Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Any news where the flight is from, its not ryanair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223732103034101761

also, Number of people in serious/critical condition in Hubei province rises to 1,562, up from 1,294 yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

fritzelly wrote: »
    Any news where the flight is from, its not ryanair

Seeing Aeroflot mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anthrax
    Thirty Seconds to SARS
    The Coronas...

*Just added*

The Vaccines
    Placebo
    The Cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Looks like an Aeroflot flight from Moscow. You can see the orange and blue on engine cowling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

God, no offense to China, but their propraganda is hilariously obvious

https://twitter.com/i/status/1223646064579956740

I mean, did you see the cops try and catch him? :P

As a sidenote, more than 600,000 people are going to die of cancer in the united states this year. I hate to do whataboutery, but it does kind of highlight the oddness of this.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Cool. I look forwarding to reading your peer reviewed paper explaining how seasonal flu, with a mortality rate of <0.01% and R0 of 1.3 is more dangerous than 2019-nCoV which has a higher R0 and a mortality rate which is 2000 times greater.

I am not upon figures to be honest but looking at the figures from a few days ago 17% of confirmed cases were very ill with 3% fatal. But these figures are based on the fact that the number of confirmed cases are based on actual cases. So that % is to be diluted.

In other words people who only have minor symptoms and thus did not seek care - would not be included in the overall numbers so the %s are actually smaller.

So as for the seasonal flu? I do not know the global numbers but in the US for example there has been 8200 deaths _this season alone_, And for some reason this number does not seem to be resulting in any public outbreak of fear :) It is not even making people get vaccinated. Golly :)

Seeing Aeroflot mentioned

So everyone saying we're insulated since we have no flights from China... If its true

Don't know if it's true.

Not seeing anything reported as of yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People collapse all the time in public, heart attack and stroke is pretty damn common. But because of the virus fears, people probably wont go to help them up or touch them because they think theyll catch corona. I really doubt anyone is collapsing from the virus, symptoms develop gradually, youll be in a hospital a while before you die.

Anyway, 2000 new cases confirmed today and 45 more deaths, seems to be the average figures occurring daily for the last couple of days straight now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

As a sidenote, more than 600,000 people are going to die of cancer in the united states this year. I hate to do whataboutery, but it does kind of highlight the oddness of this.

I was thinking the same but with the usual flu.

8200 deaths in the U.S 2019.

fritzelly wrote: »
    So everyone saying we're insulated since we have no flights from China... If its true

Who said that?

Don't know if it's true.

Not seeing anything reported as of yet...

Pic on Twitter with advice note handed to them.

https://twitter.com/schamel12/status/1223737231006978048?s=21

They seem to have confirmed suspicion anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

wakka12 wrote: »
    People collapse all the time in public, heart attack and stroke is pretty damn common. But because of the virus fears, people probably wont go to help them up or touch them because they think theyll catch corona. I really doubt anyone is collapsing from the virus, symptoms develop gradually, youll be in a hospital a while before you die.

Anyway, 2000 new cases confirmed today and 45 more deaths, seems to be the average figures occurring daily for the last couple of days straight now.

Those are only the Hubei numbers, they've been around 1,200-1,300 the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

With a bit of luck this wipes out 50-75% of the earths population and we get back to basics. Modern lifestyle/society is a pain in the bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I am not upon figures to be honest but looking at the figures from a few days ago 17% of confirmed cases were very ill with 3% fatal. But these figures are based on the fact that the number of confirmed cases are based on actual cases. So that % is to be diluted.

In other words people who only have minor symptoms and thus did not seek care - would not be included in the overall numbers so the %s are actually smaller.

So as for the seasonal flu? I do not know the global numbers but in the US for example there has been 8200 deaths _this season alone_, And for some reason this number does not seem to be resulting in any public outbreak of fear :) It is not even making people get vaccinated. Golly :)

What size population has the USA compared to one Chinese city though? You aren’t comparing like with like. You need to adjust your figures in order to compare them.

We don’t know how this will play out yet. We’ll get a better idea from how it spreads and kills in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

whiskeyman wrote: »
    *Just added*

The Vaccines
    Placebo
    The Cure

Plus special guests:

The WHO
    Massive Attack
    Weezer

Nothing on any media outlet.

Monkeynut wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but with the usual flu.

8200 deaths in the U.S 2019.

Thats over the course of about 2-3 months in a country of over 300 million

This is 300 deaths in a city of 9 million in 3 weeks, with 2 thousand hospitalised in a serious condition. As far as can be confirmed, obviously much is unclear, it appears considerably more dangerous than seasonal flu.

As for the cancer comparison, I dont get it. Cancer is not transmittable, covers a vast number of diseases, many of which have modifiable risk factors, theres no cure in a large number of cases. Also there is great public fear and awareness of the dangers of cancer.Its not like nobody talks about it. But because of it's generally high mortality rate and it often being luck of the draw whether your contract it it has just become a sad fact of life we as a society have come to cope with. So what is the point of the comparison? I can understand the comparison to seasonal flu at least because its also a communicable disease except nobody really cares about it

• Advertisement

Nothing on any media outlet.

I think the one who tweeted was on the flight.

Edit: nope she wasn’t on flight but was given the notice by someone who was.

With a bit of luck this wipes out 50-75% of the earths population and we get back to basics. Modern lifestyle/society is a pain in the bollocks.

You want people to die? What if you die as part of that 75%?
    There are many locations in the world were you could live a more simple life if that’s what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shame the date is wrong on the info leaflet...

Passenger taken from Aeroflot flight at Dublin is reportedly Chinese displaying flu symptoms and from worst affected region of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

FYP
    With a bit of luck this wipes me out, life is a pain in the bollocks.

Haha so it is

Hmmm I still have to think about writing 2020...

This is 300 deaths in a city of 9 million in 3 weeks, with 2 thousand hospitalised in a serious condition. As far as can be confirmed, obviously much is unclear, it appears considerably more dangerous than seasonal flu.

As for the cancer comparison, I dont get it. Cancer is not transmittable, covers a vast number of diseases, many of which have modifiable risk factors, theres no cure in a large number of cases. Also there is great public fear and awareness of the dangers of cancer.Its not like nobody talks about it. But because of it's generally high mortality rate and it often being luck of the draw whether your contract it it has just become a sad fact of life we as a society have come to cope with. So what is the point of the comparison? I can understand the comparison to seasonal flu at least because its also a communicable disease except nobody really cares about it

Just comparing numbers tbh and I picked something that isn't in anyway contagious to highlight how the numbers we are seeing are not that big as of this moment.

I kind of wonder why every post is why the virus is so bad? I mean, we should all be careful and have our wits about us, but until the virus mutates we should be realistic here.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    You need to adjust your figures in order to compare them.

You are so right!

What are the seasonal flu death figures in their population?

Passenger taken from Aeroflot flight at Dublin is reportedly Chinese displaying flu symptoms and from worst affected region of China.

Reported by who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What are you, a love child between the Unabomber and Thanos ?

Just comparing numbers tbh and I picked something that isn't in anyway contagious to highlight how the numbers we are seeing are not that big as of this moment.

I kind of wonder why every post is why the virus is so bad? I mean, we should all be careful and have our wits about us, but until the virus mutates we should be realistic here.

Fair enough. But I dont get why the numbers of cancer,flu etc are compared to this. Its not a comparable situation, usually those numbers used in arguments are about well-established and understood diseases and across entire year spans and in huge countries or even the entire world, this is just one city and it's only been 3 weeks to the day since the very first victim has died of it

Reported by who?

I don't know :(

I don't know :(

I see, very interesting turn of events.

Agreed with most and i really can't back up any of what i say. But would U.S. medical care be better or worse?

If better, the rates for seasonal flu would be lower.

So if corona virus was as widespread as China in the U.S. Would the rates be nearly the same less or more. Who knows.

Maybe a stat from china for seasonal flu would be better. for comparing.

Agreed with most and i really can't back up any of what i say. But would U.S. medical care be better or worse?

If better, the rates for seasonal flu would be lower.

Maybe a stat from china for seasonal flu would be better. for comparing.

The stats about influenza are a bit of a joke tbh :P

Some people on twitter querying why the passengers on the Aeroflot flight have not been temporarily quarantined.

Fair point.

The stats about influenza are a bit of a joke tbh :P

Yeah looking around i have to agree. I'm searching google "using google custom search as everything is coronavirus in top search no matter what you write when you include flu or china".

I'm lost.
    Some people on twitter querying why the passengers on the Aeroflot flight have not been temporarily quarantined.

Fair point.

Give us a shout if anythings wrong. BTW a doctor will immediately see you tomorrow..

Was that on the message?

• Advertisement

Give us a shout if anythings wrong. BTW a doctor will immediately see you tomorrow..

Was that on the message?

Pretty much.

Seems a bit feckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Fair point.

Sure it'll be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

That seems intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fair point.

Well they were told not to interact with the public tonight.

So presumably they're all walking to some isolated location for the night, no taxis, buses, relations picking them up, no hugs for family and friends, no stopping in the take away to get food on the way home, no chatting to staff in the hotel if theyre on holiday. Nothing at all normal will be happening I'm sure.

It's just laughable. So much for having a protocol in place.

If that flight landed in Australia, the UK or the US the passengers would have been quarantined.

Here they just go home with a piece of paper an hour after arriving!

If you’re on Facebook- go to page called Laura’s Russian Lifeline.

She is who took the photos and as of 45 minutes ago was still on the plane. I think it landed just after 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭PhantomHat

If that flight landed in Australia, the UK or the US the passengers would have been quarantined.

Yep it's all very Irish. Fingers crossed everyone is ok

If you’re on Facebook- go to page called Laura’s Russian Lifeline.

She is who took the photos and as of 45 minutes ago was still on the plane. I think it landed just after 9pm.

Well if they're still on the flight maybe they are considering quarantine?

I can't imagine simply letting them go on their way is the WHO playbook for flights with suspected cases!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Maybe the paper be used as some kind of mask :0

NINTCHDBPICT000559316664.jpg?w=670

It's really odd how for the last few days now the number of deaths in China have been almost the exact same as the number discharged from hospital? Literally almost the same number, today 45 deaths, 49 discharges

This time last night : 259 Deaths and 243 Recovered
    Tonight: Total deaths , 304, total discharges/recoveries, 303

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement