Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was due to fly Dublin to Venice on Feb 19th - I didn't take the flight, but I just notice my check-in email (Aer Lingus) has

"Coronavirus US travel restrictions: If you are due to travel to the United States and have been in mainland China in the last 14 days, we ask that you contact us on +353 1 761 7844 or via this link before you start your journey."

Has anyone else flown recently/had something like this? It would be perhaps reassuring if, for example, flights from China (this email was a week ago) to, say, Ireland were treated similarly..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have to agree with this sentiment on zero cases (tweet 2) Also are Italy’s numbers rising because they are testing so many. https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1231643365051162625?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Ficheall wrote: »
    I was due to fly Dublin to Venice on Feb 19th - I didn't take the flight, but I just notice my check-in email (Aer Lingus) has

"Coronavirus US travel restrictions: If you are due to travel to the United States and have been in mainland China in the last 14 days, we ask that you contact us on +353 1 761 7844 or via this link before you start your journey."

Has anyone else flown recently/had something like this? It would be perhaps reassuring if, for example, flights from China (this email was a week ago) to, say, Ireland were treated similarly..

I understood there were no direct flights to China from here, am I wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mouthful wrote: »
    Fair point - bad example :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Think they were to be introduced this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    , people from all over the world rubbing against each other in tight lanes for days

And this is in Venice, you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Air travel will not cease, and at this stage probably shouldn't just yet.

But it may in time be a conduit for further infections globally.

Just look on FR24 to see the amount of flights over the affected areas.

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, and keep washing your hands. Thoroughly..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Ficheall wrote: »

The US has restrictions that say anyone who has been in China who is not a US citizen cannot enter the country for 2 weeks post visit to China. Doesn’t matter where they’re flying from. You could fly from China to the UK to Ireland and try to get into the US 12 days after you left China and they won’t let you in. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-china.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There are reported 132 cases in Italy, some reports are the the virus numbers double every 6 days or so. This means if the reports of those infected are correct it is most likely that the first infection in theses clusters was about 25-30 days ago. Some time around the 25 Jan perhaps. That is a pretty long time for so many to develop and be largely undetected and of course would perhaps indicate that there are more infections that we dont know about yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Public awareness is very poor in relation to this, people are still flying over and back to Northern Italy with no restrictions or awareness of what’s happening. I think this is a bad tactic to employ, and it will stoke panic and mistrust in the authorities. We need decisive action from the people in charge, not leaflets and out of date information on the HSE website.
    1. Acting minister for health or director of the HSE needs to call a press conference and state what measures, if any people could take now. Eg, hygiene, hand washes, not going into work if you have information that you might have been exposed, etc, NOT to go into a crowded GP waiting room or A & E and what numbers to ring.
    2. Update your website information!! Don’t keep passing the book to the WHO and European CDC which have so far proved to be utterly inadequate. Update travel information to pretty much all of Asia, Italy& Iran do it regularly to show you’re actually keeping a track of this threat & are acting efficiently.
    3. Advise people to keep in touch with the news over the next few days. Develop an app or government information system to communicate to the public in areas that might become affected.
    4. Set up temperature checks at Dublin airport, it will help slow spread a little and is not a pointless exercise. Time is what we need now, or the services here will be completely overwhelmed.

There could well be more cases of Coronavirus in Europe but perhaps Italy are testing more people now they're aware it is circulating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Does it really matter if the flights are direct or not? We all know that many Chinese people who reside in Ireland travelled home for Chinese New year and have since returned. My local Chinese takeaway was closed because the family who run it went home for New Year, it's open again for a while now.

It doesn't matter in any case. The window where this could have been contained in China is gone. It could come from anywhere now. One thing is for sure when, not if , it comes here the Hse won't be able to cope with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Blud wrote: »
    And this is in Venice, you say?

There seems to be a Venice Carnival party in San Marco square at the moment.

They didn’t get the memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Here's a street-level cam close by at the Rialto Bridge.
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/it/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/rialto-canal-grande.html
    Doesn't seem any mass panic in Venice anyway.
    About 3%-4% of people wearing masks I'd reckon (no-one criticise my statistics plz :P)

Just had a nosey on the dept of foreign affairs websites for here and the UK.

The UK was updated today and lists all eventualities including the rugby.
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

In comparison - Irish site updated on the18th and Simon told us all was grand and we’d given the WHO a few bob. As far as the foreign office is aware, there are still Irish citizens on the diamond princess. Should someone tell him they are in the Wirral?

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/statement-by-the-tanaiste-on-the-consular-aspects-of-the-covid-19-coronavirus-outbreak.php

Perhaps beasty can send them an email in bold writing :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Odd, I thought we would be here a few weeks ago, but now it seems to be reaching the "tipping point".

Maybe it's because of the long incubation period.

A pandemic seems unstoppable now.

Just had a nosey on the dept of foreign affairs websites for here and the UK.

The UK was updated today and lists all eventualities including the rugby.
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

In comparison - Irish site updated on the18th and Simon told us all was grand and we’d given the WHO a few bob. As far as the foreign office is aware, there are still Irish citizens on the diamond princess. Should someone tell him they are in the Wirral?

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/statement-by-the-tanaiste-on-the-consular-aspects-of-the-covid-19-coronavirus-outbreak.php

Perhaps beasty can send them an email in bold writing :D

Doesn't provide much faith, does it. Clowns.

These face masks are stupid.
    They don't work and only add to the drama.

Just stay at home if you feel unwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There seems to be a Venice Carnival party in San Marco square at the moment.
    The last days of the Venice Carnival have been disrupted. The AAP said it was now cancelled, must have got the fax just in time.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    These face masks are stupid.
    They don't work and only add to the drama.

Just stay at home if you feel unwell.

Yep. Maybe we can do an AMA with the first of us who tests positive.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

CFR much higher than 3% in Irana according to Campbell
    Campbell says the Virus may have mutated to a more deadly disease in Iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02TwdiRUJTA

11:00 onwards

• Advertisement

The last days of the Venice Carnival have been disrupted. The AAP said it was now cancelled, must have got the fax just in time.

Maybe someone should pull out the plug to that light show in the square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Just back from a LiDL big-shop before the wu-flu-plague arrives upon these shores.

Over in Casalpusterlengo (ITA), their Lidl grocery store was only allowing shoppers to enter in groups of 40. Police were called to the make sure there wasn't a rush on their Newgate CornFlakes, which taste much the same as the Kellogs (other varieties are available). The best bet would be their tinned chicken soup, costs the same as a pint of the black stuff, for about a dozen.

Doesn't provide much faith, does it. Clowns.

No, it doesn’t. If there is one place that should be working 24/7 it’s the foreign office. Even if it’s to direct to the HSE website or whatever. The uk website is in a completely different league.

And regardless of the lack of government it is the civil servants who run the show so where are they?

South Korea:

The city’s streets were eerily quiet, with stores and restaurants closed and stations, markets and shopping areas devoid of the usual foot traffic. The few people who dared to venture out were masked and wearing gloves.

Are we really going to do this in every location that has an outbreak?

At what point do we move beyond the containment stage?

Who (!) decides? The WHO? Governments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

BanditLuke wrote: »
    There should be a special place in hell for that sort. "I haven't missed a day off work in 10 years" should translate to " I come into work even when I'm sick because I don't care about other people "

We have a real Typhoid Mary in our place, last winter he came in with a really bad cough and cold and over the following 2 weeks most of the staff had to take time off, like you said, a special place in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

How long did it take to get a swine flu vaccine ? I rember that was all sorted quickly.....though I did catch it... worse flu of my life... could barely walk

South Korea:

The city’s streets were eerily quiet, with stores and restaurants closed and stations, markets and shopping areas devoid of the usual foot traffic. The few people who dared to venture out were masked and wearing gloves.

Are we really going to do this in every location that has an outbreak?

At what point do we move beyond the containment stage?

Who (!) decides? The WHO? Governments?

All I can say is Simon Harris is supposed to save us all.

Think about that for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

MD1990 wrote: »
    CFR much higher than 3% in Irana according to Campbell
    Campbell says the Virus may have mutated to a more deadly disease in Iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02TwdiRUJTA

11:00 onwards

As if there isn’t enough hysteria on here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

How long did it take to get a swine flu vaccine ? I rember that was all sorted quickly.....though I did catch it... worse flu of my life... could barely walk

That vaccine really helped you out then.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lemoncorona

Some of the patients in Lombardy diagnosed with COVID-19 have been in intensive care for up to two weeks before being diagnosed. This fact, combined with the rapid rate of new cases seems to indicate that the virus has been circulating in Italy for weeks without being detected among the general population - It's only showing up now because tests are being conducted.

All public events, sporting events, sports groups, schools & universities, cinemas etc in Lombardy have been prohibited but it looks like being too little too late. If that is the case here, I would be highly surprised if it's not the case in many other European countries...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement