Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Sorry if there is a thread already on this.

I just received a video of what is happening in wuhan - to say we are all going to die is an understatement!

It is shocking. 90,000 infected, doctors dropping to the floors in hospitals, said hospitals with 1000's upon 1000's of people in hallways and videos of flu victims in the worst of the worst states.

I actually had a little panic attack watching it. What is being reported is nothing, this is as serious as its ever gonna get.

A nurse in a hazmat suit tries to tell how they are trying to contain it, once 1 person gets it - it can immediately spread to 14 then to 196 and so on.

First thing tomorrow im going world crazy in the chemist and stocking up on cartridges for people who get too close.

Has anyone else seen the vid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Literally a thread two posts down...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Did you not watch the vid after?

U only get it from ridin bats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What video? All sounds a bit ridiculously alarmist to me tbh....

ETA...... ah, this is After Hours, explains a lot.....

ETA 2...... cartridges of what, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Video on internet, must be true so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your going to die anyway, corona virus or not.

What you getting in the chemist??
    Lemsips ??

Maybe throw up a link to the video if it exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

GooglePlus wrote: »

....F*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

_Brian wrote: »
    Your going to die anyway, corona virus or not.

What you getting in the chemist??
    Lemsips ??

Maybe throw up a link to the video if it exists.

Got it via whatsapp - send me your number ill gladly send it on!

• Advertisement

I was on a Conference call today to Chinese people in China. I now have a cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The news about it have gone viral..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What video? All sounds a bit ridiculously alarmist to me tbh....

ETA...... ah, this is After Hours, explains a lot.....

ETA 2...... cartridges of what, exactly?

Famous last words.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What's your point in the terms of government efficiency and transparency?

The last election in Ireland was 2016 and we got a government that wasted billions of taxpayer funds on badly run projects while the national debt grew to record levels. Many of the government TDs engaged in corruption and insurance/expense fraud.

The governments of the early 2000s were also hugely corrupt and bankrupted the country. They told us there would be a soft landing.

Bad as we are served here, we don't live in a totalitarian state.We have the opportunity to vote governments in and out.We don't have forced labour camps.
    We have a free press.
    You're seriously deluded if you think you can trust the communist state of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Famous last words.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://youtu.be/rwXPeIwV_q4

live chat at 11pm from adv. like them or not they have some salient views having lived in china and married to native chinese women

I imagine the Chinese luv their flag being disfigured that way :D

• Advertisement

No not false figures as in lying about the figures that have recorded, just taking actions that cause those cases not to be recorded as quickly as they could be.

So the beginning of the outbreak was suppressed, they are the most opaque regime in modern times (after North Korea) but now the default position is to accept their numbers? OnLy ConSpIrAcY LoSeRs QueStioN Communist PartY oF China? wtf

They didn't know what they had on their hands and when they realised the severity, they informed WHO in December.

Economy rules all and the same goes for Ireland, along with other Western countries. They weren't going to raise a red flag on a potential false alarm and unnecessarily send their country further toward a recession.

In the end they castrated their economy for good cause, shutting down a city with a population almost 3 times that of Ireland.

Not every story has a bad guy.

Bad as we are served here, we don't live in a totalitarian state.We have the opportunity to vote governments in and out.We don't have forced labour camps.
    We have a free press.
    You're seriously deluded if you think you can trust the communist state of China.

Free press like the independent who said coronavirus was in NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has Trump not nuked the epicentre yet???
    This is why we put him in the White House, moments like these.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

https://mobile.twitter.com/WHO/status/1222969858574430217

WHO - Don't interfere with international travel!!??!?!?

Did I read that right????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I normally drink Heineken so I should be ok. Having to chop up a lemon and squeeze it into the bottle top was always too much hassle, especially when you lose some of the beer when it foams up and rises when the lemon hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I imagine the Chinese luv their flag being disfigured that way :D

lol never spotted it

I normally drink Heineken so I should be ok. Having to chop up a lemon and squeeze it into the bottle top was always too much hassle, especially when you lose some of the beer when it foams up and rises when the lemon hits.

No flies on you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

christ on a bike, these clowns are protecting us??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ardinn wrote: »

I just received a video of what is happening in wuhan - to say we are all going to die is an understatement!

I for one welcome our new virus overlords

Would you prefer they advise the opposite and send us into a global economic depression?

They have to strike a fine balance.

Look at the hick comments on that Twitter post, maybe that will make you reassess your view on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First confirmed case in Moscow
    https://regnum.ru/news/2844936

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

They didn't know what they had on their hands and when they realised the severity, they informed WHO in December.

Economy rules all and the same goes for Ireland, along with other Western countries. They weren't going to raise a red flag on a potential false alarm and unnecessarily send their country further toward a recession.

In the end they castrated their economy for good cause, shutting down a city with a population almost 3 times that of Ireland.

Not every story has a bad guy.

So, they suppress at the outbreak of SARS during crucial stages, they suppress at the outbreak of this at the crucial stage and you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are innocent. They did their best and were just caught off gaurd?

Do you think that about SARS as well?

Like I know that they have reacted in a big way since they realised how much they ****ed up, I know they made the genome info public extremely fast and took these huge measures but I don't know why you attribute that to anything more than self preservation.

It's safe to assume they are not 'good guys'. I don't think of them as cartoon bad guys, I think their system lends itself to this crap and they should be held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ardinn wrote: »

Be careful with those videos, there is an awful lot of ****e. I saw a video last week of a person in a hazmat suit talking about terrible things, which turned out to be someone in Korea pretending to be Chinese.

Several videos of people falling over and people rioting have been from well before 2020.

People are weird, and some of them get off on causing panic.

https://www.corriere.it/cronache/20_gennaio_30/coronavirus-italia-corona-9d6dc436-4343-11ea-bdc8-faf1f56f19b7.shtml?refresh_ce-cp
    Two people in Rome diagnosed with coronavirus

https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news/coronavirus-ausbruch-im-news-ticker-china-rueckkehrer-sollen-in-kaserne-in-rheinland-pfalz-kommen_id_11576018.html
    A fifth coworker of a woman from Shanghai has been infected in Munich

Almost 1400 people in China in a serious condition, over 300 others in critical condition, combined with 170 deaths that would mean around 1 in 4 patients are experiencing severe complications from the virus
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Just two out of 128 cases outside China in a serious condition

Would you prefer they advise the opposite and send us into a global economic depression?
    Very true. It's not the job of the WHO to shut the world down every time some new virus appears - otherwise we'd all be in quarantine because colds (also a Coronavirus) were spreading.

The WHO have to give good advice to governments, without sending everyone into a panic. There are a number of serious viruses currently in circulation - there's H1N1 in India, Ebola in Africa, MERS in the Gulf, and we don't all barricade ourselves inside as a consequence - even though any one of these could end up in Dublin one day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Estimates put the upper limit on deaths in Ireland to be about 20k in a worst case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Estimates put the upper limit on deaths in Ireland to be about 20k in a worst case scenario.

Where is that coming from ?

I would estimate it’s closer to 10 million deaths in Ireland as worse case.

China.

Best case scenario in my opinion.

Probably about as valid as the other estimate. How can anyone even make any estimates about something like this? There are infinite variables that make it literally impossible

Samuel McConkey, Associate Professor and Head of the Department of International Health and Tropical Medicine at the RCSI

Samuel McConkey, Associate Professor and Head of the Department of International Health and Tropical Medicine at the RCSI

link..?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Probably about as valid as the other estimate. How can anyone even make any estimates about something like this? There are infinite variables that make it literally impossible

Estimates are never literally impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Some expert on the last word this evening, based on infection rates and death percentages ...worst case scenario, mind you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

wakka12 wrote: »
    link..?

Thousands of Irish people could become infected with coronavirus - expert warns
    "We could do that if we needed to, we have the technical ability to respond to this if it becomes an issue of extensional survival of 20,000 people in Ireland potentially.

I think he is more so saying that we have the ability to respond to upwards of 20,000 deaths.

I stopped reading after this
    We're a very, very wealthy country. To put this in context the Chinese have just given €8 billion to build two big hospitals in Wuhan to deal with isolated cases - that's four children's hospitals they're proposing to build in two weeks and they probably will.

"We could do that if we needed to, we have the technical ability to respond to this if it becomes an issue of extensional survival of 20,000 people in Ireland potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Thousands of Irish people could become infected with coronavirus - expert warns

I think he is more so saying that we have the ability to respond to upwards of 20,000 deaths.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21702063

1hr 14 min in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I wasn't worried until our leaders said how we're a wealthy country and have capacity to deal with 5k people needing oxygen to survive. Because our health service is a bit of a shambles without that load and our leaders are bull**** artists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

So its "an estimate" by an individual, not estimates, and hes not even estimating, hes hypothesizing, and finally, it was 20K infections not deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Estimates high or low the sensible thing to do is stop flights from affected areas now. It won't affect our economy as much as a large scale outbreak here might. Acting now may slow its progress any amount of reaction if/when it comes here may not be enough.

I wasn't worried until our leaders said how we're a wealthy country and have capacity to deal with 5k people needing oxygen to survive. Because our health service is a bit of a shambles without that load and our leaders are bull**** artists.

And people here think the Chinese Gubberment are full of ****e..

Ireland: Hold my Corona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Over 20 countries now, which is a concern.

pEYAOVH.png

10 confirmed cases in Europe, 9 in N.America, 9 Australia
    Over 8,200 confirmed cases, many more suspected cases.

Ireland could build a porta-cabin hospital like China is doing without a bother. We did something similar decades ago during TB when we had loads of improvised hospitals. Cancelling elective surgeries would free up a ton of beds if needed.

Estimates are never literally impossible.

It's impossible to estimate with any degree of accuracy before there has even been one confirmed case in Ireland. If his estimate turns out to be correct, it is complete chance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement