Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

There was something on the news a week or two ago, Indeed™ told 1,000 staff (Ire & Aus) to work from their PJ's (at home), as one visitor/consultant was in China, Singapore or somewhere before visiting Dub/Syd.

Heard somewhere that something like 90% of the bigger MNC's are non-nationals (another subject there for another day), imagine many might do a bit of air travel from month to month.

I work for a Multinational. There is easily a high majority of non nationals working in our building from all over Europe and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

gozunda wrote: »
    Would he fek away off with your logic and common sense! Sure it'll be grand. The media have this one covered. ;)

The HSE should be taking there advice straight from this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I do hope that yellow alert does not refer to our Chinese friends, but the brown alert is something else altogether. Would not be allowed at all because of the R word.

But I know what you mean :cool:

What thinking more ones and twos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That's nothing, Venice gets really packed the last 2 days of carnival, it's crazy

I do hope that yellow alert does not refer to our Chinese friends, but the brown alert is something else altogether. Would not be allowed at all because of the R word.

Are you being serious??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

MD1990 wrote: »
    CFR much higher than 3% in Irana according to Campbell
    Campbell says the Virus may have mutated to a more deadly disease in Iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02TwdiRUJTA

11:00 onwards

He got that info from a friend of a friend of a friend , very suprised at him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

To be fair to all the Civil Servants, sure it was a grand aul day for the stickball golf game today.
    1st bit of sunshine in ages, light winds, and just before the flu-fog arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

For those criticising the Irish authorities and comparing them to the UK authorities, we are just as in the dark as you. Doesn't feel like there's much leadership going on but I guess the proof will be in the pudding and we might be thanking a lot of unsung heroes if this doesn't turn into a disaster movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What thinking more ones and twos.

Yeah I know, but I tried to make it objectionable on racist grounds.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That's nothing, Venice gets really packed the last 2 days of carnival, it's crazy

Just think it only takes 1 of them to be infected and many of the rest could test positive by next week.

• Advertisement

Just think it only takes 1 of them to be infected and many of the rest could test positive by next week.

Are you sure?

Are you being serious??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Ha. And I read that as 'pee pants' and 'sh*t pants time' for brown alert... Totally missed the racism...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Some of the patients in Lombardy diagnosed with COVID-19 have been in intensive care for up to two weeks before being diagnosed

Isnt that crazy? One of the 3 victims was tested after she was died, and tested positive

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Ha. And I read that as 'pee pants' and 'sh*t pants time' for brown alert... Totally missed the racism...

There was no racism...

That is what I meant pee and poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

That is what I meant pee and poo.

Ah cool. :-) .. Sorry read about reservatol inhibiting similar viruses and cracked open the red wine..
    It's medicinal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

There was something on the news a week or two ago, Indeed™ told 1,000 staff (Ire & Aus) to work from their PJ's (at home), as one visitor/consultant was in China, Singapore or somewhere before visiting Dub/Syd.

Heard somewhere that something like 90% of the bigger MNC's are non-nationals (another subject there for another day), imagine many might do a bit of air travel from month to month.

I don't think the company would even have to be very big for this to spread. If you think about one family who may have gone to Italy on the mid term break. Nobody showed signs of having the virus near them, none of the Irish family showed any symptoms until a couple of weeks after they return home to Ireland.

The father goes to his office, travels by train, goes to meetings, shakes hands, holds door handles etc.

The wife goes to her workplace, different travel route, does all the normal touching of doors, stairs, etc

Kids go to creche/school.

Can so easily happen, virus so possibly in Ireland already.

Happened in Italy literally over the weekend, all of a sudden schools closed, public events cancelled.

It's so serious, can't understand why there isn't more of an effort by the government/hse to try to prevent this. Will be interesting to see what happens during the week.

Ah cool. :-) .. Sorry read about reservatol inhibiting similar viruses and cracked open the red wine..
    It's medicinal!!

What was it two posters said to me yesterday Current Affairs is more high brow than After Hours.

I thought the poster saying racism was joking.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dr Johns video today was more depressing then yesterday’s.

– SK cases trebled over the last 3 days
    – spreader in Italy may be able to spread but have no symptoms and isn’t sick! Pretty much impossible to find people like this.
    – Iranian figures appear higher for severity and death rates, possible mutation that could mean a more severe form of the virus. Significant under reporting of cases
    – An Iranian doctor who just died apparently contracted it 4 weeks ago in a small town in Iran. Suggets it’s prob been spread way more and a lot further then we know.
    – The mayor of Tehran’s district 13 is infected and he was only at a Friday’s prayers thing that had 10,000 people attending. Apparently they sit close together and kissing and shaking hands is the cultural norm here
    – some people testing negative and then subsequently positive. Further evidence we don’t know if some people are infected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

met a Chinese friend today works in cork. they say first infections not in market, was before that talking to home.
    they are staying in ireland now for next while had flights booked to go home cancelled.
    her relatives are terrified covid19 showed up in a block away friday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Check the HSE website all is fine.:D
    Wash those handies!

Are you sure?

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Wash those handies!

It's so practial and easy to do but I doubt anyone who does not already will start.
    If people won't make small changes you can't expect advice on anything else to be of any use.

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I don't think the company would even have to be very big for this to spread. .... holds door handles etc.

...Happened in Italy literally over the weekend, all of a sudden schools closed, public events cancelled.

It's so serious, can't understand why there isn't more of an effort by the government/hse to try to prevent this. Will be interesting to see what happens during the week.

Agree wouldn't take much to affect daily life, and the procedures would be huge (but still generally deployable at short notice).

So work from home for everyone (where possible) e-learning for students, limitations on shopping and all other gatherings. Thankfully the interweb is ideal for many of these. A few more robots would be perfect, but only Jap/China have them so far in any real sense.

One bonus with the door handles, is that 'brass' knockers may be a slightly unfriendly enrvironmnent for bugs and viruses, silver and copper even better.

?

Be Positive by next week.

Are you sure.

;)

Wouldn’t it be odd if the financial markets tanking In response to this virus and all the issues it’s going to cause, was the method in which most people start to take this seriously?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be odd if the financial markets tanking In response to this virus and all the issues it’s going to cause, was the method in which most people start to take this seriously?

Will all the manufacturing loss in China alone this thing is going to hit really hard soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

pc7 wrote: »

Are they gonna isolate the train and wait for several hundred people to show up positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What was it two posters said to me yesterday Current Affairs is more high brow than After Hours.

I thought the poster saying racism was joking.:D

In case that was me, yes I was having a laugh. Hope the SJWs don't descend. It's looking good so far.

To my mind it is really ok to satirise and have a go. As long as it is not personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not odd at all, finance is possibly the number one motivator in society.

Over 155 cases now for Italy, overtakes Japan's 135(+).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Already on sky news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

That’s a reasonably significant development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Ah jaysus lads, I gave up my Friday night Chinese food because of this now your telling me my Italian fish and chips is next ffs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

fritzelly wrote: »
    Are they gonna isolate the train and wait for several hundred people to show up positive

I’ve no idea, not a huge amount of detail in the article, big move by Austria.

tuxy wrote: »
    Not odd at all, finance is possibly the number one motivator in society.

It was sort of posted tongue in cheek. It’s actually quite sad that this is prob when all will take it seriously, we really are a hopelessly greedy and shallow species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I'm beginning to think many countries have cases of Covid19 in hospitals right now and they just haven't been properly diagnosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Over 155 cases now for Italy, overtakes Japan's 135(+).

Up until now it was kind of a serious issue far away from Europe but this will surely focus minds in Europe if they haven't already.

• Advertisement

No doubt the Nikkei 225 will take a nunchaku the nuts shortly, when it opens, later (EST) the DJIA will start with the -2% hangover still fresh from Friday.

The Borsa Italiana (MIL) will likely have a very bad time from 09:00 CET onwards

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think many countries have cases of Covid19 in hospitals right now and they just haven't been properly diagnosed.

:confused::confused::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

its crazy that italy of all places became the second most infected country outside China in the space of 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ah jaysus lads, I gave up my Friday night Chinese food because of this now your telling me my Italian fish and chips is next ffs.

Don't think this is funny at all tbh. It's killed over 2600 worldwide thus far. This isn't after hours

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Up until now it was kind of a serious issue far away from Europe but this will surely focus minds in Europe if they haven't already.
    Sure is a wake-up call. The whole train thing is curious. Back in the days of H1N1 (even after the WHO offical warning), some offical dropped a lab sample of it in onto a train floor in Austria, had to be evacuated at next stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I think it's been around for a while, all over the place. Remember the thread about the particularly bad "dose" going around around christmas? Makes you wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Don't think this is funny at all tbh. It's killed over 2600 worldwide thus far. This isn't after hours

I'm Irish, humour is how I deal with stuff, get off your high horse.

Nobody is making fun of the dead.

This subject is not funny in the least but better to keep our sprits up.

The enemy here is a virus we are ALL potential targets.

On the off chance it gets me I am not going to spend what time I have left worried and depressed.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It’s killed significantly less than the flu among same numbers infected.

Yes it spreads easily but for the vast majority it isnt deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nobody is making fun of the dead.

This subject is not funny in the least but better to keep our sprits up.

The enemy here is a virus we are ALL potential targets.

On the off chance it gets me I am not going to spend what time I have left worried and depressed.:)

What time you have left? It's highly likely that even if you do get it, you will survive. Why are people acting like the fatality rate is 100%?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement