Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Why, do they cure it?

You leave them under the feet of people coming at you coughing. You can also talk to the people by setting up a can phone with some string after you've finished some beans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

20 French evacuated from China all showing flu symptons - see how this plays out with the other evacuees

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1224059468897538049?s=21

Where is that rom?

This website says different.

That chart is a couple of days old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

catrat12 wrote: »
    We are too laid back as a country

Ah sure it'll be grand ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Why, do they cure it?

No they do not cure it,he may want to stay in his house for a prolonged period of time.Canned food doesn't go off and tends to last many times longer than other foods.

A southern Yemen moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fritzelly wrote: »
    And in 2018 a staggering 154 people died from flu in China, a country where they don't even bother getting a vaccine shot...believe their numbers all you want

Something...no test kits...something...people turned away from hospitals...

Where is the info on annual flu deaths in China?

4,800 people died of flu in the US between January 1st and 17th this year so obviously China with 5 times the population would be many multitudes of that normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Should we be wary of Chinese tourists?

I walked past a Chinese looking chap yesterday and had to hold my breath

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Where is the info on annual flu deaths in China?

4,800 people died of flu in the US between January 1st and 17th this year so obviously China with 5 times the population would be many multitudes of that normally.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177725.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Should we be wary of Chinese tourists?

We won't be getting any for a while.

• Advertisement

Messi19 wrote: »

No use I'm afraid it spreads through the eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

imfml wrote: »
    When can we expect to know if the passenger who traveled from Moscow is positive or negative? Fingers crossed we dodge this potential bullet.

There was a dr on the rte news on Thursday who said Ireland will be able to test for the coronavirus from Monday. So if he's correct the suspected case wont even be tested until tomorrow, and then there'll be a wait for the results. Which makes it even more ridiculous that everyone else on the flight was just sent away with a leaflet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

was talking to a guy who came back from china today. He was not in Wuhan but said that his city/ town was on lock down except for food shops. If you went into a shop they would take your temperature first and everyone had to wear face masks. He said he was temperature checked 3 times going to the airport, once on the road up to the airport and twice in the airport. All on board the aircraft were wearing masks. No check when he arrived in Europe and none in Dublin either. He did say the taxi driver he got was coughing his guts up.

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    There was a dr on the rte news on Thursday who said Ireland will be able to test for the coronavirus from Monday. So if he's correct the suspected case wont even be tested until tomorrow, and then there'll be a wait for the results. Which makes it even more ridiculous that everyone else on the flight was just sent away with a leaflet

Just a leaflet? I wonder mask or gel? Can't see any mention on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

saabsaab wrote: »
    We won't be getting any for a while.

I don’t know about you but I’ve never seen so many

No use I'm afraid it spreads through the eyes!

It was nice knowing you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

And in 2018 a staggering 154 people died from flu in China, a country where they don't even bother getting a vaccine shot...believe their numbers all you want

Something...no test kits...something...people turned away from hospitals...

Did you read the article?
    . An analysis led by Chinese scientists published in The Lancet Public Health in September 2019 found that there were 84,200 to 92,000 flu-related deaths in China each year, accounting for 8.2 percent of all deaths from respiratory diseases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just a leaflet? I wonder mask or gel? Can't see any mention on this.

I heard he got hi-vis from the RSA as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Messi19 wrote: »

You didn't "have" to

You chose to.

• Advertisement

I don’t know about you but I’ve never seen so many

I'd say you just notice them more now. Most would be local and here a while so no risk. You probably are in Dublin a big draw for Chinese.

Did you read the article?

Did you?
    Official Chinese data of flu-caused deaths is much lower, with Chinese CDC data showing that in 2018, there were more than 700,000 cases and 144 deaths

You quoted an "analysis"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

This guy in Wuhan talks about Quarantine Certificates being required before you can be treated in hospital. Also, nontransport, no way to get there if you are sick..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OtLHvNVD87M

You didn't "have" to

You chose to.

I also didn't "have" to be sarcastic. I chose to

Did you?

You quoted an "analysis"

So how many people died of Flu in the US.

Not flu related... Just Flu?

Some conspiracies on twitter at the moment of how a HIV drug appears to cure it to suggest the virus is manufactured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Some conspiracies on twitter at the moment of how a HIV drug appears to cure it to suggest the virus is manufactured.

Manufactured in a bats arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

So how many people died of Flu in the US.
    Not flu related... Just Flu?
    {In M&S voiceover}
    "This is not just Influenza A/B flu, this is 2019-nCoV, flu"

Haven't we been through this a dozen times already...
    I.e. 0.1% vs 2.0% for the 'special' flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I posted similar a few days ago when that theory broke. It has since been debunked and the original paper it was based on has been withdrawn.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1223417307369811968?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

20 French evacuated from China all showing flu symptons - see how this plays out with the other evacuees

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1224059468897538049?s=21

Well that's very worrying

• Advertisement

{In M&S voiceover}

Haven't we been through this a dozen times already...
    I.e. 0.1% vs 2.0% for the 'special' flu.

I’m pointing out that different countries use different analytics when reporting numbers.

Some countries report death by flu. Others report deaths related to flu.

There is a proper analysis in the Article but that user was selective in what they were posting. Simples

I’m pointing out that different countries use different analytics when reporting numbers.

Some countries report death by flu. Others report deaths related to flu.

There is a proper analysis in the Article but that user was selective in what they were posting. Simples

And you were selective in quoting unpublished figures, you know the whole point of the original post - a bit like only 305 deaths, nothing to do with the virus because of this that and the other or being dead before they could be even tested (they don't bother testing dead people)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Ciara Kelly has a good piece in today's Sunday Independent about this country's unpreparedness if the virus reaches here

Fair enough, but we simply won't have a proper idea until there are hundreds of cases in an open western country that can properly observe and report upon them.

As an aside, Britain has just flew in another dozen or so, to stay in hotel d'wirral (almost Island like, with 3 sides on the Irish sea). But they reckon there are 30,000 brits in total over in China.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

GoneHome wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has a good piece in today's Sunday Independent about this country's unpreparedness if the virus reaches here

Do we have those machines for oxygenating blood?

Actually 36 on that French flight - 16 others who had symptoms have been sent to their home countries
    Gonna be a lot of worried people from that flight - pretty much no chance they weren't in contact with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    20% of cases who had already been in a bad enough condition to have presented themselves at a hospital and been tested. With the rate of infection, there are undountably many more infected who have not needed to go to hospital and therefore never been tested who wont be included in the numbers. Most of the deaths so far have occurred in the elderly or those with underlying conditions, the same as flu

Having said that, there is a suspected case in my city today which is making me more nervous about it! Think it's time for a trip to costco to stock up on a few things

Not just that, but in China you have a lot of old people going to the hospital out of fear, and people just go to the hospital rather than the GP.

So, it's kind of a double bind of everybody who is in anyway 'bad' goes to the hospital on top of most people not bothering in general.

Edit: Where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

There’s friction between avoiding hyperbole and conjecture; and looking after yourself and your family by taking the view that governments tend to underplay trouble for a variety of reasons.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Irish authorities just sent a load of people off with a leaflet. And it would worry you given the number of cases dragged back out of China. But at the same time, how much of the “I heard” is BS coming off a chain of WhatsApp groups.

The steps major governments are taking are not in step with just a random but minor virus, is I suppose the biggest thing to keep an eye on when deciding what steps you might need to take in preparation for it continuing.

Did you?

You quoted an "analysis"

Why are we disbelieving the current analysis and believing the past? :P

Fair enough, but we simply won't have a proper idea until there are hundreds of cases in an open western country that can properly observe and report upon them.

As an aside, Britain has just flew in another dozen or so, to stay in hotel d'wirral (almost Island like, with 3 sides on the Irish sea). But they reckon there are 30,000 brits in total over in China.

I agree, IMO ( and I’m guessing ) there’s 100s of thousands of people who would test positive if they went door to door in China.

Also ( and I’m guessing ) there could be 1-2000 people dead in there apartments who lived alone who never made it to hospital.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Well that's very worrying

I'm very conspiracy theory ish lately, but they are government workers I think. So, it is in the West's best interests to isolate China.

I agree, IMO ( and I’m guessing ) there’s 100s of thousands of people who would test positive if they went door to door in China.

Also ( and I’m guessing ) there could be 1-2000 people dead in there apartments who lived alone who never made it to hospital.

They are not testing door to door, but they are going door to door.

Yeah, it's awful but I've actually left starbucks after I saw an Asain dude...
    It was reported Starmucks has closed all it's 2,000 shops in China, Apple as also now closed all it's stores there too. Their economy will take a big step backwards if the can't control the bat-flu within the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jeez, this thread is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Jeez, this thread is mental.

Great entertainment though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not just that, but in China you have a lot of old people going to the hospital out of fear, and people just go to the hospital rather than the GP.

So, it's kind of a double bind of everybody who is in anyway 'bad' goes to the hospital on top of most people not bothering in general.

Edit: Where are you located?

Vegas. I can see how this could be very bad in a city built on tourism, and with so many working in the hospitality industry. But theres been nothing reported about the suspected case (man who had travelled to wuhan) since Wednesday so hopefully that means its negative. Who knows though. The cynic in me can see that they might want to keep a lid on things until after the super bowl which is one of the busiest weekends of the year for visitors here and could be a disaster for spreading of this virus.

If say this virus gets established in a larger Irish town city. Wouldn't it be best to quarantine that city? and stop the spread elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Vegas. I can see how this could be very bad in a city built on tourism, and with so many working in the hospitality industry. But theres been nothing reported about the suspected case (man who had travelled to wuhan) since Wednesday so hopefully that means its negative. Who knows though. The cynic in me can see that they might want to keep a lid on things until after the superbowl which is one of the busiest weekends of the year for visitors here and could be a disaster for spreading of this virus.

The Amity Island Mayor Vaughn syndrome. Probably what went on in the first place in Wuhan. Bets are the CCP will be sending the authorities there down in show trials when this is all over.

• Advertisement

Vegas. I can see how this could be very bad in a city built on tourism, and with so many working in the hospitality industry. But theres been nothing reported about the suspected case (man who had travelled to wuhan) since Wednesday so hopefully that means its negative. Who knows though. The cynic in me can see that they might want to keep a lid on things until after the superbowl which is one of the busiest weekends of the year for visitors here and could be a disaster for spreading of this virus.

Vegas :O What are you up to over there?

If you have some savings, you could probably rent a cheap place away from civilazation for a month, but, as I've said, and as absurd as this is, it might be only delaying the inevitable. It's either going to be bad or it won't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement