Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

One thing that won’t help here is that Irish people, especially the elderly, cling to using cash. I am puzzled
    by it; even the young folk in Dundrum SC fumble for coins to pay for parking when a quick tap of the card would do.

I was always dead against contactless, thought it was less secure or something. Since this started I'm using contactless all the time - no PIN entries where other people have been. And cash only for taxi drivers - they can keep the change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

One thing that won’t help here is that Irish people, especially the elderly, cling to using cash. I am puzzled
    by it; even the young folk in Dundrum SC fumble for coins to pay for parking when a quick tap of the card would do.

Cash is king and will remain king in my world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

How long will schools in Milan be shut for ?
    same for travel restrictions ? we talking weeks or months here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

fr336 wrote: »
    People who think we're scaremongering in here really shouldn't search for this on Twitter..

Big time, I made the mistake of searching for #coronavirus on twitter yesterday - jesus the amount of ****e!!!

Was like reading excerpts from Stephen Kings The Stand

I come here as it's quite level headed - realistic but fair.

Like Dr. John Videos , facts don't care about feelings ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

TomSweeney wrote: »

If you get an answer, DM me and we’ll head down to PP, I’ll cut you in on my winnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Still to early to say. If it goes full wuhan then possibly months, if contained then days possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, plans to open 70 extra hospitals
    http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-la-france-achete-des-dizaines-de-millions-de-masques-23-02-2020-8265609.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Not sure but I'd say a fortnight at a minimum or until they find the source of the infection. Vietnam has closed all schools until end of march according to Dr John Campbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Still to early to say. If it goes full wuhan then possibly months, if contained then days possibly.

Would be the same if we were to close the ports like some want.
    Could be no flights or ferries until summer time. Not sure how well that would work for an island nation like us.

wakka12 wrote: »
    This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, to open 70 new hospitals
    http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-la-france-achete-des-dizaines-de-millions-de-masques-23-02-2020-8265609.php

Thank you Wakka, for making a bad day 10 times worse lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This is just mad lads

France buys tens of millions of facial masks, to open 70 new hospitals

Yes and we were overreacting and scaring people.

Related but very random question - how much of an impact does being teetotal have on your immune system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Nobody knows, that's the scary thing.

Millions in Wuhan have been in lock down for a month now.

Its terrifying, how are they managing there for essentials and why aren't we hearing much from the region?

Thank you Wakka, for making a bad day 10 times worse lol

If it makes you feel any better the HSE will be doing sweet FA.

Related but very random question - how much of an impact does being teetotal have on your immune system?

It has a hugely positive benefit, alcohol greatly negatively impacts your immune system and its why the risk of many cancers increases so much with alcohol abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Watch Air Travel. It is not going to change unless we refuse to board.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is just mad lads

They must be hysterical!

Oh no wait this is what a capable country does to protect itself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nobody knows, that's the scary thing.

Millions in Wuhan have been in lock down for a month now.

Its terrifying, how are they managing there for essentials and why aren't we hearing much from the region?

Because it's basically a disaster zone and the type of measures the chinese have to use there are not for public consumption.

Just over 800 posts to go and we will have a new thread.

Points to be discussed for the opening post?

1. The thread title should be capitalised.

2. Whoever of us gets the virus first has to pledge to keep posting or they forfeit their spam and beans they’ve stockpiled.

3. Some quick and easy recipes (including how to make bread) should be included.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Hanging out in Dubai airport for seven hours, I'd say 1% of people have masks. I saw one guy with an n95 mask, he must be gasping for breath wearing that all day.

Suddenly I'm very concious of how many people cough and sputter regularly, we need to ban cigarettes.

• Advertisement

2. Whoever of us gets the virus first has to pledge to keep posting or they forfeit their spam and beans they’ve stockpiled.

3. Some quick and easy recipes (including how to make bread) should be included.

Anything else?

But mostly especially this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was always dead against contactless, thought it was less secure or something. Since this started I'm using contactless all the time - no PIN entries where other people have been. And cash only for taxi drivers - they can keep the change!

How do you manage door handles, bannister rails, escalator belts, café table tops, bus seats, shopping trollies, paper copies of reports/forms, door keypads, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This is just mad lads

Jesus, 70 hospitals?! We can't even open one! (childrens hospital)

Anything else?

Plenty of spam on this thread already and we don't need anything that causes more farting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This is just mad lads

That’s not quite what it said. An additional 70 hospitals will be able to look after patients.
    If so far, 38 health facilities were able to accommodate possible patients, as of Monday, will add 70 facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The google translate says 70 health establishments not hospitals.

Can someone who can speak French confirm it's 70 hospitals?

But mostly especially this :mad:

I knew someone was driven nuts over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Anything else?

Has there been any research into the effect of hot whiskeys on the virus?

I assume they are some kind 'reserve' hospitals though rather than new builds as they are opening them tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How could they staff so many new sites?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement