Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Yurt! wrote: »
    How about you hop on a plane and do some emigrating instead of wishing financial hardship on people?

I hear there's some English teaching openings in Wuhan that have come available.

If my loved ones weren't in Ireland I'd have been gone long ago. I was much happier living in Ireland years ago when I was on ****e money.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Lol, get a grip. if you think Ireland is crowded you've obviously never been anywhere that isnt Ireland.

Maybe hop on a train from Connolly after work and come back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If my loved ones weren't in Ireland I'd have been gone long ago. I was much happier living in Ireland years ago when I was on ****e money.

You're way off topic. Perhaps it's the personal issues forum you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

daheff wrote: »
    These rates are all well and good....but what % of general population end up getting infected (and ultimately what % of general population end up dead) from the virus. This Wuhan virus seems to be much more contagious than the others.... possibly even more so than seasonal flu??

It’s about the same as SARS. They are from the same family after all.

It’s about the same as SARS. They are from the same family after all.

The mortality rate of SARS was 1 in 10 I think I recall. This is a less deadly virus if figures are to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From what I'm reading the passengers were sent home and told to stay off work only if they show symptoms...I mean shouldn't they all be quarantined. It spreads before symptoms..zero faith in HSE

Like the one player who lets the whole team down :D

https://twitter.com/IsChinar/status/1224012099518529538

https://twitter.com/Postsubman/status/1224012244972920832

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Yurt! wrote: »
    The mortality rate of SARS was 1 in 10 I think I recall. This is a less deadly virus if figures are to be believed.

Yup. I’m talking about transmission though. Quite similar projected r0 figures.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Good website showing the status of infections etc.

It's only just under doubled since about 5 days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

But it's not though? SARS peaked at something like 9k infections.....Wuhan is 14k+ and counting.....or am I missing something??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

As I have said previously, I'm hoping for a recession. Need some emigration to empty out the country so its livable again.

Ooh, you’re So edgy. They must live you on reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There isnt certainty that it does spread before symptoms. It turns out that the woman who infected several colleagues in Germany was actually symptomatic and was taking fever reducing medicine at the time of her trip. Not sure why she would lie about that but it seems she did.

Having said that, I dont think you can trust people to self isolate even when they start showing symptoms. I imagine it's easy to convince yourself its just a cold and nothing to worry about and go about your normal life

Ipso wrote: »
    Ooh, you’re So edgy. They must live you on reddit.

???

I find it hard to believe there's any love in the life of a man who is disappointed people aren't dying fast enough to cause a recession to drive house prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Corona virus is not r0 though. More like r2.x

Other differences with Corona compared with SARS is that SARS was transmitted only person did show symptoms. This particular strain of the Corona virus is infectious to others during the patient incubation period prior to them having any symptoms.

I find it hard to believe there's any love in the life of a man who is disappointed people aren't dying fast enough to cause a recession to drive house prices down.

Huh?

Who said anything about people dying? I'm just hoping the impact is enough that it causes companies and countries to close borders meaning economic output will suffer.

Again, never mentioned anything about house prices. I said services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

From what I'm reading the passengers were sent home and told to stay off work only if they show symptoms...I mean shouldn't they all be quarantined. It spreads before symptoms..zero faith in HSE

If true that is crazy at this stage. I'd say we will get a positive case here within 7 days at this rate.

I hope I'm wrong.

hhhhmmmm .. RTE electing not to mention anything about the suspected patient taken off the plane from Moscow last night.

Huh?

Who said anything about people dying? I'm just hoping the impact is enough that it causes companies and countries to close borders meaning economic output will suffer.

Again, never mentioned anything about house prices. I said services.

Are you high? You're hoping for a pandemic in East-Asia to solve your quality of life problems. Put down the crack pipe Timmy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Worth remembering too that R0 is not an intrinsic quality of the virus itself, but is also influenced by external factors.

This virus has spread far more than SARS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

wakka12 wrote: »
    But people do sneeze and cough even if theyre not sick. Clearing your throat, nose irritation , hay fever. Also I'm sure all bodily liquid is infectious then , for example asymptomatic carriers sweating and using shared gym equipment are a danger then etc

Wait, sweat carries viruses? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

ongarite wrote: »

I'm in Singapore right now and you would hardly know this is a thing and this is a country at China's doorstep and massive transportation hub.

No it's not. Youve got about 3 countries to pass before getting to China. It must be over 1000 miles. You need to look at a map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What do you want them to prepare for though?

Is that you Simon Harris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Is that you Simon Harris?

Probably a troll

No it's not. Youve got about 3 countries to pass before getting to China. It must be over 1000 miles. You need to look at a map

As far as viruses go, it's arguably closer to China than Hanoi or Ulan Bator.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

We are too laid back as a country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ongarite wrote: »
    The media have people whipped into a frenzy. This is nothing but a strain of flu that no vaccine is available for yet unlike the regular flu shot available ever winter in Ireland. If you are an at risk person due to existing health issues then take some precautions if traveling near China.

I'm in Singapore right now and you would hardly know this is a thing and this is a country at China's doorstep and massive transportation hub.

This is different. Much more severe by all metrics. Dismiss it as being a hyped up "frenzy" at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm surprised Indonesia doesn't have more cases, they've visa free policy for Chinese passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I’m panicking and really considering buying canned foods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nice little graph here showing how it compares to other viruses

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

edit to remove image - it's not just an image but check the link above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

catrat12 wrote: »

Bought a 4 pack of beans today myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Graph is pointless without log scale

d257386588daf218ad3cfba9261fa2da.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No need to panic but just don't put too much faith in the clueless authorities to do much for you in the event that things go badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Was out at the shops just now and decided to have a look in B&Q.

All the shelves normally containing face masks, respirators, dust masks are completely empty; except for the most basic FFP1s which are essentially useless for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

This is exactly what we all need to do right now - panic and start stockpiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I cannot figure out the maths on this. So on 20th January , apparently there were 200 people confirmed with the virus in Wuhan , so less than .0001 % of the population. Yet at least 16 people flew out of Wuhan with the virus and contaminated other countries ? statistics are certainly not my strong point but I cannot figure out how the number leaving the country with the virus is so high?

I cannot figure out the maths on this. So on 20th January , apparently there were 200 people confirmed with the virus in Wuhan , so less than .0001 % of the population. Yet at least 16 people flew out of Wuhan with the virus and contaminated other countries ? statistics are certainly not my strong point but I cannot figure out how the number leaving the country with the virus is so high?

That's how some people conclude that the number of infections must be a lot higher than the official figures, mostly mild or asymptomatic cases.

From Friday to Saturday there were 3k infections. From yesterday to today there's only 200.

Looks like this will be finished soon.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a37c11ca95bf51ad374b264037e33617bc8d6938&rid=giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

From Friday to Saturday there were 3k infections. From yesterday to today there's only 200.
    Incorrecto:

F65bl5P.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And in 2018 a staggering 154 people died from flu in China, a country where they don't even bother getting a vaccine shot...believe their numbers all you want

Something...no test kits...something...people turned away from hospitals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

And this year's prize for complacency goes to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

china only release their daily figures around 10-11pm our time

All positive cases have to be confirmed by a second test at national level. The lab is busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Today's figures from China will start being released from about 10pm onwards.

bb12 wrote: »
    china only release their daily figures around 10-11pm our time

.....not that their numbers are anyway believable of course.

China on record tho' asking for help from EU in providing medical supplies...which is kind of odd if at that stage they had less than 10,000 people infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sadly those figures are wrong.

It was more like a 2,500 increase from yesterday to today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Why, do they cure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

When can we expect to know if the passenger who traveled from Moscow is positive or negative? Fingers crossed we dodge this potential bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Should we be wary of Chinese tourists?

imfml wrote: »
    When can we expect to know if the passenger who traveled from Moscow is positive or negative? Fingers crossed we dodge this potential bullet.

Either way, I think it's inevitable that we will see cases here. The longer the delay, the better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement