Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Damien360 wrote: »
    It says they have 38 currently dedicated health establishments to handle these patients and can expand to 70 which would be enough to cover anything else. Masks are for health professionals, not general public.

Thanks, I was wondering what spaceage technolegy the French had developed to build 70 hospitials overnight!
    Yes that did not stop people posting it as fact!
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe not sensationalism but a cautionary tale to not use google translate as gospel.

Google translate got it right for the post part, it was the people posting the article that got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

wadacrack wrote: »
    I'm seeing nothing on social media either, we talk on media alot of mental health etc. But I guarantee if someone shared something on this they would probably be ridiculed for being a worrier or negative . I have worried about this since I found out about the virus at the end on January. It has definitely affected me mentally the past few weeks

You're not alone. This thread has been a godsend

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Husband also laughed at me when I suggested doing some stocking up. When I chatted to him about it, he said he actually is laughing really because it seems so surreal. I don't see a huge risk to myself, as I've no pre-existing conditions, and neither does he, but we have parents who do. I also work with kids who cough and splutter over me every day.

Anyway, he finally got a bit more serious and he agreed to doing a non-perishable shop with me tomorrow, of stuff that we will use anyway so there is no wastage. Some of the things I was thinking of were rye bread (very long shelf life), oat/almond milk, those english muffin things from aldi, nuts, cheese, pasta, jarred pasta sauces, beans, frozen and tinned veg and fruit, porridge, paracetamol etc. All the same stuff I buy when we expect to be snowed in. We already have gloves and masks from DIY projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Wonder what the next step is for Austria. Closing your border to trains - plural - means you have a general suspicion of transmission rather than thinking one particular punter on one particular train is a hazard. Next surely is road and air travel. Unless it’s very specific intelligence they’re acting on, but I dunno, feels like more bans will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

tuxy wrote: »
    Thanks, I was wondering what spaceage technolegy the French had developed to build 70 hospitials overnight!

Google translate got it right for the post part, it was the people posting the article that got it wrong.
    Ah I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's time the HSE and the government got a bit more pro-active with communication. What are they going to do if this spreads here which seems increasingly likely. What actions are going to be taken. If we see wide-spread community spread, are they going to ask people to self-isolate and who do they ring if they think they might need medical help, are they going to set up quarantine hospitals, are there plans to try and help elderly or immuno-compromised people.

None of this is scare-mongering, it's just sensible messaging to suggest they are planning ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

fr336 wrote: »
    The only ray of positivity I can see is what people were discussing earlier about a particularly bad dose going around a while back - if that is the case, and it was Corona, then maybe the surge in cases is purely down to people being tested and deaths being treated as not more general causes? A long shot I know, but mildly plausible. And nowhere is still anywhere near as bad as China (whose official figures, which almost certainly aren't true, are bad enough).

65 people have been tested in Ireland since January according to the hse,
    it was on the news during the week,all negative but still shows it was a worry for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Situation so serious President of France announcing contingency measures.
    One EU state Austria virtually closing borders to another Italy which has shutdown public events in one of its regions.

Meanwhile in Ireland it is Sunday.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

They'd care more if you were an Aberdeen Angus or Friesian cow in danger of Foot and Mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A bit confusing. Here is says all train traffic halted

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231688863191617536

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If this got a hold in Dublin is there a plan to move Government away from danger out to a safer place? Many of our officials and representatives are over 50 and aren't from Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

Out of curiosity, would the Ireland v Italy rugby game on 7th March be in jeopardy. Who gets to call that off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

saabsaab wrote: »
    If this got a hold in Dublin is there a plan to move Government away from danger out to a safer place? Many of our officials and representatives are over 50 and aren't from Dublin anyway.

Down to Saoirse McHugh’s gaff.

Wakka did say Open 70 hospitals. Not build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Situation so serious President of France announcing contingency measures.
    One EU state Austria virtually closing borders to another Italy which has shutdown public events in one of its regions.

Meanwhile in Ireland it is Sunday.

To be fair it could spread quicker on mainland Europe .
    Ireland probably hoping to escape been an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

TomSweeney wrote: »
    How long will schools in Milan be shut for ?
    same for travel restrictions ? we talking weeks or months here ?

They're being told it's for the week, but could continue longer than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wakka did say Open 70 hospitals. Not build.

Even still it would be interesting for a country to have 70 hospitals closed and ready to open for an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

fr336 wrote: »
    Saw a Twitter comment saying why no cases in India and someone said the virus can't transmit in temperatures over 24 degrees - wishful thinking?

Should probably flick the thermostat up a bit so.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, would the Ireland v Italy rugby game on 7th March be in jeopardy. Who gets to call that off ?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ZX7R wrote: »
    65 people have been tested in Ireland since January according to the hse,
    it was on the news during the week,all negative but still shows it was a worry for them .

Wonder who the 65 were and why they were chosen for testing.

Methinks there is some kind of cover up or mitigation going on all over now.

What government would they move!

I think Mickey D needs to declare martial law and assume command...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Losing some of them would be a positive

Even still it would be interesting for a country to have 70 hospitals closed and ready to open for an emergency.

Yeah my first thought was opening 70 make shift hospitals of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

BanditLuke wrote: »

I know you are joking but they are people too and are needed to take democratic decisions to fight this.

ZX7R wrote: »
    To be fair it could spread quicker on mainland Europe .
    Ireland probably hoping to escape been an island.

Unfortunately hope seems to be the basis of our policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

BanditLuke wrote: »

We don't know yet who will form a Government now, the last set up is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Unfortunately hope seems to be the basis of our policy...
    with the advent of aeroplane and boats we are no longer an isolated island

Where’s the poster called Martina? She seems to have the inside scoop and her silence is worrying me.

Add to that The Dazzler said he was concerned now aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where’s the poster called Martina? She seems to have the inside scoop and her silence is worrying me.

Add to that The Dazzler said he was concerned now aswell.

Did he? That sounds unlikely, pretty sure he said that it was still not worth the hysterics just yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement