Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Large call centre in Dublin had a staff member sent home today after a trip to Thailand. They phoned the HSE and was told they were on the wrong islands, so won't be tested for the virus.

You'd think they'd just test her to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Large call centre in Dublin had a staff member sent home today after a trip to Thailand. They phoned the HSE and was told they were on the wrong islands, so won't be tested for the virus.

be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

ardinn wrote: »
    You can get the virus multiple times, I saw a report somewhere that the 2nd time your pretty much dead as a dodo.

They should rename it Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just as well no one else visited that island...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The thing that I find most concerning are the cases in both Japan, and now Qom, where the have found no link to China or people who have come from there. Obviously not finding a causal connection doesn't mean there wasn't one but not finding one is a worry to me.

Yes I have seen 12 monkeys and no I don't think that is remotely likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ardinn wrote: »
    You can get the virus multiple times, I saw a report somewhere that the 2nd time your pretty much dead as a dodo.

Was this report verified and based on actual facts and confirmed cases? Seems a bit early to be able to conclude such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

cnocbui wrote: »
    The thing that I find most concerning are the cases in both Japan, and now Qom, where the have found no link to China or people who have come from there. Obviously not finding a causal connection doesn't mean there wasn't one but not finding one is a worry to me.

Yes I have seen 12 monkeys and no I don't think that is remotely likely.

Speculation only, maybe spreading from bats flying to different areas.
    Bat to bat transfer then to humans in a total different area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Iraq has suspended flights to/from Iran and reports the border is being closed.
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/iraq-closes-border-with-iran-over-coronavirus-fears/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Best give her a scrub down to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Cant really test everyone who come back from holiday and gets the sniffles now.

Must be 10000s of people coming back/into ireland from countrys whete the virus is every day. Wouldnt be practical to test everyone who gets a cold or sneezes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

What does that mean?
    Medical practitioners are required to identify patients with it to the department of health.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Worldometers:

New graphs showing very interesting trends in current active cases, outcome (death vs recovery rates), new cases in China outside of Hubei, and more, are going to be published in the coming hours.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Even if the measures being applied in developed nations work, I reckon there will be major outbreaks in countries like North Korea and African nations. I think once that happens there won't be much hope of containing it on a global level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

Even if the measures being applied in developed nations work, I reckon there will be major outbreaks in countries like North Korea and African nations. I think once that happens there won't be much hope of containing it on a global level.

not so worried with north korea, they don't let much in and out I heard..:Pbut what's with south america? studied a world map yesterday indicating all cities/places with cases. south america has none so far...not sure whether to believe it..

Africa has been lacking in test kits until now.
    Let's see what turns up.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1230565400959537153?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Africa has been lacking in test kits until now.
    Let's see what turns up.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1230565400959537153?s=19

That's good news but it still leaves 25 countries in Africa that can't test.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

And it's a disgrace. So much money around and these poor countries can't even access a PCR kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

that's what I think they have no cases because they have no test kits...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Cant really test everyone who come back from holiday and gets the sniffles now.

Must be 10000s of people coming back/into ireland from countrys whete the virus is every day. Wouldnt be practical to test everyone who gets a cold or sneezes..

She had the symptoms and had just flown in from Asia.

Even if there are 10's of 1000's flying into Ireland from that region, how many have actually contacted the HSE presenting symptoms of the virus, I wonder?

It'll only take one missed case to kick it off.

Hopefully they come up with an antibody test soon.

The PCR test is more expensive and centralised, with a poor record of accuracy, depending a lot on how the sample was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Drumpot wrote: »
    I thought ME was more to do with Chronic fatigue ? (no fun as I have a client who has it).

Although I have seen about how lack of sleep (as a result of ME) can effect your immune system. Interesting as I have suffered sleeping issues myself and did see a link on youtube from a doctor suggesting that good sleep can help people build up their immune system against the Coronavirus.

That's what I would of thought, with no immune system you would literally have to live in a bubble or isolation building of sorts ? Maybe having a poor immune system is the same ?!

So much lack of awareness re M,E aka CFIDS. ie Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with Immuno Deficiency.Syndrome .. I do in fact live in complete isolation in a very remote place with no direct human contact as eg flu could kill me. It is not lack of sleep that is the issue with M.E/CFSIDS. It is the immunodeficiency. The sheer exhaustion is not lack of sleep but the illness, In winter I can sleep 19 hours a day. And no healing from that as the hypersomnia is part of the illness

I did write this earlier in the thread. I am headed for 80; when I tried to find out how age affected the ME, I was told that very few lived this long and that death was mainly due to "overwhelming infection" . Last time I caught a simple cold it wiped me out for months. All for attending a First Communion... Also vaccines are OUT on consultant advice.

M.E/CFSIDS is a very serious and multifaceted disease. coronavirus would be very bad news indeed but I am safe. And happy in my very limited lifestyle. Life is precious however limited.

Best wishes Grace, you seem hardy and sensible. Will probably outlive a lot of us. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

wakka12 wrote: »

They had mentioned the possibility of pilgrims.
    Reported 2 cases yesterday, then a few hours later reported that the 2 had died :(

A third case reported today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Best wishes Grace, you seem hardy and sensible. Will probably outlive a lot of us. <3

lol.. the hard part for me was the 30 years of misdiagnosis of the "all in the mind" variety. As soon as I finally got the diagnosis I could deal with it.

And thank you.

They had mentioned the possibility of pilgrims.
    Reported 2 cases yesterday, then a few hours later reported that the 2 had died :(

A third case reported today.

3 more cases today, in addition to the 2 deaths. 5 in Iran in total. 4 in Qom where the two men died and a fith in a different province

3 more cases today, in addition to the 2 deaths. 5 in Iran in total. 4 in Qom where the two men died and a fith in a different province

Yes, I see that now on worldometers.
    Bit of a cluster growing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

igCorcaigh wrote:
    And it's a disgrace. So much money around and these poor countries can't even access a PCR kit.
    DNA technologies are very expensive.
    The reagents, DNA primers and probes (small vials of DNA) can cost thousands.

Its not like adding reagent A to reagent B and get a + or - like a pregnancy test.

The DNA has to be extracted and purified on one analyser and then the PCR takes place on another analyser. These machines can be as big as a washing machine.

DNA technologies are very expensive.
    The reagents, DNA primers and probes (small vials of DNA) can cost thousands.

Its not like adding reagent A to reagent B and get a + or - like a pregnancy test.

The DNA has to be extracted and purified on one analyser and then the PCR takes place on another analyser. These machines can be as big as a washing machine.

Thanks.

I remember doing PCR tests in my student days, it was just mixing the primers and enzymes, the machine just controlled the temperature and timing.

The reagents must be pricey though.
    All of our viral testing goes to dublin.

I think in most countries, viral testing is centralised like that, so it can be overloaded with demand in cases like this.

Something to consider when interpreting the case numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It'll only take one missed case to kick it off.
    Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that we can't test everyone who comes back from abroad with a cough. The same way we don't test everyone returning from Africa with blood pouring out of their eyes for Ebola (ok ehrm maybe we do).

If someone does present at a hospital out of the blue with symptoms and is tested positive, we'll be chasing down and isolating their close contacts and containing it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

This virus must be airborne if the Iranians who caught it were in no contact with a Chinese or other foreign agent

tillyfilly wrote: »
    This virus must be airborne if the Iranians who caught it were in no contact with a Chinese or other foreign agent

No, there are a lot of mild cases out there that are not detected.

Consider also that testing is only done if you visited a country in Asia.

It makes sense that people will present with symptoms and then be tested. But with no travel history.

It's like an experiment in miscommunication.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1230600815536156673?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't really follow the logic of this statement. Why would it mean that it must be airborne?

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't really follow the logic of this statement. Why would it mean that it must be airborne?

Jet stream!

• Advertisement

My nerdy self is following this story from a view point of epidemiology.

Which is an imperfect science, as it relies on imperfect data.

The story of how cholera was detected from originating in a well in London in 1854 is fascinating, and provides a foundation of modern epidemiology.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow?wprov=sfla1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

igCorcaigh wrote:
    It's like an experiment in miscommunication.

Experiment in deception and information containment.

McGiver wrote: »
    Experiment in deception and information containment.

Or an attempt to conceal uncertainty for the sake of saving face?

Either way, a damaging policy which puts us all at harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

People here are actually stockpiling food and provisions because they foresee some kind of zombie apocalypse in the coming months.

Tinned food 30c a can in Aldi/Lidl. It's no harm really. I haven't started but given the data I would not dismiss the idea.

Would hate to be running for the supermarket if an outbreak here and the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Prime Time - segment on Corona Virus Episode about to start on RTE1

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Prime Time - Corona Virus Episode about to start on RTE 1

First time I've ever seen it being spoken about in that way on Irish media, that it is a potential and serious danger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

gozunda wrote: »
    Prime Time - Corona Virus Episode about to start on RTE1

Nope. All politics

aeroplanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

aeroplanes

Would it be possible for an Iranian national to travel on one of these devices?

Would it be possible for an Iranian national to travel on one of these devices?

such a mutation is possible

A 29 year old doctor in china has died from coronavirus

Kuwait and Iraq suspend flights to Iran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A 29 year old doctor in china has died from coronavirus

you must have some sort of alert of your phone about the coronvirus?

your breaking terrible news in here every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Nope. All politics

Segment after politics ...

MD1990 wrote: »

Must be Xi's personal number

MD1990 wrote: »

Just follow the Reddit page it's very active

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement