Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Titclamp wrote: »
    They already had cancer.
    Cancer gives you a compromised immune system. I should know as I have cancer and I know that if I get Covid19 I could be screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How many Italian fans tend to travel? They should stop those flights coming over as far as I am concerned. I live 10min walk from the Stadium, cant say im thrilled at the idea of a concentration like that even if logically the sum total of other travel maybe a greater risk.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Seamai wrote: »

Have to click through a few pages on the dfa website

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

They haven’t listed the affected areas but say to consult your travel or accommodation provider to find out if it is an affected area. If you are in Italy, dial 1500 (is that like 999?)

Found it
    1500: Call centre for health emergencies managed by the Department of Health which gives information to the population in case of health emergencies, notably information about SARS, flu syndromes, bioterrorist threat or information about the risk of excessively warm weather. The service is active only in some periods of the year.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Cancer gives you a compromised immune system. I should know as I have cancer and I know that if I get Covid19 I could be screwed.

Try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Thought this was cool. Can't see this level of calmness when it reaches here unfortunately though sadly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-51609712/coronavirus-drone-captures-massive-queue-for-masks-in-south-korea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

silverharp wrote: »
    How many Italian fans tend to travel? They should stop those flights coming over as far as I am concerned. I live 10min walk from the Stadium, cant say im thrilled at the idea of a concentration like that even if logically the sum total of other travel maybe a greater risk.

Ridiculous if that goes ahead. We need to start getting real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

5th death in Italy, the list so far

60 yo man
    88 yo man
    68 yo woman
    77 yo woman
    78 yo man

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

givyjoe wrote: »
    That was a medical professional, not a newspaper reporter, professor of Tropical Medicine at Beaumont.

I'd more inclined to take posters who are downplaying this with a pinch of salt. All I've seen so far is an alarming level of head in the sand thinking "be grand.. not that bad.. nothing to worry about.. etc." Its a very real problem regardless of exact numbers, medical supplies are limited and this virus has the potential to cause cases exceeding our supply of respiratory equipment. The health system is ALREADY creaking at the seams.

1 million infected with 20% requiring critical care - that’s 200,000 needing icu level care. We have less than 300 ICU beds in this country. We really don’t need to go to exaggerated ‘worst case scenario’ levels to overwhelm our health services. If it ever got to anywhere near that level, we’re in a field hospital/triage scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

silverharp wrote: »

Theres 2 weeks till the next matches, i dont think we will see them played and they will get postponed till later in the year, probably autumn similar to what happened the year of foot and mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Seamai wrote: »
    I see the government here is advising against people travelling to those parts of Italy affected, short of cancelling flights I can't see too many people changing their plans. We'll have several thousand Italian over here the weekend after next for the 6 Nations match, most of them from Northern Italy where the game is more popular. Issuing travel advice is pointless unless it's heeded.

Great to see they're back in work today. This should have been the advice given late last Friday evening or early Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Candamir wrote: »
    1 million infected with 20% requiring critical care - that’s 200,000 needing icu level care. We have less than 300 ICU beds in this country. We really don’t need to go to exaggerated ‘worst case scenario’ levels to overwhelm our health services. If it ever got to anywhere near that level, we’re in a field hospital/triage scenario.

So you agree with me then, good to know.

So you agree with me then, good to know.

I agree that it’s a serious disease. I think some of the conclusions being drawn from the very early and incomplete numbers are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

giphy.gif

How many of us will still be here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I agree that it’s a serious disease. I think some of the conclusions being drawn from the very early and incomplete numbers are rubbish.

And how you come to this conclusion? Have you any stats to counter whatever it is you believe to be rubbish?

Are Italy testing everyone in an area or just those with symptoms?

And how you come to this conclusion? Have you any stats to counter whatever it is you believe to be rubbish?

Ffs. Like any algorithm. Rubbish in, rubbish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Are Italy testing everyone in an area or just those with symptoms?

Testing people with symptoms and people who were exposed to potential spreaders

Ffs. Like any algorithm. Rubbish in, rubbish out.

If that's the quality of post you can come up with in response, take a break. In the last hour you've literally offered nothing constructive. You cant even bother to check basic facts, reporters making up figures to sell papers you said?

What exactly is rubbish about the actual live numbers of actual confirmed cases?! Bizarre ramblings. You were waffling on repeating my post referring to the 'worst case scenario' numbers being way off, only to acknowledge that it would only take a fraction of such numbers to overwhelm our ICU beds capacity.

Again, referring to the official numbers ~20% are critical. Again, referring to my earlier post, in February last year of 2083 cases of flu, only 5% were critical. I've no desire to get involved with stats back and forward, but if you're going to dismiss them, you're going to need to back it up with something other than "rubbish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

imfml wrote: »
    Great to see they're back in work today. This should have been the advice given late last Friday evening or early Saturday.

Don’t be silly it was the weekend it not like we have a emerging pandemic or something.

Oh wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

If that's the quality of post you can come up with in response, take a break. In the last hour you've literally offered nothing constructive. You cant even bother to check basic facts, reporters making up figures to sell papers you said?

What exactly is rubbish about the actual live numbers of actual confirmed cases?! Bizarre ramblings. You were waffling on repeating my post referring to the 'worst case scenario' numbers being way off, only to acknowledge that it would only take a fraction of such numbers to overwhelm our ICU beds capacity.

Again, referring to the official numbers ~20% are critical. Again, referring to my earlier post, in February last year of 2083 cases of flu, only 5% were critical. I've no desire to get involved with stats back and forward, but if you're going to dismiss them, you're going to need to back it up with something other than "rubbish".

Chances are, that 20% figure in meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Could be some positives if gets bad here.

Might help with obesity & encourage people to live a better lifestyle.

Ok. Let me try again for the folks at the back.

You can’t draw meaningful conclusions from incomplete data sets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Think I posted this in the wrong thread. Hope it’s ok to put it here

Just joined to post this.

Couple of days Back from two weeks in Cambodia. Oh boy. Aside from the three airports I passed through there and back being full of Asians and others wearing the pointless masks, there wasn’t any kind of screening except one.
    On the way home in phnom phenm airport, it seems certain international airlines were forcing people to get tested at check in. Not sure what the procedure was but it only looked like a temperature check tbh. Dublin being my final destination I wasn’t tested.

As to the rest of it Asia is pretty much the same wherever you go. I was in Koh Rong, a small very basic island off the coast, nearest port town Sihanoukville. Yes that Sihanoukville. More about that in a minute.
    Third world country with third world facilities if you could call them that.
    Bum guns alone are going to see this spread far and wide and fast. Unless you only use your own toilet exclusively in your room and wash the bejesus out of your hands, it’s the only option in every bar restaurant cafe etc. and how many have used it that day before you?
    Three planes over and three back and again half the plane wearing the pointless masks and half not.

Cambodian govt have taken what’s best described as a devil may care attitude to it all and I believe there’s another infected ship in Sihanoukville with passengers quarantined on board. They’ve also allowed cargo off the ship it seems.
    Some Irish onboard too I heard. Had to spend five hours in that town to wait for a bus to get to Phnom Penh.

Not knowing what to do I emailed Dublin airport before my flight explaining where I was and should I present upon arrival. In fairness they responded pretty quickly and asked me for my phone and email address. Then came back to me with a HSE number to call which I duly had to ring when I got home as a family member had been rushed to hospital while I was in the air and we were all called to the hospital.

Called the number and explained where I ld been what airports and was i ok to go to the hospital and visit as it’s urgent. They said don’t but if I have to wear a mask and make nurses aware before I go in. I didn’t end up going as it’s a respiratory issue she has. They took my details on the phone also and told me to try self isolate if possible and call immediately if I have any symptoms or begin to feel unwell. Nothing so far but had a bad cough going over anyways which has abated somewhat. (Smoker) it’s only been four days home though.

Based on what I saw over there and just how busy those airports are, I’d say there’s untold numbers infected and not showing symptoms yet.
    Some of the panic button pushers online are a bit much and I don’t mean to do that but wouldn’t do any harm to stock up on essentials and take all the precautions re cleaning and food prep etc. we all know there’s absolutely no way our health service is up to dealing with even a few cases of this and our too laid back sure it won’t get here attitude could be our undoing in a huge way. We’d want to start testing arrivals from abroad immediately I reckon.

Anyways thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MD1990 wrote: »

And wash their hands after they take a piss.

Runaways wrote: »
    Think I posted this in the wrong thread. Hope it’s ok to put it here

Just joined to post this.

Couple of days Back from two weeks in Cambodia. Oh boy. Aside from the three airports I passed through there and back being full of Asians and others wearing the pointless masks, there wasn’t any kind of screening except one.
    On the way home in phnom phenm airport, it seems certain international airlines were forcing people to get tested at check in. Not sure what the procedure was but it only looked like a temperature check tbh. Dublin being my final destination I wasn’t tested.

As to the rest of it Asia is pretty much the same wherever you go. I was in Koh Rong, a small very basic island off the coast, nearest port town Sihanoukville. Yes that Sihanoukville. More about that in a minute.
    Third world country with third world facilities if you could call them that.
    Bum guns alone are going to see this spread far and wide and fast. Unless you only use your own toilet exclusively in your room and wash the bejesus out of your hands, it’s the only option in every bar restaurant cafe etc. and how many have used it that day before you?
    Three planes over and three back and again half the plane wearing the pointless masks and half not.

Cambodian govt have taken what’s best described as a devil may care attitude to it all and I believe there’s another infected ship in Sihanoukville with passengers quarantined on board. They’ve also allowed cargo off the ship it seems.
    Some Irish onboard too I heard. Had to spend five hours in that town to wait for a bus to get to Phnom Penh.

Not knowing what to do I emailed Dublin airport before my flight explaining where I was and should I present upon arrival. In fairness they responded pretty quickly and asked me for my phone and email address. Then came back to me with a HSE number to call which I duly had to ring when I got home as a family member had been rushed to hospital while I was in the air and we were all called to the hospital.

Called the number and explained where I ld been what airports and was i ok to go to the hospital and visit as it’s urgent. They said don’t but if I have to wear a mask and make nurses aware before I go in. I didn’t end up going as it’s a respiratory issue she has. They took my details on the phone also and told me to try self isolate if possible and call immediately if I have any symptoms or begin to feel unwell. Nothing so far but had a bad cough going over anyways which has abated somewhat. (Smoker) it’s only been four days home though.

Based on what I saw over there and just how busy those airports are, I’d say there’s untold numbers infected and not showing symptoms yet.
    Some of the panic button pushers online are a bit much and I don’t mean to do that but wouldn’t do any harm to stock up on essentials and take all the precautions re cleaning and food prep etc. we all know there’s absolutely no way our health service is up to dealing with even a few cases of this and our too laid back sure it won’t get here attitude could be our undoing in a huge way. We’d want to start testing arrivals from abroad immediately I reckon.

Anyways thats all.

Have you voluntarily gone into isolation for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MD1990 wrote: »

We could probably afford to return the pension age to 65 too.

Ok. Let me try again for the folks at the back.

You can’t draw meaningful conclusions from incomplete data sets.

But you can dismiss them with non existent data?! Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Have you voluntarily gone into isolation for a few weeks?

Believe it or not I have as I’m just finished in a job and took the holiday so I don’t have to be anywhere right now anyway except on the phone looking for a new job. Am kind of curious should I call them and have them come out n all that n see what the test process is and how rigorous

Also afraid in case I test positive. It would be my luck.

• Advertisement

But you can dismiss them with non existent data?! Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You can dismiss them without a complete data set.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement