Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://m.jpost.com/Breaking-News/SKorea-reports-142-additional-coronavirus-cases-brings-total-to-34-618364
    Concern in Israel as it emerges 9 infected South Koreans recently spent a week long holiday there

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51582186
    Testing beginning on all members of the South Korean church cult. Over 400 more members are showing symptoms

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200222-03281105-soon-l09
    A woman who tested negative on the Diamon Princess two days ago has now tested positive. One thousand other passengers were yesterday released from the ship into the general population after having tested negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://m.jpost.com/Breaking-News/SKorea-reports-142-additional-coronavirus-cases-brings-total-to-34-618364
    Concern in Israel as it emerges 9 infected South Koreans recently S pent a week long holiday there

Jesus now it's serious.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Screen-Shot-2020-02-22-at-13-44-36.png

Thanks for fixing my post, i couldnt figure out how to add the pic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A woman who tested negative on the Diamon Princess two days ago has now tested positive. Hundreds of other passengers were yesterday released from the ship after having only one negative test

:eek::(
    I don't even know what to say... that test seems to be giving false sense of confidence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭jackboy

Doesn't Ireland produce enough for food for over thirty million people? It's countries like the UK that actually have to import.

Describe to me how the supply chain in Ireland could be easily broken to the point where food runs out.

Of course we could stop exporting food and confiscate from farmers and industry for distribution amongst the population. The issues with that and slowing of the vast amount of imported food would quickly cause shortages.

Less farmers on larger farms are bad for self sufficiency. The food supply chain is precarious, even in Ireland. How much veg is ready for harvesting in the fields now? What’s in the supermarkets would not last long.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Thanks for fixing my post, i couldnt figure out how to add the pic :rolleyes:

No problem some people on here will never click on a link.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why haven’t the WHO classed this as a ‘pandemic’?

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Who is that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

If only that worked in Singapore and Thailand...

...It is? I'm pretty sure the case are in double digits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

A pandemic is when there are epidemics in multiple continents. Any epidemics that have been identified are still in Asian countries.

Because, whats the point. It wont change anything and will just make people act stupidly and panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Concern in Israel as it emerges 9 infected South Koreans recently spent a week long holiday there

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51582186
    Testing beginning on all members of the South Korean church cult. Over 400 more members are showing symptoms

A woman who tested negative on the Diamon Princess two days ago has now tested positive. Hundreds of other passengers were yesterday released from the ship after having only one negative test

Yeah, Isreal could be a bad sitch as they are in a constant war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Grace. People are searching for videos and articles of worse case scenarios and posting them as fact.

All the professionals are saying current analytics are not correct as it’s impossible to know if you tested the world population now, How many cases would there be.

A question for you Grace.... Have you ever been put off travelling during the winter or spring time?

You agree we don't enough data on virus, and the experts say its likely a global pandemic and in the us CDC says it's a "tremendous public health threat", I can look up all the other bodies saying how serious it is. And you agree we don't have good data on it...? So what's your point? You are assuming this will be more like the flu than SARS. And yet we're told we're wannabe experts for saying the situation appears to be pretty serious.

Outside of the actual death rate, it is causing 1/10th of the world to shut down. And when in your life have you heard of these kinds of quarantines becoming ubiquitous? There's so much to this story but because it's not at our front door, discussing it is panic. Speculating is panic. But saying it is no big deal - which seems to be a minority opinion of experts and public health bodies - is the true picture. Even though we see a pattern (in Italy and Iran) of everything being fine until it isn't.

Sick of being told we're wannabe experts when others who want to downplay it make outlandish claims to show how not concerned they are like 'we will not get a case" "the death rate is less than 1% guaranteed". etc. yet have you seen any expert or body say that? Whereas most of the people discussing the facts (which by their nature sound serious) are just as calm and there has been almost no misinformation in this thread considering it's size and how many people have contributed. Maybe all the governments are panicking too, I'm open to that and I'm not ruling out that it will be milder. Though I've seen more certainty from the people who declare to be mild on average.

• Advertisement

Italy has now 50 cases, it's the 6th most infected country in the world. But it's also one of the very few that is testing thousands of people right now to assess the situation

A pandemic is when there are epidemics in multiple continents. Any epidemics that have been identified are still in Asian countries.

Italy is certainly not in Asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jackboy wrote: »
    Of course we could stop exporting food and confiscate from farmers and industry for distribution amongst the population. The issues with that and slowing of the vast amount of imported food would quickly cause shortages.
    Less farmers on larger farms are bad for self sufficiency. The food supply chain is precarious, even in Ireland. How much veg is ready for harvesting in the fields now? What’s in the supermarkets would not last long.

I remember from no-deal Brexit warnings that almost all of the flour used in bread and similar products here actually comes from the UK. Flour meat and cheese sectors are based on an all island economy.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/no-deal-brexit-food-4528746-Mar2019/

It wouldn't work unless a joint UK-Ireland approach was agreed.

And even if the food was in the fields, would we have the fuel to transport it.
    Would we have packaging for milk, cheese etc

Fingers crossed the measures taken by other governments stop the super-spreaders work and it doesn't take root here because if it does, I seriously doubt our ability to cope - far more than that of our EU partners.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

And yet we're told we're wannabe experts for saying the situation appears to be pretty serious.
    So what? What if you're right? Is it enough to win Internet points by being proven to be right - do you want to people to be frightened, to panic, to start making decisions in a frightened state?

I hear people saying "well I'm just making sure people are aware and are prepared". Prepared in what way? Rush to a hardware store to buy masks, which will deprive the people who really need them? Rush to the supermarket to buy out the place, so putting massive strain on logistics? Start going to their GP everytime they have a cough, and filling our hospitals with people with minor illnesses?

We don't know how bad this will be. It doesn't look great, but it's not catastrophic either - if it spreads lots of us will get it, most will be mild, the hospitals will be stretched. But that's it - life goes on, we'll need to go to work, we'll need to be a bit more careful about washing hands or shaking hands, businesses will need to be a bit more careful about not allowing employees to work if they are sick. The biggest danger is that people start panicking and thinking it's a bigger deal than it is, and we all have a responsibility to be careful about what we say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

hmmm wrote: »
    So what? What if you're right? Is it enough to win Internet points by being proven to be right - do you want to people to be frightened, to panic, to start making decisions in a frightened state?

I hear people saying "well I'm just making sure people are aware and are prepared". Prepared in what way? Rush to a hardware store to buy masks, which will deprive the people who really need them? Rush to the supermarket to buy out the place, so putting massive strain on logistics? Start going to their GP everytime they have a cough, and filling our hospitals with people with minor illnesses?

We don't know how bad this will be. It doesn't look great, but it's not catastrophic either - if it spreads lots of us will get it, most will be mild, the hospitals will be stretched. But that's it - life goes on, we'll need to go to work, we'll need to be a bit more careful about washing hands or shaking hands, businesses will need to be a bit more careful about not allowing employees to work if they are sick. The biggest danger is that people start panicking and thinking it's a bigger deal than it is, and we all have a responsibility to be careful about what we say.

Wishful thinking there. If we have a Wuhan like outbreak we are goosed. Decades of underinvestment in the army will come home to roost.

• Advertisement

Italy is certainly not in Asia
    That implies that they have not yet declared an epidemic in Italy. AFAIK only a handful of people have been diagnosed there, even if it looks likely that a lot more will be soon.

Edit: I see in an above post that they have 50 confirmed cases. I'm not surprised that is not enough to declare an epidemic (and therefore a pandemic). I also see that they are testing thousands, and I'd guess the number of confirmed will rise pretty quickly.

Oh no! A virus that kills 2% of the people it infects (who are always elderly and or suffering from complications) is spreading slightly!!!

Sorry apocalypse fans, this is not the Black Death.
    Some people have reason to think that they or someone they care about might be in that 2%. It's spreading very quickly.

Mocking people for rational fear of death doesn't score any points except for on the prickometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

The reason households were always advised to have a stock of staples that could see them through a few weeks was precisely to prevent panic buying and strain if there's a sudden emergency. For instance, in the big snow, those of us with some flour and pasta in store didn't have to rush and and bulk-buy bread - we had enough food in to keep us going until the emergency was over and the supply chain back to normal.

With the latest new from Italy the chance of us getting away without a few weeks disruption seems to be getting smaller, and I'd sooner have a few extra cans of stuff to use up next winter that have to worry about shopping if there was highly contagious disease around.

My worst experience of being locked in was heavy snow about 30 years ago - four of us in the house for a week with no electricity or running water, and an impassable road. We got through just fine, on our supplies, and with the help of a neighbour a few fields away with water from a different source where the pump had a generator - she was very tolerant of a visit from people carrying buckets every afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Oh no! A virus that kills 2% of the people it infects (who are always elderly and or suffering from complications) is spreading slightly!!!

Hi there new user, no need to be a dick this time around.

circadian wrote: »
    Hi there new user, no need to be a dick this time around.

Do you believe in reincarnation too?

As of today it killed 3% out of total cases, and 70% of such total cases still don't have an outcome

As of today it killed 3% out of total cases, and 70% of such total cases still don't have an outcome

Look don't be causing a panic with facts.

Better to stick to the official line

28%20Declan%20Lynch%20cartoon%20.jpg

Oh nooooooooo it's literally the plague!!! Get back to me when it's 30%

Talking about percentage what % of you're seven posts so far are from today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Not at all, why would anyone want that? I don't assume everyone goes into a panic just because they are expressing concern about a rapidly developing situation. I come here because people are posting so much the information and it is a very high standard of content all things considered. There has been very limited fake stuff and quite a lot of breaking news. I'm very interested in the story and I think it's a crazy situation, it's unprecedented and historic in terms of what's happening in China.

I completely agree.

Talking about percentage what % of you're seven posts so far are from today?

...all of them, and all in this thread
    Trying to remember who was the last butt-hurt user who stopped posting here a couple of days ago, sounds like he's back under a new username ;)

• Advertisement

...all of them, and all in this thread
    Trying to remember who was the last butt-hurt user who stopped posting here a couple of days ago, sounds like he's back under a new username ;)

Nine posts now me thinks it will be a fast pace for short lived username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Nine posts now me thinks it will be a fast pace for short lived username.

Spreading quicker then the Coronavirus to be fair.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Spreading quicker then the Coronavirus to be fair.

I wonder how many undetected new users are lurking in darkness right now ;)

It's not me. No need to get bent out of shape just because not everyone buys into the panic over this.

you could have said the same under your previous nickname, we don't bite ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some posters here are not looking for facts. They depend on the fear factor of the unknown.

Scientific analysis say to take the severe, critical and death percentages with a pinch of salt.

Many posters are saying these numbers are fact.

In a few words, could you please describe the recent measures that have been taken by the authorities in Italy and Korea. And if you think those measures are not in response to the input of science-based advice, do say why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 morebarn

On our local radio station a representative from The Blood Transfusion Board has requested that anyone who visited or has travelled through 9 Asian countries in the infected areas, not to donate blood for at least 28 days.

Daily stats update
    Death rate of Closed Cases down to 10% from 11

https://ibb.co/3WB28Nf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tromtipp wrote: »
    The reason households were always advised to have a stock of staples that could see them through a few weeks was precisely to prevent panic buying and strain if there's a sudden emergency. For instance, in the big snow, those of us with some flour and pasta in store didn't have to rush and and bulk-buy bread - we had enough food in to keep us going until the emergency was over and the supply chain back to normal.

With the latest new from Italy the chance of us getting away without a few weeks disruption seems to be getting smaller, and I'd sooner have a few extra cans of stuff to use up next winter that have to worry about shopping if there was highly contagious disease around.

My worst experience of being locked in was heavy snow about 30 years ago - four of us in the house for a week with no electricity or running water, and an impassable road. We got through just fine, on our supplies, and with the help of a neighbour a few fields away with water from a different source where the pump had a generator - she was very tolerant of a visit from people carrying buckets every afternoon.

Agree totally. But this is a way of life many city raised have no experience of and no skill in. Always their way is to rush to the shop

So we who prepare are taking some of the strain off the shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Anyone else find the Iran situation bizarre. 9 Deaths now out of 28 cases; exported at least 2 cases if not more (Lebanon & UAE)
    Must be a complete hotbed over there - what sort of medical facilities does Iran have to handle this?

• Advertisement

laurah591 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the Iran situation bizarre. 9 Deaths now out of 28 cases; exported at least 2 cases if not more (Lebanon & UAE)
    Must be a complete hotbed over there - what sort of medical facilities does Iran have to handle this?

I'd say the 28 cases look skewed, are people being tested?

It's only when tests are carried out that the number of cases magically increases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree totally. But this is a way of life many city raised have no experience of and no skill in. Always their way is to rush to the shop

A soccer coach on newstalk lately said they've a problem with kids playing soccer Dublin kids don't know how to fall, there literally face planking themselves causing injury and driving up insurance. Dublin is screwed if this takes hold, imagine what their parents are like.

Iran despite the sanctions are a really advanced nation.

https://www.presstv.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can dismiss the 28 cases, more hundreds if not likely thousands of cases

Anyone found spreading rumours will be dealt with...hmmm

Iran has excellent healthcare services. They even have pioneered some advancements in the field. The problem would be that the government might not be honest or open about an epidemic, especially given recent unrest there. I understand that same mentality in China was a factor in the situation developing there the way it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

While some people have mentioned acquiring more supplies than normal, the next thing I'm going to do is get in some Vitamin D supplements. I have been meaning to for a while but it's one of those things that i don't seem to get around to. Basically, vitamin D seems to play a significant role in preventing/fighting respiratory diseases.
    Vitamin D, the Flu, and the Common Cold: The flu virus wreaks the most havoc in the winter, abating in the summer months. This seasonality led a British doctor to hypothesize that a sunlight-related “seasonal stimulus” triggered influenza outbreaks. (43) More than 20 years after this initial hypothesis, several scientists published a paper suggesting that vitamin D may be the seasonal stimulus. (44) Among the evidence they cite:

Vitamin D levels are lowest in the winter months. (44)
    The active form of vitamin D tempers the damaging inflammatory response of some white blood cells, while it also boosts immune cells’ production of microbe-fighting proteins. (44)
    Children who have vitamin D-deficiency rickets are more likely to get respiratory infections, while children exposed to sunlight seem to have fewer respiratory infections. (44)
    Adults who have low vitamin D levels are more likely to report having had a recent cough, cold, or upper respiratory tract infection. (45)

A recent randomized controlled trial in Japanese school children tested whether taking daily vitamin D supplements would prevent seasonal flu. (46) The trial followed nearly 340 children for four months during the height of the winter flu season. Half of the study participants received pills that contained 1,200 IU of vitamin D; the other half received placebo pills. Researchers found that type A influenza rates in the vitamin D group were about 40 percent lower than in the placebo group; there was no significant difference in type B influenza rates. This was a small but promising study, and more research is needed before we can definitively say that vitamin D protects against the flu. But don’t skip your flu shot, even if vitamin D has some benefit.
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-d/

I have seen some suggestion that ME may be an auto-immune disease and vitamin D seems to play a role in preventing/damping autoimmune activity.

Ebay, here I come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes it really does make it seem improbable that the data coming out of Iran is accurate.

How many people in Iran are in a position to go the the doctor with a mild illness which most people get? Of course it's inaccurate, as it probably is all over the world. That's why drawing mortality figures right now is not smart, but there simply is no point trying to explain that to some people.

Look stop the silliness yes 5 people out of 28 are dead and this is very sad but let us remember this number is small it is not like this thing spreads or something.

The sensible thing to do is not buy anything extra or make any preparations.
    Sure if you run out of food just ring for a pizza.

Your constant attempts at "humour" and sarcasm are getting really tiresome. It's the behaviour of a teenager trying to get likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The US's CDC said they are monitoring the situation with 34 cases (excluding some citizens still in Japan, from the plague ship), but overall totals are expected to increase.
    Their big chief said: There may be a time when more aggressive measures, such as temporarily closing schools or businesses in the U.S., are necessary

The other chief (of the WHO) keeps saying 'a small window of oportunity remains' and current status is: 'tipping point'.

Also local reports of first case in Iraq, a student who visited Qom

24 cases in Japan today. 133 total now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strange how we expected the tipping point a week or two ago but only now starting, makes me believe the 14 day incubation period is more common and not 5/6 days

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement