Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

In contact with a teacher in Milan. All schools closed. Major shutdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

How do we know though?

No knowledge or testing available until late December/Early January.

It was a particularly rampant dose, worse than a regular cold too. I know several people who were hospitalised with it.

It's possible, maybe not likely but certainly possible. This thing could already be around a long time but it was only noticed when it hit a highly populated region like China.

It might not have started there.

It is not possible, based on multiple independent lines of evidence.

Here are some:

All SARS-CoV-2 whole genome sequences isolated around the world show high similarity and can be traced back to a recent single origin estimated around Dec 2019, in China.

If the virus were already circulating here it would have been picked up at high levels in the tests done so far - >5k in the UK alone, with a handful of positives, all traceable to recent travel to China or contact with people who have recently travelled to China.

Meanwhile, regular flu surveillance in the UK and here *did* identify flu viruses in symptomatic people over the winter period.
    There is extensive weekly reporting in both countries (indeed all developed nations) on which flu strains are circulating and how prevalent they are. What we had in December was flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Austria has already suspended all trains in and out of Italy.

A big worry for anyone travelling abroad soon would be getting stuck in a lock down somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Positives
    Weather will gradually get warmer - hopefully it will slow it down ...
    This is true, but often it just moves to the Southern Hem, the Aussies catch their cold when it's gets sunny in Lapland, then switches back to the North for the following season.

The H1N1 is still kicking about and mutating slightly over in the States, this one might (hopefully not) be around for a decade or so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just came on to post the same, all trains now https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231688863191617536?s=21

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting some supplies in so was doing some research today. Is powdered milk available in Ireland? I'll need a substitute for milk that has a longer shelf life. Is soya milk as awful as it used to be?!!

I can’t see it on Tesco’s website but you can get it in Asda if you’re near Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

pc7 wrote: »
    Just came on to post the same, all trains now https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231688863191617536?s=21

Serous question what about flights?

Edit I think this is where this sh*t starts to get real for those still in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Major move by Austria that. Has to be respected putting it's citizens first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Saw a Twitter comment saying why no cases in India and someone said the virus can't transmit in temperatures over 24 degrees - wishful thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Italy was the first country to stop flights to/from China. The ban was in place already end of January causing controversy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

darjeeling wrote: »
    It is not possible, based on multiple independent lines of evidence.
    Agree, ever a komputer virus signature can usually be traced back to some hoodie in a basement of the red faction. Or to those other lads that like to use Ire PP's when flying about sticking their stux net into overseas chargepoints.

fr336 wrote: »
    Saw a Twitter comment saying why no cases in India and someone said the virus can't transmit in temperatures over 24 degrees - wishful thinking?

No idea but let's all hope that's true.

I once saw a Twitter post saying Elvis was abducted by Aliens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Serous question what about flights?

l.

Maybe not as easy to do? Likely locking out lots of your own citizens? Not sure of border set up, are they letting cars in? Is there border checks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What seems probable is that it can spread in just about any climite. But it will not last long in wamer climites.

I can't understand the big deal about closing borders and other major measures. If the economy is so fragile it can't not collapse for even a day or week, what does that tell us? And you know that thing called snow which grinds Ireland and UK to a halt for days on end? The economy doesn't implode after snow, does it. I just feel it's pure greed in today's world, any last penny to be made and it takes priority. Constant growth, growth, growth la la la...anyway that's for another thread.

People who think we're scaremongering in here really shouldn't search for this on Twitter..

One thing that won’t help here is that Irish people, especially the elderly, cling to using cash. I am puzzled
    by it; even the young folk in Dundrum SC fumble for coins to pay for parking when a quick tap of the card would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

scotchy wrote: »
    I think the Government jet can be set up as a medi vac from what I remember.

Yep, it doubles up as a medi-vac flight, used a lot by crumlin and temple st to bring sick kids over and back to UK for critical ops that aren't carried out here.

• Advertisement

:D Rubbish, everyone knows Elvis shot Kennedy and it was a revenge hit.

One thing that won’t help here is that Irish people, especially the elderly, cling to using cash. I am puzzled
    by it; even the young folk in Dundrum SC fumble for coins to pay for parking when a quick tap of the card would do.

I was always dead against contactless, thought it was less secure or something. Since this started I'm using contactless all the time - no PIN entries where other people have been. And cash only for taxi drivers - they can keep the change!

Cash is king and will remain king in my world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

How long will schools in Milan be shut for ?
    same for travel restrictions ? we talking weeks or months here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

People who think we're scaremongering in here really shouldn't search for this on Twitter..

Big time, I made the mistake of searching for #coronavirus on twitter yesterday - jesus the amount of ****e!!!

Was like reading excerpts from Stephen Kings The Stand

I come here as it's quite level headed - realistic but fair.

Like Dr. John Videos , facts don't care about feelings ! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

If you get an answer, DM me and we’ll head down to PP, I’ll cut you in on my winnings.

• Advertisement

Still to early to say. If it goes full wuhan then possibly months, if contained then days possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, plans to open 70 extra hospitals
    http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-la-france-achete-des-dizaines-de-millions-de-masques-23-02-2020-8265609.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Not sure but I'd say a fortnight at a minimum or until they find the source of the infection. Vietnam has closed all schools until end of march according to Dr John Campbell.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Still to early to say. If it goes full wuhan then possibly months, if contained then days possibly.

Would be the same if we were to close the ports like some want.
    Could be no flights or ferries until summer time. Not sure how well that would work for an island nation like us.

wakka12 wrote: »
    This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, to open 70 new hospitals
    http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-la-france-achete-des-dizaines-de-millions-de-masques-23-02-2020-8265609.php

Thank you Wakka, for making a bad day 10 times worse lol

• Advertisement

This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, to open 70 new hospitals

Yes and we were overreacting and scaring people.

Related but very random question - how much of an impact does being teetotal have on your immune system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Nobody knows, that's the scary thing.

Millions in Wuhan have been in lock down for a month now.

Its terrifying, how are they managing there for essentials and why aren't we hearing much from the region?

Thank you Wakka, for making a bad day 10 times worse lol

If it makes you feel any better the HSE will be doing sweet FA.

Related but very random question - how much of an impact does being teetotal have on your immune system?

It has a hugely positive benefit, alcohol greatly negatively impacts your immune system and its why the risk of many cancers increases so much with alcohol abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Watch Air Travel. It is not going to change unless we refuse to board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,387 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is just mad lads

They must be hysterical!

Oh no wait this is what a capable country does to protect itself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nobody knows, that's the scary thing.

Millions in Wuhan have been in lock down for a month now.

Its terrifying, how are they managing there for essentials and why aren't we hearing much from the region?

Because it's basically a disaster zone and the type of measures the chinese have to use there are not for public consumption.

Just over 800 posts to go and we will have a new thread.

Points to be discussed for the opening post?

1. The thread title should be capitalised.

2. Whoever of us gets the virus first has to pledge to keep posting or they forfeit their spam and beans they’ve stockpiled.

3. Some quick and easy recipes (including how to make bread) should be included.

Anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Hanging out in Dubai airport for seven hours, I'd say 1% of people have masks. I saw one guy with an n95 mask, he must be gasping for breath wearing that all day.

Suddenly I'm very concious of how many people cough and sputter regularly, we need to ban cigarettes.

• Advertisement

2. Whoever of us gets the virus first has to pledge to keep posting or they forfeit their spam and beans they’ve stockpiled.

3. Some quick and easy recipes (including how to make bread) should be included.

Anything else?

But mostly especially this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was always dead against contactless, thought it was less secure or something. Since this started I'm using contactless all the time - no PIN entries where other people have been. And cash only for taxi drivers - they can keep the change!

How do you manage door handles, bannister rails, escalator belts, café table tops, bus seats, shopping trollies, paper copies of reports/forms, door keypads, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This is just mad lads

Jesus, 70 hospitals?! We can't even open one! (childrens hospital)

Anything else?

Plenty of spam on this thread already and we don't need anything that causes more farting either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This is just mad lads

That’s not quite what it said. An additional 70 hospitals will be able to look after patients.
    If so far, 38 health facilities were able to accommodate possible patients, as of Monday, will add 70 facilities.

The google translate says 70 health establishments not hospitals.

Can someone who can speak French confirm it's 70 hospitals?

But mostly especially this :mad:

I knew someone was driven nuts over it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Anything else?

Has there been any research into the effect of hot whiskeys on the virus?

I assume they are some kind 'reserve' hospitals though rather than new builds as they are opening them tomorrow

• Advertisement

How could they staff so many new sites?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement