Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

tara73 wrote: »
    but these are not general 'psychic meduim predictions' about some pandemie from my pov. It describes exactly this case, a pneumonial virus, developed in the labs outside of WUHAN. That's what written in this book, no denying or downplaying it.

I can't get my head around why people could not be shocked by this..
    Also, the book gives a very interesting hint: they always say the virus must have come from a bat/pangolin or whatever animal. Did they do tests in the last weeks to see if the virus is even able to live/reproduce in this animals to determine whether they could even be the spreader? would be a revealing study..

and i can't stand it anymore people jumping out calling this conspiracy theories, they are not, it's the complete opposite: they are very realistic scenarios. if somebody would say, ok, the lizard people are at it again, sure, BS, not listening, but it has to be discussed and to find out in the end where this virus came from and it doesn't help to taboo and call people conspiracy nuts (why at all I ask myself, you only taboo and shoot down subjects because there's some truth which shouldn't be discovered) when there are very valid and likely reasons to believe it was manmade coming from a lab in Wuhan.

Relax. It's photos from two separate books. The first talked about a virus and then some years later ammended the name to Wuhan 400 because a lab was operating there and it gave the fictional disease more realism.

The second book just talks about a disease affecting the lungs appearing in 2020. That's hardly shocking considering diseases affecting the lungs (SARS and MERS) have been popping up and we know we're vulnerable to virus as we can't treat them. Therefore it makes a perfectly reasonable premise for a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

laurah591 wrote: »
    Another interesting article drawing similarities between Singapore's and Sth Korea's church outbreaks https://www.ft.com/content/fd5fec40-538b-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f
    Can't read it because it's behind a paywall.

Relax. It's photos from two separate books. The first talked about a virus and then some years later ammended the name to Wuhan 400 because a lab was operating there and it gave the fictional disease more realism.

The second book just talks about a disease affecting the lungs appearing in 2020. That's hardly shocking considering diseases affecting the lungs (SARS and MERS) have been popping up and we know we're vulnerable to virus as we can't treat them. Therefore it makes a perfectly reasonable premise for a story.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dean-koontz-predicted-coronavirus/

Article expanding on aspects of this.

Lucky it wasn't a Philip K Dick novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

You want to really go down that rabbit hole have a look at Madonnas Eurovision number in Tel Aviv.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3WkiL0d_U

It's like she could see the future!! :-)
    Feck it lads, we're living in the matrix :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

yes, that's what you believe, but I believe this is a manmade virus brought into the public on purpose by whomever.. when seeing such book about from decades ago describing the situation it confirms it for me.

I know this would end up in a huge discussion people shooting it down (why I ask myself, why not even leave it open to a very big possibility..) therefore I leave it at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well I believe in the tooth fairy. No more discussion please, I want to leave it at that.

Btw, you seem like the gullible sort. Can I sell you some crystals to protect against the disease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

yes, that's what you believe, but I believe this is a manmade virus brought into the public on purpose by whomever.. when seeing such book about from decades ago describing the situation it confirms it for me.

I know this would end up in a huge discussion people shooting it down (why I ask myself, why not even leave it open to a very big possibility..) therefore I leave it at this.

Google ‘The Wreck of the Titan: Or, Futility’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why though ?
    To crash the chinese economy ?

So you won't even acknowledge it's two separate books conflated together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I also believe it could be manmade, there has been a lot going on in China and this just came out of nowhere didn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I also believe it could be manmade, there has been a lot going on in China and this just came out of nowhere didn't it?

every new disease just comes out of nowhere if you want to put it that way

Someone said a few pages back a thesis could be done on this thread after all this is done and dusted, I am beginning to think the same ..

Believing there is some small possibility this could be man-made is not completely crazy but basing that on those books ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, It came from eating filthy wild critters at an illegal market.

Stark wrote: »
    Well I believe in the tooth fairy. No more discussion please, I want to leave it at that.

Btw, you seem like the gullible sort. Can I sell you some crystals to protect against the disease?

and you seem like the sort who thinks he/she can judge from a high horse being the know it all. I already said it myself in my last post I will not discuss it any further because of exactly posters like you coming along with this arrogant attitude.
    And you're not a mod by the way. they decide what's inapprobriate, not you.

have a nice day !

• Advertisement

Why though ?
    To crash the chinese economy ?

exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A lot of what going on?
    Most diseases are a chance happening, a one in a million scenario that occurs when one infected species meets a viable animal host which happens to then come in close contact with a human who contracts it

Believing there is some small possibility this could be man-made is not completely crazy but basing that on those books ..

I don't base it solemly on those books! Never said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't base it solemly on those books! Never said that.

but you did say
    when seeing such book about from decades ago describing the situation it confirms it for me.

so you do place a lot of credence in a work of fiction and some modern day nostradamus.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Google ‘The Wreck of the Titan: Or, Futility’.
    Interesting.

Another one - I thought Black Sunday by Thomas Harris had some similarities to 911 when I read it. Islamic terrorists use commercial aircraft to attack a major landmark in the USA.

I find it unsettling to wonder if that's where they got the idea.

These would make a good thread in their own right.

Another one, very well known - the first Black Mirror episode and the pigs head story about David Cameron.

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets showed Russians doing non-work to give the impression of high productivity and full employment. That was pretty accurate too, as it transpired, though more insightful than predictive exactly.

• Advertisement

12 cases in total today in Japan, total 93 countrywide now. Including a taxi driver who collected somebody from the Princess Diamond in Okinawa on February 1st, when the first positive case was identified. So there were significant number of infections on board the ship over two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

In Tara's defence, 'sample' smuggling and international espionage with regards to labs DOES happen.
    Though I would hope no-one is crazy enough to create a bio-weapon and release it, ( mutation, much?)

Anyway the world of scientific espionage:

A federal court has reportedly unsealed a shocking set of indictments implicating Charles Lieber, the head of Harvard University‘s chemistry department, as well as two Chinese nationals, for smuggling “biological material” into China and later lying about it.

Lieber was reportedly paid $50,000 per month by the Wuhan University of Technology – Wuhan being where the current coronavirus global health emergency began – to participate in its so-called “Thousand Talents Program.” He was also paid more than $1.5 million to create a laboratory and conduct “research” at the school.

Zaosong Zheng, a graduate student at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, was arrested December 10 as he was attempting to fly from Boston to Beijing with stolen biological specimens in his luggage. He planned to take the vials of cancer cells to Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital in China, according to The New York Times.

Prosecutors stated in court documents that the incident seems to be part of a larger effort to steal material from the lab where Zheng worked and bring it to China, the Times reports. Zheng’s roommate, also a researcher, told FBI agents that two labmates of Zheng had succeeded in getting specimens to China. “t appears to have been a coordinated crime, with likely involvement by the Chinese government,” the prosecutors allege in the court filings.

Harvard University had sponsored Zheng’s visa to study in the US.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/grad-student-arrested-trying-to-smuggle-specimens-to-china-66889

https://fortune.com/2020/02/20/coronavirus-fecal-transmission/
    I wonder could this be an explanation why the spread is not exploding outside China ?

Very very poor hygiene in China - especially their toilet ettiquette.

Am unlucky enough to work with a chinese fella and he leaves the jax in work in a horrid state, piss and shyte all over the place - filthy kernt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
    I care because posts like this scare people in doing stuff that is not necessary. There is no need to scare people. People have lost the run of themselves.

Did anyone stockpile for SARS? That was 17 years ago and infected people in 29 countries.

I am off to invest in face mask companies and make some money from this madness.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Perhaps you should go preach your Ostrich dogma to CNBC - you know, the US based finance news website. They must be panicking - go stop them, quick. These are the Virus article stories in just the first two screens of that site on my laptop. It's the topic of global concern at the moment. You are the odd man out, you are the one out of step with the global conversation.

Were you actually replying to my post or having a rant and stating the obvious? I don't watch CNBC but I know there will be a financial impact. Especially for China. We all know that. It's already happening. Many Chinese stocks lost 10% on the day their stock market opened after the New Year holiday. It would have been much more but they have 10% daily loss limits on their equities.

Potential financial/economic repercussions are still no valid reason to anticipate a major outbreak here or the breakdown of food supply chains here. It's still no reason for chicken lickens to scare people with the utter nonsense we are seeing on social media. I am only on Boards but I am sure Twitter and Facebook is full of the fake news too.

There was a post recently which made me smile - someone said they were making great progress mapping the virus which will ultimately lead to a vaccine. It got no 'likes' whereas vacuous posts after it got loads of likes from the doomsayers.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/20/coronavirus-fecal-transmission/
    I wonder could this be an explanation why the spread is not exploding outside China ?

Very very poor hygiene in China - especially their toilet ettiquette.

Am unlucky enough to work with a chinese fella and he leaves the jax in work in a horrid state, piss and shyte all over the place - filthy kernt

Well thats quite racist. Wuhan is a modern and well developed city that would put much of Dublin's infrastructure and living standards to shame, not a slum , hygiene is certainly not the reason it is spreading quickly. It is spreading quickly in Deagu also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Another one, very well known - the first Black Mirror episode and the pigs head story about David Cameron.

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets showed Russians doing non-work to give the impression of high productivity and full employment. That was pretty accurate too, as it transpired, though more insightful than predictive exactly.

I always assumed the Black Mirror writers knew people who told them about the pigs head before it became public rumor. The elite who work in media and politics all run in the same Oxbridge circles in the UK.

The Tintin stuff: Potemkin villages existed in Russia long before. That kind of official deception pre existed the Soviets in Russian culture.

One can find artistic parallels to later developments anywhere if they look hard enough. Even the Chernobyl disaster has striking similarities with parts of the Bible. None of it means anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well thats quite racist. Wuhan is a modern and well developed city, not a slum , hygiene is certainly not the reason it is spreading quickly. It is spreading quickly in Deagu also

Do you know if it’s true that China has a culture of spitting? If so , I would of thought it’s a reasonable (not racist) question to ask if this has any bearing on the spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

OSI wrote: »
    Wow. What a lovely culturally ignorant and racist comment.

He's well known for making such comments about every nation that is not the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Well thats quite racist. Wuhan is a modern and well developed city that would put much of Dublin's infrastructure and living standards to shame, not a slum , hygiene is certainly not the reason it is spreading quickly. It is spreading quickly in Deagu also

It's not racist. It's stereotyping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

Great news :) (not a single like)

18 to 24 months. that's a long time on death row

It's not racist. It's stereotyping

It is racist, he was implying that it was spreading quickly in China through fecal matter contact because he knows a guy who leaves the jax in a state

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I read that the regular flu’s we deal with today are actually variations of the 1918 Spanish Flu. If true, how many hundreds of years will we be dealing with this deadly strain of the WuFlu?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Do you know if it’s true that China has a culture of spitting? If so , I would of thought it’s a reasonable (not racist) question to ask if this has any bearing on the spread.

I have heard that actually. But just outdoors, if theyre not spitting on or at people I dont think it would have a big impact on the spread.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I always assumed the Black Mirror writers knew people who told them about the pigs head before it became public rumor. The elite who work in media and politics all run in the same Oxbridge circles in the UK.

The Tintin stuff: Potemkin villages existed in Russia long before. That kind of official deception pre existed the Soviets in Russian culture.

One can find artistic parallels to later developments anywhere if they look hard enough. Even the Chernobyl disaster has striking similarities with parts of the Bible. None of it means anything.
    That's interesting about the potemkin villages.

Wasn't suggesting any if them meant anything beyond face value. Don't even think Charlie Brooker had access to inside info about pig ****ing. Just find the parallels interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It is racist, he was implying that it was spreading quickly in China through fecal matter contact because he knows a guy who leaves the jax in a state

Chinese citizens aren't a race.

18 to 24 months. that's a long time on death row

Perhaps they will break the rules and rush it out like the initial swine flu vaccines.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/swine-flu/
    The vaccine was rushed into service in 2009 due to fears of a global swine flu pandemic.

Because clinical trials had not been fully completed, the Government agreed to indemnify GSK, which would not otherwise have agreed to supply the vaccine.

I have heard that actually. But just outdoors, if theyre not spitting on or at people I dont think it would have a big impact on the spread.

I suppose so, unless spit leaves some sort of elements of the virus and it can maybe evaporate and cause issues? Ah I dont know , do we think that the spread in Wuhan was primarily due to government slow to act in a densely populated area ?

notobtuse wrote: »
    I read that the regular flu’s we deal with today are actually variations of the 1918 Spanish Flu. If true, how many hundreds of years will we be dealing with this deadly strain of the WuFlu?

No idea if that is correct but a virus can mutate into something less deadly and it can survive better that way as we not as cautious of it.

• Advertisement

lets leave the PC bs aside, my mother had 2 chinese girls staying in her house last year - and they were extremely wealthy , they left their rooms with ****ty tissues in the bins, they DESTROYED the jacks, she needed to get them professionally cleaned - I was in China myself years ago and it was normal to see people spit on the floor in public buidlings, trains, buses ... disgusting ...

Perhaps they will break the rules and rush it out like the initial swine flu vaccines.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/swine-flu/

Id be interested to know what the potential downsides are to rushing a vaccine. Laws of unintended consequences are difficult to mitigate if you havent had as much time to do a SWOT analysis of sorts.

lets leave the PC bs aside, my mother had 2 chinese girls staying in her house last year - and they were extremely wealthy , they left their rooms with ****ty tissues in the bins, they DESTROYED the jacks, she needed to get them professionally cleaned - I was in China myself years ago and it was normal to see people spit on the floor in public buidlings, trains, buses ... disgusting ...

Its not PC, come on , you are saying a whole race of people are 'dirty', I know plenty of Chinese people too and their cleanliness does not seem anything out of the ordinary. The link you posted said it may have travelled quickly because of fecal matter because of a ship environment, nothing about Wuhan or chinese culture or any explanation why it was spreading fast there. More likely it is spreading fast because Wuhan has a high population density than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Id be interested to know what the potential downsides are to rushing a vaccine. Laws of unintended consequences are difficult to mitigate if you havent had as much time to do a SWOT analysis of sorts.

Dont know what the full list of claimed side effects were, but one such claimed side of effect of the Swine Flu vaccine was narcolepsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Have we not seen this in the claims of narcolepsy (wrong spelling) following swine flu vacine. Was there not a case brought before the courts against the high court recently?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/woman-settles-case-alleging-swine-flu-vaccine-link-to-narcolepsy-1.4088119

same says my friend who lives in Beijing at the moment. told the story here somebody spit on her leg on a bus. I think it's ridiculous being called racist pointing out (negative) factual common cultural behaviour from a nation.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Dont know what the full list of claimed side effects were, but one such claimed side of effect of the Swine Flu vaccine was narcolepsy.

That’s not the worst side effect in the world...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/hospitals-across-the-us-prepare-for-coronavirus-outbreak-to-become-global-pandemic.html
    US Hospitals prepare for global pandemic
    “This is the time to open up your pandemic plans and see that things are in order,” Dr. Anne Schuchat, a top official of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, urged hospitals last week.
    That is quite a change of tune in a few days from the CDC

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f6tqoe/south_korea_considers_raising_virus_alert_level/
    South Korea considers raising virus alert level from "orange" to "red"; a meeting will take place on Friday morning - Yonhap

It depends on how many people injure themselves or die from it.
    Just imagine the chaos of a city full of people with this side effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You'd think until the havoc it would cause on your daily life. Walking down the stairs.. bang.. behind the wheel of a car (shouldn't drive obviously), walking on the street, on an escalator etc. You'd literally need to live your life in a giant bubble football, to avoid busting your head open every five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Great news :) (not a single like)

Yeah but at the same time they did say it wouldn't possibly be developed till 18 months - two years time, so there could be a lot of fatalities during that wait.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement