Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

pc7 wrote: »
    It’s not just the virus is the worry, it’s the strain it will put on our all ready strained health service.

Still can't believe people aren't getting this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

btw there was some radio segment on earlier , on RTE ? did anyone listen to it ?

Probably nothing to worry about unless you were in mainland China in the last 14 days ... FUXAKE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Nobody is making fun of the dead.

This subject is not funny in the least but better to keep our sprits up.

The enemy here is a virus we are ALL potential targets.

On the off chance it gets me I am not going to spend what time I have left worried and depressed.:)

What a trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

was talking to some friends in Italy earlier on, in the infected areas people are basically living Wuhan life, one day everything was fine the next day there are police cars with loud speakers going around inviting people to stay in. Apparently there is an emergency plan to bring food to the shops, but for the moment the shelves are empty, all changed in one day

https://video.corriere.it/milano/coronavirus-assalto-supermercati-milano-immagini-scaffali-vuoti/cacf6b4e-5664-11ea-b447-d9646dbdb12a

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    was talking to some friends in Italy earlier on, in the infected areas people are basically living Wuhan life, one day everything was fine the next day there are police cars with loud speakers going around inviting people to stay in. Apparently there is an emergency plan to bring food to the shops, but for the moment the shelves are empty, all in one day

https://video.corriere.it/milano/coronavirus-assalto-supermercati-milano-immagini-scaffali-vuoti/cacf6b4e-5664-11ea-b447-d9646dbdb12a

Let me just look about 500 pages up thread to the “when it goes, it goes quickly” warnings....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

fr336 wrote: »
    Have any women died outside China yet?
    Only aul blokes catch this man-flu^
    By 2022 it will be 500 wimins to every chappie.

Kate Beckindalewatserface if you're reading, can offer to place you within my top5 choice selections for the future human re-production program. Oh and that weather girl, lucy-verasamymajig also, she has a very nice smile.

^jest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It's very strange, not necessarily because of Corona but because when it comes to terrorism and other issues they can't get enough of terrifying people 24/7. Then again maybe it's simply the nature of the story - there's not much you can report on really, until it arrives on Irish or British shores in large numbers and they can interview lots of Irish / Brits. But yes, strange.

The media is also happy to scare people about Ebola, but plenty of silence on Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm curious, where is the right spot? Thanks

San Pedro de Alcantara. For us anyway. Estepona is the next lovely spot. We work between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How do we know though?

No knowledge or testing available until late December/Early January.

It was a particularly rampant dose, worse than a regular cold too. I know several people who were hospitalised with it.

It's possible, maybe not likely but certainly possible. This thing could already be around a long time but it was only noticed when it hit a highly populated region like China.

It might not have started there.

Exactly. This is one of the most deadly "flu" seasons in a lot of places too. Maybe some of those deaths arent the flu? Apparently they dont test for it as standard except in children. When I had it and was way worse than a regular cold but didnt feel like a flu. Had an upset stomach with it too which is unusual for a cold.

To get to the level it did in china it had to have been circulating for weeks before it became widely known. We know that thousands of people travelled back and forth in that time. I think it is possible.

Only aul blokes catch this man-flu^
    By 2022 it will be 500 wimins to every chappie.

Kate Beckindalewatserface if you're reading, can offer to place you within my top5 choice selections for the future human re-production program. Oh and that weather girl, lucy-verasamymajig also, she has a very nice smile.

^jest

:D:D:D

and yes, of course women have died outside of China too. One died in italy yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

In contact with a teacher in Milan. All schools closed. Major shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

How do we know though?

No knowledge or testing available until late December/Early January.

It was a particularly rampant dose, worse than a regular cold too. I know several people who were hospitalised with it.

It's possible, maybe not likely but certainly possible. This thing could already be around a long time but it was only noticed when it hit a highly populated region like China.

It might not have started there.

It is not possible, based on multiple independent lines of evidence.

Here are some:

All SARS-CoV-2 whole genome sequences isolated around the world show high similarity and can be traced back to a recent single origin estimated around Dec 2019, in China.

If the virus were already circulating here it would have been picked up at high levels in the tests done so far - >5k in the UK alone, with a handful of positives, all traceable to recent travel to China or contact with people who have recently travelled to China.

Meanwhile, regular flu surveillance in the UK and here *did* identify flu viruses in symptomatic people over the winter period.
    There is extensive weekly reporting in both countries (indeed all developed nations) on which flu strains are circulating and how prevalent they are. What we had in December was flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Austria has already suspended all trains in and out of Italy.

A big worry for anyone travelling abroad soon would be getting stuck in a lock down somewhere.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Positives
    Weather will gradually get warmer - hopefully it will slow it down ...
    This is true, but often it just moves to the Southern Hem, the Aussies catch their cold when it's gets sunny in Lapland, then switches back to the North for the following season.

The H1N1 is still kicking about and mutating slightly over in the States, this one might (hopefully not) be around for a decade or so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just came on to post the same, all trains now https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231688863191617536?s=21

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting some supplies in so was doing some research today. Is powdered milk available in Ireland? I'll need a substitute for milk that has a longer shelf life. Is soya milk as awful as it used to be?!!

I can’t see it on Tesco’s website but you can get it in Asda if you’re near Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

pc7 wrote: »
    Just came on to post the same, all trains now https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231688863191617536?s=21

Serous question what about flights?

Edit I think this is where this sh*t starts to get real for those still in denial.

Major move by Austria that. Has to be respected putting it's citizens first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Saw a Twitter comment saying why no cases in India and someone said the virus can't transmit in temperatures over 24 degrees - wishful thinking?

Italy was the first country to stop flights to/from China. The ban was in place already end of January causing controversy

• Advertisement

darjeeling wrote: »
    It is not possible, based on multiple independent lines of evidence.
    Agree, ever a komputer virus signature can usually be traced back to some hoodie in a basement of the red faction. Or to those other lads that like to use Ire PP's when flying about sticking their stux net into overseas chargepoints.

Saw a Twitter comment saying why no cases in India and someone said the virus can't transmit in temperatures over 24 degrees - wishful thinking?

No idea but let's all hope that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I once saw a Twitter post saying Elvis was abducted by Aliens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Serous question what about flights?

l.

Maybe not as easy to do? Likely locking out lots of your own citizens? Not sure of border set up, are they letting cars in? Is there border checks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What seems probable is that it can spread in just about any climite. But it will not last long in wamer climites.

I can't understand the big deal about closing borders and other major measures. If the economy is so fragile it can't not collapse for even a day or week, what does that tell us? And you know that thing called snow which grinds Ireland and UK to a halt for days on end? The economy doesn't implode after snow, does it. I just feel it's pure greed in today's world, any last penny to be made and it takes priority. Constant growth, growth, growth la la la...anyway that's for another thread.

People who think we're scaremongering in here really shouldn't search for this on Twitter..

One thing that won’t help here is that Irish people, especially the elderly, cling to using cash. I am puzzled
    by it; even the young folk in Dundrum SC fumble for coins to pay for parking when a quick tap of the card would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

scotchy wrote: »
    I think the Government jet can be set up as a medi vac from what I remember.

Yep, it doubles up as a medi-vac flight, used a lot by crumlin and temple st to bring sick kids over and back to UK for critical ops that aren't carried out here.

• Advertisement

:D Rubbish, everyone knows Elvis shot Kennedy and it was a revenge hit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement