Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

For the unconcerned people, you might get some good deals on holidays to Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

goat2 wrote: »
    Two Chinese tourists from Wuhan are still being treated in isolation in Rome. Since these are tourists, they had to eat in restaurants, use rest areas, did some shopping, and touring. How many could these have infected, staying in hotels or hostels, how much of Italy had they already travelled, what flights and transport did they use, It is not a good time to be going on holiday at the moment

Cruise liners already seeing booking way down and cancellation numbers off the charts. Airlines are going to see similar very shortly.

WHO under massive pressure now to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

fr336 wrote: »

Speaking of overreacting, I've just booked two weeks leave at work I had left over from last year and just didn't end up taking. Hopefully it'll just be a nice holiday and not necessary.

why?? you think you need to self-quarantine...:D is there something you need to tell us, or better the HSE??:D

fritzelly wrote: »
    By all accounts this is a pandemic now - just the WHO don't want to call it that.

Their credibility is in question now I think its fair to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Their credibility is in question now I think its fair to say.

I think they never had any..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Define unconcerned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Yes and what about people with underlying illnesses I mean people with cystic fibrosis haven't got a hope if this spreads here their lungs are damaged enough besides getting this

They and we old folk stand every chance of living if the rest of the people take care of them/us. Shopping, making it possible for them/us to stay away from people. ie a form of kindly quarantine whether or not that is officially imposed.

I am sure the Meals on Wheels providers will have this well in hand, And all of us need to take great care and keep an eye out for others. .

Please do not despair like this! I am in 2 vulnerable groups and have every intention of living a long time yet even if corona arrives.

And we are getting plenty of warning and time to get ourselves organised and ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

tara73 wrote: »
    why?? you think you need to self-quarantine...:D

I'm trying to avoid getting it! But to be honest and I hate writing it anyone think the horse has bolted? Taking precautions now is probably too late. It will definitely land in uk, Ireland and everywhere else the question is how big does it get. The worry isn't the numbers on their own right now (though obviously China numbers are terrifying) it's how quickly the cases can go from nothing to loads.

Speaking of overreacting, I've just booked two weeks leave at work I had left over from last year and just didn't end up taking. Hopefully it'll just be a nice holiday and not necessary.

You've picked the dates?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    They and we old folk stand every chance of living if the rest of the people take care of them/us. Shopping, making it possible for them/us to stay away from people. ie a form of kindly quarantine whether or not that is officially imposed.

I am sure the Meals on Wheels providers will have this well in hand, And all of us need to take great care and keep an eye out for others. .

Please do not despair like this! I am in 2 vulnerable groups and have every intention of living a long time yet even if corona arrives.

And we are getting plenty of warning and time to get ourselves organised and ready.

All the best Grace. And appreciate the positivity.

By all accounts this is a pandemic now - just the WHO don't want to call it that.

Does not yet meet the exact definition. Someone quoted that earlier; all five continents need to be involved I think

Define unconcerned?

Not picking on that poster by the way there are loads of posts in the same vain just picked a random one from a 100 or so pages back.

I think the tone of the thread is going to change now.

Let us forward not back.:)

You've picked the dates?

Yes why?

Expert on BBC radio five live just said that the attempts to contain this have probably failed and the U.K. Should prepare for China style self isolations in the near future. He would inevitably say the same about every other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Latest updates:

Iran loose a 6th person
    The 'Ables' are said to be in a bady way
    S.Kor's spread may have been due to a funeral (assume they do the let's shake everyones hand, and finger some ham sambos also).
    The other plague (locusts) are darkening the skies in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Qatar and moving towards Pak/W.China
    Offical drivers (of the 4 horsemen coaches), still aren't wearing their facemasks for the latest arrivals
    Some of the Britons missed the latest flight, and were though to have 'made their own way off the plague ship'
    Samsung closes factory that lake their latest flip phone yoke, due to an infected worker
    Amzn are worried about their Prime day sales
    The WHO have taken a couple off days off.

All the best Grace. And appreciate the positivity.

Thank you! And yes, be positive! What we used to call the Dunkirk spirit in the UK! Wish I could do more but my part is to stay safe and well and in my small corner out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Does not yet meet the exact definition. Someone quoted that earlier; all five continents need to be involved I think

Cannot find any mention of it being over 5 continents - in fact if you waited til it was on every countinent it's too late
    A pandemic is defined as “an epidemic occurring worldwide, or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Nature is fighting back !?

Not picking on that poster by the way there are loads of posts in the same vain just picked a random one from a 100 or so pages back.

I think the tone of the thread is going to change now.

Let us forward not back.:)

You took a sarcastic comment out of context

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Does anyone know is there any further detail about the two oaps which died in Italy; any underlying medical conditions?
    Or has China released stats on how susceptible people with different conditions are to not recovering?

• Advertisement

Yes why?

Expert on BBC radio five live just said that the attempts to contain this have probably failed and the U.K. Should prepare for China style self isolations in the near future. He would inevitably say the same about every other country.

Well the horse bolted over a month ago so to speak. You can't really be sure when or even if it will get to Ireland. I'd have kept the days off for a while more personally.

You took a sarcastic comment out of context

Sorry.:)

I did not spend a lot of time looking just grabbed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

auspicious wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there any further details about the two oaps which died in Italy; any underlying medical conditions?
    Or has China released stats on how susceptible people with different conditions are to not recovering?

The man had been recently hospitalized for another ailment and the woman was found dead in her home and they tested her post-mortem.
    I read the above earlier today online but don't remember where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

SusanC10 wrote: »
    The man had been recently hospitalized for another ailment and the woman was found dead in her home and they tested her post-mortem.
    I read the above earlier today online but don't remember where.

The man was 80 and the lady was 78, in fact they died very quickly
    But there are over 16 people in critical condition that tested positive, some are in their 30s

Well the horse bolted over a month ago so to speak. You can't really be sure when or even if it will get to Ireland. I'd have kept the days off for a while more personally.

You're probably right but I work in an environment with lots of members of the public passing so this is making me feel better at the least. If things kick off the government's will be forcing people off work anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Surely this will now emerge in Ireland if it has been circulating undetected in Italy for the past few days/weeks?

So far South America is the last continent not infected but this will probably emerge there also due to the huge Italian links to Brazil and other South American nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dr John is live now answering questions on above link.

You're probably right but I work in an environment with lots of members of the public passing so this is making me feel better at the least. If things kick off the government's will be forcing people off work anyway.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement

Countries like UK, France, Germany have no chances to avoid this. Much like Italy these are high density countries with lots of tourists and business people flying in and out every day. What happened in Italy is going to replicate to the rest of Europe

Think people should bear in mind certain nations will keep under wraps possible cases of the virus as they don't want it hurting their economy. Tourist driven nations would be top of that list.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Think people should bear in mind certain nations will keep under wraps possible cases of the virus as they don't want it hurting their economy. Tourist driven nations would be top of that list.

Like Ireland...hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Like Ireland...hmmm...
    And Italy...hmmm...

What are the latest thoughts about immunity following exposure?

It came up earlier and it seemed like immunity would only last a few months, and that subsequent infection could be worse, like with dengue fever.

However according to The Guardian it's pretty stable (not mutating quickly) and a vaccine should protect someone for a long time. Does that not mean you would haveasting immunity following infection as well?

Like Ireland...hmmm...

Thinking more of Spain etc...but won't be a massive problem for them this time of year. A place like say Lanzorote with its high numbers of older tourists would suffer greatly with an outbreak.

• Advertisement

Any ideas on whether we legally can close our borders to EU countries in the event of them having epidemics?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Dr John is live now answering questions on above link.

Quick ask him if buying a couple of extra slice pans for the freezer is crazy?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

7 more in italy, over 60 now

theguzman wrote: »
    Surely this will now emerge in Ireland if it has been circulating undetected in Italy for the past few days/weeks?

Yep, and instead of stock piling food I wonder if it made more sense to slow down on social activities like going to the pub/concerts/etc.
    Those are the places where people got infected in Italy
    Also Companies could start implementing work from home as a preventive safety measure
    It may sound extreme now, but it's better than having to do it later once half the city is infected!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Yes Ireland of a thousand welcomes can't be turning tourist s away Coronavirus or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Any ideas on whether we legally can close our borders to EU countries in the event of them having epidemics?

Laws couldn't prevent the government from doing what it feels it has to, they just pertain to consequences later.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Laws couldn't prevent the government from doing what it feels it has to, they just pertain to consequences later.
    They cancelled the nationwide smoky coal ban because of legal threats from three non-Irish coal suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

What do you mean by close the borders? We're not self sufficient

The Italian guy that has been linked to the latest spread - Patient 0 - is still testing negative
    He flew from China on 1st Feb and went out for dinner with friends and that's how it started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Latest updates:

Iran loose a 6th person
    The 'Ables' are said to be in a bady way
    S.Kor's spread may have been due to a funeral (assume they do the let's shake everyones hand, and finger some ham sambos also).
    The other plague (locusts) are darkening the skies in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Qatar and moving towards Pak/W.China
    Offical drivers (of the 4 horsemen coaches), still aren't wearing their facemasks for the latest arrivals
    Some of the Britons missed the latest flight, and were though to have 'made their own way off the plague ship'
    Samsung closes factory that lake their latest flip phone yoke, due to an infected worker
    Amzn are worried about their Prime day sales
    The WHO have taken a couple off days off.

Imagine a bunch of infected workers at Amazon fulfillment centres; The virus on the packages which are then handled by couriers and postal workers who then go on to handle many more packages while asymptomatic. Not to mention the lucky recipients of the packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The man was 80 and the lady was 78, in fact they died very quickly
    But there are over 16 people in critical condition that tested positive, some are in their 30s

I'm sure the outbreak in Italy didn't occur spontaneously, so was it brought in by Italians who had been in China recently or by one of over the hundreds of thousands of Chinese working in textile industries in northern Italy, many are Chinese owned. I suspect the situation in China might me worse than we are being told, maybe a stricter travel ban is the only answer till things improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Is there anything to be said for another mass? (without the hand shaking or finger dipping at entrances, of course).

Also wonder if China now finds itself turning to some type of religion, even buddist chants or luckycat belly-rubbing, with a couple of biblical plagues now upon it's doorstep.

The latest case in Italy is a 78 year old man who had been in hospital already for 1 week!
    He got tested only today
    You would expect that people with respiratory issues be tested for virus right?

The number of infected people in Europe must be seriously underestimated. Somehow Italy are lucky that at least a proper assessment of the situation is being carried out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fcd33b9bdb8e5630.png?1582399572

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Is there anything to be said for another mass? (without the hand shaking or finger dipping at entrances, of course).

Also wonder if China now finds itself turning to some type of religion, even buddist chants or luckycat belly-rubbing, with a couple of biblical plagues now upon it's doorstep.

No religion is banned under Communism. They will probably just say that Coronavirus is cured by Rhino horn or whatever most endangered animal you can think of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement