Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My point is about culture and perception, you (we in Ireland) think it's barbaric to butcher dogs, but readily butcher cattle and eat beef, same with pigs.

I don't want to drag on an argument but my main point was that we don't skin cattle alive or drop them into boiling water so the stress makes them taste better. Besides whatever goes on in other countries doesn't make Yulin festival any less horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Who is settling in already for the 'long wait at home'?

I am stocking up as I work from home and there is a first case in beautiful Poland. :( MAYBE due to the whole rac to publish headline malarkey

Nijmegen wrote: »

Hmmmm, that's one way to stop demonstrations :P But, in fariness, it has probably run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I got pinged this in what appears an attempt to deflect:

ayovxM8_460s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just in the supermarket. There's some multipacks of water being bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just in the supermarket. There's some multipacks of water being bought.

In work, but according to my residents assoc wats app, roadworks have broke a main and no water. I was just thinking if I pick up water on the way home everyone is going to think Im a panicing due to the virus.
    :o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Their video is a little out of date..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

scotchy wrote: »
    In work, but according to my residents assoc wats app, roadworks have broke a main and no water. I was just thinking if I pick up water on the way home everyone is going to think Im a panicing due to the virus.
    :o

Throw in some rice, tinned fruit, beans, tinned meat, disinfectant, keep sneezing and watch that queue clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Just seen a video from a friend in Dalian saying that there are 4 cases reported. Interesting seeing that there's none listed on the John Hopkins map

• Advertisement

My point is about culture and perception, you (we in Ireland) think it's barbaric to butcher dogs, but readily butcher cattle and eat beef, same with pigs.

People in India (most of it anyway) think it's barbaric to butcher cattle and eat beef, many will eat pork though.

People in certain parts of asia gladly butcher and eat dogs, cats, cattle, pigs etc.

Ones perception decides what's acceptable or not, and the eating of dogs is acceptable in many parts of china/asia.

Wasn't intended particularly to be a religious post, just one that points out that one mans barbarianism is another man's dinner.

For people who have never been in China, there is a burgeoning culture of owning pet dogs, at least in Beijing and Shanghai, probably elsewhere too. Saw a few well groomed pampered pooches on a short visit.

For people who have never been in China, there is a burgeoning culture of owning pet dogs, at least in Beijing and Shanghai, probably elsewhere too. Saw a few well groomed pampered pooches on a short visit.

Funilly enough, getting the remaindrs of a meal to take home is seen as poor, and some people say they are feeding it to the dogs so as to seem, you know, rich enough not to have to save food or something.

I wonder is there an Irish equivalent? Devoting time to a charity to show you don't need a full time job? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Really don't believe that hand sanitiser or face masks will do much to help anybody.
    People tend to get hysterical when these outbreaks happen.
    The best thing to do is just keep living your life. If you get sick, let your body fight it off.

Agree that people are being hysterical but that is really bad advice. Dunno about face masks but washing hands absolutely does help, and lots of older people will not be able to fight it off

pc7 wrote: »
    Throw in some rice, tinned fruit, beans, tinned meat, disinfectant, keep sneezing and watch that queue clear :D

Hmmm, tinned fruit is a good idea :) Beautiful kompot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just seen a video from a friend in Dalian saying that there are 4 cases reported. Interesting seeing that there's none listed on the John Hopkins map

I'm sure all provinces China have at least 1 case now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The big map appears only be updated about once per day, last update was yesterday 9pm EST with the 7,700 type figure.
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Looking again think I got it wrong. They seem to be showing it on a provincial basis rather than city. 39 cases in Liaoning province. As the dot was far away from Dalian didn't realize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Heaven forbid the election gets postponed and we have to put up with more weeks of canvassing.

I'd be gutted if the Olympics is hit though. Although, it'd be funny from McIroys perspective - Not travelling to Brazil because of Zika then not being allowed travel this time because of the Corona virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The big map appears only be updated about once per day, last update was yesterday 9pm EST with the 7,700 type figure.
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Look at the the exponential growth rate on the bottom left of that link!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Over 8000 confirmed AND 12000 suspected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I am stocking up as I work from home and there is a first case in beautiful Poland. :( MAYBE due to the whole rac to publish headline malarkey

Do you have a link for that? Can't find anything on Poland..

Over 800 people in India under observation in the same region as the first confirmed infection this morning
    https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/india/kerala-woman-found-positive-for-china-coronavirus-1.1580386907294

Up to 24 people in Lapland, Finland may have been exposed to the virus
    https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/up_to_24_people_in_finland_possibly_exposed_to_coronavirus/11184029?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

wakka12 wrote: »
    Agree that people are being hysterical but that is really bad advice. Dunno about face masks but washing hands absolutely does help, and lots of older people will not be able to fight it off

Essentially what I meant is that people should not get into a panic.
    More people would have died this month from the flu than corona virus.

Essentially what I meant is that people should not get into a panic.
    More people would have died this month from the flu than corona virus.

Youre right, people shouldnt panic, especially people not in China. But the flu killed more people only because it is worldwide, cornovirus has mostly been confined to one city until very recently. The WHO estimates mortality rate to be 2%, which is a lot more dangerous than the flu, several magnitudes greater not just in mortality rate but a much greater morbidity rate as well, and a very valid concern for anybody who is of older age or with existing healthy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/30/coronavirus-live-updates-china-death-toll-wuhan-evacuation-foreign-nationals-citizens-latest-news
    Health chief in city close to Wuhan sacked

The head of health services in a city near the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak has been sacked after she could not answer questions on state television about how many people were being treated.

Tang Zhihong, who ran the health department in Huanggang city, which has reported almost 500 confirmed cases and 12 deaths, appeared on state television earlier on Thursday, Reuters reported.

On being questioned by a central government inspection team and a reporter on issues like how many people a certain hospital under her remit could handle, she could not immediately answer.

“I don’t know, I’m unclear,” she said, when being asked how many sick people there were. “I only know how many beds there are. Don’t ask me how many people are being treated.”

Hours later the city’s health department said Tang had been removed. It gave no other details. It was not possible to reach her for comment, Reuters said.

The government has said it will investigate and punish officials involved in fighting the virus who slack off on their jobs.

mmmm

I'd be more inclined to believe she was not "slacking" on the job but rather the state wants her to keep her mouth shut as to the scale of the problem.

Maybe i'm being cynical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

wakka12 wrote: »
    Youre right, people shouldnt panic, especially people not in China. But the flu killed more people only because it is worldwide, cornovirus has mostly been confined to one city until very recently. The WHO estimates mortality rate to be 2%, which is a lot more dangerous than the flu, and a very valid concern for anybody who is of older age or with existing healthy conditions.

And as imperfect as the flu vaccine is, it's still 45% effective or so AND people have encountered similar flu strains in the past - especially beneficial or B flu strains.

So even if it was some new strain of flu, it would still be very concerning - but as you note indications are it's more dangerous.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The WHO are labelling this as 2019-novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). So if we want a short version for texting etc I'm going with NCOV.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/30/coronavirus-live-updates-china-death-toll-wuhan-evacuation-foreign-nationals-citizens-latest-news

mmmm

I'd be more inclined to believe she was not "slacking" on the job but rather the state wants her to keep her mouth shut as to the scale of the problem.

Maybe i'm being cynical

17644287130_7fa6a9da28_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The WHO are labelling this as 2019-novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). So if we want a short version for texting etc I'm going with NCOV.

I got my first text about "the kung flu" the other day, took a moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

17644287130_7fa6a9da28_b.jpg

Are you calling me a tin foil hat person?:mad:

Mods!!!!!

• Advertisement

Are you calling me a tin foil hat person?:mad:

Mods!!!!!

lol

Actually, What if that is the solution to combat Coronavirus

I can see a Nobel Peace Prize on the way for us

158614589.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The most effective way to avoid getting sick is practicing good hygiene. Masks dont offer much more protection. It seems a lot of people dont know this! If you're worried, wash hands frequently, always before eating, dont touch your face with unwashed hands and wipe down door handles, light switches and other heavily touched areas with a bleach solution or anti bac wipe a few times a day. Dont share utensils or cups etc with a sick person. I looked after my daughter with the flu last year and didnt get it myself because I did all those things (and I hadn't had the flu shot).

There is nothing new in the method of transmission of this virus. The way people are going on you'd think it falls down from the sky and is just floating around in the air. It isnt. Take precautions and you'll more than likely be fine, if it even gets to your area at all. If it does become widespread where you are, stay home. No harm in throwing a few extra things into your shopping basket for a couple of weeks, just in case.

I cant help but think that all those people in China who appear to be rushing to the hospital at the first sign of a sniffle, resulting in people being crammed in waiting rooms and hallways are actually helping the virus spread even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I cant help but think that all those people in China who appear to be rushing to the hospital at the first sign of a sniffle, resulting in people being crammed in waiting rooms and hallways are actually helping the virus spread even more.
    For every one like that, there's another person who has it, isn't sure it isn't just a flu and doesn't want to go to hospital in case they catch the Wuhan virus. Epidemiology is hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Am I alone in hoping that this triggers a recession?

We need a reset and to empty the country a bit.

Ireland. Have your friends heard of cases of people being barricaded in their homes?

Ok. I'm a little confused. Earlier you said you had seen various forms of mob activity and attacks on those infected. Where did you see these things? Some website online?

As for being barricaded at home, not really... but then it's hardly needed. Most Chinese apartments have strong heavy doors already, with bars on many windows. They wouldn't need to do much to keep others out... and honestly, I'm skeptical of attacks on infected simply because of the close knitted attitudes that many neighborhoods have. Turning on each other is too similar to the cultural revolution, and that's something few Chinese want to revisit.
    Do you think the Chinese are so illness-averse and that it could be contributing to the spread.

Illness averse? I'm not sure what that means TBH. I think the low quality of food, and lack of vitamins in general nutrition is contributing to the spread, far more than other factors.
    I know from my there every time i sneezed they would be suggesting I needed to go to hospital to see a doctor. Just wondering if this could be bringing more people to hospitals that don't have the virus but then getting them infected and adding to the workload of hospital staff

You're more likely to be told to drink Hot water. :D

I dunno really. I left before it got crazy. My new(ish) Chinese girlfriend is still in Xi'an and is traveling back and forth to Baoji daily to see her parents. She's reported a healthy respect by Chinese people about the dangers rather than the fears being shown online. But then, she works for the PSB (Public security Bureau) so she's a bit biased. Also she hasn't been enrolled for containment, which makes me wonder about militia or non-officials being used. They're more likely to use actual official police rather than give power to civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Just another panic story that get people frightened and the media get legs out of. How many people die from colds and flu across the globe every year? When my work colleagues start kicking the bucket i'll start to get worried then..

Ok. I'm a little confused. Earlier you said you had seen various forms of mob activity and attacks on those infected. Where did you see these things? Some website online?

As for being barricaded at home, not really... but then it's hardly needed. Most Chinese apartments have strong heavy doors already, with bars on many windows. They wouldn't need to do much to keep others out... and honestly, I'm skeptical of attacks on infected simply because of the close knitted attitudes that many neighborhoods have. Turning on each other is too similar to the cultural revolution, and that's something few Chinese want to revisit.

Illness averse? I'm not sure what that means TBH. I think the low quality of food, and lack of vitamins in general nutrition is contributing to the spread, far more than other factors.

I dunno really. I left before it got crazy. My new(ish) Chinese girlfriend is still in Xi'an and is traveling back and forth to Baoji daily to see her parents. She's reported a healthy respect by Chinese people about the dangers rather than the fears being shown online. But then, she works for the PSB (Public security Bureau) so she's a bit biased. Also she hasn't been enrolled for containment, which makes me wonder about militia or non-officials being used. They're more likely to use actual official police rather than give power to civilians.

I mean slightly hypochondriac. Everytime I had the slightest sniffle I was always being told to see a doctor or get some medicine by my chinese colleagues and friends.

When it comes to illness they have a habit of making mountains out of molehills.

I am not saying this is a molehill just that people might be jumping to the conclusion they have it earlier than they do and in some cases increasing their risk by visiting hospital early

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Am I alone in hoping that this triggers a recession?

We need a reset and to empty the country a bit.

Yes, akin to scratching your itchy nose with a shotgun.

...just spotted the second line.. empty the country a bit? Please do elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why is it named after a beer, Corona , or is that just a coincidence . “corona beer virus” heavily googled according to google data.
    Confusing a lot of people it seems.

The structure of the virus has crown like elements and Corona is Latin for crown

I mean slightly hypochondriac. Everytime I had the slightest sniffle I was always being told to see a doctor or get some medicine by my chinese colleagues and friends.

Ahh. I usually get told to drink Hot Water. Or they'll go to a Traditional doctor on my behalf for some Baijiu based treatment... the taste is enough to make you feel better. I suspect that we're offered so much advice not because they care about health, but because they gain "face" for being so helpful.

I find that most Chinese will go to Traditional medicine doctors, or the smaller clinics rather than the hospitals. There's still the perception that hospitals are death-traps. Go in healthy, and come out with cancer. Or something similar.

• Advertisement

Ahh. I usually get told to drink Hot Water. Or they'll go to a Traditional doctor on my behalf for some Baijiu based treatment... the taste is enough to make you feel better. I suspect that we're offered so much advice not because they care about health, but because they gain "face" for being so helpful.

I find that most Chinese will go to Traditional medicine doctors, or the smaller clinics rather than the hospitals. There's still the perception that hospitals are death-traps. Go in healthy, and come out with cancer. Or something similar.

Interesting was always doctor for me. Maybe they knew I wouldnt drink hot water!

Yeah the smaller medical clinics would be a big one for a lot of the people I know.

Interesting. In Vietnam, people generally go to hospital. I've talked to I'd say a thousand students about this over the years as it's a speaking test topic and very few have said their parents believe in and use traditional medicine. None have said they believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lol

Actually, What if that is the solution to combat Coronavirus

I can see a Nobel Peace Prize on the way for us

158614589.jpg

Looks like the solution in that pic is to drink Heineken instead of Corona.

One thing I dont hear much about.

What is the International Community doing to help China.

I know UNICEF have shipped 6 metric tons of masks and protective suits to help contain virus. but is that all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yes some website on the internet, but I'm not retarded I don't take everything as gospel :D I do start to see trends that become harder and harder to just assume is all fake or misrepresentations.

I meant barricaded from the outside, as in people outside blocking suspected people in (while the people being locked in scream). You and your friends aren't aware of this?

How many videos have your friends in china even seen that are negative? Even the construction workers physically fighting at the new hospital?

Of course there are many rumours and some amount of fake videos, but only so many different sources including video evidence can be blindly batted away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Btw I'm not saying there is widespread chaos, I've lots of evidence of widespread calm even in Wuhan the epicenter, just pointing out that there are cracks in that thin veneer and they are relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Just another panic story that get people frightened and the media get legs out of. How many people die from colds and flu across the globe every year? When my work colleagues start kicking the bucket i'll start to get worried then..

China isn't locking down huge areas of 50+ million people or Russia closing it's 4000 mile border with China due to seasonal flu to be fair.

You know, as a sidenote, I was always curious why so many foreigners date women kind of affilliated with the government :P Just kind of a funny thing I noticed, and I am not saying that it is spying (probably) or anything like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, akin to scratching your itchy nose with a shotgun.

...just spotted the second line.. empty the country a bit? Please do elaborate.

The services and housing supply is not enough to cater for all the people currently in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

First human-to-human case now be reported in the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement