Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

laurah591 wrote: »
    Where did you see this confirmed? Was looking for a source article

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

that is legit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Drumpot wrote: »

This is an interesting article

There could be a few, 100s, 1000s , 10s of thousands, 100s of thousands , millions, or 10s of millions of people like her at the moment who have 0 symptoms but would test positive if found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

With bird flu there was panic, with swine flu there was panic. These have not gone away.

There is no panic now when they are classified as seasonal viruses now.

You can panic all you want if it makes you feel safer.

To me it’s something that will be downgraded soon enough. To you it’s Armageddon.

What panic? I see no panic here at all. I see concern and caring and a willingness to be ready for whatever happens, or not. A responsible, mature and practical attitude to world events.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

MD1990 wrote: »

Agreed - 3rd death comment was what i was trying to verify

As an aside...TinFoil Hat time :) I think the WHO got BNO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

laurah591 wrote: »
    Where did you see this confirmed? Was looking for a source article

Someone posted Third "potential coronavirus death in Korea"

Then many have now taken that as confirmed.

Once it's confirmed by a poster on twitter then it soon be confirmed by a poster on here.

That's how most info on this thread is generated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is an interesting article

There could be a few, 100s, 1000s , 10s of thousands, 100s of thousands , millions, or 10s of millions of people like her at the moment who have 0 symptoms but would test positive if found.

The cruise ship passengers will show how common it is, a few days ago it said 70 passengers tested positive but were asymptomatic. I don't know if it just meant they are in incubation phase or not

cadaliac wrote: »
    HSE have issued statements and requested that people use common sense in regards to hygine etc.
    Hand wash dispensers are installed in collages, hospitals and most public places that they can
    Outside of causing widespread fear and panic, what else should they do.?

Thank you I have been saying this for days to no avail. Folk seem hell bent on blaming HSE who are following EU and WHO guidelines,

I also made reference to the HSE statement you can read on the RTE news site but no one was listening. They are covering all bases at this stage of the situation.

Now this IS a panic reaction ! Not reading etc

tuxy wrote: »
    Someone posted Third "potential coronavirus death in Korea"

Then many have now taken that as confirmed.

Once it's confirmed by a poster on twitter then it soon be confirmed by a poster on here.

That's how most info on this thread is generated.

Ah now Tuxy, I haven't seen much unconfirmed stuff presented as gospel here, thats a little harsh ... monkey covers eyes emoiji

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

HSE have issued statements and requested that people use common sense in regards to hygine etc.
    Hand wash dispensers are installed in collages, hospitals and most public places that they can
    Outside of causing widespread fear and panic, what else should they do.?

Most people not following this are unaware of any of these measures they have been taking.

So there is no way of communicating better with the public without causing panic? There is absolutely nothing else that can be done to Better prepare people without being hysterical and causing panic? I really hope that’s not the kind of thinking behind the scenes, if you can’t communicate with the public before a crisis then I would worry how you would do it during a crisis.

Graces7 wrote: »
    What panic? I see no panic here at all. I see concern and caring and a willingness to be ready for whatever happens, or not. A responsible, mature and practical attitude to world events.

Grace. People are searching for videos and articles of worse case scenarios and posting them as fact.

All the professionals are saying current analytics are not correct as it’s impossible to know if you tested the world population now, How many cases would there be.

A question for you Grace.... Have you ever been put off travelling during the winter or spring time?

• Advertisement

Thank you I have been saying this for days to no avail. Folk seem hell bent on blaming HSE who are following EU and WHO guidelines,

I also made reference to the HSE statement you can read on the RTE news site but no one was listening. They are covering all bases at this stage of the situation.

Now this IS a panic reaction ! Not reading etc

Totally disagree TBH, only people who have been following this crisis have paid any attention to the HSE warnings. Most friends, family and clients I’ve spoken with are oblivious of any of this. People only pay attention to warnings or caution when they perceive a threat. “Nothing to worry“ about in Ireland sends a conflicting message, so people don’t worry and don’t take protective measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

As Chris Hatfield would say:
    To me, it’s simple: if you’ve got the time, use it to get ready. What else could you possibly have to do that’s more important? Yes, maybe you’ll learn how to do a few things you’ll never wind up actually needing to do, but that’s a much better problem to have than needing to do something and having no clue where to start.

Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That’s not panicking. That’s having a mature approach.

tom1ie wrote: »
    To me, it’s simple: if you’ve got the time, use it to get ready. What else could you possibly have to do that’s more important? Yes, maybe you’ll learn how to do a few things you’ll never wind up actually needing to do, but that’s a much better problem to have than needing to do something and having no clue where to start.

Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That’s not panicking. That’s having a mature approach.

That’s a mindset..

So what are you doing at this moment to prepare for COVID19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Ok, outside of this thread:
    If you ask anyone about the virus, (coronavirus, or whatever name you wish to call it) do you think that anyone would answer that they haven’t heard of it, or haven’t a clue what you are talking about?
    Do you honestly think that the general population of Ireland is unaware ?
    We have no confirmed cases. The HSE are following protocol. The news is updating (yes albeit infrequently) and there is plenty of information online.
    Some on here are almost thriving on this as being a pandemic. I do understand and realise the potential that this has, but currently, there is no pandemic. There is no need to panic.
    Issuing scaremongering statements like the red tops, will do nothing to prepare the population of Ireland for any crisis. That is my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

tom1ie wrote: »

It is also a mental way to spend your day to day life.

Between preparing for the storm tomorrow, the snow on Tuesday, and Armageddon virus any day now, I dont know where you'd find the energy.

If you ask anyone about the virus, (coronavirus, or whatever name you wish to call it) do you think that anyone would answer that they haven’t heard of it, or haven’t a clue what you are talking about?
    We have no confirmed cases. The HSE are following protocol. The news is updating (yes albeit infrequently) and there is plenty of information online.
    Some on here are almost thriving on this as being a pandemic. I do understand and realise the potential that this has, but currently, there is no pandemic. There is no need to panic.
    Issuing scaremongering statements like the red tops, will do nothing to prepare the population of Ireland for any crisis. That is my point.

Some posters here are not looking for facts. They depend on the fear factor of the unknown.

Scientific analysis say to take the severe, critical and death percentages with a pinch of salt.

Many posters are saying these numbers are fact.

Blud wrote: »

Between preparing for the storm tomorrow, the snow on Tuesday, and Armageddon virus any day now, I dont know where you'd find the energy.

Yes, I really don't see why someone in Ireland would priorities this over something that has a much higher chance of harming them.

Knowing of the virus and knowing the potential Knock on effects (including severe restrictions on movement) if it does take off in Ireland are two completely different things.

I refute the suggestion that it’s panicking to state that more could be done to prepare and educate people. Like shown, some countries have communicated information to their population in advance of a crisis, not just waiting for a crisis.

I also refute the insinuation that it’s not possible to be better prepared or communicate more without causing panic. A simple communication protocol (even have their own updates on 6—1 news every day or so) allows the authority’s to control the narrative in an age of social media where panic will ensue due to fake news.

I think these basic protocols are just the bare minimum from our authority’s. I’m not just picking on the HSE btw, there appears to be no other authority Doing much to be fair. Some day there will be a crisis in this country, I think regardless of how this plays out, it’s a great opportunity to use it to improve our response and our own protocols.

Start with a bunker..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have a spare room in my house, over the last couple of weeks while out shopping I have framed a few extra things for me and my 8 year old son, 18 x 2 litres of water (3 x 6 packs) - 3 KG of Pasta, 1.5 KG of rice, tinned food (beans, spam, spaghetti, rice pudding etc) Flour and other long life non perishable foods. Total cost has been about £30/£40 for this, if this virus is bought under control and it isnt needed then it will get used over the coming months with no waste.

This isn't panic buying or scaremongering in any way, it's just being a little more prepared just in case there is a situation where we may need to stay indoors for a few weeks to ensure our safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Let me stop you for a second here
    Italy had 3 confirmed cases until yesterday, all 3 had been locked in a hospital since end of January and had virtually no contact with anybody ever since
    Then in just 1 day the count goes up to 35 infected people.
    Having no confirmed cases doesn't exclude the virus from being already here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy had 3 confirmed cases until yesterday, all 3 had been locked in a hospital since end of January and had virtually no contact with anybody ever since

With a potential 3 to 4 week period before being symptomatic. It could have been here weeks ago. It's clearly gonna spread everywhere. The economic impact will be more severe I think.

Most humans live day to day with little in the way of supplies or medical safety net. Supply chain breakdown is what people in power are afraid of. I see panic coming. Maybe nothing to stop it.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    With a potential 3 to 4 week period before being symptomatic. It could have been here weeks ago. It's clearly gonna spread everywhere. The economic impact will be more severe I think.

Most humans live day to day with little in the way of supplies or medical safety net. Supply chain breakdown is what people in power are afraid of. I see panic coming. Maybe nothing to stop it.

Personally I doubt there will be a supply chain break down. Wuhan has been locked down for 2 months and shops are still being replenished daily.
    The virus seems to affect only 20% of people, the rest will have mild to no symptoms and will carry on their day to day life

Actually up at 41 now with 2 deaths.... a pretty quick deterioration. [Like seriously how do you go from 3 to... 2 unrelated deaths, 2 critical condition, 14 serious condition in 24 hours]

Really wouldn't be surprised to see clusters emerge around Europe inc Irl but only when (unfortunately) the virus meets an older person or immunocompromised. Probs no harm for more at risk groups being extra vigilante (not talking locking themselves away - more over regularly washing hands, have a hand sanitiser in the pocket if travelling on public transport and maybe avoiding sick people for the time being). I wouldn't consider any of this OTT, just practical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BanditLuke wrote: »
    On a serious note can you imagine the amount of pure misery that Joe would ring out of any Covid19 outbreak here on a large scale :(

Liveline probably renamed to Sickline.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    It's beyond stupid. Do you have any evidence to contradict this number? It's been stated multiple times that if too many people get infected at once, health systems will be overwhelmed and that mortality will increase significantly. Multiple sources, multiple times have stated the critical numbers to be around 1/5, even if its slightly less, this is still enough to overwhelm the Oxygen supplies/equipment needed. Why on earth do you think we are seeing such drastic measures never seen before?

Flu has been around for hundreds of years and traversed the world many times. This is a brand new virus in humans and is viral pneumonia NOT flu. This is the perspective that's needed, not stupidly comparing it to a long established less deadly viruses for which some vaccines are already available.

It's not viral pneumonia. Viral pneumonia can be a secondary effect of the virus.

Somebody was talking about buying a generator. I mean. Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

While I agree with a bit of stockpiling for peace of mind - a generator was a bit crazy. It might turn out to not be but initially it sounds it!

Most people not following this are unaware of any of these measures they have been taking.

So there is no way of communicating better with the public without causing panic? There is absolutely nothing else that can be done to Better prepare people without being hysterical and causing panic? I really hope that’s not the kind of thinking behind the scenes, if you can’t communicate with the public before a crisis then I would worry how you would do it during a crisis.

There is no expected crisis. Like genuinely, it's nothing for people.in Ireland to be particularly worried about at the moment.

I was joking about the generator.

• Advertisement

A month ago people buying masks were being laughed at. Now masks are nowhere to be found

Sure, wouldn't that be a good sign that the virus is overhyped that we don't even know it's here. Thanks for the reassurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thinking back to.the Swine Flu Pandemic in 2009/2010 where Tamiflu was prescribed to patients - does this or similar medication help with Coronavirus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

What a silly post Italy and Ireland have noting in common.
    Ireland is well prepared in the very unlikely event of this virus coming here.

TOP BULLET POINTS

Italy does not have the excellent HSE with its well organised and efficient accident and emergency departments the envy of the world.

People in Italy are not use to dealing with events like snow that limit mobility and supply chains Ireland has seen a number of these events with no panic buying or crime people in Italy people really love bread for example and this would be sold out in an instant where as here in Ireland people would just buy what they need and not empty the shelves for shellfish reasons.

People in Italy do not have the same community sprit as people living in Ireland.
    When there was snow here young people went around to all the old people to make sure they had all the essentials cars that had to be abandoned were left alone and not interfered with.

Young New Irish communities even helped out with supplies for the old and vulnerable by getting Lidl to open up especially for the evening in one area were there was a run on food and drink.

I am sure we can all be confident that Ireland is going to be just grand.

Grace. People are searching for videos and articles of worse case scenarios and posting them as fact.

All the professionals are saying current analytics are not correct as it’s impossible to know if you tested the world population now, How many cases would there be.

A question for you Grace.... Have you ever been put off travelling during the winter or spring time?

As I have posted way back, I am housebound etc, so that question does not apply. In this situation I would take great care though were I free to travel , in such a mobile and developing situation. Just common sense. Nothing that could not wait until this had cleared.

Yes I know what folk are doing and that is not per se panic. They know that .

This is a wait and see situation, while making preparations in case the worst happens to avoid being a liability if it goes bad. Again not panic but being responsible.

A month ago people buying masks were being laughed at. Now masks are nowhere to be found

Yes because of idiots buying them that do not need them.
    The panic buying is causing issues for those that do.

Well, they don't work so its not much loss.

Their priority has been to focus more on controlling people’s reactions ( panic) then proper measures and communication to the wider public. It’s ironic and sad given how easy it actually is to reach out to entire populations in this day and age. It’s possible to do that without causing panic.

People need to cop on and start educating themselves on this Because the authority’s won’t and the more people prepared will help if things get bad here. The conditions in other countries can happen here. Forced quarantine, confusion\fear because Of bad communication and general mistrust (who is infected, who can we trust) can and will happen if we keep treating what’s going on like the virus that should not be named. Now is the time for authority’s to start educating and preparing people for the how things might play out.

Fear and panic comes as much from the unknown and unplanned as it does for anything else. Has a pampered society like ours ever been as unprepared for such a shock to our systems? I’ve never been force quarantined. I’ve never really had to stock up on stuff. I’ve never had to be careful when going to the shops or even being around my own family. Not since I lived with my parents have I not had to worry about getting an income to take care of myself. Anything that might arise out of this virus taking hold in this country I don’t believe most of us have any idea of what it will be like.

So you take a deep breath, square your shoulders, and do what needs doing. A learning curve! Same as all of us have to do at some time in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I'm still laughing at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »

Jesus, that last paragraph sums up a lot of the sentiment on here. "Supply chain breakdown", "panic", 'nothing to stop it". All you're missing is "immovable object Vs. unstoppable force" and you'd have a Hollywood script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Whether or not Covid19 turns out to be threat to people in Ireland, we have been told before (notably two years ago during the big snow) that households should routinely have enough supplies of food, water and meds for ten days or so, some sources of light and heat in case of power cuts, and a battery operated radio so that we can stay informed. People with responsibility for others usually know that anyway. I do wonder whether some of the people saying that this is a crazy mindset are very young and used to having someone who can bail them out in a crisis.

It isn't about panicking, it isn't about fear, it's about being responsible. Living long enough to have had repeated experiences of being locked in by weather or illness helps focus the mind.

People in the country, in windy areas that get* frequent power cuts, who pump their own water, often have generators. Again, not panic - experience + common sense.

*This doesn't happen as often as it used to, the ESB have upgraded the supply lines.

These countries have already communicated information to its Population In advance of a crisis. That’s more then our authorities In this country, thus ahead of the curve. Regardless of who read the Information, they already started education and showed it was an important thing for their population to be mindful of. We are going be reactive in this regard, not proactive.

drumpot, HSE did! It was all over RTE news site here online. How did you miss it? It was a very detailed report. Largely dictated by the EU and WHO.
    I read it and stopped worrying. Sorry I cannot link on this system .

It's good to seem many posters now calling out some of the scaremongering that has been going on in this thread for some time.
    It should help improve the amount of useful factual information.

tromtipp wrote: »
    Whether or not Covid19 turns out to be threat to people in Ireland, we have been told before (notably two years ago during the big snow) that households should routinely have enough supplies of food, water and meds for ten days or so, some sources of light and heat in case of power cuts, and a battery operated radio so that we can stay informed. People with responsibility for others usually know that anyway. I do wonder whether some of the people saying that this is a crazy mindset are very young and used to having someone who can bail them out in a crisis.

It isn't about panicking, it isn't about fear, it's about being responsible. Living long enough to have had repeated experiences of being locked in by weather or illness helps focus the mind.

People in the country, in windy areas that get* frequent power cuts, who pump their own water, often have generators. Again, not panic - experience + common sense.

*This doesn't happen as often as it used to, the ESB have upgraded the supply lines.

Did you or I write this! lol.... I think city folk have a different mindset altogether, and will find any situation harder.

There is no expected crisis. Like genuinely, it's nothing for people.in Ireland to be particularly worried about at the moment.

You can be not overly worried and equally be prepared/informed. The more people informed the less likely it is to become a crisis and if it does become a crisis more people will panic less as they know what to expect.

Again, if people think there is absolutely no better way our authority’s can communicate with the public right now, without causing panic, how exactly do you expect these same authorities to communicate and promote calm if things do get worse?

A lot of people will react with “ I thought there was nothing to be particularly worried about” because that’s the message they are getting.

So you take a deep breath, square your shoulders, and do what needs doing. A learning curve! Same as all of us have to do at some time in our lives.

I’m doing what I can graces7 and appreciate the advice you have given me.

That's good advice for vulnerable people, the old or those with poor immune systems.
    A healthy person can easily survive 10 days on a miniscule amount of calories and will stay warm just fine with a few blankets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Utter tosh Irish young people are well prepared for this.
    By the tone of you post you would think Irish youth were all self entitled little snowflakes who are all glued to their smartphones or something.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BanditLuke wrote: »

5 deaths and 28 cases in a country of 81 million people and you're calling things bleak. Come on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement