Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Hmmm, if the high amount of disease in China turns out to be because of the pollution...
    Pollution (even air quality) has no bearing on this incident. It's the result of improper hygine practices at a particular live/wild/mixed(wet) singular animal market in a single sub-region of China, therby causing an ideal basin for cross species viral transfer activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Pollution (even air quality) has no bearing on this incident. It's the result of improper hygine practices at a particular live/wild/mixed(wet) animal market in a single sub-region of China, therby causing an ideal basin for cross species viral transfer activity.

It may have an impact on outcomes if lung function is already compromised due to poor air quality or rampant smoking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

To tell you the truth I have increased my smoking, getting nervous occasionally from reading this thread. :eek::eek:

My New Years resolution was to start smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    20% of cases who had already been in a bad enough condition to have presented themselves at a hospital and been tested. With the rate of infection, there are undountably many more infected who have not needed to go to hospital and therefore never been tested who wont be included in the numbers. Most of the deaths so far have occurred in the elderly or those with underlying conditions, the same as flu

Having said that, there is a suspected case in my city today which is making me more nervous about it! Think it's time for a trip to costco to stock up on a few things

Yeah, I read that it has a double tap or something. Where you recover, and then you get a violent resurgence. Terryfying for transmission and death rate tbh.

The chinese govt themselves have just done as i suggested.

Which is easier to do when people are afraid to go outside, or attend such markets. What do you do when people are able to go outside, travel into the countryside, or basically return to their habits from before the virus hit?
    For gods sake if they can get into people's bedrooms and make people have only 1 kid they can stop people smuggling turtles aka Australian style!

The one child policy failed in many cases, and there are heaps of families in China with more than one child even before the one child policy was abolished. My ex has 8 siblings. People here seem to think that because the Chinese government is an oppressive government, that people automatically fall in line with their policies without resistance. The one child policy was broken many times, especially where the family had money, the right connections/influence, or political power.

Again.. how would you expect to manage the trade better than the government has, once the virus has gone and people once more have the freedom of movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://youtu.be/hSIt496d82s

very interesting... good timeline

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7OEqybiGdaA

Insider perspective. Not enough test kits.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It may have an impact on outcomes if lung function is already compromised due to poor air quality or rampant smoking though.
    Air quality has no causation to aquiring nor origination, of the virus.

Anyone with it, will likely be indoors with air filtration. A cheap mini UV-ioniser (ozone optional) will only cost $20notes and improve room airquality by reducing dust and airborne particulates, followed with a spin of the hoover.

One positive effect is the downgrade in demand of many flights in the region (except chartered style evacuations).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Air quality has no causation to aquiring nor origination, of the virus.

Anyone with it, will likely be indoors with air filtration. A cheap mini UV-ioniser (ozone optional) will only cost $20notes and improve room airquality by reducing dust and airborne particulates, followed with a spin of the hoover.

One positive effect is the downgrade in demand of many flights in the region (except chartered style evacuations).

I think you're missing the point being made here. Continual very poor air quality will have a long term negative effect on lung function. With lungs and general health being affected by pollution makes fighting this virus harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The 100k person banquet might explain the massive numbers around Wuhan. Mental if that really happened.

circadian wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point being made here. Continual very poor air quality will have a long term negative effect on lung function. With lungs and general health being affected by pollution makes fighting this virus harder.
    Fighting it, if aquired, yes (same as smokers)
    But it has zero causation, as I think was suggested.

The random snake-bats in the market was the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Just seen the WHO press conference - interesting that it's an Irishman who is leading the WHOs response. Talk about a job with pressure.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/10/30/the-fireman-of-global-health-the-whos-emergencies-chief-is-put-to-the-test/

givyjoe wrote: »
    The 100k person banquet might explain the massive numbers around Wuhan. Mental if that really happened.

deffo happened.... totally nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian Airlines will suspend their flights to/from (mainland) China until February 9th. China's economy must be taking an absolutely brutal battering at the moment, I'm still shocked that its possible for such a major world economy to seemingly just 'stop' indefinitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's this banquet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

fritzelly wrote: »
    What's this banquet

A viral meditation by the looks. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620302117.pdf
    Virus mortality rate in those with existing health conditions estimated to be 11%.
    Roughly 23% of this group are admitted to Intensive Treatment unit and 17% of patients develop Acute respiratory distress syndrome

What's this banquet

in video i posted, 100000 people food joined a banquette in wuchan while government knew of at least 49 cases....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How its affecting Chinese doctors.:(

Also this is from a citizen from Wuhan he says a lot is being censored by the Chinese govt and people are not getting the real info.

He says the govt is not doing anything that they didn't ask people to wear masks until the lockdown. He says they should have warned citizens more.

He says they are sending a lot of cases that should be confirmed home and intot he public because they are running out of tests. I think that is why a lot of chinese people are doing self isolation ..because they don't trust drs anymore.

Its obv the people of wuhan feel the chinese govt has let them down.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »

already put up mate lol. ADV china you tube is awesome if people want a distraction, god knows we all do

cloudatlas wrote: »

already put up mate lol. ADV china you tube is awesome if people want a distraction, god knows we all do

https://www.youtube.com/user/churchillcustoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

They are awesome. Great background noise

Novel problems, require 'novel' solutions:

3nfIL0g.png

On a serious note, plastic bags aren't recommended. The 5/10L water bottles look very good, assuming some vents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

3nfIL0g.png

On a serious note, plastic bags aren't recommended. The 5/10L water bottles look very good, assuming some vents.

You would think in Asia the chinese govt would have no prob issuing proper surgical masks. Respirators would be better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

3nfIL0g.png

They think it’s the H2O virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Load more airlines now out - Lufthansa, United, American, Air Canada. https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-airlines-lufthansa-suspend-some-china-flights/

Could the thread title be updated to something better worded/more informative/up to date perhaps? Mostly I'm just annoyed by the lack of capital letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

wakka12 wrote: »
    Mostly I'm just annoyed by the lack of capital letter
    could maybe do with a semicolon as well?

new Coronavirus outbreak; ...

• Advertisement

Maybe add in threat level like for the weather ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Also should reflect the many off topic posts, where people refer to countries other than China, Korea, or the USA. People seem to think its for any country now.

Over 1,000 more people infected and nearly 40 more people die within the Hubei province today

NUmber of infections outside of mainland China reach 100 today
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Over 1,000 more people infected and nearly 40 more people die within the Hubei province today
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

The figure is likely double, were they not running out of test kits
    Seriously believe we don't have anywhere near the real figures. That will only happen if it starts spreading like wildfire in Europe which is maybe another week away

The figure is likely double, were they not running out of test kits
    Seriously believe we don't have anywhere near the real figures. That will only happen if it starts spreading like wildfire in Europe which is maybe another week away

Well it really is probably double, reports of infections are being released twice per day now rather than once a day in order to cause less panic to the public with startling jumps in numbers. SO perhaps quadruple!

seems to be progressing steadily about half a day ahead of initial projections,

https://twitter.com/ofaltundal/status/1222648559931097090

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If those figures come to pass its scary

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Another worrying thing if true, don't believe anything coming out of official channels
    The next week or two will be interesting times outside Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RIP to all these poor people, a catastrophe.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Could the thread title be updated to something better worded/more informative/up to date perhaps? Mostly I'm just annoyed by the lack of capital letter

Maybe add in threat level like for the weather ;)
    Also should reflect the many off topic posts, where people refer to countries other than China, Korea, or the USA. People seem to think its for any country now.

No :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I’m still of the opinion that there are currently 100s of thousands of people with the coronavirus and the death rate will be relatively low compared to the numbers effected.

If those figures come to pass its scary

its going to slow down at some stage, from exponential growth to steady growth, and then level off altogether,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

So when are WHO going to call it an international emergency??

No :mad:

If they decide to change the children's hospital to a quarantine hospital can we get a thread title change?

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »

WHO are pretty useless in any serious situation, bar soundbites for the general public

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

daheff wrote: »

Was just watching a live video with their health emergencies director (who is funnily enough, an Irish man) and they said they are having a meeting about that and will announce tomorrow whether they are considering it a global emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Chinese government are a great bunch of lads but I wouldn't believe anything they say on anything.

It's a communist regime - that's how they operate and survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The Chinese government are a great bunch of lads but I wouldn't believe anything they say on anything.

It's a communist regime - that's how they operate and survive.

I think it’s clear that nobody including most people in China believe the Chinese Government.

I think it’s clear that nobody including most people in China believe the Chinese Government.

WHO are believing them, seriously with all the information coming out they should be questioning everything but they are not. Do they have people on the ground? No, why? This could be a serious pandemic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement