Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Curious how Taiwan culture differs from the country China's culture? Is it more democratic or more authoritarian?

Christ, that news could be scary, but I am taking everything with a grain of salt.

Not sure really, but I just heard a lot of people on reddit from Taiwan saying that the media make up stories, not stretch the truth or sensationalise like Irish tabloids but completely fabricate stories

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

givyjoe wrote: »
    Call Joe Duffy

That set off the Joe Duffy jingle in my head....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

givyjoe wrote: »
    Call Joe Duffy

On a serious note can you imagine the amount of pure misery that Joe would ring out of any Covid19 outbreak here on a large scale :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876197

This virus just doesn't do good news.

I know! I was thinking just get it over with and roll the dice and be one of the first into ICU if needed then I read that. No immunity? Fe*k.
    And re-infection? Double Fe*k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    On a serious note can you imagine the amount of pure misery that Joe would ring out of any Covid19 outbreak here on a large scale :(

Disgraceful Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The BBC do an interesting piece here about fake news and sensationalist scaremongering headlines. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51504512

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Situation reports (WHO) showing spread of Corona virus to other provinces

eg Henan adjacent to Wuhan Province

3ppmfg.jpg

3ppmpd.jpg

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The BBC do an interesting piece here about fake news and sensationalist scaremongering headlines. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51504512

How is it fake news? The research was: The study estimated nearly 60,000 people might have travelled to almost 400 cities worldwide before the Wuhan authorities had imposed a ban on travel.

The story was: leading to headlines such as "New map reveals no country safe from coronavirus tentacles" and "Terrifying map reveals how thousands of Wuhan travellers could have spread coronavirus to 400 cities worldwide."

Some effort by the Chinese to stop this spreading to Beijing and Shanghai.

It may not be fake news but certainly falls into the latter 'sensationalist scare mongering headline'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Call a local GP or medical center / local HSE clinic etc...

Calling 999 for flu symptoms seems rather excessive, no?
    So much for easing sense of panic.

Yeah maybe. Although in the context of a pandemic maybe not. I wonder have the 999 people already planned for that announcement.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    How is it fake news? The research was: The study estimated nearly 60,000 people might have travelled to almost 400 cities worldwide before the Wuhan authorities had imposed a ban on travel.

The story was: leading to headlines such as "New map reveals no country safe from coronavirus tentacles" and "Terrifying map reveals how thousands of Wuhan travellers could have spread coronavirus to 400 cities worldwide."

No not that bit it was the tabloids latching on to the flight map and misinterpreting it as the Wuhan residents flight path to the rest of the world which it wasn't, it was just a flight map of the world in general from another discussion on the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

wadacrack wrote: »
    Both countries are testing all flu like symptoms The data in these countries over the next few wees will help give us a better understanding of what we are dealing with

What? Have they developed a urine test for the virus?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

gozunda wrote: »
    Situation reports (WHO) showing spread of Corona virus to other provinces

eg Henan adjacent to Wuhan Province

3ppmfg.jpg

3ppmpd.jpg

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Will be interested to see how WHO report tomorrow following China's amendment to reporting criteria (ie formally diagnosed cases only) I understand today's increase of 367 odd was a net figure dismissing some cases previously counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder will they consider using the natural super weapon that is available? They could use bacterial phages.

It seems like an ideal testing ground against this.

I wonder will they consider using the natural super weapon that is available? They could use bacterial phages.

It seems like an ideal testing ground against this.

What's that now?

CNN had a guy on earlier talking to a guy on board the ship. Sounded grim on there

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Watching a live stream there, the commentators saying the hospitals that were thrown up in a few days were a p.r exercise primarily, bad design, infrastructure problems, people in large rooms together cross infecting.

This is how communist regimes work sadly. You can't believe a single thing they do or say especially to the outside world.

• Advertisement

What's that now?

Look up bacteriaphage on youtube.

I heard of it before. Really interesting what it does to bacteria harmful to humans.

Seen as a possible solution to antibiotics crisis too.

No new cases in Shanghai for second day in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Look up bacteriaphage on youtube.

I heard of it before. Really interesting what it does to bacteria harmful to humans.

Seen as a possible solution to antibiotics crisis too.

They attack bacteria but this is a thread about a virus???

wakka12 wrote: »
    No new cases in Shanghai for second day in a row

Incredible really.

fritzelly wrote: »
    They attack bacteria but this is a thread about a virus???

It is a virus, I don't know if it can be applied to this though because I don't know enough about it.

It is a virus, I don't know if it can be applied to this though because I don't know enough about it.

Why spout nonsense when you don't even know how they work
    Move over to the conspiracy forum - never thought you were this type Kermit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876197

This virus just doesn't do good news.

Not when you use unreliable news sources who still have links to debunked conspiracy theories like the cremation gases on their main page.
    SeaBreezes wrote: »
    https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200219-sitrep-30-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=6e50645_2

WHO Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report – 29 Feb 19..
    WHO is working with an international network of statisticians and mathematical modelers to estimate key epidemiologic parameters of COVID19, such as the incubation period (the time between infection and symptom onset), case fatality ratio (CFR, the proportion of cases that die), and the serial interval (the time between symptom onset of a primary and secondary case). Reports of current analyses that have estimated these parameters are provided in this Situation Report as a summary of currently available evidence. These values should be considered preliminary and parameters will likely be updated as more information becomes available.

Preliminary estimates of median incubation period are 5-6 days (ranging from 0-14 days) and estimates for the serial interval range from 4.4 to 7.5 days

The confirmed case fatality ratio, or CFR, is the total number of deaths divided by the total number of confirmed cases at one point in time. Within China, the confirmed CFR, as reported by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, is 2.3%. This is based on 1023 deaths amongst 44 415 laboratory-confirmed cases as of 11 February.
    This CFR does not include the number of more mild infections that may be missed from current surveillance, which has largely focused on patients with pneumonia requiring hospitalization; nor does it account for the fact that recently confirmed cases may yet develop severe disease, and some may die. As the outbreak continues, the confirmed CFR may change.

(They skip past the fact all they have to do, to get a better idea, is factor in the time lag to closed cases, and estimate the number of cases 3 weeks(ish) before, but everyone seems to be fudging that issue, so it must be a scary number, otherwise it would be all over every release.(IMO))

Anyway, here is it, the latest and greatest from WHO..

Edit: Comments in Twitter make me laugh/cry:

- When do we expect the findings from the team
    - Apparently after half the world's population has it.

Bolded the point I've made several times. These WHO stats don't take into account undiagnosed cases which with most infections like these far exceed confirmed ones. Chinas draconic measures probably rounded up many who were recorvering at home but I'm sure they missed a lot too.

Looks like S Korea numbers are about to do a massive jump in new cases

Looks like S Korea numbers are about to do a massive jump in new cases

Yeah South Korea and Japan are the ones to watch.

Why spout nonsense when you don't even know how they work
    Move over to the conspiracy forum - never thought you were this type Kermit

I'll stay right here, thank you very much.

15 new cases in S Korea
    More than twenty yesterday
    Almost double the number of cases in the country in 48 hours

• Advertisement

15 new cases in S Korea
    More than twenty yesterday
    Almost double the number of cases in the country in 48 hours

More to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I'll stay right here, thank you very much.

Just be careful there are rumours this thing can spread thought wifi the 2.4GH band I think you should be safe using 5GH if you set a strong password.;)

Just be careful there are rumours this thing can spread thought wifi the 2.4GH band I think you should be safe using 5GH if you set a strong password.;)

That's more plausible than the 'stats' overseen by the politburo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You may be interested in this piece of research

The old adage of feed a cold and starve a fever.
    now is feed a virus, starve a bacterium?

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2016/09/13/feed-a-virus-starve-a-bacterium/

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/glucose-inflammation/498965/

More to come

Yep 16 more added just now, a total of 31 added in the last hour and 51 over the last 24 hours. It is the most daily increases ever reported outside China. Country total 82 now, just behind Japan and Singapore with 84 each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

That's more plausible than the 'stats' overseen by the politbureau ;)

I am not into the conspiracy theories much myself either but one thing you said was we can not trust anything the Chinese government says.

You can not trust anything any Government says if would be a wacky conspiracy to believe there is any honest Government out there.:D

Yep 16 more added just now. Country total 82 now, just behind Japan and Singapore with 84 each

Over 50% increase in one day is not good news

Over 50% increase in one day is not good news

I wonder if they are now at the stage Wuhan was at 6 weeks ago?

Huge increase either way.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I wonder if they are now at the stage Wuhan was at 6 weeks ago?

Huge increase either way.

Who knows what Wuhan was like 6 weeks ago - they don't know

China's got this under control - all hail Xi

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1230311827889967105

• Advertisement

Sad news - Japanese couple in their 80's. Japan and WHO have a lot to answer for

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1230320994298073088

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sad news - Japanese couple in their 80's. Japan and WHO have a lot to answer for

I'm out of the loop on this one. What exactly did the WHO do that caused Japan to leave these people on the ship?

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm out of the loop on this one. What exactly did the WHO do that caused Japan to leave these people on the ship?

To paraphrase they said it was best for them to stay on the ship - will try to find the video of the Irish doctor saying it

Here

To paraphrase they said it was best for them to stay on the ship - will try to find the video of the Irish doctor saying it

I see, well lets wait and see if these two were some of the infected that were taken off the ship early and taken to hospital. Or maybe they were possibly uninfected and only contracted the virus as a result of being left on the ship.

It really does look like most of the spread happened while docked after the first discovery of an infected person on board.

Important to study this event to see what issues led to the spreading sic
    I mean seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So I posted a video yesterday of bodies lining the streets.

Im wondering now, how many people die each day naturally.

Worldwide, 150k people die every day

7b people - 150k dead - so, china (1/7th of world population) = about 22k dead per day.

so 22k per billion people.

500m - 11k

50m - 1.1k

10m - Wuhan size - 220 people die every day.

So - since Jan 25th - 5940 people on average would have died in wuhan anyway.

It would explain a lot including why so many people are lining the streets dead. In some morbid fashion its actually making me feel better. with the lack of any real medical help for all other illnesses this figure would naturally increase also.

I suppose I didnt think that the day to day deaths etc, in a place in nearly full lockdown, would eventually have a severe backlog of bodies piling up which makes it very hard to judge what your seeing regards dead coming out of wuhan.

Important to study this event to see what issues led to the spreading sic
    I mean seriously

I think it may be possible that there is an incredibly long incubation period and it did not spread much after quarantine started on the ship. But it is looking less likely everyday.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement