Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is the perfect example of not trusting people during a epidemic or pandemic.

These times require zero tolerance and marital law.

Hope that is a typo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Flying to Milan at the moment, wish me luck. I'll bring you all back something nice.

Ye should be using bum guns / bidets / Japanese toilets, ye Neanderthals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stark wrote: »
    Flying to Milan at the moment, wish me luck. I'll bring you all back something nice.

41761277a6c514b0c6f611086abf238f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Covid 19 has killed 2251 people so far. Influenza has killed around 10000 in the US alone this season. We need a bit of perspective here.

This stupid comparison really needs to be put to bed. It's literally like saying 2 mins into Brazil playing San Marino, scores still level and what a great result it is. This thing is only weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

givyjoe wrote: »
    This stupid comparison really needs to be put to bed. It's literally like saying 2 mins into Brazil playing San Marino, scores still level and what a great result it is. This thing is only weeks old.

It’s not stupid.

People saying Covid 19 has a 2% death rate is actually stupid.

It’s not stupid.

People saying Covid 19 has a 2% death rate is actually stupid.

It's beyond stupid. Do you have any evidence to contradict this number? It's been stated multiple times that if too many people get infected at once, health systems will be overwhelmed and that mortality will increase significantly. Multiple sources, multiple times have stated the critical numbers to be around 1/5, even if its slightly less, this is still enough to overwhelm the Oxygen supplies/equipment needed. Why on earth do you think we are seeing such drastic measures never seen before?

Flu has been around for hundreds of years and traversed the world many times. This is a brand new virus in humans and is viral pneumonia NOT flu. This is the perspective that's needed, not stupidly comparing it to a long established less deadly viruses for which some vaccines are already available.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

The worrying trend of Coronavirus is unlike the flu it seems to be killing younger people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The British couple who were on the cruise ship and videoing their quarantine have developed pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Snap... It's doubled for the last 3 days :(

In other news +10 In Italy

Spreading like wildfire probably be 500 tomorrow

The British couple who were on the cruise ship and videoing their quarantine have developed pneumonia.

Hopefully they make a full recovery. Did they have any underlying issues that may cause complications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Its in Italy now with over 77,000 infected worldwide.

I’m finding it very hard to believe this started because some guy ate a bat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

it sound like they are going through hell....

From the BBC:

David and Sally Abel, a couple from Northamptonshire who were diagnosed with coronavirus on the cruise ship, have since been told they have pneumonia, their son said.

Appearing alongside wife Roberta, Steve Abel said in a YouTube video late on Friday evening that his father's condition was "very serious", while his mother has a more mild form of pneumonia.

He also said his "really distressed" parents called him to say they were being moved to a different hospital.

Mr Abel said: "They've gone from being told that they're going to have all these wonderful treatments, and 'we're going to wait over the next two or three days just to see how they respond to the treatments', and now all of a sudden they're being told 'we have to move you to a different hospital'."

He said his father is so "weak" he has been using a wheelchair, and has been told he could be put on a ventilator.

The couple criticised conditions at the new hospital, saying David and Sally only had a small basin and paper towels to clean themselves with no wi-fi access, and "neither of them can eat the food".

Mr Abel said his father's "exact words" to him were: "'This has to stop now, we can't take any more of this, it's like a prison."

Steve Abel's wife Roberta said she is "incredibly angry" with the Foreign Office's handling of David and Sally's case.

She claimed after twice phoning the Foreign Office to get updates on the couple's location and health, she received a call back about seven hours later and was told they had spoken to her father-in-law and that he "may or may not be going on a ventilator".

Conceding that the Foreign Office has to deal with multiple parties and the time difference, Roberta added: "...You're dealing with people whose parents are stuck in a country where English isn't their first language, their parents are scared, we don't know what's happening to them, we don't know if they're getting the right treatment, we didn't even know where they were this morning."

The couple said they are in "massive fight mode" and are "ready" to fly to Japan to bring David and Sally home, if it comes to it.

In the meantime, they are pushing for David and Sally to be allowed to fly back to the UK via air ambulance, so they can be "looked after properly".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

It just baffles me that this could have been contained 4 weeks ago when this thread was started. Surely trying to bolt the door after the horse has gone is far more costly to the economy.

But let’s not forget we will be grand:

Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

that is so shocking, with the Abel couple. You could get a real perspective with this how fast this sh** virus is letting people going from completely happy, healthy to dieing (hoping for the best for them!!) within what? 2-3 weeks? It's just 2-3 weeks ago they were completely healthy and happy-clappy optimisticly doing their videos from the ship. terrible.
    I'm not that easily to scare but this virus is really scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Their plea for Richard Branson to help didn't work with him launching his own cruise ship yesterday

It's beyond stupid. Do you have any evidence to contradict this number? It's been stated multiple times that if too many people get infected at once, health systems will be overwhelmed and that mortality will increase significantly. Multiple sources, multiple times have stated the critical numbers to be around 1/5, even if its slightly less, this is still enough to overwhelm the Oxygen supplies/equipment needed. Why on earth do you think we are seeing such drastic measures never seen before?

Flu has been around for hundreds of years and traversed the world many times. This is a brand new virus in humans and is viral pneumonia NOT flu. This is the perspective that's needed, not stupidly comparing it to a long established less deadly viruses for which some vaccines are already available.

Again bollox....

All your multiple sources have said that the real number is impossible to calculate as they don’t know how many people are infected.

Everything is currently running on people who seeked medical attention.

Analysis is suggesting that the 75k total confirmed cases could be only 5%-10% of the real number of cases.

That will drop the severe cases, critical cases and death rates to tiny numbers in comparison estimated infected.

The flu is a great comparison for estimates.

Cases and Death rate in flu, swine flu and bird flu are now run on estimates with 10s of millions

The CDC in the US only use estimates.

When COVID19 moves to this type of analysis of estimation and forecasting . The Severe, Critical and Death rate will fall through its arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

wellwhynot wrote: »
    It just baffles me that this could have been contained 4 weeks ago when this thread was started. Surely trying to bolt the door after the horse has gone is far more costly to the economy.

But let’s not forget we will be grand:

Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

Their priority has been to focus more on controlling people’s reactions ( panic) then proper measures and communication to the wider public. It’s ironic and sad given how easy it actually is to reach out to entire populations in this day and age. It’s possible to do that without causing panic.

People need to cop on and start educating themselves on this Because the authority’s won’t and the more people prepared will help if things get bad here. The conditions in other countries can happen here. Forced quarantine, confusion\fear because Of bad communication and general mistrust (who is infected, who can we trust) can and will happen if we keep treating what’s going on like the virus that should not be named. Now is the time for authority’s to start educating and preparing people for the how things might play out.

Fear and panic comes as much from the unknown and unplanned as it does for anything else. Has a pampered society like ours ever been as unprepared for such a shock to our systems? I’ve never been force quarantined. I’ve never really had to stock up on stuff. I’ve never had to be careful when going to the shops or even being around my own family. Not since I lived with my parents have I not had to worry about getting an income to take care of myself. Anything that might arise out of this virus taking hold in this country I don’t believe most of us have any idea of what it will be like.

• Advertisement

Ireland don't really care about the Health of people anyway it probably here already they took foot and mouth more seriously

Drumpot wrote: »
    Their priority has been to focus more on controlling people’s reactions ( panic) then proper measures and communication to the wider public. It’s ironic given how easy it actually is to reach out to entire populations in this day and age. It’s possible to do that without causing panic.

People need to cop on and start educating themselves on this Because the authority’s won’t and the more people prepared will help if things get bad here. The conditions in other countries can happen here. Forced quarantine, confusion\fear because Of bad communication and general mistrust (who is infected, who can we trust) can and will happen if we keep treating what’s going on like the virus that should not be named. Now is the time for authority’s to start educating and preparing people for the how things might play out.

Fear and panic comes as much from the unknown and unplanned as it does for anything else. Has a pampered society like ours ever been as unprepared for such a shock to our systems? I’ve never been force quarantined. I’ve never really had to stock up on stuff. I’ve never had to be careful when going to the shops or even being around my own family. Not since I lived with my parents have I not had to worry about getting an income to take care of myself. Anything that might arise out of this virus taking hold in this country I don’t believe most of us have any idea of what it will be like.
    It ll be like world war 3 here if people go into quarantine they went crazy for 2 days of snow over Brennan's bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sky are just saying that a second Italian has died, didn't say age

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sean 18 wrote: »
    The worrying trend of Coronavirus is unlike the flu it seems to be killing younger people

Incorrect, influenza kills the old and also younger people with pre-existing conditions.
    Covid-19 does the same thing only with a higher fatality rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

“Several patients of the deadly coronavirus in China who were discharged from care are testing positive for COVID-19 again, according to Chinese state media.”

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/World-News/2020/02/21/COVID-19-reinfection-cases-on-the-rise-in-China/4291582219521/

Reading the full article it seems more like a case of people being discharged from hospital before full recovery. It's relapse rather than reinfection
    Relapse can be deadly if it happens right after a 3 weeks of intensive care

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah Jesus that’s brutal, poor divil. Scary how good they were then boom

Again bollox....

All your multiple sources have said that the real number is impossible to calculate as they don’t know how many people are infected.

Everything is currently running on people who seeked medical attention.

Analysis is suggesting that the 75k total confirmed cases could be only 5%-10% of the real number of cases.

That will drop the severe cases, critical cases and death rates to tiny numbers in comparison estimated infected.

The flu is a great comparison for estimates.

Cases and Death rate in flu, swine flu and bird flu are now run on estimates with 10s of millions

The CDC in the US only use estimates.

When COVID19 moves to this type of analysis of estimation and forecasting . The Severe, Critical and Death rate will fall through its arse.

If the flu is such a great comparison, then we can expect 10's of millions of deaths of per year, at least. Yeah, nothing to worry about. Again, utterly stupid and naive comparisons to make naive people feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sean 18 wrote: »
    It ll be like world war 3 here if people go into quarantine they went crazy for 2 days of snow over Brennan's bread

Which is why many of us are quietly and carefully stocking up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

If the flu is such a great comparison, then we can expect 10's of millions of deaths of per year, at least. Yeah, nothing to worry about. Again, utterly stupid and naive comparisons to make naive people feel better.

people are still in denial, the penny will drop eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    people are still in denial, the penny will drop eventually
    It's a wonder how anyone can be in denial with all the experts and sages on here advising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Well in fairness you'd have to be incredibly dense to still be in denial.

silverharp wrote: »
    Sky are just saying that a second Italian has died, didn't say age

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/italy-reports-first-coronavirus-death-as-infections-worldwide-pass-77-000-11940004

An article i read yesterday in an Italian publication stated that it was only when the index patients wife mentioned a dinner he had with a Chinese colleague in January that the Italian authorities decided to test him

Cant find additional info 're 2nd Italian death outside the attached. Updated on Worldometeea but not sourced. Not updated on BNO yet.. they must be asleep

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44208921

Sweden way ahead of the curve on this

— Think about how you and people around you will be able to cope with a situation in which society's normal services are not working as they usually do
    — In 2016, Germany advised people to stockpile food and water for use in a national emergency. It suggested storing enough food to last for 10 days as well as five days' worth of wate

Nothing to stop us from using this as an opportunity to do same right now

With bird flu there was panic, with swine flu there was panic. These have not gone away.

There is no panic now when they are classified as seasonal viruses now.

You can panic all you want if it makes you feel safer.

To me it’s something that will be downgraded soon enough. To you it’s Armageddon.

— Think about how you and people around you will be able to cope with a situation in which society's normal services are not working as they usually do
    — In 2016, Germany advised people to stockpile food and water for use in a national emergency. It suggested storing enough food to last for 10 days as well as five days' worth of wate

I have a freezer full of food, probably enough for months.
    It's not stockpiling, it's just convenient to not have to do a large shop every week.

Is that completely worthless since it requires electricity?
    Should I be buying a generator and a few hundred litres of fuel for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

If you are in your 70s best to stay put and sit this one out for a while and not be taking and cruises or holidays -imho

tuxy wrote: »
    I have a freezer full of food, probably enough for months.
    It's not stockpiling, it's just convenient to not have to do a large shop every week.

Is that completely worthless since it requires electricity?
    Should I be buying a generator and a few hundred litres of fuel for it?

Months?!

I don’t know TBH. I’m reading up on foods that last long without needing too much care. Pasta, tins and crackers etc.

Everything’s a sort of gamble at this stage. If electricity does become an issue in a few months ( no indications it has in other countries yet) a generator will look like a wise investment. Even if it doesn’t happen now if I kept months of food in a fridge I’d probably consider it worthwhile having something in case there is a prolonged power outage even from a storm!

Months?!

I don’t know TBH. I’m reading up on foods that last long without needing too much care. Pasta, tins and crackers etc.

Everything’s a sort of gamble at this stage. If electricity does become an issue in a few months ( no indications it has in other countries yet) a generator will look like a wise investment. Even if it doesn’t happen now if I kept months of food in a fridge I’d probably consider it worthwhile having something in case there is a prolonged power outage even from a storm!

Yes months worth, sometimes a full cows worth of meat + other random stuff.
    It would have to be a very long storm for it to start to defrost unless I left the lid open.

• Advertisement

It's the opposite in Vietnam. Some food's getting cheaper because it can't be exported to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just as a matter of interest, what are Sweden doing now that is so far ahead of us regarding coronavirus?

The consensus here is that the HSE and the government are a joke and a disgrace and there is an impending collapse of the healthcare service. What are they doing differently in Sweden regarding coronavirus?

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=7394527
    Swedish state epidemiologist says the "virus does not pose a threat in Sweden". Are they a banana republic also?

They had a case, the lady self isolated. She wasn't stopped coming back from China. She wasn't tested until she contacted authorities.

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I went searching for that "reinfection" thing and no evidence for it. All the evidence currently points to immunity after infection.

Li QinGyuan, director of pneumonia prevention and treatment at China Japan Friendship Hospital in Beijing, said a protective antibody is generated in those who are infected.

"However, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long," Li said. "For many patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of relapse."

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4804905002

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes months worth, sometimes a full cows worth of meat + other random stuff.
    It would have to be a very long storm for it to start to defrost unless I left the lid open.

Each to their own I suppose. As I’ve said here before, I work in the insurance industry and that’s all about spending money to mitigate the implications of an unforeseen/unplanned event.

Nobody Really thinks their gonna die or get seriously ill. I see this the same way in that many people don’t want to comprehend what might happen if things get bad here so choose to either ignore what seems now to be inevitable or get angry at those trying to discuss it. I see a similar reaction from some people when I talk about the mortality of their partner or themselves during client meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scrabbles38

Li QinGyuan, director of pneumonia prevention and treatment at China Japan Friendship Hospital in Beijing, said a protective antibody is generated in those who are infected.

"However, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long," Li said. "For many patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of relapse."

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4804905002

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

Yeah there is a chance, but none reported so far... the article you posted was not about reinfected people... but you stated it was..

Just as a matter of interest, what are Sweden doing now that is so far ahead of us regarding coronavirus?

The consensus here is that the HSE and the government are a joke and a disgrace and there is an impending collapse of the healthcare service. What are they doing differently in Sweden regarding coronavirus?

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=7394527
    Swedish state epidemiologist says the "virus does not pose a threat in Sweden". Are they a banana republic also?

They had a case, the lady self isolated. She wasn't stopped coming back from China. She wasn't tested until she contacted authorities.

These countries have already communicated information to its Population In advance of a crisis. That’s more then our authorities In this country, thus ahead of the curve. Regardless of who read the Information, they already started education and showed it was an important thing for their population to be mindful of. We are going be reactive in this regard, not proactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

3rd death in South Korea as cases rise to 433. Appears to be increasing even quicker than it did in Wuhan in early January

Yeah there is a chance, but none reported so far... the article you posted was not about reinfected people... but you stated it was..

You can't seriously expect people to read more than the headlines?

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it has slowed down in Singapore & Japan atm which is good.

Is South Korea in total lockdown yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

These countries have already communicated information to its Population In advance of a crisis. That’s more then our authorities In this country, thus ahead of the curve. Regardless of who read the Information, they already started education and showed it was an important thing for their population to be mindful of. We are going be reactive in this regard, not proactive.

HSE have issued statements and requested that people use common sense in regards to hygine etc.
    Hand wash dispensers are installed in collages, hospitals and most public places that they can
    Outside of causing widespread fear and panic, what else should they do.?

wakka12 wrote: »
    3rd death in South Korea as cases rise to 433. Appears to be increasing even quicker than it did in Wuhan in early January

Where did you see this confirmed? Was looking for a source article

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement