Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Yup. It often is. Also incredibly civilized too. It's a country of extremes.

Have you been here yet? (not simply as a tourist)
    No. not sure Id want To to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vFj5GsBnE

While the rest of the world panics. An Irish bloke in Wuhan is chill AF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Have you been here yet? (not simply as a tourist)

has anyone ever really 'been' anywhere, y'know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hmmm, the guy does seem to be a supporter of China. Curious if Ireland has become a bit of a bridge between China and America?

UrbanFret wrote: »
    No. not sure Id want To to be honest.

Then your opinion is based on the media and 'hot air'. Come to China for a decent period of time and acquire a real opinion based on your own experiences... You'll find it to be a lot different than what is presented in Western media.

You called it Amazingly ****ing barbaric... you really should see it for yourself before throwing out such a statement.

• Advertisement

has anyone ever really 'been' anywhere, y'know?

Nope. You lost me. Although, I suspect it's a rabbit hole I don't particularly wish to waste time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Then your opinion is based on the media and 'hot air'. Come to China for a decent period of time and acquire a real opinion based on your own experiences... You'll find it to be a lot different than what is presented in Western media.

You called it Amazingly ****ing barbaric... you really should see it for yourself before throwing out such a statement.

Same posters probably call Ireland a 3rd world country, I wouldn't take notice of it. Your input in this thread has been super btw, cheers!

Same posters probably call Ireland a 3rd world country, I wouldn't take notice of it. Your input in this thread has been super btw, cheers!

I agree. Very good contributions. I'd like to call him a knowledgeable guy, but I agree with too much of what he says :P

Hmmm, the guy does seem to be a supporter of China. Curious if Ireland has become a bit of a bridge between China and America?

I find people tend to think you're a supporter of China if you don't follow everyone else in condemning them for everything.

It's more of this left/right black/white attitude. Nobody can be moderate or neutral anymore. You have to be fully against or fully for an issue.

As for China and the US, I wouldn't want to get between those two. That'll end up in tears at some point regardless of what anyone does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

The amount of pollution in Chinese cities is also likely a factor in lowering their immune systems ability to fight off an infection.

This! Not so much the elephant in the room as I think everyone is generally aware of the pollution in China, especially during winter. But one has to actually experience it to get an idea of how bad it can be.

Pic: Picture from my window, a random day last week (or this week, don't really remember). And no, that ain't fog.

49459753153_283d3a5bd1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you haven't already, give up the aul fags (smoking).

To tell you the truth I have increased my smoking, getting nervous occasionally from reading this thread. :eek::eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

WHO has come out to say that smoking a pack of 20 Benson and Hedges appears to stop the virus in it's tracks.

This! Not so much the elephant in the room as I think everyone is generally aware of the pollution in China, especially during winter. But one has to actually experience it to get an idea of how bad it can be.

I'm out in Weiyang university district, so there's not much pollution. Where are you based?

But yes, it can be pretty nasty at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Re smoking, I was surprised to read that a good majority of chinese men are smokers (something like 60%) while only 3% of women are. I'm sure that doesn't help things and I'm sure I also read that most of the fatalities so far have been men. Coincidence?

Pic: Picture from my window, a random day last week (or this week, don't really remember). And no, that ain't fog.

That pollution looks awful, how can you stand it? Or do you just get used to it after a while? Are you not worried for you longterm health living in those conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Re smoking, I was surprised to read that a good majority of chinese men are smokers (something like 60%) while only 3% of women are. I'm sure that doesn't help things and I'm sure I also read that most of the fatalities so far have been men. Coincidence?

Also, that pollution looks awful, how can you stand it? Or do you just get used to it after a while?

Definitely not a coincidence if pneumonia is the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I always wonder why some people are so quick to judge China when there are what could be considered “barbaric” practises happening in our own country. We are just distanced from them as they are behind walls so we can’t see them.

Anyone I know that has visited China have had lovely experiences with the people and the culture overall.

I'm out in Weiyang university district, so there's not much pollution. Where are you based?

But yes, it can be pretty nasty at times.

About 10 mins walk from Nanshaomen. Love Xi'an, but miss Dalian winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

49459753153_283d3a5bd1.jpg

I can taste the air from that photo. One thing I certainly don't miss about China.

That pollution looks awful, how can you stand it? Or do you just get used to it after a while? Are you not worried for you longterm health living in those conditions?

You get used to it in a sense, though some places are worse than others. I just wear a mask when it's bad. Anywhere in the north of China in the winter is gonna have its bad days, even coastal cities. I spent 6 months in the South East and that was night and day.

A lot more women smoke now that many of the social taboos have been lifting. Before, a woman smoking as a sign of being "a bad girl", same with tattoos. Now, you'll see many young women smoking in public.

Two decades and before, companies would give boxes of smokes to employees to help the local district economy. Doesn't happen much anymore, but you should see weddings here and the way they hand out smokes to everyone. My smokes cost roughly 1.3 euro for a box of 20... Few of my students smoke though, unless you see them in the bars/clubs.

I barely notice it, TBH. Perhaps because I've been a smoker for three decades. I'm rather fatalistic about such things... (yeah, I don't need posters jumping in with advice or their opinions on my smoking habit. I get enough of that from my mother :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

About 10 mins walk from Nanshaomen. Love Xi'an, but miss Dalian winters.

Nice. Want to meet up for hot pot and beers after the crisis? :D

I too miss Dalian, although it's a decade since I was there last. Fun nightlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

New case confirmed in Finland.

All 4 infected patients in Munich doing very well, apparently asymptomatic.

wakka12 wrote: »
    New case confirmed in Finland.

All 4 infected patients in Munich doing very well, apparently asymptomatic.

It does seem to be relatively mild for the majority of people, especially the cases that have popped up in the west. Not that I'd want to take my chances with it but it is slightly reassuring. Seems like it could potentially just be another cold/flu type illness to add to the mix every illness season and while still dangerous for those with compromised health, not a humanity killer.

It does seem to be relatively mild for the majority of people, especially the cases that have popped up in the west. Not that I'd want to take my chances with it but it is slightly reassuring.

Outside of Hubei, the death rate appears to be around 0.3%, almost the exact same as seasonal flu. Based on around 2500 cases, with 8 deaths. While in Hubei and Wuhan the date rate is much much higher, 3-4%, if the death rate of the disease is truly that high, then that is very serious and the panic is warranted. It is odd that the disease appears to be so much more dangerous in Wuhan, why could that be?

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/evobbb/current_death_rate_outside_of_hubei_is_0003/

Nice. Want to meet up for hot pot and beers after the crisis? :D

I too miss Dalian, although it's a decade since I was there last. Fun nightlife.

Dalian has gotten boring to be honest, but I miss the blue skies and crisp cold in winter. Does have a certain charm to it though. Xi'an in much more my kinda city though. I like sitting down on the street eating noodles at 3am. Try doing that in Dalian now :pac: And yeah, definitely up for hot pot and beers, my two favourite things.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    WHO has come out to say that smoking a pack of 20 Benson and Hedges appears to stop the virus in it's tracks.

What about Cutter's Choice, what are my chances. :)

Outside of Hubei, the death rate appears to be around 0.3%, almost the exact same as seasonal flu. Based on around 2500 cases, with 8 deaths. While in Hubei and Wuhan the date rate is much much higher, 3-4%, if the death rate of the disease is truly that high, then that is very serious and the panic is warranted. It is odd that the disease appears to be so much more dangerous in Wuhan, why could that be?

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/evobbb/current_death_rate_outside_of_hubei_is_0003/

I eluded to this in a previous post, and I may be completely wrong, but I would say it's to do with the sheer number of people infected in one city. Other cities/provinces have the ability/manpower to cope with a 100 patients. Try dealing with 10-20 times that many, as well as the usual everyday ailments. That's what sticks out to me.

The true numbers of infected in those regions has to be way higher than the official count. Anyone who hasn't sought medical attention wont be included in the numbers right? Its probably 10s or even 100s of thousands, most of whom are asymptomatic or dealing with it at home like they would a cold or flu. If someone is presenting at a hospital then chances are they are in a serious condition anyway and therefore more likely to have a bad outcome. Could that skew the numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

The true numbers of infected in those regions has to be way higher than the official count. Anyone who hasn't sought medical attention wont be included in the numbers right? Its probably 10s or even 100s of thousands, most of whom are asymptomatic or dealing with it at home like they would a cold or flu. If someone is presenting at a hospital then chances are they are in a serious condition anyway and therefore more likely to have a bad outcome. Could that skew the numbers?

Seems to be the thinking alright. If it's bad enough they present to hospital, a smaller number will be put in ICU and then a smaller number again will get acute respiratory distress syndrome of which some will die. I'd imagine there are plenty at home fending it off like any other viral infection.

I'm wondering if the 36 year old who died may have had an underlying condition that hasn't been diagnosed. I can't see any meaningful autopsy being done in the midst of the chaos right now.

Also worth noting that it's possible to his could become a seasonal flu. Usually through natural selection the less deadly strains will survive since they don't kill their hosts. HIV has become much less destructive due to advances in medicine and weaker strains becoming more common.

There's currently an outbreak of a 2009 strain of H1N1 in California that was hard on the elderly and is having similar effects this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yeah, between their dense populations and aversion to hygiene, it could be very bad if it hit those cities in an major way.

Swine flu is still at very high levels in India, killing a lot of people...this virus is worse so if it took off in India it could be bad...

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I always wonder why some people are so quick to judge China when there are what could be considered “barbaric” practises happening in our own country. We are just distanced from them as they are behind walls so we can’t see them.

Anyone I know that has visited China have had lovely experiences with the people and the culture overall.

I'm listening to NewsTalk and they had a piece on about irish people not being friendly anymore. When I was in Shanghai people would bend over backwards to help you out. Often they hadn't a word of English and all I can say in Mandarin is count to 5 and say hello and thank you. Thank God for WeChat translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

bb1234567 wrote: »

The 80 year old patient is also in a critical condition.
    Two other patients in their 30's in good condition.
    I believe all four patients in France are Chinese nationals

I'm listening to NewsTalk and they had a piece on about irish people not being friendly anymore. When I was in Shanghai people would bend over backwards to help you out. Often they hadn't a word of English and all I can say in Mandarin is count to 5 and say hello and thank you. Thank God for WeChat translate.

Wechat translation is gold, although you'll quickly find the limits when it comes to dating.. google translate works slightly better, and is no longer blocked most of the time. I find most Chinese people to be very friendly and helpful. Some nationalism and anti-foreign sentiment in the countryside, but, by and large, it doesn't rear it's head often. TBH in most cases, where I've encountered people hostile to foreigners, with a little digging, I found personal experiences of bad behavior by foreigners... A lot of students/tourists don't respect Chinese people while they're over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Ann22 wrote: »
    A team of scientists in Australia says it has successfully developed a lab-grown version of coronavirus, the first to be recreated outside of China, in a breakthrough that could help combat the global spread of the illness.

The researchers at the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity in Melbourne said they would share the sample, which was grown from an infected patient, with the World Health Organization and laboratories around the world.

A laboratory in China had successfully grown the virus but had released only the genome sequence, not the sample itself, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"Having the real virus means we now have the ability to actually validate and verify all test methods, and compare their sensitivities and specificities", the Doherty Institute's virus identification laboratory head, Julian Druce, said in a statement.

Dr Julian Druce announced the coronavirus breakthrough

"The virus will be used as positive control material for the Australian network of public health laboratories, and also shipped to expert laboratories working closely with the World Health Organization in Europe."

The flu-like virus broke out in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of last year and has killed 132 people, infected thousands more and spread to more than a dozen other countries.

It spreads in droplets from coughs and sneezes and has an incubation period of up to 14 days.

The Australia-grown virus sample would be used to generate an antibody test, which would allow detection of the virus in patients who had not shown symptoms, as well as contributing to the creation of a vaccine, the institute said.

The virus was grown from a patient who had arrived at the institute on 24 January, it added.

The Peter Doherty Institute is a joint venture of the University of Melbourne and Royal Melbourne Hospital.

© RTÉ 2020

Wonder did they get help from the military bio-labs in Wuhan, where it was created?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Wonder did they get help from the military bio-labs in Wuhan, where it was created?

Take it over to conspiracies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apart from the current outbreak of CoronaVirus, I really enjoyed reading the posts from those in China right now.

I was fortunate enough to go to China just before the crash. To me it was just SO different to anything I had experienced before. But of course that is from a tourist's eyes for sure. Took a bullet train from Beijing to Tianjen and then went to Xian and several other places that I to my embarrassment cannot remember now! It's in a journal somewhere though.

The pollution in Beijing was appalling, that was in an October. Couldn't wait to get out of it, but glad I managed to walk The Wall and see so many other places round there too. I was goggle eyed at the number of (to me then) elderly doing their exercises together in the park, can't remember what it's called but it was mesmeric. Tai Chi maybe?

Anyway, I indulged myself there, sorry for that. Hope all of you in China fare well. And let's hope it doesn't spread as much as is predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Finally they are cancelling flight to and from China. (long over due)

Plus China has banned all wildlife travel inc for use of chinese medicine.

Honestly i reckon that is why china as so many outbreaks ...chinese trad medicine

Their poorly regulated wildlife trade is responsible to this latest outbreak.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-wildlife/chinas-latest-virus-outbreak-exposes-perils-of-exotic-wildlife-trade-idUSKBN1ZM0PE

Something needs to be permanently done about the widllife trade for the public health safety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It does seem to be relatively mild for the majority of people, especially the cases that have popped up in the west. Not that I'd want to take my chances with it but it is slightly reassuring. Seems like it could potentially just be another cold/flu type illness to add to the mix every illness season and while still dangerous for those with compromised health, not a humanity killer.

I'm a bit confused about this, I've read from the WHO that around 20% of cases have serious illness.

Something needs to be permanently done about the widllife trade for the public health safety.

I see... and how would you do that for a country the size of China, with such huge open borders, and a massive population that often believe in traditional remedies over modern science?

You seem to think that you would do better than the Chinese government, but I wonder if you really understand the difficulties involved.

• Advertisement

I see... and how would you do that for a country the size of China, with such huge open borders, and a massive population that often believe in traditional remedies over modern science?

You seem to think that you would do better than the Chinese government, but I wonder if you really understand the difficulties involved.

The chinese govt themselves have just done as i suggested.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/27/world/coronavirus-china-bans-wildlife-trade-trnd/index.html

For gods sake if they can get into people's bedrooms and make people have only 1 kid they can stop people smuggling turtles aka Australian style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Finally they are cancelling flight to and from China. (long over due)

Plus China has banned all wildlife travel inc for use of chinese medicine.

Honestly i reckon that is why china as so many outbreaks ...chinese trad medicine

Their poorly regulated wildlife trade is responsible to this latest outbreak.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-wildlife/chinas-latest-virus-outbreak-exposes-perils-of-exotic-wildlife-trade-idUSKBN1ZM0PE

I reckon after this settles that these markets will be regulated more, though it's a South China thing eating crazy animals.

Hmmm, if the high amount of disease in China turns out to be because of the pollution, will Greta Thurnberg campaign in China against big business? :P

Kind of random, but I couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

circadian wrote: »
    There's currently an outbreak of a 2009 strain of H1N1 in California that was hard on the elderly and is having similar effects this time around.
    Difference is there is/has been a common seasonal jab readily available for that, (regardless of strength variation) for which the elderly/needy could access for free, or little cost.

But you're right in terms of wave mutation, it could get weaker and spread faster, or get stronger, but take down hosts quicker (as happened with the Spanish flu's 2nd wave, due to poor conditions into winter of WW1 etc.).

As someone alluded to, there is a few C'Theories starting to emmerge, some very wild ideas, and then some with a slight breadcrumb trail, of course with so many, it would need it's own seperate thread.

Someone should throw a rock festival in Wuhan and get Corona Beer to sponsor it, there's a good chance the exposure could go viral. ;):D:pac:

I'll get my coat.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about this, I've read from the WHO that around 20% of cases have serious illness.

20% of cases who had already been in a bad enough condition to have presented themselves at a hospital and been tested. With the rate of infection, there are undountably many more infected who have not needed to go to hospital and therefore never been tested who wont be included in the numbers. Most of the deaths so far have occurred in the elderly or those with underlying conditions, the same as flu

Having said that, there is a suspected case in my city today which is making me more nervous about it! Think it's time for a trip to costco to stock up on a few things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Don't bother. Some people here seem hell bent on advising against preparing for this in any way. Sure it'll be grand they say.
    Personally I will be taking steps to ensure me and mine can if necessary hunker down or at least hold up and sweat out a bad flu at home. So stocking up on some tinned and frozen / dried foods, hidration salts, whatever I can fit into the house. We already keep a supply of long shelf life foods at home.
    It's no harm at all in taking these simple steps, personally I doubt it'll be needed but just in case, I'll be positioned to withstand more than I could should I do nothing now.

Think of it like the snow. They forecast it and the same lads here say it'll never happen. Then it happens and the local lidl turns all Lord of the flys. Now you wish when you'd seen the forecast you'd stocked a few loves of bread.

Sorry but food is still getting through to wuhan.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I reckon after this settles that these markets will be regulated more, though it's a South China thing eating crazy animals.
    Its not just eating ..some people keep bob cats monitor lizards lynxes as pets (trust fund stupid types) or they are used for medicine.

At least if you eat something you want to make sure its healthy and not diseased.

By the way the Chinese themselves have LONG expressed concern about the health and safety issues surrounding the transport of wildlife both live and dead.

This is the nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope it doesn't hit Ireland

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement