Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

silverharp wrote: »
    there are some shortages, plus you have to factor in rough areas any excuse to loot

https://twitter.com/prasannavishy/status/1229611971638480896

In my day and age newspapers came in handy in the bathroom - snowflake generation stocking up on ultra soft toilet paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Beasty wrote: »
    I would hope a vaccine would be developed before a second "season"
    It might be. But it would probably only give temporary partial immunity like the flu vaccine does. My understanding is that the virus mutates very quickly, and infection or vaccination wouldn't give long term immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It is here, and next week we will hear that someone who tested negative, was tested again and has it.
    Any chance of next weeks winning lotto numbers too? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

fritzelly wrote: »
    In my day and age newspapers came in handy in the bathroom - snowflake generation stocking up on ultra soft toilet paper
    I only read newspapers on my MacBook, iPhone and iPad except on Sunday's when I get the Sunday Papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

hmmm wrote: »
    One week per the article. Incubation for most people seems to be 3 to 5 days, so that makes sense.

Cases in Italy are jumping up now, but that's to be expected as they test close contacts of known carriers. A lot of countries are going to have similar outbreaks which need to be tackled.

Doesnt make sense at all. The standard quarantine period has been 14 days due to the already established long incubation period of the virus.

Doesn't matter if most incubation is 3-5, some being, too much of a risk to take.

Any chance of next weeks winning lotto numbers too? :rolleyes:
    I ain't psychic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It might be. But it would probably only give temporary partial immunity like the flu vaccine does. My understanding is that the virus mutates very quickly, and infection or vaccination wouldn't give long term immunity.

Have mutation been confirmed already?

givyjoe wrote: »
    Doesnt make sense at all. The standard quarantine period has been 14 days due to the already established long incubation period of tjt virus.

Doesn't matter if most incubation is 3-5, some being more too much of a risk to take.
    Most countries place human welfare second to the welfare of the stock market. Perhaps one effect of a pandemic would be to make that more brutally blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Doesnt make sense at all. The standard quarantine period has been 14 days due to the already established long incubation period of tjt virus.

Doesn't matter if most incubation is 3-5, some being more too much of a risk to take.

I imagine it's a softly softly approach. If they announce a 3 week lockdown the cities will empty out and there's no controlling it. This way they get time to put some form of checks in place then extend the quarantine.. though I don't think it's possible to stop the spread for this virus.

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't know. I thought it had been. A quick Google shows some articles online saying it has been, but I've no idea if the sources are reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whats a newspaper grandpa :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

They're just taking people's word they're clear? That should be the story
    Anyway they haven't tested positive - yet...

I actually found it funny.

Not because of what she did. It was about the uproar on this thread about how the Chinese handling the quarantine by dragging suspected cases out of houses and barricading buildings not letting people out.

This is exactly why the Chinese took a zero tolerance approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This is the worst day for me so far. Thought this thing might be contained and we'd get a cluster of very small cases over the weeks or months but the sound of 50,000 in "lockdown" in Italy doesn't sound great does it. All too easy to imagine the same happening in Ire or UK. Really don't want to be alarmist but I have yet to see much positive news with this crap - with SARS and swine flu I never felt real danger to us in the west. Hopefully being tired and OTT!

P.S. I guess if you are searching for a crumb of comfort, these thousands of people sounds a lot but when it comes to total populations there will be millions upon millions of people unaffected. But it is a lottery we could do without!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

tuxy wrote: »

LOL!

Viruses mutate all the time, nothing to worry about.

RNA viruses like the common cold change each season. Must mutations are harmless.

I find it amazing that in our cells that there is a copy check mechanism, because it has two copies. So

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

whats a newspaper grandpa :D
    You'll have to use their Ipads in place of newspapers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I actually found it funny.

Not because of what she did. It was about the uproar on this thread about how the Chinese handling the quarantine by dragging suspected cases out of houses and barricading buildings not letting people out.

This is exactly why the Chinese took a zero tolerance approach

There's a few shades between asking people 'do you have the virus?' and welding your front door shut

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

and welding your front door shut

....not much use if it enters via the back passage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

there are some shortages, plus you have to factor in rough areas any excuse to loot

https://twitter.com/prasannavishy/status/1229611971638480896

Anyone know a good supplier of Asian toilet paper in which to invest?

FT seems bullish. :cool:

There's a few shades between asking people 'do you have the virus?' and welding your front door shut

This is the perfect example of not trusting people during a epidemic or pandemic.

These times require zero tolerance and marital law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    LOL!
    Viruses mutate all the time, nothing to worry about.
    Tell that to the Spanish Flu, wave 2 made the 1st look like a broken finger nail.

Late again with Hubei numbers - making sure they are not too scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyone know a good supplier of Asian toilet paper in which to invest?

FT seems bullish. :cool:

Most of our toilet paper is imported from the UK ...

Late again with Hubei numbers - making sure they are not too scary

What like how many people decided to show up at the hospital today?

Here in UK I was worried about no deal Brexit having an effect on medical supplies, food etc - that was a needless worry as clearly the politicians were never going to let it happen. Then this bloody thing comes along!

gozunda wrote: »
    Most of our toilet paper is imported from the UK ...
    You think Asian Jacks Paper is sold here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Twitter is the gift that keeps giving this evening. This absolute bell end of a woman lied about about clear on their test to get off her cruise ship.

https://twitter.com/livecrisisnews/status/1230975076322902022?s=19

What a prize twerp.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

fr336 wrote: »
    Here in UK I was worried about no deal Brexit having an effect on medical supplies, food etc - that was a needless worry as clearly the politicians were never going to let it happen. Then this bloody thing comes along!
    Brexit will have an effect on medical supplies. The uranium used to create cancer treatment is imported from France and has a 6 day shelf life.

Sorry for multiple posts but I've progressed from stage 1) Hopeful of avoiding it to stage 2) Hoping my older close relatives would be able to fight it :(

fr336 wrote: »
    Don't forget the (360bn) African locust plague, currently on it's way to China's Western border. Will likely turn and head for Yorkshire or somewhere, once it warms up a bit as the ice melts on the NorthPole and simultaneously Wormwood appears upon skies above.

In other news, the NHS there is rolling out home testing kits, to save people showing up at A&E, getting lost, and wandering around various hospital wards with the Kung-flu dry cough (like what happened last week).
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/02/nhs-statement-on-home-testing-for-coronavirus/

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Brexit will have an effect on medical supplies. The uranium used to create cancer treatment is imported from France and has a 6 day shelf life.

But it's now assumed we won't be going for a no deal Brexit. In any case it wouldn't happen till at least Dec 31st 2020, and if Coronavirus has had no major impact on us all by then I'd be feeling very grateful...

• Advertisement

Don't forget the (360bn) African locust plague, currently on it's way to China's Western border. Will likely turn and head for Yorkshire or somewhere, once it warms up a bit as the ice melts on the NorthPole and simultaneously Wormwood appears upon skies above.

In other news, the NHS there is rolling out home testing kits, to save people showing up at A&E, getting lost, and wandering around various hospital wards with the Kung-flu dry cough (like what happened last week).
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/02/nhs-statement-on-home-testing-for-coronavirus/

Yorkshire or somewhere lol, thanks for the positivity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Coronavirus has spread to the Chinese penal system

Thousands of prisoners affected, the death sentence for most.

On local Wollongong radio, news of Chinese military bases affected and are now in lock down.

If ya gonna do it Donny, now's the time to wage war on China. Just hold back on the ground troops for a while.

North Korea will be decimated as no resources/medical skills available for mass infections.

Another case in Italy, in Cremona.

The big chief at the WHO said today this is where were at:

nyPL1LB.png

Really it was at that stage last Monday fortnight, around 4pm.

CCP tells big chief how it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Feck it, reckon I will double/triple buy some stuff in tomorrow's Aldi shop. Would only take a few cases to break out here for it to be suddenly top of RTE news and panic to set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Feck it, reckon I will double/triple buy some stuff in tomorrow's Aldi shop. Would only take a few cases to break out here for it to be suddenly top of RTE news and panic to set in.

A few? more like 1

Checking Hubei gov site and no news - are they just releasing numbers for the whole of China now

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231015859168124928

Checking Hubei gov site and no news - are they just releasing numbers for the whole of China now

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231015859168124928

Guess what the fatality rate is....again

And another case in Italy but not to worry China's got it under control - next week the dead will be rising as their numbers mysteriously go into negative figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nothing to worry about, just a little update from the Imperial College London* centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis

Summary Report 6
    Since the start of the COVID-19 epidemic in late 2019, there are now 29 affected regions and countries with over 1000 confirmed cases outside of mainland China. In previous reports, we estimated the likely epidemic size in Wuhan City based on air traffic volumes and the number of detected cases internationally. Here we analysed COVID-19 cases exported from mainland China to different regions and countries, comparing the country-specific rates of detected and confirmed cases per flight volume to estimate the relative sensitivity of surveillance in different countries. Although travel restrictions from Wuhan City and other cities across China may have reduced the absolute number of travellers to and from China, we estimated that about two thirds of COVID-19 cases exported from mainland China have remained undetected worldwide, potentially resulting in multiple chains of as yet undetected human-to-human transmission outside mainland China.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/news--wuhan-coronavirus/

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

The disproportionate death rate between inside and outside of the epicentre gives me hope.

Outside it, at a glance it seems more like .3% rather than 2%.

And the sample size has gotten big enough now to make a call on that.

South Korea looks a bit fecked - 142 new cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

wylo wrote: »
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

The disproportionate death rate between inside and outside of the epicentre gives me hope.

Outside it, at a glance it seems more like .3% rather than 2%.

And the sample size has gotten big enough now to make a call on that.

3.5% in Hubei, 0.75% mainland China outside Hubei, 1% globally/internationally

I think it will turn out to be about 0.4-1% overall. Perhaps varying by country depending on the general health of citizens, age profile of the country, and standards of healthcare

The outcome of the infected patients on board the Princess Diamon will effectively prove exactly what the total mortality rate is though in the 50+ age group. I think its pretty obvious by now that the mortality rate in those under 40 is not any more than seasonal influenza.

Once it starts to get beyond bingo type of numbers for any country e.g. 88 cases, they're donald ducked.

Roll up the drawbridge there Róisín.

wakka12 wrote: »
    3.5% in Hubei, 0.75% mainland China outside Hubei, 1% globally/internationally

Is the 1% excluding Hubei or including it?

wylo wrote: »
    Is the 1% excluding Hubei or including it?

3.5% for Hubei only. 0.75% for all other Chinese provinces excluding Hubei.
    1% for all countries outside of China. 15 deaths outside China, 1500 cases, 1% exactly

Nearly 350 cases in South Korea now..10x the number of cases it had 48 hours ago

That super spreader wan really did a number on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

old_aussie wrote: »
    Coronavirus has spread to the Chinese penal system

Thousands of prisoners affected, the death sentence for most.

Since most people recover with no medical intervention how is this possible?
    Do China plan to execute all infected inmates?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement