Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

VinLieger wrote: »
    Jesus how hard is it for you to understand this?
    Your attitude of the info is there for people to find is pathetic, it needs to be shoved in peoples faces at every oppurtunity
    Lol your disgusting superiority complex is dripping off you.

You make the claim you back it up...as usual you post absolute sh1te and when pulled up on it , you throw your toys out of your pram.

Everyone knows what you're like at this stage , whatever thread you jump into and no matter the topic.
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I love all your references to "we". Do you speak for a group?

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah me too ...

Probably need to put the glasses on there I think. That and a very tiny violin ...

Just from the last few pages. I got my glasses on baby..

[IMG]https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oriOiqu0xaLmmfSGk/giphy.gifGot my glasses[/IMG]

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I think you are perfectly right to do so, we can worry about ethiquette another time

I like the eastern greeting of palms pressed together, fingers pointing up and the little bow of the head. It’s very polite but avoids physical contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

134 cases in Italy and 2 dead already and we are only at the early stages. Anyone still saying this is just a flu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Zenify wrote: »
    134 cases in Italy and 2 dead already and we are only at the early stages. Anyone still saying this is just a flu?

Only the dopes because it's not a strain of flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Gynoid wrote: »

[IMG]https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oriOiqu0xaLmmfSGk/giphy.gifGot my glasses[/IMG]

Missed all that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I must admit. The 38 year dying in Italy is a bit concerning. Was healthy. Current worry level would be 4\10.

I thought that Italy had 2 Deaths- both in 70's or 80's ?

I had also read somewhere that the 38 year old man had stabilized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,083 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not according to their son on the BBC last night. They are in hospital but not 'in a bad way'.

Yeah, he's not overly concerned now. Here's a link to his twitter feed, and he posts vlog updates about his parents, that suggest he's not worried at present.

Son of the Northamptonshire couple's twitter/youtube:

https://twitter.com/biggetywitch?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah, he's not overly concerned now. Here's a link to his twitter feed, and he posts vlog updates about his parents, that suggest he's not worried at present.

https://twitter.com/biggetywitch?s=20

That's good to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

134 Infected people in Italy in total, it's the 4th most infected country in the world
    Wonder how many flights have landed in Dublin from Milan and Bergamo in the 2 days?

Extract from Wikipaedia entry for our former infectious diseases hospital at Cherry Orchard:

“ The hospital, which was commissioned to replace the aging Cork Street Fever Hospital, opened in November 1953.[1][2] By the 1980s immunisation programmes had reduced the incidence of infectious diseases and the hospital expanded the range of medical services it provided to include psychiatric and rehabilitation services.[1] After the government implemented cuts to services at the hospital in 2010, there were protests organised against Mary Harney, the Health Minister, on behalf of the Save Cherry Orchard Hospital Campaign.[3][4][5] A new child and adolescent mental health facility opened at the hospital in 2013.[6]”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Gynoid wrote: »

You included me there. Are genuine questions banned and can fake comments not be challenged?

Doesn't bode well for an informed discussion. If I am past a certain age does it make me immune from correction or any questions?

I'll leave it there. No point trying to follow a one dimensional discussion.

134 Infected people in Italy in total, it's the 4th most infected country in the world
    Wonder how many flights have landed in Dublin from Milan and Bergamo in the 2 days?

Milan is Italy’s principal business city, with lots of business and academic travellers to and from Dublin and elsewhere.

Milan is Italy’s principal business city, with lots of business and academic travellers to and from Dublin and elsewhere.

If it's in Milan, it's everywhere in Europe
    We'll know in a week or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, but hopefully I am wrong, ever the optimist.

I also think the Church should state from the altar that the Sign of Peace is being suspended for the time being at Mass. I worry about those in my family who attend church and partake in this little ritual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, but hopefully I am wrong, ever the optimist.

I also think the Church should state from the altar that the Sign of Peace is being suspended for the time being at Mass. I worry about those in my family who attend church and partake in this little ritual.

The sign of peace was suspended in church four weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Bishops in Northern Italy have done this already. Theyre draining the holy water fonts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The sign of peace was suspended in church four weeks ago.

Not in my relatives church this morning in Kildare. Just off the phone to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I like the eastern greeting of palms pressed together, fingers pointing up and the little bow of the head. It’s very polite but avoids physical contact.

Yeah but you'd look like a tit doing that unless you're from that part of the world
    Ireland have the raised finger salute and the long wink. Both of these are adequate replacements for the hand shake

If CoronaVirus gets near a rural funeral the village would be wiped out within 2 week, along with every politician within voting distance.

pc7 wrote: »
    Bergamo\Milan would be big airport hubs for skiing areas. If an airport worker was a carrier then half of Europe who went skiing last while would be open to it. Really mind blowing when you think how easily something can spread in modern times.

My cousin & family not long back from there and “threatening” to invite me (“we’re going to have you out to us shortly”) to their house for dinner. I think I’m going to develop a nasty “virus” Just to avoid the invite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

You included me there. Are genuine questions banned and can fake comments not be challenged?

Doesn't bode well for an informed discussion. If I am past a certain age does it make me immune from correction or any questions?

I'll leave it there. No point trying to follow a one dimensional discussion.

If you are past a certain age I will be polite to you even if you are a thundering pain in the arse, yup.

They can be challenged more politely if the person is elderly and not robust. Or better still ignored. Would you like to watch someone do it in real life, would you do it yourself, be so scathing to an old person? I would not stand back and allow it to happen in front of me in real life anyway, even if the elderly and infirm person was completely annoying. It is just not good form.

But have at it, whoever needs to, if that is your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

We have to thank that damn idiot 38 yo man who spread the virus around by going to the gym, playing soccer with his friends, taking part to a race and going out with lots of people in the last two weeks, instead of staying home and taking care of his 8 months pregnant wife.

And we have to thank the Italian government (I'm Italian and live in Italy) that hasn't been able to manage the situation properly. Absolutely lack of professionalism, and a naive and childish approach to the emergency.

They kept telling us that we have the best health system around and we had taken the most extreme measures to counter the virus. Yes, of course, it does show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Just as likely to catch it from a door knob, stair rail, shopping trolley etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

We have to thank that damn idiot 38 yo man who spread the virus around by going to the gym, playing soccer with his friends, taking part to a race and going out with lots of people in the last two weeks, instead of staying home and taking care of his 8 months pregnant wife.

And we have to thank the Italian government (I'm Italian and live in Italy) that hasn't been able to manage the situation properly. Absolutely lack of professionalism, and a naive and childish approach to the emergency.

They kept telling us that we have the best health system around and we had taken the most extreme measures to counter the virus. Yes, of course, it does show.

Anyone would that they would rather this virus spread and killed people than take measures at ports and airports and risk being called "racist" by sjw Marxists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This is a pivotal moment for Europe. Do we do what's right and lock down transport hubs to prevent contagion or do we let a possible 2% out of a very possible millions of infected die. This is where we need to see real leadership and not talking shop politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Beggars belief that a good chunk of the country are walking around now assuming its not here, or people get colds etc. and have no idea they're spreading this. It seems so inevitable that we wait until the critical case shows up and gets tested and we are in Italy's shoes.

It's not like doing the bare minimum amount is hard. I understand it's unlikely to be contained in any country at this stage, but could we have given it a shot even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Beggars belief that a good chunk of the country are walking around now assuming its not here, or people get colds etc. and have no idea they're spreading this. It seems so inevitable that we wait until the critical case shows up and gets tested and we are in Italy's shoes.

It's not like doing the bare minimum amount is hard. I understand it's unlikely to be contained in any country at this stage, but could we have given it a shot even?

What about the people that are asymptomatic? What do you suggest we do about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

What about the people that are asymptomatic? What do you suggest we do about them?

Nothing much obviously. But just shrugging shoulders and doing nothing is reckless. If is going to spread, every country should do as much as possible to limit it, and how quickly it spreads to try and avoid the health system being swamped. That's when we'll have a serious problem on our hands.

That would mean our government being proactive for the first time in our history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This is a pivotal moment for Europe. Do we do what's right and lock down transport hubs to prevent contagion or do we let a possible 2% out of a very possible millions of infected die. This is where we need to see real leadership and not talking shop politics.

I predict the don’t worry until it’s in your town approach will continue.

The people saying that there’s not much else that the HSE can do now will just rehash it as that there was nothing else they could of done in advance.

As I posted here before, (Below) Ireland was ranked 0% in terms of communication preparation in a recent study so no surprise they are taking a cross Fingers and hope it doesn’t come approach.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Ireland.pdf

Source

https://www.ghsindex.org/country/ireland/

Some interesting reading. We are ranked 15/43 in Europe in terms of prepared for dealing with a pathogen.

Interesting low scores:

-Exercising response plans 0 - average across world 16.2
    - Linking public health and security authorities 0 - average across world 22.6
    -Communications with healthcare workers during a public health emergency
    0 - average across world 15.1

Who’d of thought one of the most basic , controllable elements which are communication would be such an easy area for most countries to be so bad. We get big 0s but the average of those variables is terribly low.

I really hope that story posted by the person with the Chinese student is a joke. That’s negligence of the highest order from the HSE , the school and anybody willingly involved in ignoring public safety out of pure ignorance. This is why I don’t trust the authority’s, they really don’t think it’s going to come here so are acting irresponsible and taking risks with peoples lives. The pathetic thing is that this isn’t rocket science or difficult to manage. Makes me sick because this is the sort of laissez-faire attitude that makes what doesn’t need to be a pandemic Into a pandemic. Prevention is better then cure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Airports are a viruses best ally , if a virus could talk it would be counting its blessings! Shut down the airport now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

How many Italian fans are expected to travel to Ireland for the 6 Nations match on 7 March? What is the risk of the virus spreading at the Aviva? They have already cancelled the 6 Nations womens match today in Italy between Italy and Scotland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Weird the way the outbreak in Italy is so spread across a load of little villages. Another super spreader, on holiday? Shoutout to all those previous here saying “we have a low population density, be grand in the countryside!”

According to a recent model done at John Hopkins University (quoted in new scientist magazine), 10% of super spreaders could account for 80% of infections.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

When you say lock down transport hubs, are you saying nobody on or off the island.

What happens at the NI border which is the UK.

When you say lock down transport hubs, are you saying nobody on or off the island.

We can only control what we control. A lot of the strategy’s being taken are designed to slow down The virus as it looks unstoppable at this stage. Even if people can get into Ireland through Northern Ireland, it Still slows it down.

I don’t think our authority’s have the foresight or guts to take such drastic action. They can hide behind what everyone else is doing so no tough decisions will need to be made.

2%?? LOL
    where have you been for the last few days?

• Advertisement

Yes everything. Airports, ferry ports etc... Why wait until what's happening in China is happening here. Be proactive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Haven't you seen The Leftovers? Losing 2% of the population would bring the world to its knees :pac:

2%?? LOL

2% is a best case scenario. Obviously the figure is going to be worse in under prepared health systems like ours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's the bare minimum in your mind? Some posters here would have us lock down borders...

Turkey closes its border with Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

how do you know all this, how do you know it was only this one 38yo man who was spreading it? source??

I think nobody, no expert or whoever can 100% say it was only that man. there are supposedly many others infected from whereever who spread it. That's kind of defamation to blame this single person in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This could be a huge conspiracy, a way to dwindle down the worlds population to a more manageable figure. I suspect there is a vaccine already, and that those in power are safe.

2%?? LOL

What’s this 30% In a number?

As of today, Recovery rate = 30%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I sold whatever stocks I had last Wednesday. Economically we are going to be hit massively.

ixoy wrote: »
    What's the bare minimum in your mind? Some posters here would have us lock down borders...

In terms of communication, the HSE copied and pasted a website from the equally poor NHS (savaged by Dr John for Continuing to say they are ready for everything when they can’t possibly be). Somebody said they were on 6\1 news one day. It should be update segment everyday at this stage.

Part of the issue now is advising people to maybe start stocking up on extra goods may cause a bit of Panic because the virus is now in the EU and will feel more concerning. That’s why I suggested that they start putting out Bulletins of sorts weeks ago to slowly encourage people to take some small steps. If most people have some sort of stock or preparation done it reduces potential panic.

What’s clear is that no country appears to be able to stop the virus and are less then perfect at responding. I don’t believe any country has the resources to take care of the kind of numbers of potential sick (up to 60%, with maybe 15% of those serious). So we should of been preparing and communicating to our population weeks ago.

Unearthly wrote: »
    I sold whatever stocks I had last Wednesday. Economically we are going to be hit massively.

I'm still thinking the average Joe is more concerned about who wins Love Island and hasn't put any preparation plans in place at all.

Look at what's it done to the Chinese economy and that was with a mammoth almost war time effort to close down cities, build hospitals etc..to contain the virus.

2% is a best case scenario. Obviously the figure is going to be worse in under prepared health systems like ours.

the 2% is currently 3% and it only represents the % of deaths out of total cases, 70% of which still don't have an outcome
    An alternate way to look at this is counting the % deaths out of all closed cases, which has stabilized at 10% for the last 2 days.

Considering the undetected cases we can probably assume that Death Rate sits between 3% and 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm still thinking the average Joe is more concerned about who wins Love Island and hasn't put any preparation plans in place at all.

Look at what's it done to the Chinese economy and that was with a mammoth almost war time effort to close down cities, build hospitals etc..to contain the virus.

You really think it would be wise to stock up on fuel and food?

the 2% is currently 3% and it only represents the % of deaths out of all cases, 70% of which still don't have an outcome
    An alternate way to look at this is counting the % deaths out of all closed cases, which has stabilized at 10% for the last 2 days.

Considering the undetected cases we probably assume that Death Rate sits between 3% and 10%

Why did you try and call him out on the 2% number when you used the same formula earlier?

Or is it the editional 1% that annoyed you

the 2% is currently 3% and it only represents the % of deaths out of all cases, 70% of which still don't have an outcome

Considering the undetected cases we probably assume that Death Rate sits between 3% and 10%

From a selfish prospective with frail elderly parents I'd be more concerned with the percentage in the over 70's age bracket. I've got them masks and weeks worth of supplies so they don't have to go to shops etc.and can bunker down at home..but they do attend hospitals on a regular basis which is a huge concern.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement