Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The services and housing supply is not enough to cater for all the people currently in the country.
    This virus also kicked off just after the world's Billionaires got together over in Davos, and decided there's a major global pollution, housing, and (perhaps) future population increase issue for certain regions. All of which, are very hard to reduce, even across decades.

There is also a need to re-encourage general/regular vax take up (measles and so on), after a global slowdown and growing adverse opinion, even in the 1st world. This could be a good time to boost PR for the jab. The world's richest man is a very keen sponsor of these labs and their various programs. // will get the tin foil now.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

rossie1977 wrote: »
    China isn't locking down huge areas of 50+ million people or Russia closing it's 4000 mile border with China due to seasonal flu to be fair.

Yeah this is what I’ve said to people arguing that “ but it is just a cold”

As if they’d go to such measures over a cold or a seasonal flu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The services and housing supply is not enough to cater for all the people currently in the country.
    Oh wonderful, lets naturally cleanse them so. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

First human-to-human case now be reported in the US.

This is the spouse of the woman from Chicago so not a huge shock. Its coming up on 2 weeks since these first US cases were diagnosed. I wonder if there will be many more infections,, especially in non close contacts which will be worrying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext
    Scarily enough, a study of 99 random people in a hospital(half of whom had contact with the market) in Wuhan found a mortality rate of 11%. Unlike the last survey, only 50% of the patients in the study had an unspecified chronic illness. Which I was surprised to find out is similar to levels found in the general population of many western countries, 60% of Americans have one chronic illness for example, 40% have at least two. I had no idea chronic illness was so common, would have thought 1/3 at most
    https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/infographic/chronic-diseases.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,728 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

New strain of coronavirus found in Gansu in 4 patients
    Is this a mutation or something completely different...

Edit
    could be bad translation using 'a' instead of 'the'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

fritzelly wrote: »

Christ. Could be good, could be bad or could be the common cold.

You know, there are rumours that it is an accidently realesed weaponised version. Scary thought, but if I was making it I would have a balanced first version which spreads moderately and puts stress on the body and then have it mutate into someting milder that spreads far, far more easily. Kind of a double tap as the weakend body wouldn't be able to beat the second mutation.

Of course, it's just a strange virus, but I should probably stop reading up on it. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Christ. Could be good, could be bad or could be the common cold.

You know, there are rumours that it is an accidently realesed weaponised version. Scary thought, but if I was making it I would have a balanced first version which spreads moderately and puts stress on the body and then have it mutate into someting milder that spreads far, far more easily. Kind of a double tap as the weakend body wouldn't be able to beat the second mutation.

Of course, it's just a strange virus, but I should probably stop reading up on it. :P

I think there is a possibility of this being a lab accident.
    It could mutate for good like the ebola one did.

One riddle i have is mrs cretin hop said if it was a weapon they would ( u hope) have an antidote.
    Is it possible lab accident happened through the fog of communism only now they are quietly addressing it. Far out stuff but a good a guess as any...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

givyjoe wrote: »
    Oh wonderful, lets naturally cleanse them so. :mad:

The planet is overpopulated. We need something like this, or another world war to thin the herd out. Give the planet some breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Ben Kavanagh with the English citizens leaving China this evening. I think they're going to be quarantined in France for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Does it not just mean that this new strain which is the subject of this thread has been found in those patients? Not some other new strain

The planet is overpopulated. We need something like this, or another world war to thin the herd out. Give the planet some breathing space.

Just once its not you or anyone you care about though right?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

CFlat wrote: »
    Ben Kavanagh with the English citizens leaving China this evening. I think they're going to be quarantined in France for a few weeks.

Ah that’s good to hear, hopefully he’ll be on the late late in two weeks :)

pc7 wrote: »
    Ah that’s good to hear, hopefully he’ll be on the late late in two weeks :)

Turgity interviewing him in hazmat suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

So much for him not being scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

True, but do you think Bill Gates or the Bezos guy will take one for the team?

True, but do you think Bill Gates or the Bezos guy will take one for the team?

Will they ****. Probably stocking up their purified air filled luxury bunkers as we speak.

Maybe it's time for me to pull the trigger and buy this place. You can live the 50s american dream underground whilst not dying. It even has a stripper pole. Price seems a bit high though lol

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3970-Spencer-St-Las-Vegas-NV-89119/7092102_zpid/
    Las Vegas Underground House! Its not just a house, its an subterranean 15,000sqft concrete & steel rectangular shaped doomsday bunker. The 5000 sqft House is built Inside this huge bunker & is finished with pool,spa,waterfall,trees,guest house,BBQ,fountain & 500 linear feet of floor to ceiling illuminated murals of landscapes of wide open spaces simulating day,dusk,dawn & night modes. All Furnishings & 1 year of caretaker & upkeep are included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

NewMan1982 wrote: »

He had said previously he'd evacuate if he agreed with the procedure. The main condition he wanted was that he would be quarantined along with all other passengers at the end destination.

So aye, you go ahead and begrudge because begrudgers gotta begrudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

I didn't hear that but I did hear him interviewed this morning and he said that his family wanted him home or something to that affect. I'd also say the Irish Embassy encouraged him to take that lift home.

• Advertisement

I didn't hear that but I did hear him interviewed this morning and he said that his family wanted him home or something to that affect. I'd also say the Irish Embassy said also encouraged him to take that lift.

Man, I don't blame him. Getting it in the west with a lower poppulatin density, more well managed hospitals and a different attitude towards life is one thing*, getting it there is a whole other ball game.

*As an example, it wouldn't suprise me if they let the patients die rather than put the trained doctors at risk if things get bad. It sounds awful, but there is definetly the needs of the many vs the few in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

China getting praised for their action, yet I've seen people claiming they sat on it until they couldn't control the news.
    Contagion reappearing in the download charts (best synopsis I've heard is Outbreak, but with Gwyneth Paltrow as the infected monkey).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

kowloon wrote: »
    China getting praised for their action, yet I've seen people claiming they sat on it until they couldn't control the news.
    Contagion reappearing in the download charts (best synopsis I've heard is Outbreak, but with Gwyneth Paltrow as the infected monkey).

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if Paltrow was responsible for an outbreak or similar wth her quackery products.

circadian wrote: »
    He had said previously he'd evacuate if he agreed with the procedure. The main condition he wanted was that he would be quarantined along with all other passengers at the end destination.

So aye, you go ahead and begrudge because begrudgers gotta begrudge.

What am I begrudging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I thought the current affairs forum was created to keep current affairs out of AH.
    Anyway there is a lot of hysterical stuff going on with this virus. My neighbour told her 16 year old niece it's a "worse version of ebola". Relax people your eyes won't be bleeding anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It will be interesting to see how the real figures are tonight, projections are 11,090 infections and 229 deaths.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

WHO just said it’s a PHEIC — a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Who are praising china’s reaction to this. If this virus gets into somewhere like India things could go downhill rapidly.

BBC saying it’s declared global health emergency. Where does that rank on their scale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just once its not you or anyone you care about though right?

Utterly moronic callous statements. I'm sure they're joking though.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Who are praising china’s reaction to this. If this virus gets into somewhere like India things could go downhill rapidly.

I ‘think’ they all keep praising China so as to get whatever info out of them they can! In fairness whether it was too late or not at least they did try contain it (maybe too late).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Nobody should be praising China because if they are doing anything, it’s suppressing the true figures of the infection rate. They are probably many times over the “official” figure they are telling the international community.

WHO chief says coronavirus has "escalated into an unprecedented outbreak"

Though I wouldnt say its a massive panic just because its been declared a PHEIC. Ebola was also considered the same but there was never really any chance of it spreading beyond sub saharan africa

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Nobody should be praising China because if they are doing anything, it’s suppressing the true figures of the infection rate. They are probably many times over the “official” figure they are telling the international community.

How the fcuk do you know this? Your talking ****e.

BBC saying it’s declared global health emergency. Where does that rank on their scale?

The highest level of alert for an infectious disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Sounds like you have no basis for what you're saying, and you're accusing him of talking ****e?
    What sources are you going off, simply the CCP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good vid on the stages of the viral infection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Believe what you want, a regime like China are the last ones I would trust to tell anything near resembling the truth.

Sounds like you have no basis for what you're saying, and you're accusing him of talking ****e?

What?
    I’m saying the who say china’s figures check out. How can that poster or anyone else prove otherwise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Believe what you want, a regime like China are the last ones I would trust to tell anything near resembling the truth.

You may have a very old and invalid perception of China. Many in the west do.
    It may have changed a lot since the you were last there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You may have a very old and invalid perception of China. Many in the west do.
    It may have changed a lot since the you were last there.

when was the last election there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

So how many confirmed cases are there taking into consideration the confirm cases are made within a hospital?

Look, numbers may have been suppressed, the who director general says we should be grateful for china’s reaction to this.
    I’m more inclined to listen to the who director general than some know it all on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,728 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Its already in India

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What's your point in the terms of government efficiency and transparency?

The last election in Ireland was 2016 and we got a government that wasted billions of taxpayer funds on badly run projects while the national debt grew to record levels. Many of the government TDs engaged in corruption and insurance/expense fraud.

The governments of the early 2000s were also hugely corrupt and bankrupted the country. They told us there would be a soft landing.

Its already in India

Yeah hopefully it doesn’t go person to person there and hopefully the poor soul who has it is in isolation at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's laughable to think that something of this scale can be kept under wraps and false figures given in the age of social media.

There are multiple sources on the ground providing figures, with a lot of them neutral parties.

People love the idea of conspiracy. Maybe it makes their lives that bit more interesting to imagine a doomsday James Bond secenario but the harsh reality is that things are usually as black and white as they are portrayed.

Yes, your life is just boring.

https://youtu.be/rwXPeIwV_q4

live chat at 11pm from adv. like them or not they have some salient views having lived in china and married to native chinese women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It's laughable to think that something of this scale can be kept under wraps and false figures given in the age of social media.

There are multiple sources on the ground providing figures, with a lot of them neutral parties.

People love the idea of conspiracy. Maybe it makes their lives that bit more interesting to imagine a doomsday James Bond secenario but the harsh reality is that things are usually as black and white as they are portrayed.

Yes, your life is just boring.

No not false figures as in lying about the figures that have recorded, just taking actions that cause those cases not to be recorded as quickly as they could be.

So the beginning of the outbreak was suppressed, they are the most opaque regime in modern times (after North Korea) but now the default position is to accept their numbers? OnLy ConSpIrAcY LoSeRs QueStioN Communist PartY oF China? wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

No not false figures as in lying about the figures that have recorded, just taking actions that cause those cases not to be recorded as quickly as they could be.

So the beginning of the outbreak was suppressed, they are the most opaque regime in modern times (after North Korea) but now the default position is to accept their numbers? OnLy ConSpIrAcY LoSeRs QueStioN Communist PartY oF China? wtf

What actions have they taken that cause those cases not to be recorded as quickly as they could be.?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement