Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

8 more cases in Japan in 6 different regions, 3 of which are in Tokyo. Japan is the third country to reach over 100 cases, with 107 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

laurah591 wrote: »

This is a child abuse case, I don't believe there is anything linking this to the virus.
    That twitter account is really feeding off peoples fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Absolutely terrible.

tuxy wrote: »
    This is a child abuse case, I don't believe there is anything linking this to the virus.
    That twitter account is really feeding off peoples fears.

I kinda agree but still think that story is horrific and sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I kinda agree but still think that story is horrific and sad
    Absolutely. But it's not related to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I read somewhere, probably on here, that Africa still has limited ability to test - some countries still unable to test at all - and that there may be cases there that haven't been identified - seems reasonable considering how much Chinese business there is across the continent.

So I wondered what's happening in South America - again there's loads of business contact, and also a lot of Chinese fishing up the Pacific coast. Is there any screening in any of the countries with potential exposure? So far the only case I've seen reported was a woman in Honduras who had been in Taiwan.

Seems odd that the disease in spreading westwards but not eastwards.

tromtipp wrote: »
    I read somewhere, probably on here, that Africa still has limited ability to test - some countries still unable to test at all - and that there may be cases there that haven't been identified - seems reasonable considering how much Chinese business there is across the continent.

Every country in the world has limited ability to test.
    Some of the poorer African nations have no ability to test at all.
    In there countries there are many medial issues that are far more pressing than the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No, apparently they didn’t test them.

Surely they are in isolation though or self isolation

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy is taking strong measures, 3 small cities are now on lock down, almost 40K people in total. Anybody who traveled in the area in the last 14 days is required to self quarantine too
    I hope Ireland will be able to replicate this type of approach when the virus gets here

Are you forgetting that we have been told that we are special and that it wont be coming here? Chill; were safe, nothing can touch us because we have the HSE and they don't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f7c2c1/japan_reports_a_total_of_1296_pcr_tests_has_been/
    Japan has only tested a total of 532 people on the mainland !! They are certainly very relaxed about this anyway. Thats almost a 20% positive outcome of tesing, many smaller countries have performed several thousand tests already with less than ten positive results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

cnocbui wrote: »
    Are you forgetting that we have been told that we are special and that it wont be coming here? Chill; were safe, nothing can touch us because we have the HSE and they don't.

Irish people are inherently immune from bad news. It’s a science thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Surely they are in isolation though or self isolation
    I doubt it, tbh. Probably instructed to contact the HSE if they experience symptoms.

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f7c2c1/japan_reports_a_total_of_1296_pcr_tests_has_been/
    Japan has only tested a total of 532 people on the mainland !! They are certainly very relaxed about this anyway.

Don't worry they know what they are doing. They managed to turn one infection on a ship into only 600. They've got this infectious diseases control thing down pat.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I doubt it, tbh. Probably instructed to contact the HSE if they experience symptoms.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/

I’m not sure if this has always been there or just setup. Only issue is it’s not 24 hours, which may or may not be a big issue depending on whether you think we need one!

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Irish people are inherently immune from bad news. It’s a science thing.

Yes bad news is in very short supply, this is why we love it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ficheall wrote: »

Amazes that people need to be told to self isolate when it is really just common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Graces7 wrote: »
    Amazes that people need to be told to self isolate when it is really just common sense.

You'd be surprised how uncommon, common sense really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes bad news is in very short supply, this is why we love it so much.

I think it’s a human trait to be interested in bad news (this is different from how individuals react to it). Read a paper or watch news in any country and you will have a disproportionate amount of bad stories to good, even in relative good times. It’s basic supply and demand principle. Most people want to read or hear bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it’s a human trait to be interested in bad news (this is different from how individuals react to it). Read a paper or watch news in any country and you will have a disproportionate amount of bad stories to good, even in relative good times. It’s basic supply and demand principle. Most people want to read or hear bad news.

"If it bleeds it leads".
    - From a New York Magazine article in 1989 titled "Grins, Gore, and Videotape - The Trouble with Local TV News"

If you want good news turn to the back pages, assuming your team is doing well :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We're hardwired to pay attention to threats. We evolved that trait to help us survive. Bad news often involves things we perceive as threats.

Graces7 wrote: »

We are a country of people that goes to the doctors and asks for an antibiotic for a cold.

Its not that amazing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Regards Africa, only 6 labs that can test for 54 countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Italy is taking strong measures, 3 small cities are now on lock down, almost 40K people in total. Anybody who traveled in the area in the last 14 days is required to self quarantine too
    I hope Ireland will be able to replicate this type of approach when the virus gets here

Im due to head to rome on March 1st. Do you think I'd be ok or should I take the tin foil hate off

fritzelly wrote: »

This will become widespread throughout the world within a few weeks now except security services in the western world won't be as decisive as the Chinese have been.

Im due to head to rome on March 1st. Do you think I'd be ok or should I take the tin foil hate off

Definitely take the hate off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Parts of Iran are also experiencing a much colder than average winter this won't help with containing the spread of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Should be ok, if it was a couple of weeks later there might possibly be an issue.

• Advertisement

Lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

It's just the flu, bro..

School shut and disinfected down after teacher dies of flu and pneumonia.
    Her brother is still in hospital with the same flu and pneumonia..

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuakeFury/status/1230868233567318019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin Port faces 'huge cancellation of ships' as virus shutdowns bite ... Imports from China will plunge to next to nothing from next week, with disruptions potentially lasting for months, Irish shippers say.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/port-faces-huge-cancellation-of-ships-as-virus-shutdowns-bite-38966448.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    It's just the flu, bro..

Nothing to see here keep consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dublin Port faces 'huge cancellation of ships' as virus shutdowns bite ... Imports from China will plunge to next to nothing from next week, with disruptions potentially lasting for months, Irish shippers say.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/port-faces-huge-cancellation-of-ships-as-virus-shutdowns-bite-38966448.html

Between this stuff and that freezer truck that slipped through to the UK last year. I feel like a dodges a bullet when I turned down that job offer at Dublin Port last summer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f7czxf/dutch_cdc_is_handling_the_return_of_39_westerdam/
    Dutch government place 39 Dutch passengers from the Westerdam cruise on a public commercial airliner to Amsterdam after testing negative only once, passengers were not given any masks or monitored for symptoms and were not re-tested again

Considering how quickly it spread on the Princess Diamon and the fact that there have been many recorded false negatives it seems very irresponsible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

We're hardwired to pay attention to threats. We evolved that trait to help us survive. Bad news often involves things we perceive as threats.

Which is why the media mainly reports bad news and scaremongering storylines with half truths or outright lies. Many have been pointed out in this thread already.

Yet people are still linking completely unverified **** from randomers on reddit and twatter. The absolute bottom of the barrel for reliable news stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f7czxf/dutch_cdc_is_handling_the_return_of_39_westerdam/
    Dutch government place 39 Dutch passengers from the Westerdam cruise on a public commercial airliner to Amsterdam after testing negative only once, passengers were not given any masks or monitored for symptoms and were not re-tested again

few bong hits will sort them out once home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

No chance of ever getting bat-crazy soup in Ireland, you might get served bits of mouse tail over in UHG however.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0221/1116735-university-hospital-galway/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

BloodBath wrote: »
    Which is why the media mainly reports bad news and scaremongering storylines with half truths or outright lies. Many have been pointed out in this thread already.

Yet people are still linking completely unverified **** from randomers on reddit and twatter. The absolute bottom of the barrel for reliable news stories.

Yet a lot of people are also linking official/reliable sources and stats/trends and the picture is starting to become clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Solid confirmation of what everyone already has known for months: artificial, hap-hazard, and selective number juggling in China that acted too late and only when a Doc alerted the world. Considering the drastic confinement measures China has taken of course makes it abundantly clear that the situation is exponentially worse than depicted

Yet a lot of people are also linking official/reliable sources and stats/trends and the picture is starting to become clearer

I just hope we don't see SK figures double tomorrow. Will see stats tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

This scaremongering nonsense again. Are you that easily terrified of facts? Some Twitter stuff is fake or misrepresented but it's often a good source of timely info, often considerably quicker than traditional news mediums (TV, radio etc).

You obviously don't use it very often or are looking in the wrong places.

Considering how quickly it spread on the Princess Diamon and the fact that there have been many recorded false negatives it seems very irresponsible

I’m just finished up with a client who is setting up a company with a friend who returned from China 2 weeks ago. Went through Amsterdam and was surprised he wasn’t quarantined or stopped. It’s not overly surprising as it wasn’t on as many radars back then but it shows how easily it would be for many many more people to be all over the place before the authorities react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's just the flu, bro..

Two years ago my son was diagnosed with a strain of influenza .
    For two weeks we had to stay at home.
    Everyone had to take medication and at the end of two weeks we all had bloods taken and we're giving the all clear.
    My son's school was contacted and told to disinfect counter tops tables chairs and play area's.
    Measures like this already in place in Ireland and have been for a long time for certain strains of influenza.
    Sadly everything is now going to be blamed on the new virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yes and I didn't comment on those people did I?

You certainly aren't 1 of them though.

Several times you have completely misrepresented the stats.
    givyjoe wrote: »
    This scaremongering nonsense again. Are you that easily terrified of facts? Some Twitter stuff is fake or misrepresented but it's often a good source of timely info, often considerably quicker than traditional news mediums (TV, radio etc).

You obviously don't use it very often or are looking in the wrong places.

Why are you defending this crap? Do you want me to go back and link some of the bull**** people have been linking? I have no problem with factual sources.

I'm calling out bull**** on a thread with a lot of bull**** on it over a very serious matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It's just the flu, bro..

no comformation that as Covid-19

I understand the frustration over lack of accurate information on covid 19.
    But I don't think there is a need to post inaccurate scaremongering. There are so many twitter accounts feeding off of peoples fears and these account know people will react without even doing a simple google on these erroneous information posts.
    It's really impacting the signal to noise ratio which inhibits the reporting of real, important information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Yes and I didn't comment on those people did I?

You certainly aren't 1 of them though.

Several times you have completely misrepresented the stats.

Why are you defending this crap? Do you want me to go back and link some of the bull**** people have been linking? I have no problem with factual sources.

I'm calling out bull**** on a thread with a lot of bull**** on it over a very serious matter.

You referred to Twitter as twatter, implying that the entire platform is full of unreliable or fake info is clearly absurd. Go ahead and post some links, I'm sure I can post hundreds of posts of delusional ignorance of what's unfolding.

Edit: my bad. Couldnt see the the post you were quoting on the mobile.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement