Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

China is currently amputating the core of it's country, quarantining whole cities in the forlorn hope they can protect Shanghai and Beijing.

The world has not been told the truth as to the nature/scale of the problem and how it came in to being.

This is why China is, in effect, in the process of being sealed off from the world.

I feel something extremely serious has happened here.

Does anyone seriously believe this is mere coincidence and that it's actually people eating bats that are the source?

b2aa949f-b019-4f19-85ac-bae32fb61c0d-1.jpg

Your right I think something fishy is going on the number of daily deaths etc are we supposed to believe their all elderly sick people with underlying diseases?

“Travel restrictions can cause more harm than good by hindering info-sharing, medical supply chains and harming economies,”

The WHO recommends introducing screening at official border crossings. It has warned that closing borders could accelerate the spread of the virus, with travellers entering countries unofficially.

China has criticised the wave of travel restrictions, accusing foreign governments of ignoring official advice.

“Just as the WHO recommended against travel restrictions, the US rushed in the opposite direction,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said. “[It is] certainly not a gesture of goodwill.”
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51338899

The WHO were asleep at the wheel and should have called for border closures weeks ago. If you want to really be a serious about stopping the spread of a pandemic the you need to recommend halting things that attract large crowds, gigs etc. Anyway they make it sound like the hundreds of thousands of air passengers (49,000 a week to Australia from China at this time of year alone) is ok because otherwise it stops "information sharing" .....as if they are all medical experts going to a conference on the virus.....!!!

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    14 days is the longest possible incubation period for the virus. It’s not how long it takes to kill/recover.

I’d imagine each recovery or kill time period is down to each individuals reaction to it.

I saw a distribution of this and the 14 day Mark was the 95% there were outliers out to 21 days. Saw it on Twitter, if I find it again I'll post it. Bear in mind I don't remember if it was a good source i.e a medical or researcher or some random person.

Update: found it. https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1222685857372459008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

There are 22,000 hospitals in China probably each able to hold a thousand or more and the fact that they ordered 3 new ones to be built rapidly should tell its own story.

I fear the real numbers here of people infected etc must be off the charts or at least heading that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's really funny how anyone on this site who believes climate change is a threat to our collective future is dismissed as an alarmist chicken licken. Then when this disease comes along, a lot of the same posters are flooding the place with evidence free speculation that it's a biological weapon and the end is nigh.

The sky is falling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's really funny how anyone on this site who believes constantly change it's a threat to our collective future is dismissed as an alarmist chicken licken. Then when this disease comes along, a lot of the same posters are flooding the place with evidence free speculation that it's a biological weapon and the end is nigh.

The sky is falling...

Believe it's people that eat bats - courtesy of the Chinese Communist Party if you wish.

And just believe the Wuhan Virology lab is not part of China bio weapons program.

All coincidence.

The reaction of the Chinese government tells it's own story.

They are in a war to save Beijing and Shanghai.

Well let's hope most people get antibodies that last and it gets contained or we're all getting it at some point.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3048320/china-coronavirus-deadly-day-hubei-record-high-42-patients-die?MCUID=4672f7018e&MCCampaignID=68493a0d51&MCAccountID=3775521f5f542047246d9c827&tc=5

Zhan Qingyuan, head of infectious diseases at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, said in a press briefing on Friday that people who had already had the virus would have developed antibodies but should remain on alert so they did not get ill again.
    “The antibodies may not remain for a long time, so there is still a risk that these recovered patients will be infected again,” Zhan said. “They should continue to keep themselves protected.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Cases found in China of the H1N5 bird flu also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

wakka12 wrote: »
    First death outside China has occurred. A 44 year old man in the Philippines. He was the boyfriend of an infected woman who passed the virus to him. No info as yet but given his relatively young age he probably has some kind of existing health condition

I read that he also had the flu and strep. Poor guy, he must have been hammered by all those at once.

• Advertisement

With a bit of luck this wipes out 50-75% of the earths population and we get back to basics. Modern lifestyle/society is a pain in the bollocks.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

There are 22,000 hospitals in China probably each able to hold a thousand or more and the fact that they ordered 3 new ones to be built rapidly should tell its own story.

I fear the real numbers here of people infected etc must be off the charts or at least heading that way.

There are still lots of sick people who dont have this illness who need to be cared for. I can see why they would want dedicated facilities just for this

Since midnight
    03:48: 1 new case in India. (Source)
    02:37: 1 new case, a fatality, in the Philippines. This is the first death outside China. (Source)
    00:55: 3 new cases in South Korea. (Source)
    00:32: 71 new cases in Henan province, China. (Source)
    00:29: 9 new cases in Guizhou province, China. (Source)
    00:02: 8 new cases in Hebei province, China. (Source)
    00:00: 11 new cases in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China. (Source)

The number of cases is likely to skyrocket. Five million people left Wuhan after him.

Shows how contagious it is.

The new "hospitals" are less places of miracle healing and more "concentration camps" i'd imagine.

Already sick while travelling, got on a plane with others whole highly contagious. Looked like he was getting better then took a turn for the worst and died in under 24 hours

https://amp.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/feb/02/coronavirus-deaths-hong-kong-health-workers-to-strike-china-border-

The fatality is a 44-year-old Chinese man from the city of Wuhan, where the virus was first detected. He died in a hospital in Manila, and appears to have been infected before his arrival in the Philippines.

The Philippine Department of Health said the man was admitted to hospital on 25 January after experiencing a fever, cough, and sore throat. He developed severe pneumonia, but in the last few days, “the patient was stable and showed signs of improvement”, it said. However, his condition then deteriorated and he died within 24 hours.

China is not telling the world the truth about what happened and the current situation.

The US knows this hence they are taking decisive action now to protect themselves.

No one trusts the official Chinese government position or their numbers.

China is not telling the world the truth about what happened and the current situation.

The US knows this hence they are taking decisive action now to protect themselves.

No one trusts the official Chinese government position or their numbers.

What would them saying "We think there must be like 100,000 infected by now but not in hospitals. Shlt's crazy." achieve?

Is panic better that what we have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This has all the hallmarks of the Spanish Flu of 1917-18. A virulent disease which triggered a cytokine storm in the otherwise healthy, essentially turning the body's immune system upon itself.

Been up all night looking for anything online to provide reassurance. There's not much.

Spanish Flu killed 3-5% of the world's population, somewhere between 10-20% mortality.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    This has all the hallmarks of the Spanish Flu of 1917-18. A virulent disease which triggered a cytokine storm in the otherwise healthy, essentially turning the body's immune system upon itself.

Been up all night looking for anything online to provide reassurance. There's not much.

Spanish Flu killed 3-5% of the world's population, somewhere between 10-20% mortality.

Haven't seen anything to suggest it causes cytokine storms (and therefore impact young healthy ppl more). It looks like it hits older people more especially those with existing ailments. Early days yet and more info from experience outside china will help.

Death rate is really up in the air too. Unlikely to be any worse than SARS and no less than the flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But the mortality rate for the coronavirus is not anywhere close to that and there is no ongoing world war.

I hope this information provides the reassurance you have been seeking all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think Xi is looking shaky from an internal CCP politics point of view now. Plenty of open criticism not just of the Wuhan authorities but of the CCP response generally on Chinese social media.

What would them saying "We think there must be like 100,000 infected by now but not in hospitals. Shlt's crazy." achieve?

Not saying they should.

They should clean about the origin.

Not saying they should.

They should clean about the origin.

What would them saying "We think this is an escaped bio-weapon from a lab. Shlt's crazy." achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Has any credible scientist backed the bio weapon theory?

All the evidence so far points to those who are elderly or in poor health being the most vulnerable, so it is not like the Spanish flu. The youngest confirmed death so far is a 35 year old who also had HIV so was not fully healthy.

I found this thread on reddit somewhat reassuring.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/exe552/coronavirus_faq_misconceptions_information_from_a/

What would them saying "We think this is an escaped bio-weapon from a lab. Shlt's crazy." achieve?

It would help the world trust them.

China is fighting a war to save it's two main cities, think about that. That's where they are now.

The situation is far more serious than the authorities are saying hence the quarantines of major, major cities.

As I said this is a country amputating itself.

It's incredibly serious.

Bat soup? Really!? Nothing to do with the virology lab that just happens to exist across the river from the seafood market this supposedly originated from?

Posters will say i'm being "tin foil hat" and fair enough but I genuinely believe something incredibly serious has happened and that explains the CCPs lightning quick and draconian response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Maybe the hundreds of people who were on the plane in Dublin would have been quarantined in an airport hotel instead of being sent on their merry way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Seeing videos now of the army patrolling streets with automatic weapons.

Heard one report of 112,000 dead! - I dont believe it, but can you imagine?

One interesting thing I did find waas that there is 55,000 hospital beds in those two cities - If that is true, then I am in full agreement of the very worst possible scenarios - we have seen the state and strain the hospitals are in - thats not even a question now - but if they declare even 5000 infected, thats only 10% of available capacity (I understand hospitals dont stay empty up until an outbreak) but its very worrying if true.

ardinn wrote: »

Immediate cremations, no burials now. Order of the Chinese government.

We are not being told the truth.

China itself is in the process of being quarantined by the rest of the world for that reason. No one believes them.

It would help the world trust them.

China is fighting a war to save it's two main cities, think about that. That's where they are now.

The situation is far more serious than the authorities are saying hence the quarantines of major, major cities.

As I said this is a country amputating itself.

It's incredibly serious.

Bat soup? Really!? Nothing to do with the virology lab that just happens to exist across the river from the seafood market this supposedly originated from?

Posters will say i'm being "tin foil hat" and fair enough but I genuinely believe something incredibly serious has happened and that explains the CCPs lightning quick and draconian response.

So the only way China can gain your trust is by admitting to a conspiracy theory that a biological weapon has been unleashed on its population by mistake?

Bat soup? Really!? Yes Kermit. Viruses have been around longer than labs. The world is covered in those labs but you're only thinking it's the lab in this case because it's China.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    Maybe the hundreds of people who were on the plane in Dublin would have been quarantined in an airport hotel instead of being sent on their merry way..

Yeah, that's why China doesn't just say shlt's wild and there are millions of infected just so people will stop doubting them. It would cause global panic and mayhem.
    Seeing videos now of the army patrolling streets with automatic weapons.

So you don't believe it but post it anyway?
    One interesting thing I did find waas that there is 55,000 hospital beds in those two cities - If that is true, then I am in full agreement of the very worst possible scenarios - we have seen the state and strain the hospitals are in - thats not even a question now - but if they declare even 5000 infected, thats only 10% of available capacity (I understand hospitals dont stay empty up until an outbreak) but its very worrying if true.

So you understand it and then just totally ignore it?
    Immediate cremations, no burials now. Order of the Chinese government.

We are not being told the truth.

China itself is in the process of being quarantined by the rest of the world for that reason. No one believes them.

No one believes what? Are China saying that it is not real and is not spreading to other countries? Is that what other countries are refusing to believe?

No one believes what? Are China saying that it is not real and is not spreading to other countries? Is that what other countries are refusing to believe?

The United States knows exactly where this virus came from.

It came from the bio weapons lab in Wuhan. It's a biological weapon accidentally released on the population.

I 150% stand by that and believe it is only a matter of time before the CCP admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

tuxy wrote: »
    Has any credible scientist backed the bio weapon theory?

I'm just stuck on that report from that lab in India on the genetic makeup containing bits of code from other viruses. No group seems to have come forward yet to back it up and say the same.

Even if the bio lab was true, there is is no way anybody is going to admit it, there's no gain in telling the truth. There would be riots on the street. It's better to blame it on the miniscule minority that eat things like bat soup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The United States knows exactly where this virus came from.

It came from the bio weapons lab in Wuhan. It's a biological weapon accidentally released on the population.

I 150% stand by that and believe it is only a matter of time before the CCP admit it.

It will be worth revisiting this thread in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

A flight last night from Moscow off Aeroflot (my company deals with that airline) had an incident of a passenger showing symptoms of the virus, with medics in hazmat suits going on board. :o

Was doing the morning shift yesterday, so I wasn't present there. Passengers left for 2 hours on the plane no doubt in panic mode.

Ipso wrote: »
    It will be worth revisiting this thread in a dew months.

Posted already. They know

https://twitter.com/DarrenPlymouth/status/1223714224167358465

He literally says the US still doesn't know where it originated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They didn’t need to have contact with the market, just with people that did.
    Like I said, it will be interesting after a while. Also predictable in that conspiracy theorists will never admit to being wrong, they will just double down and make it part of the proof it’s real. Has George Soros being put forward as owner of the lab yet?

• Advertisement

It could well be true. It is plausible, and some day we may find out that's what happened.

I suspect that the Australians who grew the virus would have an idea and would say something. Though I haven't looked into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BeerWolf wrote: »
    A flight last night from Moscow off Aeroflot (my company deals with that airline) had an incident of a passenger showing symptoms of the virus, with medics in hazmat suits going on board. :o

Was doing the morning shift yesterday, so I wasn't present there. Passengers left for 2 hours on the plane no doubt in panic mode.

They were all let home / to their connections with an explanatory leaflet, patient in the Mater isolation ward.
    If the case tests positive it will be another example of moronic (but typical) Irish under reaction.

Mainstream news ignoring it. RTÉ has main headline about the virus and updated 3.30am but not a word about it. Censorship.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5053254/coronavirus-ireland-dublin-airport-scare-medics-plane/

He literally says the US still doesn't know where it originated.

That's what he says in public.

They are not going to swallow the CCP's bat soup.

He also points out the existence of the lab across the river in Wuhan the CIA identified as the most advanced bio weapons facility in China.

The reason the response was so rapid and the quarantines were put in place by the Chinese authorities is because they knew what had happened and had no choice.

Like I said they are now involved in what is a war to defend Beijing and Shanghai.

That's what China is reduced to now. You telling me it's bat soup? You swallowing what the Communist Party says?

You telling me it's bat soup? You swallowing what the Communist Party says?

"swallowing what the Communist Party says".. A balanced unbiased argument does not end with accusing other posters of that, simply because they don't believe in an unproven theory.

It doesn't even really make sense that if he knew for sure, he'd go hinting at it in public. It can still spread to America and bio-weapon is going to cause more panic than bat soup. He's more likely to just be caught up in it all the same as you are.

Looking at his logic is pretty funny.

"This coronavirus is a catastrophe on the scale of Chernobyl for China. But actually, it's probably worse than Chernobyl, which was localized in its effect. The coronavirus could result in a global pandemic," he warned military officials and colleagues.
    "As I've said for a week: 'Do NOT travel to China. If you're in China, GET OUT. Contact our embassy or consulates if you need help," a 9:26 p.m. tweet stated.

"swallowing what the Communist Party says".. A balanced unbiased argument does not end with accusing other posters of that, simply because they don't believe in an unproven theory.

It doesn't even really make sense that if he knew for sure, he'd go hinting at it in public. It can still spread to America and bio-weapon is going to cause more panic than bat soup. He's more likely to just be caught up in it all the same as you are.

Looking at his logic is pretty funny.

"This coronavirus is a catastrophe on the scale of Chernobyl for China. But actually, it's probably worse than Chernobyl, which was localized in its effect. The coronavirus could result in a global pandemic," he warned military officials and colleagues.
    "As I've said for a week: 'Do NOT travel to China. If you're in China, GET OUT. Contact our embassy or consulates if you need help," a 9:26 p.m. tweet stated.

How is it funny?

Whilst this may be people eating bats as the source there is a very proper chance this is a weaponised virus.

Foreign individuals should of course get out of the cities west of Beijing and Shanghai.

But as I said China is fighting to protect those coastal cities - people will have to leave if they fall to the virus in the same way Wuhan has.

The situation is really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cant believe the passengers on the
    Moscow flight werent held until they confirm if the suspected person has bit or not, that leaflet they were handed is a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Whilst this may be people eating bats as the source there is a very proper chance this is a weaponised virus.

A weaponised virus, really!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    A weaponised virus, really!

Yes. Wuhan bio weapons lab is across the river from the supposed "origin".

Time to turn off Alex Jones Kermit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes. Wuhan bio weapons lab is across the river from the supposed "origin".

That's interesting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement