Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Apparently so. See what happens.

Any links at all to this Cambodian story Ads, that sounds really serious about the infections there or did you just hear it from fellow colleagues.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Gynoid wrote: »
    It is kind of impossible though, I reckon. Every country in Europe will have cases soon, clusters like Italy. Are we going to really close down for the duration of the spread? It could last months, years. All air travel, all sea freight, all movement from abroad? People can be asymptomatic and be spreading so checks are not really workable to stop spreaders. It is a bit of a Pandora's Box situation - the plague cannot be put back in. I cannot see how one could avoid people continuing to walk off planes into Ireland.

That's a decision for government to make and when it comes to economy over health I think I know the answer. We won't see the same measures not even close here to what China has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Bottom line is many people can't afford to stay at home sick because their jobs terms and conditions have destroyed their entitlements.

They simply don't get paid unless they turn up hence you have people spreading viruses in workplaces unnecessarily

Even aside from that you have people turning up because of an idiotic sense of pride (you know the type, think its beneath them to let illness keep them off work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Four new UK cases. They came off the cruise ship.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51606368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/sapporo-news/20200223/7000018248.html
    8 more in Japan including a 20 year old man in a critical condition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Even aside from that you have people turning up because of an idiotic sense of pride (you know the type, think its beneath them to let illness keep them off work).

There should be a special place in hell for that sort. "I haven't missed a day off work in 10 years" should translate to " I come into work even when I'm sick because I don't care about other people "

Any links at all to this Cambodian story Ads, that sounds really serious about the infections there or did you just hear it from fellow colleagues.

Na, I just made that up to amuse myself. Policy is that CA users should fact check nonsense and posters can make stuff up.

Anything I say about Vietnam though will always be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,664 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    stopping flights, nobody leaves, nobody arrives, quarantine ourselves for a month and watch. We are still on time for it

You honestly think this is a valid solution:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Interesting study shared by David Sinclair on Resveratrol ( natural compound found in grape seeds and skin and in red wine, against MERS-CoV infection). (highly respected Australian biologist )~

Resveratrol significantly inhibited MERS-CoV infection and prolonged cellular survival after virus infection. We also found that the expression of nucleocapsid (N) protein essential for MERS-CoV replication was decreased after resveratrol treatment. Furthermore, resveratrol down-regulated the apoptosis induced by MERS-CoV in vitro. By consecutive administration of resveratrol, we were able to reduce the concentration of resveratrol while achieving inhibitory effectiveness against MERS-CoV.

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-017-2253-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

So Dr James Campbell says dont take paracetamol to reduce fever in order to make conditions uncomfortable for the virus. Someone posted a guide for healthcare workers there a few posts back. It says do give medication for fever. Hard to know what is best to do 🀒🀯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231556106264219648
    Temperature in Singapore is above 30c for the next few weeks. People wondering is this a factor in the decreasing numbers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BanditLuke wrote: »
    There should be a special place in hell for that sort. "I haven't missed a day off work in 10 years" should translate to " I come into work even when I'm sick because I don't care about other people "

Even worse where I work we can work from home anytime yet we still get the Typhoid Mary's coming in and spreading whatever plagues they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

inatissy wrote: »
    So Dr James Campbell says dont take paracetamol to reduce fever in order to make conditions uncomfortable for the virus. Someone posted a guide for healthcare workers there a few posts back. It says do give medication for fever. Hard to know what is best to do ����

It's strange, many health organisations are recommending meds like paracetomol.

You would think there would be fairly conclusive reports on other SARS like viruses that would investigate if keeping a patients temperature high is benificial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Temperature in Singapore is above 30c for the next few weeks. People wondering is this a factor in the decreasing numbers.

Thank you, this thread and the news of it in general is starting to take a hold on me to be honest!

wylo wrote: »
    Thank you, this thread and the news of it in general is starting to take a hold on me to be honest!

Careful, anxiety can lower your immune system.

• Advertisement

ERdy8-Rs-Xk-AA6-Ndi.png

Singapore has an excellent health care system and is of course like China a country where people listen to the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heat can't do any harm apparently. Virus does not react well.

I wonder will we see a collapse in cases as we move toward summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

no deaths, that's impressive

Singapore is also a city-state which gives them advantage in many areas.

It will slow it at the very least, it's the case for most viral infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Venice carnival has been cancelled. Things are getting serious on our doorstep now

Was sceptical because of Iran, thinking it would be hot and humid there but Qom is only 12 degrees atm and Tehran 11 degrees, so hopefully a ray of optimism with the Singapore story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if it doesn't get any traction in the southern hemisphere that would be a good sign too despite East and South Africa having decent Chinese links

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

inatissy wrote: »
    So Dr James Campbell says dont take paracetamol to reduce fever in order to make conditions uncomfortable for the virus. Someone posted a guide for healthcare workers there a few posts back. It says do give medication for fever. Hard to know what is best to do ����

I guess it’s your call how comfortable you are with having a fever.

I’ve been brought up to not take anything for fever and ride it out.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Venice carnival has been cancelled. Things are getting serious on our doorstep now

Honestly, without the outbreak in Italy and Venice Carnival going ahead as normal, it would have been the worst possible scenario for mass infection. Not a chance to track down spreaders in that mess, people from all over the world rubbing against each other in tight lanes for days

https://jvi.asm.org/content/88/14/7692

Study showing effect of temperature and humidity.
    Hot and humid slows spread like Singapore , cold and low humidity like Italy is conducive to spread.

https://jvi.asm.org/content/88/14/7692

Study showing effect of temperature and humidity.
    Hot and humid slows spread like Singapore , cold and low humidity like Italy is conducive to spread.

That's influenza, this is another thing. We hope it will follow trends but evidence is scarse for now. Humid and warm countries are effected too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Honestly, without the outbreak in Italy and Venice Carnival going ahead as normal, it would have been the worst possible scenario for mass infection. Not a chance to track down spreaders in that mess, people from all over the world rubbing against each other in tight lanes for days
    Shame it's been going on since February 8th and they've only closed the last couple of days of it though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, it doesn't get warm here in summer, bar about 4 days.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, it doesn't get warm here in summer, bar about 4 days.

Yet the flu is seasonal and thrives in cold temperatures.
    Ireland is significantly wamer in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

What about wind ? We have plenty of that here.... Shouldn’t it just blow this thing away ? Combine it with regular whiskey and people should be grand ?

Life seems normal in Milan....

Public gatherings and events cancelled but you have to wonder that anyone in this stream could have COVID19 considering the cases are only 60km away

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lombardia/milano/duomo-milano.html

What about wind ? We have plenty of that here.... Shouldn’t it just blow this thing away ? Combine it with regular whiskey and people should be grand ?

Never thought of that, come to think of it there has been no confirmed cases in Scotland either, another barren and windy place at times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

3rd person dies in Italy due to covid, when are the government going to speak to the people! News bulletin needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

David Sinclair thinks this is a big factor. Hopefully its true. But then next winter could be a tough time again. WHO will announce a pandemic tomorrow I would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

tillyfilly wrote: »
    3rd person dies in Italy due to covid, when are the government going to speak to the people! News bulletin needed

Look stop asking questions just watch Dancing With The Stars on RTE tonight you know RTE cover the important stuff.:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just like St Patrick's Day here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/world-is-approaching-coronavirus-tipping-point-experts-say Really good summary of the days event. This about sums it up for me:

Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia and an authority on the new coronavirus infection, echoed Tedros’s warning and said the time for containing the disease was running out.

“The directorgeneral of the WHO has recently spoken of a narrowing of the window of opportunity to control the current epidemic,” he said. “The tipping point after which our ability to prevent a global pandemic ends seems a lot closer after the past 24 hours.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Look stop asking questions just watch Dancing With The Stars on RTE tonight you know RTE cover the important stuff.:D
    its disconcerting
    :eek:

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t speak too soon..

Meanwhile is Venice

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/piazza-san-marco.html

I was due to fly Dublin to Venice on Feb 19th - I didn't take the flight, but I just notice my check-in email (Aer Lingus) has

"Coronavirus US travel restrictions: If you are due to travel to the United States and have been in mainland China in the last 14 days, we ask that you contact us on +353 1 761 7844 or via this link before you start your journey."

Has anyone else flown recently/had something like this? It would be perhaps reassuring if, for example, flights from China (this email was a week ago) to, say, Ireland were treated similarly..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have to agree with this sentiment on zero cases (tweet 2) Also are Italy’s numbers rising because they are testing so many. https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1231643365051162625?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Ficheall wrote: »
    I was due to fly Dublin to Venice on Feb 19th - I didn't take the flight, but I just notice my check-in email (Aer Lingus) has

"Coronavirus US travel restrictions: If you are due to travel to the United States and have been in mainland China in the last 14 days, we ask that you contact us on +353 1 761 7844 or via this link before you start your journey."

Has anyone else flown recently/had something like this? It would be perhaps reassuring if, for example, flights from China (this email was a week ago) to, say, Ireland were treated similarly..

I understood there were no direct flights to China from here, am I wrong??

mouthful wrote: »
    Fair point - bad example :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mouthful wrote: »

Think they were to be introduced this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

, people from all over the world rubbing against each other in tight lanes for days

And this is in Venice, you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Air travel will not cease, and at this stage probably shouldn't just yet.

But it may in time be a conduit for further infections globally.

Just look on FR24 to see the amount of flights over the affected areas.

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, and keep washing your hands. Thoroughly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Ficheall wrote: »

The US has restrictions that say anyone who has been in China who is not a US citizen cannot enter the country for 2 weeks post visit to China. Doesn’t matter where they’re flying from. You could fly from China to the UK to Ireland and try to get into the US 12 days after you left China and they won’t let you in. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-china.html

There are reported 132 cases in Italy, some reports are the the virus numbers double every 6 days or so. This means if the reports of those infected are correct it is most likely that the first infection in theses clusters was about 25-30 days ago. Some time around the 25 Jan perhaps. That is a pretty long time for so many to develop and be largely undetected and of course would perhaps indicate that there are more infections that we dont know about yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Public awareness is very poor in relation to this, people are still flying over and back to Northern Italy with no restrictions or awareness of what’s happening. I think this is a bad tactic to employ, and it will stoke panic and mistrust in the authorities. We need decisive action from the people in charge, not leaflets and out of date information on the HSE website.
    1. Acting minister for health or director of the HSE needs to call a press conference and state what measures, if any people could take now. Eg, hygiene, hand washes, not going into work if you have information that you might have been exposed, etc, NOT to go into a crowded GP waiting room or A & E and what numbers to ring.
    2. Update your website information!! Don’t keep passing the book to the WHO and European CDC which have so far proved to be utterly inadequate. Update travel information to pretty much all of Asia, Italy& Iran do it regularly to show you’re actually keeping a track of this threat & are acting efficiently.
    3. Advise people to keep in touch with the news over the next few days. Develop an app or government information system to communicate to the public in areas that might become affected.
    4. Set up temperature checks at Dublin airport, it will help slow spread a little and is not a pointless exercise. Time is what we need now, or the services here will be completely overwhelmed.

There could well be more cases of Coronavirus in Europe but perhaps Italy are testing more people now they're aware it is circulating.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement