Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ZX7R wrote: »
    65 people have been tested in Ireland since January according to the hse,
    it was on the news during the week,all negative but still shows it was a worry for them .

Wonder who the 65 were and why they were chosen for testing.

Methinks there is some kind of cover up or mitigation going on all over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,389 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

saabsaab wrote: »
    If this got a hold in Dublin is there a plan to move Government away from danger out to a safer place? Many of our officials and representatives are over 50 and aren't from Dublin anyway.

What government would they move!

I think Mickey D needs to declare martial law and assume command...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If this got a hold in Dublin is there a plan to move Government away from danger out to a safer place? Many of our officials and representatives are over 50 and aren't from Dublin anyway.

Losing some of them would be a positive

tuxy wrote: »
    Even still it would be interesting for a country to have 70 hospitals closed and ready to open for an emergency.

Yeah my first thought was opening 70 make shift hospitals of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

BanditLuke wrote: »

I know you are joking but they are people too and are needed to take democratic decisions to fight this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,389 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ZX7R wrote: »
    To be fair it could spread quicker on mainland Europe .
    Ireland probably hoping to escape been an island.

Unfortunately hope seems to be the basis of our policy...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

BanditLuke wrote: »

We don't know yet who will form a Government now, the last set up is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Unfortunately hope seems to be the basis of our policy...
    with the advent of aeroplane and boats we are no longer an isolated island

Where’s the poster called Martina? She seems to have the inside scoop and her silence is worrying me.

Add to that The Dazzler said he was concerned now aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where’s the poster called Martina? She seems to have the inside scoop and her silence is worrying me.

Add to that The Dazzler said he was concerned now aswell.

Did he? That sounds unlikely, pretty sure he said that it was still not worth the hysterics just yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Apparently the first case in Italy of the 38 year-old man, read that he is in critical condition and is currently in ICU.

14 of his contacts are also in serious condition but the person who it was thought he caught it from (the person who had been to China) has tested negative for Coronavirus antibodies.

The transmission seems unusual with the emergence of 'superspreaders' and the lengthy incubation period.

I must admit. The 38 year dying in Italy is a bit concerning. Was healthy. Current worry level would be 4\10.

FYI wakka

wakka12 wrote: »
    Did he? That sounds unlikely, pretty sure he said that it was still not worth the hysterics just yesterday.

He said he's at 4/10 on the concerned scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Damien360 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, would the Ireland v Italy rugby game on 7th March be in jeopardy. Who gets to call that off ?
    Unlikely I'd say. Any passengers from the directly affected areas will not be allowed out of their towns, and if it takes hold within wider Italy then it'll end up all over Europe. I can't see the government ever blocking travel from a fellow EU member. It would only happen if the Italian government asked for it to be called off, which is a face-saving move on behalf of both governments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

hmmm wrote: »
    Unlikely I'd say. Any passengers from the directly affected areas will not be allowed out of their towns, and if it takes hold within wider Italy then it'll end up all over Europe. I can't see the government ever blocking travel from a fellow EU member. It would only happen if the Italian government asked for it to be called off, which is a face-saving move on behalf of both governments.

Did blocking travel for the 6 Nations not happen during the mad cow disease outbreak? In saying that think it will be unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Did blocking travel for the 6 Nations not happen during the mad cow disease outbreak?

No that would make no sense, how would that help?

I believe the foot and mouth outbreak did impact it though.

Even still it would be interesting for a country to have 70 hospitals closed and ready to open for an emergency.
    Ireland has several hospitals around the country which were previously TB hospitals, and could be quickly converted.

"Hospitals" doesn't have to mean anything too advanced, a bed and a paracetamol is what most people will need. It would be a way to keep infected people in quarantine until they can recover, and more serious cases can quickly be identified. Very similar to what we did with TB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Italy is following the kind of lockdown procedures we’ve seen in China, and their neighbours are starting to follow the kind of border lockdowns (EU or no EU) we saw with China, first one type of transport then escalation. And we know there is precedent in planning for shutting down EU borders in extraordinary circumstances.

If this outbreak tracks the way China went and the way Korea is going, there won’t be travel by March 7th, certainly not for a great big sporting gathering.

Ireland has several hospitals around the country which were previously TB hospitals, and could be quickly converted.

"Hospitals" doesn't have to mean anything too advanced, a bed and a paracetamol is what most people will need. It would be a way to keep infected people in quarantine until they can recover, and more serious cases can quickly be identified. Very similar to what we did with TB.

Where are these places you refer to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Yes this was really worrying me too.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any room could be turned into a treatment centre. I still would not call this a hospital.
    The french article does not mention hospitals so I do not understand why someone linking to it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Why do many cases in Italy I wonder? Numbers way higher than other European countries. Could it even be hand shaking at mass ( if they still do that there), shot in the dark but numbers so high you’d wonder why. Should be doing more preventative stuff here though hand sanitizer in all shops, schools, public spaces etc. A friend is a frequent flier and now uses antiseptic wipes to wipe down seat in plane and pull down tray.

Just get your sliced pans, butter, cheese, beans, drinking water, and grog of your choice.

We will survive. Hopefully, but no harm in stocking up on the essentials, as above.

Alcohol is the major thing in a crisis though, so make it first on the list. Everything will be ok after that. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Any room could be turned into a treatment centre. I still would not call this a hospital.
    The french article does not mention hospitals so I do not understand why someone linking to it would.

Because it adds to the drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Is anyone considering stocking up? Or are we not at that level of panic yet? The escalation in Italy in just 24 hrs is slightly alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

wakka12 wrote: »
    This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, plans to open 70 extra hospitals
    http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-la-france-achete-des-dizaines-de-millions-de-masques-23-02-2020-8265609.php

Probably for the cost of one hospital in Ireland. C'est normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

citysights wrote: »
    Why do many cases in Italy I wonder? Numbers way higher than other European countries.
    Probably more rigorous testing. Notwithstanding the number of false negatives, an indication of how many tested negative for the virus could be useful info.

Is anyone considering stocking up? Or are we not at that level of panic yet? The escalation in Italy in just 24 hrs is slightly alarming.

Personally I still do not feel the need. If a similar scale of epidemic as in Italy emerged in the UK though I would start buying some extra things but still not 'panic buying' full trolleys of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Just checked the hse website, hopefully they'll have more accurate information tomorrow. They make a point that packages from China can't carry the virus. Is this proven? If someone sneezes on a surface, I thought it could survive up to 27 days. Does this not apply to packages also?

(Not that I have avoided any, just curious how they can say that for sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why do many cases in Italy I wonder? Numbers way higher than other European countries. Could it even be hand shaking at mass ( if they still do that there), shot in the dark but numbers so high you’d wonder why. Should be doing more preventative stuff here though hand sanitizer in all shops, schools, public spaces etc. A friend is a frequent flier and now uses antiseptic wipes to wipe down seat in plane and pull down tray.

Kissing as a greeting for one as well.

• Advertisement

Why do many cases in Italy I wonder? Numbers way higher than other European countries.
    It's because 2 cases ended up in hospital where they were detected, and they are now rapidly testing everyone who was a close contact of the people in hospital. As they test more, they find more "hidden" infections.

Other countries might have cases, but won't realise it until the more serious also end up in hospital.

It's hard to say whether Italy has more or less cases than elsewhere in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Be prudent and pick up a few extra things when you are at the shops. Not mad panic buying, but an extra couple of bags of rice/pasta etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Not quite there yet. Have hand sanitizer and bleach and mop the floors everyday. All dirty clothes into the washing machine straight away. Probably things I should be doing everyday anyway lol

I think it'd be wise to keep a week's worth of food in case you're asked to quarantine. If everyone started loading up we'd have empty supermarkets, so for all our sakes I suggest better to just add a couple of items every time you do a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

I have family in Italy and it happened so quickly, could easily be us in a day or two. I put in my online shopping order tonight! Many might think I'm mad but I'd rather have the stuff there for my family just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

May as well call off the Italy game for Dublin now.

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I have family in Italy and it happened so quickly, could easily be us in a day or two. I put in my online shopping order tonight! Many might think I'm mad but I'd rather have the stuff there for my family just in case

Yeah I agree, I mean its mostly stuff you'll use anyway so whats the harm. Pasta, Rice, water, canned goods all have a long shelf life anyway so won't go to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Highest number of confirmed cases in a non Asian region and third highest worldwide.

And to think Italy stopped all flights in and out of China 3 weeks ago. I think its only the tip of the iceberg, I hope they can manage to contain it but who knows at this stage, it seems to be such an insidious virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Delta2113 wrote: »
    May as well call off the Italy game for Dublin now.
    That should be done regardless of the Coronavirus, Italy are woeful at the moment!

• Advertisement

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Just checked the hse website, hopefully they'll have more accurate information tomorrow. They make a point that packages from China can't carry the virus. Is this proven? If someone sneezes on a surface, I thought it could survive up to 27 days. Does this not apply to packages also?

(Not that I have avoided any, just curious how they can say that for sure)

It did get me thinking for a brief moment. Would regularly receive packages from China. And I have a serious case of man-flu for the last few days! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And I have a serious case of man-flu for the last few days! :)

That's even worse than this - take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yeah I agree, I mean its mostly stuff you'll use anyway so whats the harm. Pasta, Rice, water, canned goods all have a long shelf life anyway so won't go to waste.

Water? It comes out of the tap!

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's even worse than this - take care

Now that’s a real affliction!

That water needs to be treated to be safe to drink.
    Not safe to drink with the impending collapse of society.

I like the fizzy type.

• Advertisement

I'd say it is under reported in many tourist countries

UAE is on my radar. And many other countries too,

If airports remain open into UK and elsewhere, well that is a kicking for self isolation. Will not work IMO.

UK is next, unless the information is being suppressed.

I have my own well so my water's safe, right? RIGHT?!?!?!!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Because they are testing people, this is the result of a mass assessment in some main regions. We have no clue how many carry the virus in Ireland, no tests are being done. I'm home with fever, nobody asking me take a swat

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/passenger-from-iran-on-flight-from-montreal-to-vancouver-tests-positive-for-new-coronavirus
    An Iranian person travelling between Montral and Vancouver in Canada has tested positive

Everyday more signs pointing that this is already circulating globally

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Because they are testing people, this is the result of a mass assessment in some main regions. We have no clue how many carry the virus in Ireland, no tests are being done. I'm home with fever, nobody asking me take a swat

Looks like we are the first. We’re going to be famous!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement