Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It’s killed significantly less than the flu among same numbers infected.
    Can you clarify what you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I think it's been around for a while, all over the place. Remember the thread about the particularly bad "dose" going around around christmas? Makes you wonder.

Ah come on that wasn't Covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Just to give an insight into how a lot of people are treating this.
    My wife laughed at me today when I suggested we stock up on pasta, rice, lentils water etc....
    She suggested I see a psychologist when I told her the extent of my worries - "Stop watching John Campbell" she said, he's a youtuber and is not officially on the news so he can't be trusted apparently.

Some people just want to believe the news, the official optimistic reports - it's mind boggling.

People laugh off the event until we get a case or two and then they’re rushing to the shops. In every country there has been a rapid move to panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ficheall wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean by this?

The flu, worldwide, kills about 500K each year.
    Corona isn’t anywhere near this.

It has a much higher survival rate among infected also

Yes it’s a worrying disease. But it isn’t ‘catastrophic’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Canaries in 3 weeks.

Funnily enough the sandstorms closing all airports in Tenerife and maybe more islands is a bigger news story here in Spain than the coronavirus.

But canaries - 3 weeks, they are islands, quite warm, direct flights, I think you'll be ok ...

Was watching the news earlier and they had some expert on from hispital clinic in Barcelona and he was saying what Italy are doing is necessary a precaution - that it is still small clusters and extremely rare - WHO line.

Also look at BBC news, most of the day the main story on front page was Bernie Sanders winning Nevada, but the top read story by far was the South Korea/Italy situation.

Are the media being told to keep it upbeat to avoid panic ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Funnily enough the sandstorms closing all airports is a bigger news story here in Spain than the coronavirus.

But canaries - 3 weeks, they are islands, quite warm, direct flights, I think you'll be ok ...

Was watching the news earlier and they had some expert on from hispital clinic in Barcelona and he was saying what Italy are doing is necessary a precaution - that it is still small clusters and extremely rare - WHO line.

Also look at BBC news, most of the day the main story on front page was Bernie Sanders winning Nevada, but the top read story by far was the South Korea/Italy situation.

Band on the Titanic.

Funnily enough the sandstorms closing all airports is a bigger news story here in Spain than the coronavirus.

Very possible, the news media haven't had a leg to stand on for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Canaries in 3 weeks.

Malaga all the way for me, not knocking your choice, but shorter flight and if you choose the right spot there will be no ahem, Brits/Irish abroad either. I know lol.

Enjoy anyway, you will be fine. Gracias.

Band on the Titanic.
    :D:D ah jaesus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

What has a much higher survival rate? Covid-19 has a much higher death rate than the normal flu based on current figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Austria has denied access for a train over it's border tonight.

Could be the firing gun on more officious restrictions.

So what about Ireland Italy 6 nations game on March 7 ?
    I am assuming that has next to nothing chance of going ahead at this stage ?

Which is why governments are shutting down cities and towns and flights, crippling their own economies or damaging them severely... judge what the experts in charge do, not just what they say while containing panic (which can cause as much damage as the virus). I don’t doubt the virus will probably only kill small percentages actually, but it will be big enough to still register as an avoidable human tragedy if it gets out of control.

I agree with other posters that a measured increase in awareness and potential preparation is a lot better than a dash to mingle with the wider population rushing to get the last sliced pan of Brennan’s out of Tesco when there’s confirmed cases on the ground. I don’t fancy being part of the 1-2% or being part of the second order effects, ala disabled folks left to die when services break down for them if it becomes a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Nijmegen wrote: »
    People laugh off the event until we get a case or two and then they’re rushing to the shops. In every country there has been a rapid move to panic buying.

I'm planning on getting some supplies in so was doing some research today. Is powdered milk available in Ireland? I'll need a substitute for milk that has a longer shelf life. Is soya milk as awful as it used to be?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Malaga all the way for me, not knocking your choice, but shorter flight and if you choose the right spot there will be no ahem, Brits/Irish abroad either. I know lol.

Enjoy anyway, you will be fine. Gracias.

I'm curious, where is the right spot? Thanks

Yeah, this is the bit I'm having an issue with. Can you provide a link that shows the coronavirus has a higher survival rate than the flu does?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Have any women died outside China yet?

So what about Ireland Italy 6 nations game on March 7 ?
    I am assuming that has next to nothing chance of going ahead at this stage ?

Nobody cares/ Rugby isn't a proper sport

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting some supplies in so was doing some research today. Is powdered milk available in Ireland? I'll need a substitute for milk that has a longer shelf life. Is soya milk as awful as it used to be?!!
    Almond milk is the nicest of the substitutes imo and has a decent shelf life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ah come on that wasn't Covid19

How do we know though?

No knowledge or testing available until late December/Early January.

It was a particularly rampant dose, worse than a regular cold too. I know several people who were hospitalised with it.

It's possible, maybe not likely but certainly possible. This thing could already be around a long time but it was only noticed when it hit a highly populated region like China.

It might not have started there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm genuinely gonna have an anxiety attack if I keep reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The only solution is to suspend all flights to and from everywhere now.

Can you see that happening?

I'm off to Singapore, Thailand and Philippines on 1st of April. I'm hoping there's no flight restrictions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It’s not just the virus is the worry, it’s the strain it will put on our all ready strained health service.

MastiffMrs wrote: »

There’s guides available online. Just add a bit to your shop and have a think about the sidebar stuff you need - pet food and suchlike. It’s not gonna be a nuclear holocaust, I doubt you’ll need a ham radio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Ficheall wrote: »
    Yeah, this is the bit I'm having an issue with. Can you provide a link that shows the coronavirus has a higher survival rate than the flu does?

hqdefault.jpg

Can we just get out of the way this is much much more dangerous than normal flu. That has been confirmed by experts the world over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

fr336 wrote: »
    Have any women died outside China yet?

Yeah in Italy.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'm genuinely gonna have an anxiety attack if I keep reading this thread.

I try and stay positive but realistic.

Positives
    Italy / South Korea should give real data and give us a better picture on what the rates are ...
    Children seem to avoid serious cases - very good news.
    Weather will gradually get warmer - hopefully it will slow it down ...

We all know the negatives ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's very strange, not necessarily because of Corona but because when it comes to terrorism and other issues they can't get enough of terrifying people 24/7. Then again maybe it's simply the nature of the story - there's not much you can report on really, until it arrives on Irish or British shores in large numbers and they can interview lots of Irish / Brits. But yes, strange.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can we just get out of the way this is much much more dangerous than normal flu. That has been confirmed by experts the world over.

It’s also incremental to the normal flu. Even if it only had the same impact, you could effectively double up the deaths if it spread uncontrolled. So it doesn’t really matter what the eventual death rate will be, if we know about it and can try stem it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement