the genetics are so close it's unlikely that a virus would have a preference.
    Perhaps other factors at play or not enough info to get an accurate picture on this.

I think this is wishful thinking by some to find some reassurances amongst the bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

A lot of dodgy 'preliminary reports' out there at the moment...... Meanwhile, in Indonesia there's strong evidence of the effectiveness of the power of prayer!!
    https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3051068/we-owe-it-god-indonesia-prays-how-it-keeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

First of all, even if we had a small outbreak here - which is certainly possible or even likely at this stage - some people have existing medical conditions which mean they are higher risk and may need to avoid hitting busy places like supermarkets or pharmacies where there may be sick people.

We had a few days of snow less than 2 years ago which resulted in supermarket stock depletion and people being stuck for essentials for a few days. Where is the harm in people buying an extra inhaler or paracetamol or insulin or freezing a loaf of bread just in case?

So much in life is outside our control that taking small measures of personal preparation makes some people feel better about such situations, what exactly is wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It has legitimate studies links, but their too little cases in Europe, Africa and America to draw a significant conclusion from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So, two Iranians have died today from coronavirus apparently, who I presume are caucasian. guess that puts to bed the thing about non asians not being affected by it
    They were both elderly with underlying immune system related illness, but so have most of the deaths been in China also.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f6ctsr/two_iranians_have_died_in_hospital_after_testing/

It is seriously making me wonder how widespread this already is worldwide if 4 of the eight international deaths were not even known to have coronavirus until after they died

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

I'm not sure about the risk of flying through Taiwan. I'm a type 1 myself, and I'd probably avoid it to be honest but I'm scared of everything lol. If it's a couple hundred euro difference, you could offer to pay the difference in price if you had it, not sure if it's right but that's prob what I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

wadacrack wrote: »
    It has legitimate studies links, but their too little cases in Europe, Africa and America to draw a significant conclusion from it

Fixed your post there - anyone can post a study up, means nothing
    There was a Chinese doc had one up looking for near death participants to be tested with some ridiculous drug (cannot remember which drug)

edit
    Found it - dosing with Vitamin C, must be diagnosed as serious or critical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

fritzelly wrote: »
    This is interesting reading - if true it opens up a whole load more questions

https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/chinese-news-51540821

If you can read Mandarin.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If you can read Mandarin.

Isn't everyone learning it now?
    Already posted a translation here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112583631&postcount=7059

Where did I say people (or even I was) should stockpile food and medical supplies? Please quote exactly where I said that or correct yourself.
    I have decided to take some small steps to mitigate this
    I am not building a bunker in my back garden, but have thrown a few euros at a few things in case there is a bit of panic.
    Hopefully , by being prepared more, I will be able to inform others and not be a part of the panic that will ensue if it starts creating serious problems on our healthcare system.
    Is that me panicking or just taking some measures that in the highly unlikely chance of a fire in my house I have some safety nets to help reduce the impact?

Go on then, what are your safety measures for the corona virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Hopefully this isn't behind a paywall

Coronavirus: should we panic? - https://www.ft.com/video/31c2af5f-3296-4416-9a74-8d27f94410cd

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f6desp/a_case_on_diamond_princess_confirmed_positive_in/
    A passenger aboard the Diamond Princess ordered a re-testing after testing negative. He then tested positive. He ordered it because his parents both tested positive and he knew he must have contracted it also. He was about to board a flight to Hong `Kong , I assume he would have been flying with only people who had also tested negative, and a separate flight for those who are positive.

• Advertisement

Chinese CDC express concern over rebound epidemic once citizens return to work and school.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-illness-symptoms-peak-decline-china-2020-2?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T
    But the Chinese CDC expressed concern about what could happen after the quarantines end. The authors warned that a spike in cases could be imminent once Chinese residents return to school and work.

"Although the epidemic appears to be in decline in the lead up to February 11, 2020, we may yet face more challenges," the researchers wrote. "We need to prepare for a possible rebound of the COVID-19 epidemic in the coming weeks and months."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

I think your concerns are very valid. one reason I don't like flying is I'm highly suspicious about aircontioned air. Very often I feel kind of sickly after flights or in general feel bad because of this 'artificial' air.
    And nobody really knows how good an airline is maintaining/cleaning their aircondition system.
    With a virus as highly infectious as this one, I would definetely not fly with a chinese airline at the moment. (please, no racist brigade comments..:rolleyes:)
    What are a few hundred €'s against potentially loosing your life...?

wakka12 wrote: »

They were only diagnosed earlier today! Any reports on their condition prior to the testing? They must have been in critical state to start with - one would hope anyway and this didn't go from a cough to death in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

They were only diagnosed earlier today! Any reports on their condition prior to the testing? They must have been in critical state to start with - one would hope anyway and this didn't go from a cough to death in a day

The reddit link posted earlier suggested both were elderly with underlying conditions, but is it not strange that they both passed away today considering this illness is not widespread in Iran. Again, I may be missing something here

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

I'm not sure about the risk of flying through Taiwan. I'm a type 1 myself, and I'd probably avoid it to be honest but I'm scared of everything lol. If it's a couple hundred euro difference, you could offer to pay the difference in price if you had it, not sure if it's right but that's prob what I'd do.

I wouldn't book now for May. A lot of Airlines are cutting long haul service to/from Asia as demand declines although they are taking reservations. You may be re-routed or put on alternative flights with inconvenient/extended connections.

Taipei Airport is ok. Be extra vigilant with hand washing and bathrooms. I was last there in January. Taiwan has banned Mainland Chinese visitors or anyone who has been in China in the 14 days prior to arriving in Taiwan. There are relatively few Mainlanders if they do not lift this restriction.

When you say Chinese Airlines, please bear in mind Air China, China Eastern are Mainland Chinese Airlines. China Airlines, Eva Air are Taiwanese (much better standards). If possible the preferred choice would be a Taiwanese Airlines code share eg codeshare with Air NZ with aircraft operated by Air NZ.

laurah591 wrote: »
    The reddit link posted earlier suggested both were elderly with underlying conditions, but is it not strange that they both passed away today considering this illness is not widespread in Iran. Again, I may be missing something here

That's the other thing - 3 dead there now - and official figures say 2+ infected
    Hmmm...

What I found interesting in that rte q&a was this quote:

"It's possible we will get a small number of cases, but if we believe the figures it looks like the Chinese authorities have done a good job containing the virus," he said.

"If we believe the figures". Interesting wording. I understand of course that the figures can change with retrospect after the event. Not to mention errors can be made and so on but to use the words 'if' and 'believe' suggests (to me) that maybe this expert doesn't believe the Chinese and if he doesn't believe it then does that undermine him saying we'll only get "a small number of cases".

I don't know, the wording just stood out to me. If he'd said "if the figures are correct" it wouldn't have.

There is some weirdness afoot in the media. It goes against their interest to play it down yet they do, why? For the first time in history they take the position of assuming the absolute best and hardly report on it?

Even the situation in China where hundreds of millions of people are in quarantine is a huge story and has massive humanitarian and economic consequences none of which seem to interest them. The biggest medical experiment in history? Other countries such as Russia (with a good relationship with China) have a blanket ban on chinese people visiting?

And can the WHO please publicly demand to go the epicenter. What credibility can an investigation have if you don't visit the crime scene? I understand the politics of it, and people may argue that it's better they get on the ground in... beijing or wherever so they can have an impact but if they are accepting direction from the Chinese government on something so fundamental, I don't know how they can make any worthwhile conclusions.

Actually has there been detail on what exactly they are inspecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There is some weirdness afoot in the media. It goes against their interest to play it down yet they do, why? For the first time in history they take the position of assuming the absolute best and hardly report on it?

Even the situation in China where hundreds million of people are in quarantine is a huge story and has massive humanitarian and economic consequences none of which seem to interest them. The biggest medical experiment in history? Other countries such as Russia (with a good relationship with China) have a blanket ban on chinese people visiting?

I don't know why people keep saying that the MSM isn't reporting on it. When the outbreak first became known it was front page news for ages, with multiple stories about it daily, updates about the number of cases, rumors about possible cases in other countries etc. Now its weeks later and it isnt widespread around the whole world so the news cycle has moved on. That's just how it works with everything, I dont think its evidence of some sinister cover up. Dont worry if loads more cases become known in countries like the UK and US then they will be straight back onto the fear mongering articles.

I have to say, when the ebola scare happened several years ago, I bought right into the panic. I've learned my lesson this time. Keep yourself informed by all means, prepare if you feel the need but be cautiously optimistic about how it will turn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep saying that the MSM isn't reporting on it. When the outbreak first became known it was front page news for ages, with multiple stories about it daily, updates about the number of cases, rumors about possible cases in other countries etc. Now its weeks later and it isnt widespread around the whole world so the news cycle has moved on. That's just how it works with everything, I dont think its evidence of some sinister cover up. Dont worry if loads more cases become known in countries like the UK and US then they will be straight back onto the fear mongering articles.

I have to say, when the ebola scare happened several years ago, I bought right into the panic. I've learned my lesson this time. Keep yourself informed by all means, prepare if you feel the need but be cautiously optimistic about how it will turn out.

Exactly and as we get more information and more accurate statistics it is becoming clear that it is not much deadlier or infectious than the seasonal flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A balanced approach is always best. It's good to not unnecessarily panic, but likewise being too laid back isn't a recipe for success really is it. And you can bet the people moaning about "scaremongering" would be the first in line to complain about lack of preparedness if worst came to worst.

Even the situation in China where hundreds of millions of people are in quarantine is a huge story and has massive humanitarian and economic consequences none of which seem to interest them. The biggest medical experiment in history? Other countries such as Russia (with a good relationship with China) have a blanket ban on chinese people visiting?

And can the WHO please publicly demand to go the epicenter. What credibility can an investigation have if you don't visit the crime scene? I understand the politics of it, and people may argue that it's better they get on the ground in... beijing or wherever so they can have an impact but if they are accepting direction from the Chinese government on something so fundamental, I don't know how they can make any worthwhile conclusions.

I’d think a global conspiracy like that impossible to manage and highly unlikely. This reminds me of sep 11 and the “government did it “ theory’s. In the end it looked like it was primarily down to mismanagement, inadequate security, poor communication between authorities and poor planning. This is exactly how I would interpret what is going on if indeed things do get progressively worse. Usually the most boring and obvious reason is the reason...

I think it’s more of a case that nobody really knows exactly what’s going to happen and nobody has all the facts. The media, despite being video nasty enthusiasts, do actually believe that to encourage fear with such a realistic threat (that they themselves don’t understand) is not wise. Asides from the virus The actual cost to the global economy is not clear. Most papers and media outlets are privately owned, none of the owners of these establishments wants global panic cause it hits them in the pocket eventually. Small bit of anarchy/panic is ok to generate interest but I’m not sure it would pay to be OTT scaremongering on this.

Go on then, what are your safety measures for the corona virus?

You made a very big assumption and jumped to a conclusion you cannot now confirm..

You said I am stock piling things, either qualify what you said or apologize and take it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Hundreds of millions in quarantine in China? Really?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Exactly and as we get more information and more accurate statistics it is becoming clear that it is not much deadlier or infectious than the seasonal flu.

Ncov has killed significantly more people in the last 5 weeks in Wuhan than youd expect from seasonal flu in that size city and that timeframe so no, it is definitely more dangerous than flu

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Aye that's not the impression I've gotten (in terms of coverage on TV), I don't buy newspapers so take your word for it. During the height of the official numbers rising I rarely saw it as a main piece on online news sites. Maybe I'm reading too much into it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

The two victims were from different parts of Qom and had no travel history – Iran was officially disease free this morning. Going by the numbers elsewhere Iran must have a hundred unconfirmed cases already.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Sigma101 wrote: »
    The two victims were from different parts of Qom and had no travel history – Iran was officially disease free this morning. Going by the numbers elsewhere Iran must have a hundred unconfirmed cases already.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-middle-east-51563039

Looks like 25 suspected cases in same hospital.... I wonder how many health care workers were infected caring for the 2 deceased patients

You made a very big assumption and jumped to a conclusion you cannot now confirm..

You said I am stock piling things, either qualify what you said or apologize and take it back.

Pathetic, at least own what you are suggesting or stop waffling about being prepared.
    I have decided to take some small steps to mitigate this
    I am not building a bunker in my back garden, but have thrown a few euros at a few things in case there is a bit of panic.
    Hopefully , by being prepared more, I will be able to inform others and not be a part of the panic that will ensue if it starts creating serious problems on our healthcare system.
    Is that me panicking or just taking some measures that in the highly unlikely chance of a fire in my house I have some safety nets to help reduce the impact?

What is above if not stockpiling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Over 620 via the cruise/plauge ship.

The funny thing is that for the ones getting off it now (1:7 infection rate), the press and media were up in the faces with cameras, microphones and dictaphones.
    The majority of the press weren't even wearing masks, nor gloves.

You'd think they out of everyone journalists would be aware of the risk by now.
    Anyway am sure they'll all be fine, as they head back to their TV vans, coffee shops, and edit studios, after those up close and personal interviews.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement