Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    you are being random, the stats are out there, anybody can read them and they are very easy to understand

The figures you're using are accurate but they don't give the full picture because they don't include non-severe cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

you are being random, the stats are out there, anybody can read them and they are very easy to understand

Now don’t run away.

You stated 30% recovery rate. Give me that in a number.

Around fifteen thousand people are infected in Cambodia. No one is reporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

To be perfectly honest i'm not sure there is much to be scared of anyway.

Sooner or later the virus will just be accepted as a reality, to be guarded against - yes, but treated as any other serious illness.

Agreed, the biggest question for me is how people are going to react to the news, especially ones who have been laughing this off or just ignoring it completely. They are the ones most likely to panic simply because they have absolutely no understanding and since they have been in denial (or just not interested) it will be a shock of sorts.

If strict quarantine procedures end up here , it will be a bit of a shock to us all as nobody is familar with such abnormal protocols. I dont anticipate huge issues (as you said its a virus , will come, will cause problems but should eventually improve in hopefully a few months).

Again, this is why I dont get the "tell em nothing" approach to communication. You are just kicking a potential problem down the road and waiting until probably the worst time possible to start educating people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Now don’t run away.

You stated 30% recovery rate. Give me that in a number.

ok, apples to apples

Death 2470 / 78,969 = 3%
    Recovery 23,418 / 78,969 = 30%
    the rest 67% have no outcome, they could be deaths or recoveries

or oranges to oranges

death 2,470 / 25,888 = 10%
    Recovery 23,418 / 25,888 = 90%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Around fifteen thousand people are infected in Cambodia. No one is reporting it.

Would the kisser in chief be one of them, by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

As Dr John sarcastically said, Everybody is grand in North Korea so no need for any information from that basket case.

It really is hard to imagine how this virus isnt in practically every country at this stage considering how hard it can be to detect between incubation periods of up to possibly 3 weeks and many not ever getting it severe enough to raise concerns...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Where are you getting this information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Look you only have yourself to blame.
    People do not read data most only read headlines.

70% of cases are unresolved like you said but the headlines do not reflect this.

Mic 1972 you are like the kid at school that says Santa is not real and the other kids are telling you My Mammy and Daddy says he is real so there.

You're not going to convince these people so you only have yourself to blame for trying.

Best thing you can do is just keeping posting the facts and those that want the facts will read them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Everyone will have been skiing in Italy last week with the midterm, I expect we'll be hearing about our first cases this week.

There's some great reporting on the virus from Al Jazeera.

• Advertisement

Look you only have yourself to blame.
    People do not read data most only read headlines.

70% of cases are unresolved like you said but the headlines do not reflect this.

Mic 1972 you are like the kid at school that says Santa is not real and the other kids are telling you My Mammy and Daddy says he is real so there.

You're not going to convince these people so you only have yourself to blame for trying.

Best thing you can do is just keeping posting the facts and those that want the facts will read them.;)

I will follow your advise, it's becoming frustrating trying to convince Santa believers! :D

ok, apples to apples

2470 / 78,969 = 3%
    23,418 / 78,969 = 30%

or oranges to oranges

2,470 / 25,888 = 10%
    23,418 / 25,888 = 90%

Give up with the numbers and trying to find reason in them. They are wholly unknown and are fictitious in the sense of how they portray the reality, which is poorly, at best. Numbers worth looking at will only be available retrospectively after it's all over.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

?

ok, apples to apples

Death 2470 / 78,969 = 3%
    Recovery 23,418 / 78,969 = 30%
    the rest 67% have no outcome, they could be deaths or recoveries

or oranges to oranges

death 2,470 / 25,888 = 10%
    Recovery 23,418 / 25,888 = 90%

That’s 2 DATA SETS.

Ffs - You are switching between them to counter argue.

People use one. You use the other.

They are completely different lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

One thing this episode does illustrate, assuming the source is as China says, is that it can no longer be culturally acceptable in the 21st century to engage in practices of eating delicacies like bats or whatever.

After this you hope the Chinese authorities would take a dim view and implement harsher measures to try and end these practices.

It's too dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

:eek:

ERKi7lGXkAMHzrk?format=png&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

cnocbui wrote: »
    Give up with the numbers and trying to find reason in them. They are wholly unknown and are fictitious in the sense of how they portray the reality, which is poorly, at best. Numbers worth looking at will only be available retrospectively after it's all over.

Yep. The outcome could be far better or far worse than any statistics show at the moment. It's worth keeping an eye on the stats but there's no use trying to draw any conclusions from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That’s 2 DATA SETS.

Isn't it one data set with the unknowns removed in the second set of figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I would imagine that it’s already here. As mentioned above, if you were asymptomatic or only had a mild dose it is unlikely that most would think Covvid-19.

With people from all over the globe passing through international airports unaware that they are infected I can’t see how it isn’t going to start popping up everywhere. It’ll only be where there is targeted sampling or someone experiencing symptoms that warrant hospitalisation that it will be identified. It explains how countries jump from zero cases to double digits so quickly. It will also help put the current mortality rate into context when the number of infected is better estimated.

• Advertisement

And reportedly, Nepal is trying to get through this, but cases are popping up in Kathmandu now. 40+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

• Unconfirmed cases have no stats, you can't quantify that number so there's no way you can make a % assumption unless you are using imaginary figures
    • 2% (which is now 3%) is based on 70% on unresolved cases, once they are all closed the % will surely be higher, do you think nobody else is gong to die out of that 70%?)

Its just impossible at this stage to give death rate, because if you look only at closed cases which is 10% death rate that does not account for the possible 10s of 1000s of "closed" cases where people in perhaps December or January just got what they thought was a "bad dose", recovered and thought nothing more of it till news started getting out about it, especially younger people who believed they'd no reason to worry.

For all we know Ireland might even already have closed cases.

Ludo wrote: »

Yes, that's what it is. He knows too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Italy and South Korea on high alert over coronavirus
    http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0223/1117075-coronavirus-spread/

SK on red alert

One thing this episode does illustrate, assuming the source is as China says, is that it can no longer be culturally acceptable in the 21st century to engage in practices of eating delicacies like bats or whatever.

After this you hope the Chinese authorities would take a dim view and implement harsher measures to try and end these practices.

It's too dangerous.

They said they intended to ban the trade and consumption of wild animals/insects. They might actually mean it this time after this. Unless it was the lab, in which case it will probably not be implemented.

That’s 2 DATA SETS.

I reported both for you to understand, but you don't understand stats Everybody else in here get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

• Unconfirmed cases have no stats, you can't quantify that number so there's no way you can make a % assumption unless you are using imaginary figure

This again? It's still a number n in the equation that has a massive effect on the final number. Just because you can't assign a value to it currently doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's existence can and only will reduce the death rate.
    • 2% (which is now 3%) is based on 70% on unresolved cases, once they are all closed the % will surely be higher, do you think nobody else is gong to die out of that 70%?)

For unresolved cases the number of infected is not a static number. You are assuming that number and the number of recoveries doesn't also go up in somewhat the same proportion as deaths. I'd imagine serious testing needs to be done to even close a case on a recovery so there's a lag on data there. Where as death data is more readily available.

Yes, that's what it is. He knows too

Rubbish 70% unresolved:rolleyes: yeah right.

No going to fall for that I will be getting my information from the HSE.

Cartoon-Fallacyfallingimpact.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

With the seemingly sudden very rapid rise in numbers in Italy and Iran a new strategy is needed in Ireland. We have so many direct flights to that area of Italy we really need to think about our response. I hope the HSE, army and Garda are getting ready for a similar outbreak here. It's only a matter of time before this is declared a pandemic.

China might be the country that gets away lightest in the end. The have the ability to control populations in a way that other countries like Ireland dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

cnocbui wrote: »
    Only if you are old and already sick - you left out that bit.

You will already be sick after the first infection!!!!!

There is no good hoping

wylo wrote: »
    Its just impossible at this stage to give death rate, because if you look only at closed cases which is 10% death rate that does not account for the possible 10s of 1000s of "closed" cases where people in perhaps December or January just got what they thought was a "bad dose", recovered and thought nothing more of it till news started getting out about it, especially younger people who believed they'd no reason to worry.

For all we know Ireland might even already have closed cases.

that's true, the unreported cases are the big mistery but as we go along more and more actual data is being filed. The % rates are starting to become more consistent. Don't forget that deaths can also go unreported

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another death in Italy

That vegan ad is genius

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231618631487893505

Ludo wrote: »

No.

His first one is a data-set around all total cases 78000 peace’s of data.

His second one is closed cases . 25800 total pieces of data

If a person uses a . Mic uses B...... someone uses B data Mic will use A.

Pointless

He’s saying the death rate is 3-10 %

It can either be 3 or 10 % depending which data set you use.

BloodBath wrote: »
    This again? It's still a number n in the equation that has a massive effect on the final number. Just because you can't assign a value to it currently doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's existence can and only will reduce the death rate.
    For unresolved cases the number of infected is not a static number. You are assuming that number and the number of recoveries doesn't also go up in somewhat the same proportion as deaths. I'd imagine serious testing needs to be done to even close a case on a recovery so there's a lag on data there. Where as death data is more readily available.

I am not assuming anything, i copy/paste numbers from an official source.

Get on to them if you don't like them. There is nothing esle for you to add. They are stats, Key Indicators

that's true, the unreported cases are the big mistery but as we go along more and more actual data is being filed. The % rates are starting to become more consistent. Don't forget that deaths can also go unreported

Can but are far more unlikely. Clutching at straws now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are we not doing right thing to avoid chinese people? Is that not good advice? Thousands of Chinese people in Ireland returned to China for Chinese New Year, and they all returned back to Ireland afterwards.
    I know a chinese restaurant that closed for 4 weeks as they went back to China, it will reopen soon, so you think it's fine to go eat there when they open.? Us Irish would risk it just not to offend someone? Geez

6aaea26e348c05971df691b5a181c037.gif

I reported both for you to understand, but you don't understand stats Everybody else in here get them

Bollox. Your admitting using to different sets.

Stick to one as everyone else is.

No.

His first one is a data-set around all total cases 78000 peace’s of data.

His second one is closed cases . 25800 total pieces of data

If a person uses a . Mic uses B...... someone uses B data Mic will use A.

Pointless

He’s saying the death rate is 3-10 %

It can either be 3 or 10 % depending which data set you use.

I'm reporting both stats because i'm being questioned the data.
    A death rate is always only calculated on closed cases, possibly all reported cases and no more open cases

Bollox. Your admitting using to different sets.

Stick to one as everyone else is.

ok, you are trolling
    cheers mate, bye

Are we not doing right thing to avoid chinese people? Is that not good advice? Thousands of Chinese people in Ireland returned to China for Chinese New Year, and they all returned back to Ireland afterwards.
    I know a chinese restaurant that closed for 4 weeks as they went back to China, it will reopen soon, so you think it's fine to go eat there when they open.? Us Irish would risk it just not to offend someone? Geez

Fook that nobody ever died from being offended.:D

• Advertisement

6aaea26e348c05971df691b5a181c037.gif

You think he made a good point there?

The proportion of unreported deaths vs mild recoveries at home would be minuscule. Chinese people like most are very family oriented. (No pun intended)

There aren't going to be many left at home to die unknown to anyone.

I'm reporting both stats because i'm being questioned the data.
    A death rate is always only calculated on closed cases, possibly all reported cases and no more open cases

So what’s recovered rate based on?

So what’s recovered rate based on?

seriously? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

At this stage its gone beyond China, I suspect in the coming month new cases outside China will out strip those inside China. Italy I would think is a bigger risk now wit the amount of interconnection. Chines new year waas 25 January so I suspect most people would be well back by now, if you want to be totally sure avoid your Chines restaurant until 14 days after the last person returned from China.

The proportion of unreported deaths vs mild recoveries at home would be minuscule. Chinese people like most are very family oriented. (No pun intended)

There aren't going to be many left at home to die unknown to anyone.

Chinese people have been arrested for daring to spread information on the web.

source? show us the data
    people die everyday, do you think they all get tested for corona virus after they are dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

At this stage its gone beyond China, I suspect in the coming month new cases outside China will out strip those inside China. Italy I would think is a bigger risk now wit the amount of interconnection. Chines new year waas 25 January so I suspect most people would be well back by now, if you want to be totally sure avoid your Chines restaurant until 14 days after the last person returned from China.

27 days if this is correct https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-china-health-incubation-idUKKCN20G072?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Up to 157 cases in Italy now. They are testing like mad over there. Up from 113 earlier. Big decisions to be made in the next day or two re flights to Italy.

• Advertisement

mouthful wrote: »

If it is correct, it does seem to be an outlier. I think we need to start checking people boarding flights from Italy to here. Or Italy needs to be checking passengers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement