Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

As if there isn’t enough hysteria on here....

Where is the hysteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

No, it doesn’t. If there is one place that should be working 24/7 it’s the foreign office. Even if it’s to direct to the HSE website or whatever. The uk website is in a completely different league.

And regardless of the lack of government it is the civil servants who run the show so where are they?

Looking at their pensions and laughing?

That flight from Milan arrived at 7:45 They'll be just strolling into Dublin now with zero checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Where is the hysteria?

^^

^^

That poster is just pointing our the lack of sensible checks in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Jesus wept, what hysreria? You do know there's an actual pandemic developing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think it can or will be contained now, having jumped Continents as we speak.

Air travel being the one thing that may (will) spread it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

It's ok don't worry, Simon Harris will save us if the virus gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

We need global warming to do us a favour and start kicking in

I don't think it can or will be contained now, having jumped Continents as we speak.

Air travel being the one thing that may (will) spread it really.

Check the HSE website all is fine.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So am I right that the cases in Italy have no link to China which is why there is worry.

• Advertisement

Yeah because you know better than an actual guy who's job it is to know these things.

It's ok don't worry, Simon Harris will save us if the virus gets here.

By blaming SF?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So am I right that the cases in Italy have no link to China which is why there is worry.

I don’t think they know who started the spread there. I’d hazard a guess that when the first case is confirmed in Ireland, the poor lad or lass will not have had any contact with China either.

Check the HSE website all is fine.:D

To be honest Cinema Guy, I couldn't be ar$ed to do that, although I am sure your post was tongue in cheek given the efficiency of HSE in everything else.

But it is not confined to Ireland either. Flights are landing all over from everywhere. Nothing can be done. Sooner or later our country will have positive tests.

Sighs with abject raising of eyebrows now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeah because you know better than an actual guy who's job it is to know these things.

An ‘actual guy’...fair enough

To be honest Cinema Guy, I couldn't be ar$ed to do that, although I am sure your post was tongue in cheek given the efficiency of HSE in everything else.

But it is not confined to Ireland either. Flights are landing all over from everywhere. Nothing can be done. Sooner or later our country will have positive tests.

Sighs with abject raising of eyebrows now.

No you're right my post was tongue in cheek.

It's a pandemic now I think the only reason we have no confirmed cases here is because the HSE have the testing as well organised as their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don’t think they know who started the spread there. I’d hazard a guess that when the first case is confirmed in Ireland, the poor lad or lass will not have had any contact with China either.

I’m not a betting man but I think the first case will show up in a Multinational here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Irish couple from the cruise ship are quarantined in the Wirral in UK.

Listening to the BBC news, sounds like they are from the south as opposed to NI. How come they weren’t brought home?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

No you're right my post was tongue in cheek.

It's a pandemic now I think the only reason we have no confirmed cases here is because the HSE have the testing as well organised as their website.

LOL.

I think we just have to go live our lives without panic, and hope for the best.

We obviously will not be alone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I’m not a betting man but I think the first case will show up in a Multinational here.

Aldi or Lidl?

• Advertisement

scotchy wrote: »
    Irish couple from the cruise ship are quarantined in the Wirral in UK.

Listening to the BBC news, sounds like they are from the south as opposed to NI. How come they weren’t brought home?

If they were ISIS fighters the Government would send the jet for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

So what defcon level are we at today folks?

fr336 wrote: »
    So what defcon level are we at today folks?

Yellow alert.

Brown alert on hold for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There was something on the news a week or two ago, Indeed™ told 1,000 staff (Ire & Aus) to work from their PJ's (at home), as one visitor/consultant was in China, Singapore or somewhere before visiting Dub/Syd.

Heard somewhere that something like 90% of the bigger MNC's are non-nationals (another subject there for another day), imagine many might do a bit of air travel from month to month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

If they were ISIS fighters the Government would send the jet for them.

I think the Government jet can be set up as a medi vac from what I remember.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, it doesn’t. If there is one place that should be working 24/7 it’s the foreign office. Even if it’s to direct to the HSE website or whatever. The uk website is in a completely different league.

And regardless of the lack of government it is the civil servants who run the show so where are they?

Working from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    These face masks are stupid.
    They don't work and only add to the drama.

Just stay at home if you feel unwell.

Why are the police officers and all those in authority wearing masks if they don't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Carol25 wrote: »
    Public awareness is very poor in relation to this, people are still flying over and back to Northern Italy with no restrictions or awareness of what’s happening. I think this is a bad tactic to employ, and it will stoke panic and mistrust in the authorities. We need decisive action from the people in charge, not leaflets and out of date information on the HSE website.
    1. Acting minister for health or director of the HSE needs to call a press conference and state what measures, if any people could take now. Eg, hygiene, hand washes, not going into work if you have information that you might have been exposed, etc, NOT to go into a crowded GP waiting room or A & E and what numbers to ring.
    2. Update your website information!! Don’t keep passing the book to the WHO and European CDC which have so far proved to be utterly inadequate. Update travel information to pretty much all of Asia, Italy& Iran do it regularly to show you’re actually keeping a track of this threat & are acting efficiently.
    3. Advise people to keep in touch with the news over the next few days. Develop an app or government information system to communicate to the public in areas that might become affected.
    4. Set up temperature checks at Dublin airport, it will help slow spread a little and is not a pointless exercise. Time is what we need now, or the services here will be completely overwhelmed.

There could well be more cases of Coronavirus in Europe but perhaps Italy are testing more people now they're aware it is circulating.

Would he fek away off with your logic and common sense! Sure it'll be grand. The media have this one covered. ;)

• Advertisement

Yellow alert.

Brown alert on hold for now.

I do hope that yellow alert does not refer to our Chinese friends, but the brown alert is something else altogether. Would not be allowed at all because of the R word.

But I know what you mean :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement