Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »
    Makes you wonder if the reports in Iran saying people are literally getting symptoms and dying within days is true
    Has it mutated into a worse strain

It's impossible to know I think we should wait to see the outcome of patients on the cruise to accurately assess the danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't think people in serious condition require them yet

So are they in serious condition? What’s serious condition btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I don't think people in serious condition require them yet

So what warrants saying that 18 (apparntly all) are in serious condition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

tom1ie wrote: »
    pneumonia, for example.

pneumonia, for example.

So pneumonia is a by product of covid 19 no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

So anyone that gets this is guaranteed to get pneumonia

I could be way off but I think like HIV ncov is not a 'disease' but just weakens your immune system and allows pneumonia to manifest

I second this question to Wakka and a source would be good :)

• Advertisement

I second this question to Wakka and a source would be good :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231369486932070400?s=21

No idea what is considered serious in Italian healthcare system but it varies by country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Sean 18 wrote: »

There are various studies to say that a certain percentage get pneumonia about the 10 day mark after they become symptomatic.

Yup

Sorry I though we were coming from different ends of the spectrum there.

I believe there were some patients who have pneumonia when inspecting the lungs but they were asymptomatic,is that possible ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I believe there were some patients who have pneumonia when inspecting the lungs but they were asymptomatic,is that possible ?

The test for it is terrible at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

The Sunday Times is reporting that the British couple,the Abel’s, who were on the cruise ship off the coast of Japan are in a bad way with pneumonia in a Japanese hospital. They are elderly and had been celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and were the ones who were live posting while in quarantine. Dreadful stuff.Hope they will recover.

• Advertisement

We’ve said we can’t trust Chinese numbers, so that’s grand let’s go with that. It seems to have taken hold in Italy to a certain extent. So what can we draw from those figures. Italy is in the Eu so we should be able to believe those figures.
    If it’s as virulent as its made out to be , so what should be the death rate going by what we’ve already ascertained?

citysights wrote: »
    The Sunday Times is reporting that the British couple,the Abel’s, who were on the cruise ship off the coast of Japan are in a bad way with pneumonia in a Japanese hospital. They are elderly and had been celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and were the ones who were live posting while in quarantine. Dreadful stuff.Hope they will recover.

That’s terrible to hear.
    What’s the overall stats from that ghost ship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

https://mobile.twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231369486932070400?s=21

No idea what is considered serious in Italian healthcare system but it varies by country

Girl I used to work with was married to an Italian she maintained he was an absolute hypochondriac, tablets, doctor and home in bed for the least thing.She said many were like him, have no idea if this is really true but maybe their vigilance now with the confirmed cases could help to stop the spread further across Europe.

That’s terrible to hear.

Dunno the current number from the past day but a lot that were testing negative before leaving the ship are now testing positive after reaching home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Sean 18 wrote: »

That's not what I've picked up. As I understand it, the picture emerging from China and now from cases outside of China is that some people will have essentially no symptoms, most will have some sort of flu-like symptoms, and some will develop pneumonia, of whom a few will go on to develop multiple organ failure.
    I could be way off but I think like HIV ncov is not a 'disease' but just weakens your immune system and allows pneumonia to manifest

HIV infects a class of white blood cells responsible for the adaptive immune response, meaning that opportunistic infections then become more likely, including pneumonia.

SARS-CoV-2 infects AT2 cells in the alveoli of the lungs, i.e. the tiny air sacs where gas exchange between inhaled air and blood capillaries occurs. That in itself can cause pneumonia due to local inflammation, leaky capillaries and alveoli filling with fluid.

The damaged alveoli can also serve as breeding grounds for opportunistic bacteria such as streptococcus or MRSA, which then need antibiotic treatment.

• Advertisement

That’s terrible to hear.

634 tested positive out of 2800 on board, half were asymptomatic positives, 2 have died and 27 are in a serious condition

634 tested positive out of 2800 on board, half were asymptomatic positives, 2 have died and 27 are in a serious condition

Hmmm, 1 in five postive, in in ten symptyms and around one in 100 actively infected.

Yup, even with the close confines that's pretty ****ty. Nothing to do but build up your immune system I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They should sue, they were fine, but getting trapped on that ship will probably kill them. Who ever was brining them food so on must have infected them. I would have gotten off that ship, they played it so so nice, like they were immune and took joy in there 5 minutes of fame '' won't happen to us''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Interesting tweet here: Ireland one of the only countries to actually pay WHO monies pledged..

https://mobile.twitter.com/uliwb/status/1231386671519633408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Girl I used to work with was married to an Italian she maintained he was an absolute hypochondriac, tablets, doctor and home in bed for the least thing.She said many were like him, have no idea if this is really true but maybe their vigilance now with the confirmed cases could help to stop the spread further across Europe.

It's probably true. I read the same thing from a BBC correspondent based in Italy recounting what life was like there.

Found it: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-15987082

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The man has diabetes too, I hope they pull through.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

That’s terrible to hear.

Only 2 deaths from the cruise so far, god willing, hopefully not more. What age are you tomlie?

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Interesting tweet here: Ireland one of the only countries to actually pay WHO monies pledged..

https://mobile.twitter.com/uliwb/status/1231386671519633408

Omitting the millions already paid by certain countries every year

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

Virus did not originate from market.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180429.shtml

• Advertisement

Watched Contagion about half an hour ago, a great film, the last few minutes is absolutely chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They should sue, they were fine, but getting trapped on that ship will probably kill them. Who ever was brining them food so on must have infected them. I would have gotten off that ship, they played it so so nice, like they were immune and took joy in there 5 minutes of fame '' won't happen to us''

I know, they had a balcony it would have been a 50 metre jump max. Why didnt they?
    Is sueing the goverment straight forward under Japaneese law?

I mean seriously, come on, they really expect us to believe this

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231397591809695744

Virus did not originate from market.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180429.shtml

As fingers get pointed at the nearby Virology research lab as a possible source, a Chinese paper pops up, saying no, no, the virus did not come from there, it came from waaaay over there.

How convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled hundreds of miles to another city where she is believed to have infected five relatives without showing signs of infection, scientists in China have said, offering fresh evidence that the new coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/22/coronavirus-asymptomatic-wuhan-woman-shows-why-outbreak-will-be-hard-to-stop

The new quarantine period may/will be moved to 28 days.

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/27-day-incubation-period-coronavirus-china-covid-19/11991604

Time to shut all boarders,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I mean seriously, come on, they really expect us to believe this

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231397591809695744

Why not? The update was only for the period shortly after midnight on 23/02, it did not reflect the whole day.
    On 22/02 there were 630 new cases and 96 new deaths in Hubei province.

tuxy wrote: »
    I know, they had a balcony it would have been a 50 metre jump max. Why didnt they?
    Is sueing the goverment straight forward under Japaneese law?

I have jumped from just a 10m diving board, and I can tell you, if you don't hit the water dead straight, the bit of you that slaps the water hurts like stink. One time the impact was on my back and the pain was like a big electric shock.

From 50m you would hit the water doing 113 kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MD1990 wrote: »
    very worrying from a Dr John video.

he heard from a Iranian colleague that the Fatality Rate in Iran is much higher than 2%.

He talks about Ethiopian Airlines continuing to fly in and out of China largely on the advice of the World Health Organisation - that such flights are believed not to constitute a significant risk. Imho Heads in WHO are going to roll for that - as unfortunately WHO have openly provided open access into African countries such as Ethiopia simply to keep the Chinese state happy. It is also true that medical supplies could still be transported via dedicated flights despite the WHO's claims.

Great work lads....

https://youtu.be/NTcMcOWNuqA?t=4m40s

A national system to control biosecurity risks must be put in place “to protect the people’s health,” Xi said, because lab safety is a “national security” issue.

Xi didn’t actually admit that the coronavirus now devastating large swathes of China had escaped from one of the country’s bioresearch labs. But the very next day, evidence emerged suggesting that this is exactly what happened,

Really Xi Jinping, really?

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

• Advertisement

Can you imagine in Ireland enforcing prison sentences

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231402949680734209

old_aussie wrote: »
    A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled hundreds of miles to another city where she is believed to have infected five relatives without showing signs of infection, scientists in China have said, offering fresh evidence that the new coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/22/coronavirus-asymptomatic-wuhan-woman-shows-why-outbreak-will-be-hard-to-stop

The new quarantine period may/will be moved to 28 days.

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/27-day-incubation-period-coronavirus-china-covid-19/11991604

Time to shut all boarders,

They won't. Even countries like Australia and New Zealand that really are in a good position to seal their borders, never will. The pervasiveness of modern air travel makes pandemics inevitable and unstoppable.

gozunda wrote: »
    He talks about Ethiopian Airlines continuing to fly in and out of China largely on the advice of the World Health Organisation - that such flights are believed not to constitute a significant risk. Imho Heads in WHO are going to roll for that - as unfortunately WHO have openly provided open access into African countries such as Ethiopia simply to keep the Chinede state happy..

Good work lads....

[Url]httos://youtu.be/NTcMcOWNuqA?t=4m40s[/url]

Head of the WHO is an Ethiopian. No surprise there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

cnocbui wrote: »
    Head of the WHO is an Ethiopian. No surprise there.

If anything its more surprising as he is so blaise about his countries well being.

Can you imagine in Ireland enforcing prison sentences

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231402949680734209

Would the under age skangers not still get suspended sentences though hahaha.

VinLieger wrote: »
    If anything its more surprising as he is so blaise about his countries well being.

I think he might have been focusing on the airline's finances. And money might have been involved elsewhere...

In other news:
    More than 30 new cruise ships to launch in 2020
    https://www.traveller.com.au/more-than-30-new-cruise-ships-to-launch-in-2020-h1ltfv

Might be bad timing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MD1990 wrote: »
    very worrying from a Dr John video.

His cold is getting worse every video :(

Progress being made on the vaccine.......

Researchers at the University of Queensland (UQ) have said they are just days away from testing a new vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19, on animals.

Don't get too complacent .....

"It is not a race between vaccine producers, it is a race against this particular virus".

"It is a new territory for vaccine design. Vaccines take many years to develop from concept to licence and use in the community.

"What we are aiming for is somewhere between 12 and 18 months, which is remarkably quick."

Dr Young said the UQ team had developed 100 different versions of a protein to work out which would be most effective against the virus.

He said they now planned to conduct pre-clinical trials (including animal testing) and hoped to undertake human trials by the middle of the year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/coronavirus-vaccine-animal-testing-days-away-uq-researchers/11991456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lemoncorona

Besides the measures in the hotbed towns, the Italian government has suspended all sports events today (Sunday) in Lombardy, universities are closed for the week, school trips both domestic and foreign have been cancelled and the hospitals where the virus was found are being closed.

It's impossible to find protective facemasks in either pharmacies or DIY stores and pharmacies have signs up saying that there are no stocks of hand sanitizers. I live in Lombardy and this **** just got real...

I bought 2 masks 3 weeks ago just in case and did a stock up shopping trip on Friday - an all out quarantine is looking more and more likely so tinfoil hats off and facemasks on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Besides the measures in the hotbed towns, the Italian government has suspended all sports events today (Sunday) in Lombardy, universities are closed for the week, school trips both domestic and foreign have been cancelled and the hospitals where the virus was found are being closed.

It's impossible to find protective facemasks in either pharmacies or DIY stores and pharmacies have signs up saying that there are no stocks of hand sanitizers. I live in Lombardy and this **** just got real...

I bought 2 masks 3 weeks ago just in case and did a stock up shopping trip on Friday - an all out quarantine is looking more and more likely so tinfoil hats off and facemasks on :D

no seria a for a while so, I've no facemask will a snorkel work?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement